Author Topic: Shanklyboy's and Fat Scousers ( Leo who's still alive ) auld arse thread  (Read 4025676 times)

Online the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: For all the auld arses.
« Reply #6080 on: July 29, 2010, 11:00:31 pm »
Connie onnie, hated it but sterry milk really miss it. used to  prefer it to normal milk.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #6081 on: July 29, 2010, 11:21:52 pm »
What does 'Blackpool Ale' mean, caught a scouser talking about it last night on the radio, but didn't catch it all.

Think he might have meant the term referred to cheap shite, slops etc.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #6082 on: July 30, 2010, 06:37:06 am »
Connie Onnie Butties and Dripping on toast. Camp coffee with Sterry milk.Tripe and Kewins wrapped in The Echo....the stuff of Kings.

and jumpers for goalposts
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6083 on: July 30, 2010, 09:23:49 am »

We used to use rags for goalposts Vic........only posh kids had jumpers.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline pooley

• No...! They're not baby wipes!
  • Kopite
« Reply #6084 on: July 30, 2010, 10:39:26 am »
We used to sell our rags at the rag yard,
I wish I could still climb up the drain-pipe that used to be at the back of the toilet that was outside the kop.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6085 on: July 30, 2010, 10:41:49 am »
We used to sell our rags at the rag yard,

No rag and bone man round your way mate?
Give him your Ma's fur coat and he gives you a balloon on a stick!
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline pooley

• Kopite
« Reply #6086 on: July 30, 2010, 10:54:20 am »
They gave you money at the rag yard, I remember getting about two bob for a big pram full of rags, a fortune them days!
I wish I could still climb up the drain-pipe that used to be at the back of the toilet that was outside the kop.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #6087 on: July 30, 2010, 10:58:37 am »
No rag and bone man round your way mate?
Give him your Ma's fur coat and he gives you a balloon on a stick!
;D
Oh did I want one of those, but we never had anything to throw out. I think it was all burnt on the fire in those long cold winters we used to get back then. No wonder we had pea soupers.

There was a Rag and Bone who used to come round West Derby back in the early 60's wıth his horse and cart, never understood a word of what he used to shout out. The horse used to have a nosebag full of oats, something you rarely see these days.

Bit like the guy who used to sell the Echo round the back of St Johns.
"EeeeoaaAAaaooOOoo" or somethıng like that.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6088 on: July 30, 2010, 11:09:46 am »
Cuuuups an Saucers fer raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaags!

As for the delicacies, I only remember most of that stuff from Crimbo hampers.

We was very posh to be honest, choice of two butties on the menu at Chez Fatty...
Brown or red...

Sauce

Oh an Sugar butties. Echo usually, Stork if the aulfella hadn't robbed all the money for the alehouse. Midweek it was down to dripping.

Posh early teens...
Sunday, jump out of bed, play footy all day, come home starving, go the oven to get your dinner, lift the plate off the top - Little brown circles on your plate where the spuds and bit of meat used to be. Take yer carrot and turnip in the living room, look round to see which bastard eat yer roasties, dinner on the floor, plate on yer knee, watch Wish You Were Here and all the girls in bikins, shoot up the bathroom for five minutes, all hands laughing when you came back down, run back down the feild to have another cup final.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6089 on: July 30, 2010, 11:14:01 am »
PS...
Got to dash. Which is just aswell because if I had time, I'd go on a depressing rant about watching LFC last night and for the first time in me life, I felt nothing.

Tell a lie, no fault of Mr Hodgson's, but when I saw him standing on the touchline in he's LFC shirt, was the only time I felt anything....
Sick.

Not the lad's fault, and I've known it for 3 years. But for the first time it really hit me...
I'm not watching Liverpool Football Club. I'm watching H&G United the money making pyramid scheme.

You should be glad I've got to go out, or I'd be taking it all out in here on you bastards....
An if there's anyone who doesn't deserve that, it's you lot.

TTFN.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline pooley

• Kopite
« Reply #6090 on: July 30, 2010, 11:19:07 am »
I reckon you are still fretting over your lost roasties.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6091 on: July 30, 2010, 11:36:39 am »
Does anyone remember the street singers ?
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #6092 on: July 30, 2010, 11:40:28 am »
As in nutters who would just burst out into song in the middle of the pavement?
There was a singing conductor for a while on the No 81 back in about 69-70. Very good as well.

Offline pooley

• Kopite
« Reply #6093 on: July 30, 2010, 11:42:35 am »
I can remember a few streeet performers, that escapoligist feller who used to be tied in a sack at the Pier Head, and a little marching band of ex service-men who used to play tunes on Church Street .

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #6094 on: July 30, 2010, 12:23:32 pm »

There was a Rag and Bone who used to come round West Derby back in the early 60's wıth his horse and cart, never understood a word of what he used to shout out. The horse used to have a nosebag full of oats, something you rarely see these days.

One of the many things that have disappeared down the years, sadly. ANYYYYYYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! it always sounded like that to me.
 That and the coalmen carrying big sacks of coal through the house while you were sitting there eating your tea. And the Alpine van.

