Author Topic: Gay Footballers  (Read 47397 times)

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Gay Footballers
« on: August 16, 2017, 11:35:31 pm »
Just watched a very good Docu on RTE (Irish TV) and it asked the question as to why footballers do not come out, stats prove that at least 5% of all players at any one time playing in the Premier League are Gay.

When Justin Fashanu came out as gay in 1990, it seemed that football would move with the times, and that the number of out players would inevitably grow as society matured. Fashanu died from suicide in 1998, and 27 years after he came out, the Premier League has absolutely zero gay players – and never has done. Interesting?

Well, we’ve seen the first ex-Premier League footballer come out, in the shape of former Aston Villa and Germany midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger. LGBT supporters clubs are popping up all over England, with most Premier League clubs now having one.

Former Leeds United player Robbie Rogers came out in 2013 after he had left Britain for the US, while Anton Hysen came out as gay in 2011, at the age of 20 – though that was in Sweden.

Now in addition the next two World Cups are to be held in Countries with anti gay laws, so my question is. Well questions to be honest.

1. Why do they not come out?

2. Would they get te fan support.

3. Are Clubs doing enough to help them.

4. Are FIFA and assiociations doing the same.

Adult conversation no silly puns or jokes tanks.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gay Footballers
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:44:02 pm »
Not sure if it's the same one I caught snippets of last week , i do think they would get support from the fans and I wonder if they keep it under wraps because of the dressing room banter and behaviour they've grown up with as well as the additional pressure of maybe being the first to come forward .

Is this the programme were it was pointed out the first major player to come out will actually do amazingly well with commercial endorsements . It's also strange no former player ( to my knowledge ) in recent times has come out . But is it a common thing in other sports ? Years ago Daley thompsons t- shirt message after winning gold probably didn't help sportsman at the time seeing how it was just considered a joke .

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 11:48:20 pm »
Just watched a very good Docu on RTE (Irish TV) and it asked the question as to why footballers do not come out, stats prove that at least 5% of all players at any one time playing in the Premier League are Gay.

When Justin Fashanu came out as gay in 1990, it seemed that football would move with the times, and that the number of out players would inevitably grow as society matured. Fashanu died from suicide in 1998, and 27 years after he came out, the Premier League has absolutely zero gay players – and never has done. Interesting?

Well, we’ve seen the first ex-Premier League footballer come out, in the shape of former Aston Villa and Germany midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger. LGBT supporters clubs are popping up all over England, with most Premier League clubs now having one.

Former Leeds United player Robbie Rogers came out in 2013 after he had left Britain for the US, while Anton Hysen came out as gay in 2011, at the age of 20 – though that was in Sweden.

Now in addition the next two World Cups are to be held in Countries with anti gay laws, so my question is. Well questions to be honest.

2. Would they get te fan support.

3. Are Clubs doing enough to help them.

4. Are FIFA and assiociations doing the same.

Adult conversation no silly puns or jokes tanks.
Didn't see the program but searched for the proof of the 5% of PL footballers, couldn't find it anywhere else, did they equate the % of gay men in society to be equal to that of the PL or more specific than that?

Not questioning it just wanted to know more on the methodology.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 11:49:21 pm »
Not sure if it's the same one I caught snippets of last week , i do think they would get support from the fans and I wonder if they keep it under wraps because of the dressing room banter and behaviour they've grown up with as well as the additional pressure of maybe being the first to come forward .

Is this the programme were it was pointed out the first major player to come out will actually do amazingly well with commercial endorsements . It's also strange no former player ( to my knowledge ) in recent times has come out . But is it a common thing in other sports ? Years ago Daley thompsons t- shirt message after winning gold probably didn't help sportsman at the time seeing how it was just considered a joke .

It was a lad from Dublin doing it, was made by Irish TV RTE. It did bring up the dressing room banter and how the fans and companies would take it.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 11:50:08 pm »
Didn't see the program but searched for the proof of the 5% of PL footballers, couldn't find it anywhere else, did they equate the % of gay men in society to be equal to that of the PL or more specific than that?

Not questioning it just wanted to know more on the methodology.

Sorry mate but it was the figure from the show, its not really the sticking point of the debate though ;)
Y.N.W.A.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 11:53:40 pm »
Though imagine the hype and media pressure on the first premier league player to come out while playing , that also would put some off , once the first does come out it will make it easier for the rest to follow .

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 11:54:46 pm »
Though imagine the hype and media pressure on the first premier league player to come out while playing , that also would put some off , once the first does come out it will make it easier for the rest to follow .

