Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 591370 times)

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
Re: Curtis Jones
« Reply #3040 on: January 21, 2022, 03:37:40 pm »
Very impressive yesterday. Showing real growth and skill. Was a monster in the middle!

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #3041 on: January 21, 2022, 03:38:35 pm »
I feel like Dele Alli would probably object to being compared to Jordan Ibe ;D

They were just two players I could think of whose career went backwards when their star was on the rise, Deli obviously less so but backwards nevertheless
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3042 on: January 21, 2022, 03:49:49 pm »
A superb protector of the football, whilst being very capable of creating dangerous situations. A fantastic combination which should see him be a fixture in the first team squad for 10/12 years.

He's the closest we've got to Gini in terms of what he brought to the midfield. It's just a question of experience.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3043 on: January 21, 2022, 04:23:08 pm »
is there an all touches video for this game from him? he really was excellent.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3044 on: January 21, 2022, 04:25:23 pm »
is there an all touches video for this game from him? he really was excellent.
https://twitter.com/lfc_comps/status/1484501348758478849?s=21
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3047 on: January 21, 2022, 04:30:42 pm »

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3048 on: January 21, 2022, 08:52:26 pm »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3049 on: January 21, 2022, 09:06:31 pm »

From https://mobile.twitter.com/petemotz/status/1363464738391351305
Thiago WOW also. He been very impressive so far would like to see his passing keep getting better also.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3050 on: January 21, 2022, 09:08:09 pm »
Which constellation is that?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3051 on: January 21, 2022, 09:12:33 pm »
Zug system, I think.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3053 on: January 21, 2022, 09:35:31 pm »
That chart shows that after is slightly better in progressive passes. 😊
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3054 on: January 21, 2022, 11:08:54 pm »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #3055 on: January 22, 2022, 02:33:29 am »
Can also see why Kovacic passes the eye test.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3056 on: January 22, 2022, 09:06:40 am »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #3057 on: January 23, 2022, 10:15:48 am »
Was a real break out performance for him v Arsenal, big game and he was fantastic, carried the ball so well on the counter and great technical ability in tight spaces.  Confidence is not a problem for him, its now time for him to show how good he really is.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3058 on: February 6, 2022, 06:43:10 pm »
Not great today, but clearly rusty like many others from the break.

I’m curious as to what our plan is with him though. He’s competent and capable enough to be a box-to-box midfielder like Gini was in this side. He’s certainly got all the attributes to be a regular for us. However, he hasn’t been a consistent attacking threat during his time in the first team. Which is surprising, because when he first broke through, all of his best moments were in and around the opposition box.

If our plan is to develop him into a Gini/Henderson/Milner mould, I think he’s coming along nicely.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3059 on: February 6, 2022, 11:04:53 pm »

I’m curious as to what our plan is with him though. He’s competent and capable enough to be a box-to-box midfielder like Gini was in this side. He’s certainly got all the attributes to be a regular for us. However, he hasn’t been a consistent attacking threat during his time in the first team. Which is surprising, because when he first broke through, all of his best moments were in and around the opposition box.

If our plan is to develop him into a Gini/Henderson/Milner mould, I think he’s coming along nicely.

I strongly believe that this is not the case. When Jurgen comes out praising him, it is usually after the games where Curtis takes on players, plays a few cutting edge passes and generally is forceful around the box. That is what got him into the team and it is what will keep him there.

I don't believe that Jurgen is trying to turn him into a more defensive-minded player at all. One of Jurgen's hallmarks as a coach is improving players at what they are already good at and enabling them to hit new heights. Curtis broke through as a dashing attacking midfielder. Since then, he has been inconsistent and has had too many anonymous games where he takes the safe option. And he seems to find himself on the bench when that happens. Personally, I would rather he played a bit more freely as he has the ability to do it and that is where I think he brings value to the team. We brought in Thiago to replace Gini. I think that says a lot about how Jurgen views the role.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3060 on: February 6, 2022, 11:21:36 pm »
Thought he was poor today and very selfish in possession, i get that he has scored some bangers from outside the box but the amount of times he fails to pick his head up and even attempt to find a pass is very frustrating

Its like in middle of the pitch hes very progressive, beats players, drives forward, finds pockets of space. But when he gets in that final 3rd he just tends to lose any and all creativity and becomes very boring with his pass choices or just shoots

Compared to Elliot who came on in the RCM 8 he just seems to offer creativity everywhere. I think Curtis will be a quality depth player but dont thin he will ever be a starter for us long term.

