Author Topic: Liverpool supporters attacked in Seville  (Read 12698 times)

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool supporters attacked in Seville
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2017, 01:03:57 am »
Which half is bollocks in what I said?
I've often stayed and had another beer instead of getting into a ground early (knowing I will have a more difficult time in getting in, that's the bad influence of enjoying myself with friends on the beer), but if I can, yes I do try to be 'holloier than thou' (as you put it) to avoid such hassle, and take the edge off what should be an enjoyable away trip.

I also collected my tickets from the Hotel and walked to the stadium with plenty of time. Yes it's questionable why the club had us do this with such time restraints? (But that's a different debate).

As I Said at the beginning of my first post, there will be some that disagree with my comments, So I hope you had a good trip (and many more ) SwedenRed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byvatwa5Pfw

Have a cup of tea and and listen to that. Football supporters should be able to go to matches without having to get in an hour before to prevent being abused, we shouldn't have to put up with antiquated policing and stewarding. You got in early and had no problem. I'm pleased for you, thats the way it should be for all our and any other teams fans. I'm not naive  I've been to loads of aways, including the likes of Old Trafford in the Seventies and Eighties,  and know the score and probably would try and get the ground handy for some European aways, probably including Seville because of the bad rep of their police and stewards but that's not the point.  By all accounts, and talking to mates who were caught up in it who I know I can trust, the policing and stewarding could have caused a serious incident last night if there hadn't been restraint and self policing from the majority of Liverpool fans, who only wanted to go the match on time, get in safely and not be treated like a criminal. Why shouldn't we actually have a laugh or enjoy the experience of going to the match without being humiliated or worse having our safety compromised.

The danger in what your emphasising is that inherent in it, is an acceptance that football fans should have to jump through hoops to avoid being policed in this way. But the main point isn't that, it is that Policing like this is dangerous, counterproductive and rather than preventing problems, actually causes problems.

Just because you turn up half an hour before kick off doesn't make it acceptable to punch women in the face indiscriminately or have no system for checking bags of those on daytrips or have a functioning reclaim system, it doesn't make it right that fans are treated like a mass of hooligans rather than isolating any that cause problems. Just because we've been treated like cattle for years doesn't make it right that we should have to endure some of the things we accept as normal. You got in early but you were still kept in despite loads having to get flights back for work etc.  maybe if that had of effected you, you might feel different, who knows. At the very least why not communicate with the fans, explain whats happening. We're hardly calling for groundbreaking stuff here, just  basic efficient organisation that can be planned for.

This isn't about us arguing amongst ourselves, that's not the point. I'm not giving you any grief at all, been involved in enough incidents like this to know that people can have totally different experiences, sometimes purely by chance. I just think you're wrong on what you're emphasising  There is a pattern here at Seville. This has happened to Spurs Leicester and now Liverpool, should we wait till there's real carnage at Seville because of their policy of treating away fans as hooligans, and someone gets seriously injured or worse, someone gets killed before saying their methods of policing cause safety problems that can seriously jepodise safety. It's wrong and as football fans shouldn't have to put up with it anymore. Those who had bad experiences should contact the club.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 01:52:26 am by The 92A »
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2017, 09:30:28 am »
Any signs of ticketless fans tyrying to get in en masse? That is being trotted out on G.O.T
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2017, 09:32:28 am »
Any signs of ticketless fans tyrying to get in en masse? That is being trotted out on G.O.T

Why even bother airing their shite?

Offline cheshiremike

• Podcast/Youtube Addict. Sworn enema of CheshireDave
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2017, 09:44:55 am »
I honestly see this as an over reaction.

Most euro aways police are heavy handed and as fans following an English team police will always be that way.
We have a bad rep from all those years ago (All English teams)

They tried to get into a stadium with bags full of electrical equipment when we were told not to attempt to go in with bags.

Police being dicks and heavy handed is part and parcel of euro aways like it or not.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2017, 11:59:42 am »
Why even bother airing their shite?
So the soft c*nts can be told otherwise.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2017, 12:08:56 pm »

There’s always a few ticketless fans trying to get in at big aways. 

They were the same in Madrid a few years ago heavy handed and the in the square the day/night before.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2017, 12:34:15 pm »
I honestly see this as an over reaction.

Most euro aways police are heavy handed and as fans following an English team police will always be that way.
We have a bad rep from all those years ago (All English teams)

They tried to get into a stadium with bags full of electrical equipment when we were told not to attempt to go in with bags.

