Author Topic: Lawless Liverpool?  (Read 180620 times)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Lawless Liverpool?
« Reply #120 on: May 6, 2018, 08:50:53 am »
20 year old stabbed to death on wood street last night  :(

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: May 6, 2018, 12:06:27 pm »
Heard about that this morning. Awful news. Carrying a knife is a totally shithouse thing to do. Becoming more widespread too ☹️
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #122 on: May 6, 2018, 11:26:34 pm »
They are out... they are out in force.

Horrible vibe on Smithdown the past few days.

Ohhh the okey cokey...
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: May 8, 2018, 02:55:10 pm »
John Kinsella shot dead, there's a big name for you. The guy who Gerrard's dad appeared as a character witness for in a trial once - he had 'fixed' the problems Stevie was having with George 'Psycho' Bromley Jr.

I'd love to be privy to all the ins and outs of the Liverpool underworld to be honest, it's fascinating to me

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2018, 11:45:42 pm »
Wasn’t sure where to put this and didn’t want to start a new thread. Anyone know what was going on along Aigburth road earlier? Maybe about 8:30 this evening? Police cars bombing it up and down, then headed up towards Sefton park? One stopped at the vale as if they were looking for someone or something by the subway? I’ve searched online and can’t find anything.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2018, 05:48:21 pm »
Wasn’t sure where to put this and didn’t want to start a new thread. Anyone know what was going on along Aigburth road earlier? Maybe about 8:30 this evening? Police cars bombing it up and down, then headed up towards Sefton park? One stopped at the vale as if they were looking for someone or something by the subway? I’ve searched online and can’t find anything.
Sorry, I don't know, but it's been endless sirens around the area since Saturday. I heard there was murder in pretty much every pub on Lark Lane after the Final on Saturday. I wasn't there, but there were police flying around all over the place that night. Police have also been called to something around the fair on the Revue Field in the park over the weekend. They were searching around on foot and by car. There we also loads of car break-ins at the flats around Croxteth Gate on Sunday and Monday nights. Felt like a madhouse over the last few days. That fair attracts a lot of absolute gobshites every year.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05:52:37 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2018, 11:32:30 am »
That rat Carl Madigan’s been found guilty of murdering Sam Cook. Hope he gets 20+ years, reading about what he did to the poor lad over the last few days has been horrific.

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2018, 12:07:18 pm »
That rat Carl Madigan’s been found guilty of murdering Sam Cook. Hope he gets 20+ years, reading about what he did to the poor lad over the last few days has been horrific.
The horrible little bastards.All of them obviously knowing whats gone on and acting like nothings happened.That video is grim

MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2018, 12:11:47 pm »
Killer of Sam Cook convicted of murder (he admitted manslaughter), jury took less than a day to convict him, thats him lifed off with a minumum sentence of 20 odd years I would think, exactly what he deserves but sadly it will not discourage others doing this stuff.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/carl-madigan-guilty-murdering-sam-14784848

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2018, 12:41:37 pm »
Minimum of 28 years. Good.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2018, 07:30:12 pm »
You don't go to town tooled up, then claim manslaughter.

Carrying a knife is a premeditated act.

Well done the judge and jury.

Minimum of 28 years.

He deserves every year. Month.  Week. Day. Hour. Minute. Second.

The fucker was already on licence  for attacking someone with a machete, and had previous for stabbing someone.

He'll be dead inside within 5 years.

No fucking loss to society what so ever.

Scum.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2018, 09:35:24 pm »
Was in Basel and through mutual friends met Sam his Dad and younger brother, we were staying in same hotel by mullhouse, pair of them  lovely lads, Sam was made up following in his Dad's footsteps training to be spark but was really sad at result, tried to console him and told him not to worry you're young enough to see loads of finals it's us arl gets who should be worrying, sadly a little rat made sure that didn't happen, saw his flag in Shevchenko park and was  hoping we'd win it for the lad but next time we win something my first drink will be to that great young red.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2018, 09:54:38 pm »
His close mates were on our flight/coach to Kiev, great set of kids and they carried a banner in his honour. Very poignant though as they had their moments in the fan park. Sam must of been a good kid and loved by his mates.

