Author Topic: Saudi Arabia has severed ties with Qatar  (Read 55329 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: Saudi Arabia has severed ties with Qatar
« Reply #360 on: October 18, 2021, 11:29:26 am »
Out of interest have you seen the documentary ‘Bitter Lake’?

Available in iPlayer and gives some historical context to the points Nobby raises.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: October 18, 2021, 12:45:36 pm »
Assuming the world recalibrates reasonably quickly to solar/wind/green hydrogen, what do states such as UAE, Qatar and Saudi do to make up the shortfall in income? There's a limit to how many tourists they can attract with dubious Disneyfied constructions and shopping malls, you'd have thought. If Shell is right and peak oil hits around 2025 (personally doubt that), they only have a few more years of authoritarian rule keeping a lid on simmering domestic tensions.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: October 18, 2021, 12:52:49 pm »
Assuming the world recalibrates reasonably quickly to solar/wind/green hydrogen, what do states such as UAE, Qatar and Saudi do to make up the shortfall in income? There's a limit to how many tourists they can attract with dubious Disneyfied constructions and shopping malls, you'd have thought. If Shell is right and peak oil hits around 2025 (personally doubt that), they only have a few more years of authoritarian rule keeping a lid on simmering domestic tensions.

I'm pretty sure the Saudis are investing heavily in solar - they have the geography and climate for it. That said it's not really possible to transport electricity from solar around the world like oil. Maybe if hydrogen ends up being used for fuel a lot they can use Solar power to generate hydrogen.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #363 on: October 18, 2021, 01:12:05 pm »
I'm pretty sure the Saudis are investing heavily in solar - they have the geography and climate for it. That said it's not really possible to transport electricity from solar around the world like oil. Maybe if hydrogen ends up being used for fuel a lot they can use Solar power to generate hydrogen.

They could move it a fair distance,the best outcome would be watching the death dealers get their heads lopped off but I'll not hold my breath
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #364 on: October 25, 2021, 07:45:28 pm »
Nothing to see here. Just lies and more lies.

Saudi crown prince suggested killing King Abdullah, ex-official says
Source: BBC

Saudi Arabia's crown prince suggested using a "poison ring" to kill the late King Abdullah, a former top Saudi intelligence official has alleged.

In an interview with CBS, Saad al-Jabri said Mohammed bin Salman told his cousin in 2014 that he wanted to do so to clear the throne for his father.

There were tensions within the ruling family at the time over the succession.

The Saudi government has called Mr Jabri a discredited former official with a long history of fabrication.

In his interview with CBS's 60 Minutes programme Mr Jabri warned that Crown Prince Mohammed - Saudi Arabia's de facto ruler and the son of King Salman - was a "psychopath, killer, in the Middle East with infinite resources, who poses threat to his people, to the Americans and to the planet".

He alleged that at a 2014 meeting the prince suggested to his cousin Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, the then interior minister, that he could arrange the killing of King Abdullah.

"He told him: 'I want to assassinate King Abdullah. I get a poison ring from Russia. It's enough for me just to shake hand with him and he will be done,'" Mr Jabri said.

"Whether he's just bragging... he said that and we took it seriously."

He said the matter was settled privately within the royal court. But he added that the meeting was secretly filmed and that he knew where two copies of the video recording were.

Abdullah died at the age of 90 in 2015 and was succeeded by his half-brother Salman, Mohammed bin Salman's father, who named Mohammed bin Nayef as crown prince.

In 2017, Mohammed bin Nayef was replaced as heir to the throne by Mohammed bin Salman. He also lost his role as interior minister and was reportedly placed under house arrest before being detained last year on unspecified charges.

Mr Jabri fled to Canada after Mohammed bin Nayef was ousted.

He said in the interview that he was warned by a friend in a Middle Eastern intelligence service that Mohammed bin Salman was sending a hit team to kill him in October 2018, just days after Saudi agents murdered the dissident Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Turkey.