Police being dicks and heavy handed is part and parcel of euro aways like it or not.

Were you there?

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2017, 12:35:17 pm »
Suppose you could argue the same about any area of our lives. It's shite just accept it. Some do that some want to change things.  Made up that the previous generation didn't think that way about dying because there was no healthcare 😃

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2017, 01:13:45 pm »
There’s always a few ticketless fans trying to get in at big aways. 

They were the same in Madrid a few years ago heavy handed and the in the square the day/night before.
I know the odd few try and jib in. I'm 6"2 and an absolute grock of a bizzie tried to push my chest through my spine in Madrid after I had been let through by a steward. They take no shit for sure, even when no shit given.

Offline cheshiremike

• Anny Roader
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2017, 01:40:04 pm »
Were you there?

No but have been all over europe watching them over the years so know what it is like.

Obviously seen the videos.

Not saying it is right but every euro away i go i do expect the police to be heavy handed. European cup final i got battered badly lost site for a good 5mins from tear gas all done by the police.

Got beatings in Barcelona, Turin and Madrid from the local plod. Once again not acceptable but expected on euro away

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2017, 02:46:11 pm »
No but have been all over europe watching them over the years so know what it is like.

Obviously seen the videos.

Not saying it is right but every euro away i go i do expect the police to be heavy handed. European cup final i got battered badly lost site for a good 5mins from tear gas all done by the police.

Got beatings in Barcelona, Turin and Madrid from the local plod. Once again not acceptable but expected on euro away

So this has been going on since 2004? (I assume Turin was the Juve away in 2004). Do they club know? What are they/UEFA doing about it.

It wouldn't be acceptable if GMP acted like this to Liverpool/Everton fans or vice verse so why should it be acceptable behaviour for foreign police.

If it is usual police behaviour, and after the scenes in Catalonia maybe that is the case, then the club should issue warnings or advise fans not to go.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2017, 04:16:08 pm »
This was the headline caption to images on Spanish telly the night before game, showing a group of Reds standing and singing outside a bar (O'Neills I think possibly) - one had a flare. It was roughly translated by the staff in the bar we we're in as........'Beware Seville the Liverpool Hooligans are in town.'
That's the day before game before any of the trouble fans faced at the ground.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2017, 06:12:36 pm »
I have just been on the official site, they have an email address for anyone who wants to tell of their experiences.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/282176-update-for-supporters-on-sevilla-experiences
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2017, 07:11:19 pm »
I have just been on the official site, they have an email address for anyone who wants to tell of their experiences.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/282176-update-for-supporters-on-sevilla-experiences

Not sure what the outcome will be ( Seville forfeit the game 3-0 ;)) but hopefully it may prevent similar behaviour if Seville play an English team ant time soon. And that could be a possibility in the knock out stages.

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2017, 08:00:11 pm »
So this has been going on since 2004? (I assume Turin was the Juve away in 2004). Do they club know? What are they/UEFA doing about it.

It wouldn't be acceptable if GMP acted like this to Liverpool/Everton fans or vice verse so why should it be acceptable behaviour for foreign police.

If it is usual police behaviour, and after the scenes in Catalonia maybe that is the case, then the club should issue warnings or advise fans not to go.
WTF?
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline wewonit5timesinistanbul

• Kopite
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2017, 08:54:30 pm »
This was the headline caption to images on Spanish telly the night before game, showing a group of Reds standing and singing outside a bar (O'Neills I think possibly) - one had a flare. It was roughly translated by the staff in the bar we we're in as........'Beware Seville the Liverpool Hooligans are in town.'
That's the day before game before any of the trouble fans faced at the ground.

Spanish news reports were about O’Neil’s. Was there until they closed bar(apparently closed early on police advice) absolutely no sign of trouble but just a lot of singing going on. I suppose O’Neil’s has a lot of complaints from local residents about the noise so maybe good idea to close early but to report on Liverpool hooligans was a piss take. On Tuesday one of the lads said that he went to euros watching wales and that sort of behaviour was reported as welsh fans enjoying themselves at their first European championship and how they have brought a bit of a carnival atmosphere to the euros. 

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2017, 09:37:29 pm »
nowhere near as bad as Athens 07, i still have nightmares about it.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2017, 10:59:29 pm »
WTF?