RIP kiddo.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2018, 09:55:34 pm »

The fucker was already on licence  for attacking someone with a machete, and had previous for stabbing someone.

Yeah, I was waiting for the trial to end so stuff like this would come out. It was obvious this wasn't his first time carrying a knife and using it. Who are these people?

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2018, 04:27:31 pm »
The dignity of Sams family outside the court,lives ripped apart by the murdering scum.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2018, 05:32:36 pm »
Minimum of 28 years. Good.
Good, but still not long enough in my opinion.

It seems that it was this murdering scumbags mate who also took a knife to a guy in Santa Chupitos on Slater Street and left half of his insides hanging out.  >:(

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/carl-madigan-knifed-sam-cook-14790393
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2018, 08:05:56 pm »
Sam's  grandad died today, heard he was broken , RIP.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2018, 12:12:55 pm »
Good, but still not long enough in my opinion.

It seems that it was this murdering scumbags mate who also took a knife to a guy in Santa Chupitos on Slater Street and left half of his insides hanging out.  >:(

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/carl-madigan-knifed-sam-cook-14790393

Makes me glad that I'm past staying out late.

Just out of interest is the Slater Street to Hanover Street worse than any other part of town?

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2018, 07:16:00 pm »

Just out of interest is the Slater Street to Hanover Street worse than any other part of town?
I couldn't really say which part of town is worse these days. We only nip in and out, generally to see a band or go for a meal. In the past I've had lots of nights out on Slater Street without any problems at all, though. Used to go to the Krazy House and The Swan on Wood St. too. Again, no problems. Concert Square was always a place to avoid, though. I do a bit of studying in town on a Friday and walk through Mathew Street around 9-10pm and I've seen trouble there from time to time.

Just giving this more thought as I type, and it does seem that a lot of the more nasty and high profile incidents in town have indeed happened in the roughly square area between Slater Street at the top, Hanover Street at the bottom and Bold Street and Duke Street to the sides. But that's probably to be expected given the volume of establishments that have sprung up in that area over the years. Concert Square, which always has a poor reputation for beaked-up idiots, being right in the middle of that area too.

When I was in town every weekend through the 80s and 90s you always had to watch your back then, too. Mind you, we were into the more alternative scene such as Planet X, Mac's etc and the gay scene, which incidentally was superb for meeting multitudes of fit, straight females looking to avoid scalls. 😁 Then, probably like today, it was a case of going to places you knew were decent and attracted decent clientele, and just hoping you didn't come into contact with the low-life types on the way in or on the way home.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:29:20 pm by Son of Spion »

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2018, 07:43:51 am »
I live in Spain now but I always used to drink down Mathew st end. Mainly because the clientele were older. I’m an old fart at 42. I’ve always been of the impression that around concert sq was rough though. There just seems to be a different vibe and you can feel it. Even just walking past. Maybe it’s me just being old but you can almost sense a kick off. it’s clear as day all the beaked up idiots too. Spot them from 100 yards away. Back in my day whilst there were kick offs at least kids used their fists and not knives. Weak as fuck these scumbags. Whenever I visit town these days I always try and leave handy or go to an older boozer that’s not trendy so as to avoid these pond life. I look more and more out of place in town these days anyway... just look like someone’s dad embarrassingly anytime I visit 😂😂

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2018, 12:21:33 am »
When I bevvy in town these days which is not often I rarely go past Hardman Street. Possibly the Ship and Mitre every now and then. Much prefer town of a day time when having a bevvie.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2018, 11:31:25 am »

There's no area to avoid. Fair to say there are a few bars that have been notorious for jumped up knobheads and that Empire is one of them so good riddance to it. You can go around town and have no bother most of the time but these shithouse rats are on the rise and there's no easy way to stop it on the ground. The trouble is a c*nt is a c*nt.

If you read the echo you'll see almost daily knife crime. There was a story a couple of days ago - Broadgreen - 3 adults tried to stop a group of KIDS (12 and 15 y/o arrested) stealing their van. The kids pulled knives on them. One got slashed in the face and the other 2 fellas got stabbed. These scumbags don't care one bit.

