Author Topic: Microsoft may face daily EU fine  (Read 968 times)

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
Microsoft may face daily EU fine
« on: December 22, 2005, 12:20:03 pm »
Fucking good..............

The European Commission has threatened to fine Microsoft up to 2m euros ($2.4m) a day until it gives rivals more access to its operating systems.
Brussels said the software giant had failed to supply adequate information about its server programmes.

Microsoft has five weeks to provide improved documentation before the daily penalties are imposed.

The EU said it was "left with no alternative" after giving Microsoft every chance to comply with its ruling.

In a landmark ruling in March 2004, the world's biggest software firm was found guilty of abusing its position, hit with a record fine and told to open up its systems.

Data demand
Microsoft was also ordered "to disclose complete and accurate interface documentation which would allow non-Microsoft work group servers to achieve full interoperability with Windows PCs and servers".

'I have been left with no alternative other than to proceed via the formal route to ensure Microsoft's compliance' - Neelie Kroes, EU

The EU's second highest court - the Court of First Instance - later rejected an appeal by Microsoft and warned it to comply with the order by 15 December 2005, or face a daily fine.

But following two reports from a monitoring trust that has been checking information supplied by Microsoft, the European Commission says the software giant has failed to provide all the necessary detail.

It quoted the reports as saying the technical documentation was "totally unfit at this stage for its intended purpose".

Appeal plea
In September this year, Microsoft launched a second appeal against the March 2004 ruling - which included a 497m euro fine - in an effort to avoid giving more information on its server programs.

The firm argues that doing so would violate intellectual property rights.

"I have given Microsoft every opportunity to comply with its obligations," EU Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes said in a statement as the five-week deadline was issued.

"However, I have been left with no alternative other than to proceed via the formal route to ensure Microsoft's compliance."

Microsoft was not immediately available for comment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4552214.stm

;D
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.