Who fancy's getting a whack over the head from some Spanish riot cop yearning for the days of Franco?

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2017, 09:02:07 am »
Who fancy's getting a whack over the head from some Spanish riot cop yearning for the days of Franco?
Feel free to pass your tickets my way mate. ;)
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2017, 09:43:04 am »
Feel free to pass your tickets my way mate. ;)

My European travels are a thing of the past.

The club is doing the right thing, collating evidence of poor policing and, maybe, stadium management. As a fan base we, and others, ha ve suffered for this in the past.

It may be advancing old age but things like Seville and the troubles in the City with the Hadjuk fans and Atalanta and their German mercenaries is a bit concerning, particularly when our local neighbours have been fined for illegally using children as weapons. ;)

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2017, 12:50:11 pm »

Dont agree with this. Ive been going regularly since Lahti away, and I would definitely say it is NOT part and parcel of travelling to Euro aways. I didnt experience any of what went on in Seville fortunately, but it was definitely heavily handled before and after the game by the riot police. However, this was pretty much the only time imo that the police were heavy handed. Im trying to think of anywhere I have been with Liverpool where it wasnt. I cant think of any.

Offline cheshiremike

• Anny Roader
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2017, 03:04:28 pm »
Dont agree with this. Ive been going regularly since Lahti away, and I would definitely say it is NOT part and parcel of travelling to Euro aways. I didnt experience any of what went on in Seville fortunately, but it was definitely heavily handled before and after the game by the riot police. However, this was pretty much the only time imo that the police were heavy handed. Im trying to think of anywhere I have been with Liverpool where it wasnt. I cant think of any.

You must walk around with eyes shut then.

Athens?

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2017, 04:16:39 pm »
You must walk around with eyes shut then.

Athens?

That was 10 years ago.  Is it happening regularly / consistently?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2017, 08:28:52 pm »

I personally think it is a case of training and experience.

When I was a teenager in Northern Ireland I went to every away game for several years during the troubles. I saw a lot of trouble too, but it was always fans causing the trouble and the police forming a wall to protect one side from the aggressors. At the time there was probably no better police force in the world in terms of training and experience for dealing with a crowd, including a hostile one. For them, this was probably easy overtime compared to what they were used to during marching season, for example.

Whereas for the Seville game, that is probably the scariest moment of their careers having to deal with away fans. The expect trouble, expect aggression and therefore react to everything instead of having the training and experience to draw on to know the difference between a frustrated crowd and a hostile one.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2017, 11:11:35 am »
One lad I know through his dad, fell over a low barrier outside the ground with a number of other fans as  the crowd were being held, as they got to their feet they were asked to show their tickets, which they did. Their tickets were then taken off them outside denying them entry.

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2017, 11:49:17 am »
I am a veteran of Euro aways since the late 70’s. I didn’t go this time, but have mates who did.

The Spanish Police are a law unto themselves. They are what they are. If you go to an away in Spain you know what to expect.

There can be little doubt from the reports I have heard first hand that the serial aggression, and hostility towards visiting fans was present as usual. UEFA need to do more. It is not just British fans which suffer this fate.

It is also true that there is a tradition amongst a significant minority of our support to attempt to gain entry  by a variety of means at Euro aways ,arriving late when the pressure for admission is at its height.

The Spanish football authorities and Police need to change their attitude to Policing at football. But it would be naïve to think that a few of our own could not do with changing their behaviour too.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:01:44 pm by whiteboots »

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2017, 12:36:57 pm »
Hopefully more people will know what to expect in Spain. As has been said their Police are a law unto themselves so know what to expect.

Having said that one of my best ever away trips was to Seville when we played Betis in 2005/6, got on great with the away fans and Police. Invited to drink in their bar outside the ground (they drink whiskey btw) and then all posing with flags outside for the photos.

Long walk back into town though after the game, hotel was right next to Sevilla's ground.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2017, 01:01:36 pm »
Hopefully more people will know what to expect in Spain. As has been said their Police are a law unto themselves so know what to expect.

Having said that one of my best ever away trips was to Seville when we played Betis in 2005/6, got on great with the away fans and Police. Invited to drink in their bar outside the ground (they drink whiskey btw) and then all posing with flags outside for the photos.

Long walk back into town though after the game, hotel was right next to Sevilla's ground.

Yep, was there too. No issues beforehand and kept in after but plenty of scarf swapping going on. Definitely one of my favourite aways.