It needs an absolute culture change from bottom up. It needs to be ingrained from the earliest point in school that carrying a knife is ultimate shithouse behaviour.

I've been going out in Liverpool coming up for 10 years and in all the time I've never had a friend, an associate, any of the match going lads who would ever dream of taking a blade. Everyone in that frame of mind needs to work on that mindset - parents need to step up too. For the sake of the kids growing up in the city. Scary times.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2018, 04:56:21 pm »
Theres no deterent though. I saw Merseyside police tweet about a knife they confiscated and the lad got 6 months...woopdie fucking too

The lads carrying knives don't give a shit and neither does the law evidently. Unless someone is killed, which is quite often now.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2018, 05:50:02 pm »
When I bevvy in town these days which is not often I rarely go past Hardman Street. Possibly the Ship and Mitre every now and then. Much prefer town of a day time when having a bevvie.

I'm out in town tomorrow starting lunchtime and I'll be heading home at eight.

I'll have had a good time with close mates and will safely miss the onset of the areseholes.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: June 21, 2018, 05:54:19 pm »
Theres no deterent though. I saw Merseyside police tweet about a knife they confiscated and the lad got 6 months...woopdie fucking too

The lads carrying knives don't give a shit and neither does the law evidently. Unless someone is killed, which is quite often now.
3 month visit inside to some of his mates, probably.
Life’s shit outside for them so it won’t be much worse inside.
Seen all the videos where there’s groups of them together. Got their own phones having a laugh.

What a deterrent prison is when it isn’t much of a step down from there normal life.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: June 21, 2018, 06:17:16 pm »
I'm out in town tomorrow starting lunchtime and I'll be heading home at eight.

I'll have had a good time with close mates and will safely miss the onset of the areseholes.

Best way. I think the last time I was out late in town was to see a friends band about ten years ago. Even gettin the train home when it's late I get off at South Liverpool Parkway and jump the 86 to the Willow Bank where as it use to be to Limey then walk to the Belvidere .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: June 21, 2018, 10:15:51 pm »
Best way. I think the last time I was out late in town was to see a friends band about ten years ago. Even gettin the train home when it's late I get off at South Liverpool Parkway and jump the 86 to the Willow Bank where as it use to be to Limey then walk to the Belvidere .

Why not just get the 86 straight to the Willow Bank?  :D

And South Liverpool Parkway. Heresy, spent a lot of my youth getting the train to and from Allerton station, including spending one Boxing Day night in the waiting room as we'd all been locked out for coming home too late.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2018, 02:01:58 am »
Why not just get the 86 straight to the Willow Bank?  :D

And South Liverpool Parkway. Heresy, spent a lot of my youth getting the train to and from Allerton station, including spending one Boxing Day night in the waiting room as we'd all been locked out for coming home too late.

I do. From Liverpool South Parkway.

;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2018, 10:53:20 am »
You need shit bars though. Stops the knobheads ruining the decent ones.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2018, 11:43:38 am »

Yes. Where I live now there is a Champs Sports Bar, all the bellends go in there of a weekend, leaving the nice bars for us older civilised people.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2018, 01:51:35 pm »
But they soon find out about the decent bars and ruin them.
Went to the Baltic triangle years ago and it was relatively unknown then - it was a Billy Bragg concert at Camp and Furnace and it was fine. Fast forward to about three months ago and the area was full of bars, some crap, mostly expensive and the knobs were well in evidence. Dont want to sound like a bitter here but Liverpool can rarely have anything nice, for long.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2018, 02:00:21 pm »
Went to the Baltic triangle years ago and it was relatively unknown then - it was a Billy Bragg concert at Camp and Furnace and it was fine. Fast forward to about three months ago and the area was full of bars, some crap, mostly expensive and the knobs were well in evidence. Dont want to sound like a bitter here but Liverpool can rarely have anything nice, for long.