As that chart shows, hes very good at carrying the ball and driving forward but he clearly lacks the killer ball which is just as important when you open up that space in front of you after carrying it past players. But time and again i see him beat players, open up space and then just dribble into a brick wall, pass back or lose the ball.

Online UNO

• Kopite
« Reply #3061 on: February 6, 2022, 11:28:20 pm »
The problem with Jones is that he never sees the situation around him before he gets the ball. Every time he receives the pass, he stops, make some minor movements trying to get pass the defending player in front of him, then he passes the ball to his teammates when all possible opportunities are lost! The best example is the instance when he gets Tsimicas offside after fiddling on the ball meaninglessly while Tsim is getting into a great position. His performance today is horrible. It’s even worst when you compare him with the quick thinking, quick passing Elliot who makes the team run much more smoothly and efficiently! Jones really needs to improve quickly otherwise he will be way behind Elliot in the team selection.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3062 on: February 6, 2022, 11:30:11 pm »

I think the plan is a mold into an Thiago type MFer. He looks like a controller type Mf where Elliott the Penetration final 3rd type. Jones has the talent to do it just takes to time to learn and do it more constantly. He getting there more and more.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #3063 on: February 6, 2022, 11:54:00 pm »
Yeah, not great today but since the start of the year it's been nice to see him get games after a stop/start frustrating season. With presumably a couple of our elder midfielders leaving in the summer there's going to be plenty of time and chances for Jones to impress, and in the long term I've always thought he'll be a key player for us going forward. I'm probably more interested to see where Jones will be more than any other player when Klopp (likely) leaves in a couple of years from now.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3064 on: February 7, 2022, 01:06:16 am »
I think the plan is a mold into an Thiago type MFer. He looks like a controller type Mf where Elliott the Penetration final 3rd type. Jones has the talent to do it just takes to time to learn and do it more constantly. He getting there more and more.

I think he's got it in his locker to do both. The big difference between good and top class is that ability to get forward at pace and then keep progressing at the opposition defence. He breaks quickly forward multiple times today, receives the ball moving forward with really good first touch but instead of just continuing the pace, he slows down and stops and allows the defence to organise and this kills our attacks. He's got to keep working on that aspect to keep the tempo of the game high. He's progressing but he needs more games too. We need to be patient.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3065 on: February 7, 2022, 02:29:00 am »
I think he's got it in his locker to do both. The big difference between good and top class is that ability to get forward at pace and then keep progressing at the opposition defence. He breaks quickly forward multiple times today, receives the ball moving forward with really good first touch but instead of just continuing the pace, he slows down and stops and allows the defence to organise and this kills our attacks. He's got to keep working on that aspect to keep the tempo of the game high. He's progressing but he needs more games too. We need to be patient.
Thiago can do both too which is good thing. Jones gets to learn from the best in Thiago too. He pretty good already but just turned 21 years old, I expect him to keep improving at it.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3066 on: February 7, 2022, 09:47:48 am »
I think his decision making definitely needs to improve, he's had quite a few instances recently where he's almost purposely not gone for the obvious pass when the obvious pass was....pretty obvious. But he's only just turned 21, and I'm not sure I know many of that sort of age or younger who have their decision making nailed already (except Harvey, which might end up being a problem for Curtis....)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3067 on: February 7, 2022, 09:48:23 am »
The idea that what’ll keep Jones in the team at LCM if he creates and scores is so different to what we normally ask of our LCM that I’m not sure it can be right. Given the way we play we don’t need him to score and create and we don’t make those criteria determinative for our other CMs. Perhaps the issue is he’s not great defensively AND he’s not brilliant around the box. Thiago is a brilliant progressive the ball and brilliant defensively and mainly stays behind the ball so isn’t in the box. Jones doesn’t do much in the box either but also doesnt give enough defensively yet.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2022, 10:02:17 am by Knight »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3068 on: February 7, 2022, 02:50:55 pm »
Agree with a lot of what's been said about his recent performances.  He's a bit of an odd player in that he does have the skill and drive to progress the ball, but not the passing vision or range of someone like Elliott once he's created the space for himself.  Feels like he's better at creating opportunities for himself instead of others.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3069 on: February 7, 2022, 04:47:21 pm »
Agree with a lot of what's been said about his recent performances.  He's a bit of an odd player in that he does have the skill and drive to progress the ball, but not the passing vision or range of someone like Elliott once he's created the space for himself.  Feels like he's better at creating opportunities for himself instead of others.

