Author Topic: Bin Arsonist gets Life  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Bin Arsonist gets Life
« on: December 16, 2005, 06:16:49 pm »
An 18-year-old man has been jailed for life after setting fire to two wheelie bins in north Devon.

Homeless Christopher Brown only caused a few pounds damage when he set fire to the bins in Barnstaple.

But Judge Graham Cottle gave him an indeterminate sentence under new laws after hearing Brown threatened to commit more crimes if he was released.

Judge Cottle called it a "highly unusual case", but said he had to protect the public.

Brown must serve at least 18 months and show he is no serious risk to people before he is eligible for parole.

You admit candidly if you were subject to a community order you would commit a serious offence
Judge Graham Cottle

The new legislation applies to people over 18 who commit crimes which are punishable by life. This includes arson, no matter how small.

The court heard that Brown, who admitted the offence, told social workers he intended to commit very serious offences when let out.

Peter Ashman, defending, said: "My client is looking for a sentence which is as long as possible. He cannot countenance living in the community at all.

"It is a very sad picture and one can only hope that in time he may change his views."

Judge Cottle said: "This is a highly unusual case. He says he is going to do something very serious if he is released, he has been convicted of a specified offence and he is 18."

He told Brown: "You have a number of previous convictions for offences of destruction and damage to property.

"You admit candidly if you were subject to a community order you would commit a serious offence in order for a long prison sentence to be imposed."

"I have to consider the provisions in relation to dangerous offenders and whether there is a serious risk to the public from you committing further offences. You have answered that question yourself."

Juliet Lyon, director of the Prison Reform Trust: "Judges are grasping too readily at the straw of indeterminate sentences when they simply do not know what to do in a difficult case."

Offline RI-Red

• Legacy Fan
  • What the fuck is Goony Goo Goo?
Re: Bin Arsonist gets Life
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 07:04:19 pm »
Just read that on BBC Website!

Oh my what is the world coming to! 
That ginger haired twat looks like a proper manc c*nt!

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 07:22:46 pm »
Guess he just looken for three square and a roof over his head

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 08:26:24 pm »
Is Bin Arsonist related to Bin Laden  ???
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 10:52:57 pm »
Just read that on BBC Website!

Oh my what is the world coming to! 

It's not so much what the world is coming to, but what Blair's Britain is coming to.

You can now be arrested for any offence, including dropping litter, being drunk in the street, or carrying fake £20 notes in your wallet to give to the muggers who have threatened you 4 times this year.

And yet, there are people who think we have a "PC culture" and "the law is on the side of the  criminal".

Unbelieveable, really.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 07:57:47 am »
When did at least 18 months become life?

If he proves that he is no longer a danger to the public, then he'll be released - should someone who has said they will burn down buildings with people in them be free to do that?

Plus, the guy did ask for a long sentance himself.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.