It’s not just Liverpool, most major cities have the same problem.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2018, 02:03:38 pm »
Aye, beaked up blerts.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2018, 02:20:42 pm »
I agree its all cities but generally if a place is expensive the knobs will steer well clear, in Liverpool the knobs can make enough  money to go the latest in places and ruin them, especially in town.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2018, 09:55:21 pm »

Was thinking this earlier actually. I've been going to Lark Lane since 91 and moved around there in 2003. It use to be boss and dead chilled . You had the pubs down the Aigburth Rd end which more arl fella gaffs and towards the park you had Keiths and the Albert which was more to my liking. You had two new places  but I cant remember the names which are now Que Pasa and a little bar beneath the place next door which was open to 1am which had a jazz band playing midweek. There was still people snorting but I distanced myself away from them and some of them people I knew pretty well. Since the explosion of coke in this City and shit bars the Lane has been shit and gone a tad too moody of the evening. I don't go anymore. People may think it's boss and it's great and I can see were they are coming from but it aint my thing. The Gansgsters have moved in and one of the Families who owns one of the places knows my family pretty well going back to the 50's. Call it regeneration but it's degeneration of the community and society in my eyes. The Lane has been sold Iam afraid.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2018, 01:16:55 am »
Was thinking this earlier actually. I've been going to Lark Lane since 91 and moved around there in 2003. It use to be boss and dead chilled . You had the pubs down the Aigburth Rd end which more arl fella gaffs and towards the park you had Keiths and the Albert which was more to my liking. You had two new places  but I cant remember the names which are now Que Pasa and a little bar beneath the place next door which was open to 1am which had a jazz band playing midweek. There was still people snorting but I distanced myself away from them and some of them people I knew pretty well. Since the explosion of coke in this City and shit bars the Lane has been shit and gone a tad too moody of the evening. I don't go anymore. People may think it's boss and it's great and I can see were they are coming from but it aint my thing. The Gansgsters have moved in and one of the Families who owns one of the places knows my family pretty well going back to the 50's. Call it regeneration but it's degeneration of the community and society in my eyes. The Lane has been sold Iam afraid.
I'm from the north of Liverpool but most of my time these days is with my girlfriend who lives just five minutes from Lark Lane. We haven't had a night out down Lark Lane in donkeys years now. Ironically, I used to go out with a girl from Crosby in the 90s and she was always banging on how she'd love to live on Lark Lane and was forever saying how 'cool' and 'boho' it was there. But spending time around there these days I find my experience of the place far different. It seems full of drunks even in daytime. It often has a seedy/moody feel and we simply steer well clear of the road now.

Having said that, another place I used to like was South Road in Waterloo (Sefton, I know  ;)), but that has long since gone the way that Lark Lane has now. There aren't many places untouched by the beak-heads / plastic gangsters these days. I know it's a people thing, not necessarily a Liverpool thing, though. There is something very wrong with society in general these days, so it's not something specific to Liverpool. However, I do agree with WhoHe, who suggests that many of the more pernicious gobshites we have here are well able to afford the expensive places. In fact, going to these places is all part of the 'look at me' narcissistic image these idiots want to project. There is a lot of money to be made from thieving and drugs, and many of those making a fortune doing so are out in the supposedly best places shoving lines of Columbia's finest up their conks. Plenty of others further down the pecking order are not short of a few bob either and are well able to infest the better places and ruin them if they become regulars.

As I said, though, generally speaking it's a countrywide thing. Greed is almost fashionable. Lack of empathy is almost seen as a good thing that gives you an edge. Caring about others is seen as a weakness. Everyone wants respect, but too few are prepared to also give it. Too many people want instant gratification, and if they can't get something they'll either steal if from someone who has it or they'll 'graft' one way or another to 'earn' the necessary cash. In a rather perverse way, Thatcherism has taken off big in our society, and in many ways, in our City too. By that I mean it is now dog eat dog. Everyone for themselves. Do what you want/need to do regardless of the consequences. Demand respect but refuse to give it. It's all about status. This attitude within large sections of our society has its consequences and these consequences play out every day in our towns and Cities. It's not pretty. Of course, these loons are the minority here and the minority across the country and beyond, but they are a big enough minority to cause many problems that ripple out across our society. Their actions can, and do, have far-reaching consequences.

