Author Topic: DARPA Challenge...robot cars and vehicles  (Read 1268 times)

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
DARPA Challenge...robot cars and vehicles
« on: December 22, 2005, 03:37:31 am »
This may appeal to the military minded but it is also of interest to the rest of us who drive.

The DARPA Challenge was a "race' over 131.6 miles of terrain that included significant elevation chages, dry lake beds, tunnels, narrow desert roads, and near the end a tight gap through the Lucy Mountains called Beer Bottle Pass in the Mojave Desert.

At stake was 2 million dollar contract, winner-take-all, from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency ( Of the US government).

These were a collection of 23 "Autonomous ground vehicles"--essentially vehicular robots--which included cars, trucks, vans, SUV's, ATV's, military vehicles ond others.

The winner was a diesel powered VW Touareg named "Stanley" from Stanford University.

The contestants were given the route less than 2 hours before the race. In 2004 no contestants made it 8 miles. This race, 5 contestants made it the 131.6 miles. The race was about who could proces the data the fastest and guide their driverless vehicles most accurately through 2935 GPD waypoints.

The reason is by 2015 the Pentagon wants  33% of US military vehicles to be driverless. ( with 25% of casualties coming from convoy duty in Afganistan and Iraq)

Here should be some links to some of the participants:

www.standfordracing.org  Came first

www.redteamracing.org Came second and third with their two vehicles

www.terramax.com Came fifth

I found the entire article interesting. I have only highlighted bits and pieces. It's not available online yet.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: DARPA Challenge...robot cars and vehicles
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 01:09:47 pm »
Interesting that - 2015 might be a bit optimistic for an inservice date though.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 01:25:35 pm »
The reason is by 2015 the Pentagon wants  33% of US military vehicles to be driverless. ( with 25% of casualties coming from convoy duty in Afganistan and Iraq)

The Pentagon and 33 in the same sentence who would've funk it.............           
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline PortlandRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 05:38:35 pm »
There's an article about driverless military vehicles in this months issue of popular science. Some of the designs look pretty strange.  One looks like a spider with a cannon on top. 

There is a remote convoy supply truck they say could be ready by 2010 I believe.
"Winning is not a sometime thing" - Vince Lombardi