I can remember the Salvation Army used to play just around the corner from ours, used to be a big thing for us kids.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6095 on: July 30, 2010, 12:41:43 pm »

Our street was like an Opportunity Knocks audition at the best of times Vic.
At weekends it was even moreso.

I don't remember any actual singers as such, except for Christmas.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6096 on: July 30, 2010, 01:43:39 pm »
;D
Oh did I want one of those, but we never had anything to throw out. I think it was all burnt on the fire in those long cold winters we used to get back then. No wonder we had pea soupers.

Bit like the guy who used to sell the Echo round the back of St Johns.
"EeeeoaaAAaaooOOoo" or somethıng like that.

We scavenged lead pipe from old building sites and got enough money from the rag and bone for an ice lolly or two, Pendletons twicer was a good one. The jingle went "What could be nicer than a Pendletons Twicer"
Night time visits to next door's coal bunker to " borrow" a shovel full after the old shoes ran out.
Agree the winters back then were cold, short pants and all, weren't allowed long pants until you turned 11. Having to wear a scarf over your mouth when there was a pea souper.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2010, 01:42:02 am by L12 »

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #6097 on: July 31, 2010, 02:59:13 am »
No, not really.  It was mostly pay at the gate back in the old days!  One exception was when we drew Everton in the FA Cup ('67 or '68?) and the game was at Goodison.  The interest was so great they decided to simulcast the game to Anfield and they sold 40,000 tickets to watch the TV screens!  I started my place in the queue - for the TV screening - about 100 yards down Priory Road, back up Utting Avenue, up Anfield Road and then the ticket office in the car park.

I got my ticket, though.  But when we got in the game was shown in Black & White, what a letdown.  And it was windy again, and the sheets they used for the screens were blowing like flags!

Another 1-0 defeat, to a brilliant Alan Ball goal.  He chipped a pass to himself between Ron Yeats & Tommy Smith and got on the end to volley it in from an angle.  Great goal.  He always raised his game against Liverpool.  I remember a few years later he scored in front of the Kop for Arsenal.  I think he enjoyed Tommy Smith kicking him all around the pitch.
Victorious and glorious....

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6098 on: July 31, 2010, 05:48:40 am »
Welcome RBTS

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #6099 on: July 31, 2010, 08:09:59 am »

We were so poor we had to use old goalposts as jumpers.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline neil42

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6100 on: July 31, 2010, 08:17:44 am »
Anyone remember the sweets SPANGLES. There was also TUTTI FRUTTIS.

Texans were fuckin horrid.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #6101 on: July 31, 2010, 08:27:46 am »

Lucky Bags and Jubblys..... ;)

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6102 on: July 31, 2010, 08:31:22 am »
;D

My arl fellah told me that when he was a lad he used to help the milkman on his round for a few coppers. One day the horse bit him and actually picked him up by his arm and threw him. The milkman went berserk, sprinted across the road and chinned the bastard.

I remember the ragman telling me once about how people used to try and con him by putting little bits of lead in with their clothes so that they would then weigh more and he'd have to give them more money. In my naivety I asked him why he didn't go back and have a go at them. He said, "Don't be daft lad, I get a fuckin' fortune for all that lead".

I worked at Clatterbridge for a while. Every now and then, the ragman would turn up at the laundry where this old dear used to save all the shagged out sheets and pyjamas for him to collect. She always made him a cuppa and, not so secretly, quite fancied him. We used to call her 'the ragman's strumpet'. Oh how we larfed.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6103 on: July 31, 2010, 08:33:23 am »

Old English Spangles were the best. They were like normal ones but, I think, they all had a liquorice flavour too.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #6104 on: July 31, 2010, 08:33:33 am »

Pea Soupers. I've got vivid memories of walking up to Townrow at about 8.15am with my older sisters in late 60 or 61 to catch the bus to school (ha'penny ticket!) on a bitterly cold November or December morning, scarf round mouth and wearing the obligatory balaclava and woollen gloves(yes..with a string attached running through my coat sleeves so I didn't lose them), and everywhere was enveloped in a strange dirty thick green mist with the background sound of people coughing their guts up. You couldn't even make out the number on the bus until it was about 10 feet away. All the houses would have dirty smoke coming out of their chimneys like Puffing Billy. Smokeless zones and fuel thankfully put an end to all that.

The winters were colder back then though or seemed to start earlier than these days. I'm pretty sure we used to get frosts in the morning around Duckapple and Bonfire night. ......and the hoar frost was on the inside of the windows in the mornings, no central heating back then.

The coalman! They must have been hard as nails those guys. I don't remember them using sack trucks, just muscle power, carrying the coal in hessian bags on their backs from the lorry and dumping it in the bunker. They would be absolutely filthy with the coal dust.

There's so many little things like that from our childhood, all now disappeared. It really is a different world these days, and in truth probably a lot better thankfully.

Pendletons Twicer. The ones with ice cream inside the outer lolly ice? What was the name of the ices that had some kind of joke or saying of the day on the stick, revealed after you'd ate them?

Anyone remember the sweets SPANGLES....