On a more positive note, I also find that this City has an abundance of truly fantastic people too. Just knowing some of them makes me feel glad that I'm alive at times. Sometimes it feels like the good ones are swimming against a tide of utter shite, but I'm glad they keep on swimming. Hats off to those who are strong enough to give a shit. Strong enough to care and strong enough to try to make our City a better place.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2018, 02:01:23 am »
I'm from the north of Liverpool but most of my time these days is with my girlfriend who lives just five minutes from Lark Lane. We haven't had a night out down Lark Lane in donkeys years now. Ironically, I used to go out with a girl from Crosby in the 90s and she was always banging on how she'd love to live on Lark Lane and was forever saying how 'cool' and 'boho' it was there. But spending time around there these days I find my experience of the place far different. It seems full of drunks even in daytime. It often has a seedy/moody feel and we simply steer well clear of the road now.

Having said that, another place I used to like was South Road in Waterloo (Sefton, I know  ;)), but that has long since gone the way that Lark Lane has now. There aren't many places untouched by the beak-heads / plastic gangsters these days. I know it's a people thing, not necessarily a Liverpool thing, though. There is something very wrong with society in general these days, so it's not something specific to Liverpool. However, I do agree with WhoHe, who suggests that many of the more pernicious gobshites we have here are well able to afford the expensive places. In fact, going to these places is all part of the 'look at me' narcissistic image these idiots want to project. There is a lot of money to be made from thieving and drugs, and many of those making a fortune doing so are out in the supposedly best places shoving lines of Columbia's finest up their conks. Plenty of others further down the pecking order are not short of a few bob either and are well able to infest the better places and ruin them if they become regulars.

As I said, though, generally speaking it's a countrywide thing. Greed is almost fashionable. Lack of empathy is almost seen as a good thing that gives you an edge. Caring about others is seen as a weakness. Everyone wants respect, but too few are prepared to also give it. Too many people want instant gratification, and if they can't get something they'll either steal if from someone who has it or they'll 'graft' one way or another to 'earn' the necessary cash. In a rather perverse way, Thatcherism has taken off big in our society, and in many ways, in our City too. By that I mean it is now dog eat dog. Everyone for themselves. Do what you want/need to do regardless of the consequences. Demand respect but refuse to give it. It's all about status. This attitude within large sections of our society has its consequences and these consequences play out every day in our towns and Cities. It's not pretty. Of course, these loons are the minority here and the minority across the country and beyond, but they are a big enough minority to cause many problems that ripple out across our society. Their actions can, and do, have far-reaching consequences.

On a more positive note, I also find that this City has an abundance of truly fantastic people too. Just knowing some of them makes me feel glad that I'm alive at times. Sometimes it feels like the good ones are swimming against a tide of utter shite, but I'm glad they keep on swimming. Hats off to those who are strong enough to give a shit. Strong enough to care and strong enough to try to make our City a better place.

Great bit of writing that mate . It's a social thing or trend too and not just here . I could point the finger at many things and social media and that reality TV bollocks that started a generation ago would be both be at the top of the list. I must be getting on a bit but these days sitting in the park with nice food and a bevvie or in my local with the arl fellas is just ideal.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2018, 11:44:31 am »
Great bit of writing that mate . It's a social thing or trend too and not just here . I could point the finger at many things and social media and that reality TV bollocks that started a generation ago would be both be at the top of the list. I must be getting on a bit but these days sitting in the park with nice food and a bevvie or in my local with the arl fellas is just ideal.
Yes, it is very much a social issue right across our country, and it has many factors that feed into it. Thing is, we live here, so this is where we see it play out in our daily lives so it can feel as though it's worse here than elsewhere in our cities even if it isn't.

My partner and I are similar to you in a way. Ok, we've done our clubbing and pubbing, thankfully in what we now consider safer times. But the late 70s and 80s and 90s out in town was no cakewalk either at times. There has always been places and people to avoid if possible, but again, that's the case in any city in the world. I'm actually glad we are older now and a nice meal out or seeing a band in a small venue in town holds more appeal. As does simply taking the dogs to the park or beach whilst feeding the wildlife. With age we tend to appreciate different things, don't we, but they are no less rewarding or enjoyable. 😎

All the best, mate.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:46:16 am by Son of Spion »

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2018, 11:18:31 pm »
Yes, it is very much a social issue right across our country, and it has many factors that feed into it. Thing is, we live here, so this is where we see it play out in our daily lives so it can feel as though it's worse here than elsewhere in our cities even if it isn't.