He alleged that a six-person team landed at an airport in Ottawa but were deported after customs found they were carrying "suspicious equipment for DNA analysis".

Last year, Mr Jabri accused the crown prince of attempted murder in a civil suit filed in a US federal court.

The prince rejected the allegations. He has also denied any involvement in the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, although US intelligence agencies assessed that he approved the operation.

The BBC has contacted the Saudi government for comment on the allegations.

In a statement sent to CBS, the Saudi embassy in Washington labelled Mr Jabri as "a discredited former government official with a long history of fabricating and creating distractions to hide the financial crimes he committed, which amount to billions of dollars, to furnish a lavish life-style for himself and his family".

Mr Jabri is being sued for corruption by various Saudi entities and a Canadian judge has frozen his assets saying there is "overwhelming evidence of fraud".

He denies stealing any government money, saying his former employers rewarded him generously.

In March 2020, Saudi authorities detained Mr Jabri's son Omar and daughter Sarah in what human rights groups said was an apparent effort to coerce him to return to Saudi Arabia.

Last November, two months after their father sued the crown prince, the siblings were sentenced to nine and six-and-a-half years in prison respectively by a Saudi court after being convicted of money laundering and "attempting to escape" the country. They denied the charges.

An appeals court upheld their sentences in a secret hearing at which they were not present.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: November 5, 2021, 03:05:21 pm »
(Mods - if this contravenes the closing of the specific thread about the murder of David Amess, please delete, but it's meant to be a wider look at the role the Saudi dictatorship plays in the promotion of extremism and how it's brushed under the carpet here for financial reasons, yet has direct - and all too frequently deadly - consequences for us in the West)

With regards to the murderer of David Amess, it's apparent now that he was a radicalised Muslim extremist.

Very much not the first, and certainly won't be the last. We are all still under threat of us or our loved ones being murdered by these brainwashed psychopaths.

It's criminal how little focus is placed on how these people come to be radicalised. When IS were rampaging, there were frequent reports on their recruiting in western countries, and before that the role of Al Qaeda as a recruiting beacon for disaffected young Muslim men.

And yet studies have shown the huge link between the building of mosques with bloody Saudi money, which preach a pernicious and extreme form of Wahhabist Islam, and extremist attitudes. These studies and the general issue have been generally ignored by much of the mainstream media. There were a few years a decade or two ago, when the tabloids had a spell of ranting about 'Mad Mullahs', but never got out the loudhailer to push the direct link with dirty Saudi petrodollars and their Wahhabism.

I have a Muslim friend who's spoken to me about this in detail on a few occasions, and made excellent points about how different the Saudi/Wahhabist version of Islam is, to the peaceful and tolerant Islam that he knows. And he's pointed out how the more extreme preaching has spread through these Saudi-funded mosques. In my mind, I view Wahhbism like the malicious 'fire & brimstone' distortion of Christianity that is prevalent in the US and some other countries.

This is an excellent article from 2017 in the Huff:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/adam-deen/saudi-funded-mosques_b_16825640.html

So why is this not being hammered home to us all? The message that the evil Saudi dictatorship is funding hate and extremism in Islam, and we all - Muslim and non-Muslim alike - have a duty to understand this distinction between 'normal' Islam and the extremist, hate-laden brainwashing promoted by Saudi? And to stop it?

I think we all know. The West is shit-scared of upsetting/offending the evil scumbags who comprise the Saudi dictatorship; that extended and inbred family of vile, corrupt crooks.

For monetary reasons.

The same dictatorship that funds this extremism (and we've not even touched on their even more direct funding & arming of terrorist groups since the 1970s, nor their systematic destruction of Yemen after deciding to involve themselves in a civil war there) has just had the red carpet rolled out for them as they buy a Premier League football club.

And barely a fucking murmur of disapproval from the professional footballing community, from managers to players to journalists to pundits (barring a few principled - and brave - figures like Klopp and David Squires)

I wonder if it will subsequently be discovered that Ali Harbi Ali was a regular in a Saudi-funded mosque, who listened to the extremist sermons from evil turds with their twisted brand of Islam?

If so, I wonder how much of the mainstream media will brush that inconvenient fact under the carpet? And continue to focus on who Saudi Arabia Sportwashing FC might buy in the next transfer window.

As a Muslim man who lived and worked in many middle Eastern countries it's completely different than what you are saying.

There are different groups of Muslims.

-  peacefull moderate Sunni and Shiite. Almost all Muslims are like this.

- Radical Sunni led by people like ( Azzam - Palestinian ) ( bin Laden - Saudi ) ( al-Zawahiri - Egyptian ) and so on. They say all Islamic governments and anyone who doesn't stand up against them is non Muslim and it's ok to be killed for the greater good. They attacked Muslim countries and people more than anything else and used Jihad as an excuse to recruit people , most Muslims consider them criminals and some western countries used them for political reasons to get what they want and provided them with weapons and money.

- Radical Shiite. ( Hezbollah , Houthis , Radical Iranians shitte ) who are brainwashed by shitte Mullahs who gave them heaven passports, if they die they go to heaven and they believe there is a man hiding for thousands of years called Almahdi ( Master of the Era , Master of the Obligation , Imam of time ) and for him to come out they need to lay the foundation for that including the world being fucked up.

Now Radical sunnah who you are talking about. Things changed long time ago, nobody support them, they are chased and prisoned especially by Muslims countries only some western countries for some reason go easy with them and create situations where radicals can feed on. Not only some western Countries are soft with them, if everything is better some drama will happen where the they will easily get weapons and a safe place for them to stay.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: December 7, 2021, 04:08:17 pm »
Jamal Khashoggi: Suspect in murder of journalist arrested

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59561881

A few days after Macron is in Saudi meeting MBS, one of the suspects is arrested in France. Nothing suspicious at all there

A lowly person offered up to help rehabilitate the Saudi state's reputation I think

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: December 8, 2021, 12:16:02 am »
Jamal Khashoggi: Suspect in murder of journalist arrested

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59561881

A few days after Macron is in Saudi meeting MBS, one of the suspects is arrested in France. Nothing suspicious at all there

A lowly person offered up to help rehabilitate the Saudi state's reputation I think

I also smell an arms deal coming up soon.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #368 on: February 28, 2022, 01:13:33 pm »
It's heartening to see the international reaction to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, with the majority of countries opposing Putin's aggression and putting in place measures to 'punish' Russia.

But I also look at Yemen, where Saudi Arabia and some other Gulf State dictatorships are still murdering children and women by the thousand, because they didn't like the new group who overthrew the previous tyrannical dictatorship there. The casualty figures dwarf those in Ukraine.

Where are the sanctions against the Saudi dictatorship and the scum who flaunt their $billions in a way even more ostentatious than the Oligarchs?

Where are the bans on these scumbags travelling?

Where are the sanctions against their banks?

Instead, we keep sucking Saudi cock and selling them the weapons they use to murder innocent women and children in Yemen. We even let them buy a fucking football club to use to sportwash their image (and hundreds of cretinous Geordie bellends celebrate that their club is now owned by an evil, murderous, human rights-oppressing, terrorism-sponsoring oil dictatorship because they're over-entitled c*nts)

When 'the West' is accused of hypocrisy and double standards, and this is used to recruit impressionable young people into questionable (and even terrorist) organisations, this is the sort of duplicity that is so blatantly obvious.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: February 28, 2022, 01:21:33 pm »
Good post, but people just don’t see it unfortunately. If it’s not reported by mainstream media they’ll fail to connect the dots. I agree though, where was the outrage against Man City when the UAE were carpet bombing Yemen? Oh that’s right, no-one gives a shit because it’s Yemen.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: February 28, 2022, 02:47:43 pm »
Good post, but people just don’t see it unfortunately. If it’s not reported by mainstream media they’ll fail to connect the dots. I agree though, where was the outrage against Man City when the UAE were carpet bombing Yemen? Oh that’s right, no-one gives a shit because it’s Yemen.