Spangles....Spearmint were the best, but really difficult to get hold of just like spearmint Arrow bars, I think they sold out very quickly. The little sweet shop run by the 'Twins' on the corner of Craven road and Deysbrook never ever had them, but Shillingtons on Townrow sometimes did, and 1d plain orange lolly ices that were just huge.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6105 on: July 31, 2010, 08:55:49 am »
Ah Pendleton's ice-cream. I mentioned it about 80 pages ago but there were no takers. We used to have a bloke on a big back-to-front, three-wheeler bike with an ice-box. He used come around on Sundays ringing a big old-fashioned school bell (remember the thrill of being picked as the one to ring the school bell - no neither do I, some fuckin' swat always used to get picked).
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline neil42

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6106 on: July 31, 2010, 09:26:49 am »
Others thatcome to mind were TREATS, and MOJOs.

The weirdest crisps have to be the Hedgehog flavour.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #6107 on: July 31, 2010, 10:50:00 am »
Others thatcome to mind were TREATS, and MOJOs.

Toffee treats were orgasmic..

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #6108 on: July 31, 2010, 01:53:32 pm »

Spangles i.e coloured glass, nasty if they got stuck in the roof of your mouth!

Aztec anyone?....a poor mans Mars Bar brought out around the time of the 1970 Olympics.

Walkers toffee were lovely, they were individually wrapped, and you bought them in ounces from the big jars.

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #6109 on: July 31, 2010, 02:16:34 pm »
Spangles i.e coloured glass, nasty if they got stuck in the roof of your mouth!

Aztec anyone?....a poor mans Mars Bar brought out around the time of the 1970 Olympics.

Walkers toffee were lovely, they were individually wrapped, and you bought them in ounces from the big jars.

Black Jacks and Fruit Salads a penny each..Sherbert Dip with the liquorice stick that you 'dipped' then licked the sherbert off...mmmm.

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #6110 on: July 31, 2010, 02:18:19 pm »
Four Walkers for a penny, Bazooka Joe chewy and a stick of Spanish
Victorious and glorious....

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6111 on: July 31, 2010, 02:21:49 pm »
Fruit salads, sour grapes and a quarter of treacle toffees whilst squirting tar bubbles in the street.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline pooley

• Kopite
« Reply #6112 on: July 31, 2010, 03:26:52 pm »
 The sweet shop by us, used to have an halfpenny tray and a penny tray. I imagine it used to really piss off, blokes coming in for 5 woodbines, having to wait while some snotty nosed kid takes an eternity to decide what to have off the penny tray.
Does anyone remember the house at the back at the Albert where you could park your bike in their back yard for a small fee.
I always used to love it at the match when all the coppers used to march around the pitch at three quarter time, accompanied by the kop whistling the Laurel and Hardy theme :).

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6113 on: July 31, 2010, 03:32:45 pm »
I had a mate who lived in Kemlyn Road. They used to end up with the odd ball in their back yard - you have to remember Yeatsy was playing in them days.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #6114 on: July 31, 2010, 03:48:07 pm »
Anyone seen those 'trad' sweet shops open lately, there's one in the Swan and one in Huyton Village.

They're called 'A Quarter Of Sweets' and they sell loads of traditional type of sweets, loads from jars etc, great to see.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #6115 on: July 31, 2010, 03:50:08 pm »
Does anyone remember the house at the back at the Albert where you could park your bike in their back yard for a small fee.
My dad on Kemlyn Rd used to supplement his pocket money before the war doing that. Had many regular customers.

I always used to love it at the match when all the coppers used to march around the pitch at three quarter time, accompanied by the kop whistling the Laurel and Hardy theme :).
;D
It's a shame little spontaneous things like that have all but disappeared.
I suppose the collective conscious isn't quite what it used to be.
Half the kids these days wouldn't know who L&H were.

I still think the rendition of "Who's up Mary Brown" (to the tune of Knees up Mother Brown) that greeted Tommy Docherty when he appeared on the touchline was just about one of the funniest things I ever heard. I don't know which genious started that but he should have got a medal. :)

Black Jacks and Fruit Salads a penny each..

You must be young.  I remember them being 4 for a 1d, and that's an old one as well.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #6116 on: July 31, 2010, 04:15:24 pm »
Me Nan used to have a corner shop in the 60's selling all these, can still taste them when I put my mind to it. I can remember the first day that cheese and onion crisps came out, Golden Wonder I think. The taste was much stronger than today's and much better.

Had forgotten all about that. Nice to come in here now and again and take a step back in time. Amazing the things that you forget.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 04:50:53 pm by redprodigal »

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6117 on: July 31, 2010, 04:25:08 pm »
I just got approved to login to the RAWK board and had to head over to the owl @rse thread and say ‘Hello’.
I’ve been lurking for a while, now, and really enjoyed this thread.  Just want to say to FS, “You fat b@stard!”
Thanks for letting me in!

Enjoyed that mate....even though you are a hamshank now.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6118 on: July 31, 2010, 04:30:21 pm »
Don't yer mean a septic.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6119 on: July 31, 2010, 04:33:31 pm »
aaah uncle joe's mint balls, loved sucking them