My partner and I are similar to you in a way. Ok, we've done our clubbing and pubbing, thankfully in what we now consider safer times. But the late 70s and 80s and 90s out in town was no cakewalk either at times. There has always been places and people to avoid if possible, but again, that's the case in any city in the world. I'm actually glad we are older now and a nice meal out or seeing a band in a small venue in town holds more appeal. As does simply taking the dogs to the park or beach whilst feeding the wildlife. With age we tend to appreciate different things, don't we, but they are no less rewarding or enjoyable. 😎

All the best, mate.

Yes we do tend to appreciate different things. I love camping by rivers in Aude , Languedoc and making stone towers out of stones , pebbles and rocks. Rivers in general though I guess . Right now Iam at home drinking German beer alone and it's fuckin boss . Speaking of France though I've been going there since 2010 every year and at one point spent more time there then in Liverpool. One thing I noticed when in Lyon , Montpellier  , Bordeaux or Paris I  never seen the drunken / coke thing that we see over here . I've seen piss heads being a pain in the arse but not once have I seen the English saturday night vibe in a French city . Another thing I've never seen is groups of French teenagers drunk being a menace on the streets . My theory is they were exposed to alcohol at a young age over a dinner table in a family enviroment were as we we getting twatted on Merrydown in the local park or school disco.

All zee best to you too.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:20:23 pm by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2018, 07:15:40 pm »
Yes we do tend to appreciate different things. I love camping by rivers in Aude , Languedoc and making stone towers out of stones , pebbles and rocks. Rivers in general though I guess . Right now Iam at home drinking German beer alone and it's fuckin boss . Speaking of France though I've been going there since 2010 every year and at one point spent more time there then in Liverpool. One thing I noticed when in Lyon , Montpellier  , Bordeaux or Paris I  never seen the drunken / coke thing that we see over here . I've seen piss heads being a pain in the arse but not once have I seen the English saturday night vibe in a French city . Another thing I've never seen is groups of French teenagers drunk being a menace on the streets . My theory is they were exposed to alcohol at a young age over a dinner table in a family enviroment were as we we getting twatted on Merrydown in the local park or school disco.

All zee best to you too.
I like how you appreciate life and how quite basic pleasures can be so rewarding. I also like making little towers out of stones on beaches in places like Menorca and Formentera. Snorkelling with shoals of fish and feeding them with bread. Basic stuff like that which is a world away from the madness.

Of course, I was a tit when I was young. Many of us were. It's how we learn. I also got battered on Merrydown far too many times. But we were never malicious bastards. I just wish a lot of these young people today could get out and away from the prevailing culture and see that life has so much more to offer them and they actually have a lot more to offer life as well. Looking around, I just see far too much waste and unfulfilled potential. I used to counsel young people for a charity and once you get past the snarl and the bravado (defensive posturing by insecure people) you often get to meet a rather decent human being underneath who is simply doing what they feel they need to do in order to survive in the culture they are within. In a way, they live in a very narrow environment with very narrow options and accompanying mindset. They do what they feel they have to do to survive within that scenario. Many are quite resourceful and basically become very good at being very bad. If only they put those resources and that effort into doing something good, eh.

Alcohol? I'm with you there too. The culture around it in the UK is rather negative. Abroad, that's generally different and more healthy. I love seeing entire families, gramps right down to kids, out for meals at 11pm, plenty of alcohol flowing but a sedate atmosphere and a healthy attitude towards the drink. A social occasion based upon being social rather than getting battered into oblivion then puking up everywhere. Even the youth over in Europe tend to have a far more mature attitude towards, and relationship with, alcohol. As you suggest, I believe this is because of the way they were brought up around it. In many ways, the prevailing culture of a place eventually reaps what it sows. This is why we, as a society, have to be responsible about the seeds we sow today, because tomorrow those seeds will bear fruit.

Anyway, enjoy the beer and the sun, mate. 😎🍺