Unlike Ukraine its bombs we make falling there. We sell them their weapons, they are mates with our Queen and they own far more of the UK, especially London than the Russians do.
Its disgusting.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: February 28, 2022, 11:32:11 pm »
Agree with your post Nobby, hypocrites the lot of em. The same applies to Israel, where are the sanctions? and the boycotts? and the Palestinian flags to show solidarity with the many that are being kicked out of their homes? The irony of the Israelis protesting on the streets of Tel Aviv to stand against injustice but apparently totally oblivious to what’s happening on their own patch. Like I said, they’re all a bunch of hypocrites imo and politics is a dirty game.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: March 1, 2022, 11:36:43 am »

Blatant double standards when the U.S. and UK are both involved in that conflict selling weapons to a coalition bombing their poorer neighbours for 7 years now,led by the Saudi regime who also makes difficult journalists disappear with no sanctions even talked about.

In any case the PL doesn't even acknowledge there's a connection with the respective regimes and the clubs which everyone and their dog knows they clearly directly control.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: March 1, 2022, 01:01:17 pm »
The identity of the victim, and the identity of the aggressor , is the biggest deciding factor in how the aggression gets reported.

Offline RedGuy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: March 1, 2022, 02:24:06 pm »
Agree with your post Nobby, hypocrites the lot of em. The same applies to Israel, where are the sanctions? and the boycotts? and the Palestinian flags to show solidarity with the many that are being kicked out of their homes? The irony of the Israelis protesting on the streets of Tel Aviv to stand against injustice but apparently totally oblivious to what’s happening on their own patch. Like I said, they’re all a bunch of hypocrites imo and politics is a dirty game.
You have no idea what you're talking about. When rockets aren't being shot towards Tel Aviv, it's the center of protests for peace.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #375 on: March 1, 2022, 02:28:48 pm »
You have no idea what you're talking about. When rockets aren't being shot towards Tel Aviv, it's the center of protests for peace.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #376 on: March 15, 2022, 10:56:17 pm »
Blatant double standards when the U.S. and UK are both involved in that conflict selling weapons to a coalition bombing their poorer neighbours for 7 years now,led by the Saudi regime who also makes difficult journalists disappear with no sanctions even talked about.
You won't be getting any sanctions for this and yet it's a conflict our government has been directly active in.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: March 16, 2022, 07:32:44 am »
You won't be getting any sanctions for this and yet it's a conflict our government has been directly active in.

Oh yeah,call the ones you're currently bombing to oblivion all terrorists,make investments and buy all your weapons for billions from the west and you get a free pass.

Offline looneysbin

• Kemlynite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #378 on: March 16, 2022, 09:02:33 am »

https://www.industry.gov.au/data-and-publications/exporting-solar-energy-under-the-sea-a-potential-world-first-for-australian-technology

Looks like it is possible to transport solar energy, or at least it will be. Seems like a no brainer for the Saudis, especially given their location is more favourable for exports to many countries, especially compared to us in Australia at the bottom of the Earth. I wonder if they could also just invest their billions into companies/stock market and continue to make a nice enough profit to keep the lifestyles the Sauds are used to. Desalination/water ownership will definitely be a huge market in the future, I'd imagine they'd be interested in that too given their climate/geography. Who knows what new technologies will emerge and be of interest.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #379 on: March 16, 2022, 10:12:01 am »
Oh yeah,call the ones you're currently bombing to oblivion all terrorists,make investments and buy all your weapons for billions from the west and you get a free pass.
Too true. I try to avoid the media when possible nowadays, you just get fed up after a while shouting "Hey, over here, over here, look, what about this?!!"