Isn’t this the reason Klopp had an honest conversation with him? There is something that looked to block his progress at the moment that only he knows.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3070 on: February 7, 2022, 09:55:35 pm »
'Recent performances'. The game before last he was pretty brilliant away at Arsenal - it's a strange thing, the human brain.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3071 on: February 7, 2022, 11:14:45 pm »
'Recent performances'. The game before last he was pretty brilliant away at Arsenal - it's a strange thing, the human brain.

Young player being inconsistent shocker!

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3072 on: February 7, 2022, 11:22:55 pm »
Young player being inconsistent shocker!
god help all of us when it happens to Harvey.

Offline mercurial

• Legacy Fan
  • Lost my mind, let me know if you spot it
« Reply #3073 on: February 8, 2022, 07:48:13 am »

What is his assist rate? I think he creates enough for others. Not always do you need to make the final pass, if he can bring the ball into the opposing third then we must appreciate that. It’s not easy to progress the ball and create spaces. Look at how firmino is valuable to the team. I think prople get taken in by dribbles, assists and jazzy play and the more  fundamental aspects are undervalued. You don’t need a team with 5 messi playing in there. It would be unbalanced.
Kenny: "We play the way we want to play. We play to the style that suits us, no disrespect to other clubs but we don't focus on anybody else"

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3074 on: February 8, 2022, 07:57:50 am »
What is his assist rate? I think he creates enough for others. Not always do you need to make the final pass, if he can bring the ball into the opposing third then we must appreciate that. It’s not easy to progress the ball and create spaces. Look at how firmino is valuable to the team. I think prople get taken in by dribbles, assists and jazzy play and the more  fundamental aspects are undervalued. You don’t need a team with 5 messi playing in there. It would be unbalanced.
https://fbref.com/en/players/4fb9c88f/Curtis-Jones
His Progressive passing is low right now but basically everything else is 80th if not 90th percentile.

Online Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3075 on: February 8, 2022, 08:36:02 am »
https://fbref.com/en/players/4fb9c88f/Curtis-Jones
His Progressive passing is low right now but basically everything else is 80th if not 90th percentile.

Decent pressure numbers but he's not good defensively at the moment which is a problem given the way we play.

Online RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3076 on: February 8, 2022, 11:39:01 am »
My one criticism of him at the moment is that he hangs onto the ball far too much, and when you come up against sides who are defensively compact then what you want from the your players is for them to move the ball quickly.

Game on Sunday v Cardiff, it was noticeably better when Harvey came on he was passing the ball a lot more quickly than Curtis. Granted it could be argued that Cardiff were tiring so their pressing was less effective but I think it’s the one part of his game that he can do to work on.

Obviously I’m being hyper critical of a very young lad who has an amazing ceiling for his talent to flourish, but yeah sometimes some teams require us to hold onto the ball and make something happen and sometimes you need to recycle possession quickly to counteract a side who sit back.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3077 on: February 9, 2022, 07:48:31 am »
My one criticism of him at the moment is that he hangs onto the ball far too much, and when you come up against sides who are defensively compact then what you want from the your players is for them to move the ball quickly.

People can say he is young and inconsistency is part of it. Fair play

However he is VERY consistent at dribbling into brick walls and failing to pass the ball off. This is not inconsistency, he does it regularly. Its his weakest part of his game and people can claim our 8s dont need to create, thats bs. They might not be the last pass before a goal but the amount of times, keita, thiago and even henderson pass a ball to someone with space who then assists the goal is huge compared to Curtis.

He dribbles into dead ends or blind alleys way too often and makes us super predictable when playing against low block teams.

Online Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3078 on: February 9, 2022, 08:44:24 am »
That might be true but it's also true that we can be very predictable in passing the ball side to side against a low block and having players able to receive and dribble into tight spaces is very helpful.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #3079 on: February 9, 2022, 10:11:49 am »
Not having any of this, he has off days of course, but when he came on vs Arsenal he opened them up plenty and if he had longer we would have won that first leg. His style of play means he will fail to take it past someone at times and will miss a pass sometimes but he is great with the ball at his feet and he provides a very direct option for us.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks