Author Topic: Sailors rescued after days adrift  (Read 951 times)

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
Sailors rescued after days adrift
« on: December 19, 2005, 12:26:54 pm »
Two men have been rescued off the coast of Vietnam after some 12 days adrift in a lifeboat.
Mark Smith, 49 and Steven Freeman, 30, said that they left Hong Kong in their 65-foot yacht in early December and that it sank two days later.

They spent their days adrift without any food and water, according to the Spanish news agency EFE.

They were weak and dehydrated by the time they were found by Vietnamese fishermen off the country's coast.

No supplies

The men said that when their ship sank in the East China Sea during a storm, they were left with just a sponge and an oar.

"It was sheer will power that kept us alive," said Mr Smith.

His fellow sailor said: "It's been unreal, incredible."

They were forced to resort to drinking their own urine, and said they were most afraid at night.

They were taken to a clinic on Ly Son island, about 54km (34 miles) off the coast of central Quang Ngai province, said Nguyen Thanh Tung, deputy head of the island's People's Committee.

Both men were Australian, according to the Associated Press, whilst EFE said Mr Freeman was from New Zealand.

A speed boat was sent to Ly Son island on Sunday to take the men to mainland Vietnam, but was forced to turn back because of rough waves, Mr Tung said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4541186.stm  ::)
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline briggsy

• Legacy Fan
  • ^ cheeks on that!
Re: Sailors rescued after days adrift
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 08:20:51 pm »
fuck me, they were lucky, good to see they're ok though.