Would think so but the pressure on the lads must be dreadful. Away games would be hell I would fear for them?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 12:08:59 am »
Sorry mate but it was the figure from the show, its not really the sticking point of the debate though ;)
Agreed, I was thinking that due to a combination of bants in the changing room, lack of role models and out right homophobia preventing opportunities that the number of gay PL footballers is not representative of gay men in society (5%-6% ).  So rather than not coming out the majority would be forced out before reaching PL.

In a similar way Asian players are underrepresented in the PL.  Could it be a different issue that also requires attention.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 12:11:08 am »
Agreed, I was thinking that due to a combination of bants in the changing room, lack of role models and out right homophobia preventing opportunities that the number of gay PL footballers is not representative of gay men in society (5%-6% ).  So rather than not coming out the majority would be forced out before reaching PL.

In a similar way Asian players are underrepresented in the PL.  Could it be a different issue that also requires attention.

Good popint on gay men being pushed out of football at a young age but find it hard to believe that not one player in the PL is gay, on Asian players in general they are just shite ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 12:11:29 am »

Well, there will be a multitude of reasons. In a sense of being old school, football is a 'mans game' and the macho, tough tackling connotations related to it are deep-rooted. It might be bigoted and retrograde but people still view the game through those lenses. I cannot speak for a gay player at the top level - or indeed any professional sportsperson on many levels - but playing devils advocate for a moment I would think that it simply wouldn't be worth the hassle. Not that being gay is hassle, but from the footballing environment. Many people believe that gay people are somehow different, not the same. People back off, act differently. If a footballer came out gay on the Friday there is simply no way the dressing room on the Saturday would be the same. Would there be support from staff, players and the like? Yes, but you'd get others turning their back to some extent, viewing them differently. As a player making a living, do you need that? I suppose it's a trade off. Not coming out and keeping it a secret is emotionally and physically hard, yet the grass on the other side might not be as green in relation to how easy their life will be keeping it under wraps.

There are plenty of other reasons too, I would imagine. The same questions for someone in day-to-day life but magnified. They might wonder if they are going to get unwanted attention as a result. The constant media comments. Because let me tell you, many media articles will constantly refer to the player as 'the first openly gay Premier League player', as if somehow he's from Mars. It would mean he likes men, not women, and who gives a fuck? (I know there is MUCH more to it than that, but if you strip it down then John Doe who has recently came out is no different other than the sex of the person he is attracted to, and the fanfare in the eyes of many might outweigh the personal significance of coming out). Will that player think he will lose close friends in the footballing community. Will he worry about sponsorship, or post-playing employment? Will he be worried about any adverse effect on his personal performance on the pitch and by proxy, the performance of the team he plays for?

There are dozens of questions and reasons and unknowns, but in my opinion those aforementioned are the ones that I personally believe prevent someone as coming out at the moment.

2 Would they get fan support?

Yes and no. They'd get support from many in the footballing community and I sincerely hope (and given how far we've come I quietly expect) that the support would outweigh the opposition). In this day and age with social media I'd suspect that many of the jibes, insults, songs and downright bile directed at said player will happen online. You would still get idiots singing songs at the match but you'd hope with the amount of cameras and phones around they'd be wary of doing so with risk of prosecution and ridicule being so high. But yes, I do believe that fan support would be good in the majority.

3  Are clubs doing enough to help them?

Well, it is hard to say. A player could come out as gay within the club but ask to keep it private. With money and ignorance still being around to an extent there might also be a case whereby a club wants/asks the player to keep it private for fear of negative connections (in the eyes of the owners of course, you saw the Donald Sterling row a few years back in the NBA. Not the same, but you get the idea. Clubs can only do so much in some ways, you can lead a horse to water and all that, but conversely as I said earlier some players might just be happy the way they are. I would like to think though and certainly hope that within the environment of clubs there is no fear or apprehension should a player wish to come out.

4 Are FIFA and associations doing the same?

Again, it is hard to say because I would think a lot isn't played out in the public eye. But no, on the whole I don't think enough is being done to help. Be that by locations of competitions, fines/disciplinary actions for racism and crowd trouble and other things, they have and are setting bad precedents for any potential homophobia-related incidents.

I'm not sure if I've gone on too long here, I'm just speaking from what I think. My brother is gay, so I can slightly talk with experience. I understand the difficulties with reactions from people, the environment, issues with coming out, all the fears and anxieties. But ultimately my brother is my brother and I wouldn't have him any differently. He likes men. So what? Again, as I said above, for those experiencing it first-hand it is often much more than that, but for me it barely registers as a point of conversation any more. I take the piss out of him sometimes, the odd innuendo, a few jokes and he gives it back to me about being rather short and looking a tad like Danny De Vito in One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest. Ultimately though I only joke like that because I know he can handle it. If he couldn't or didn't like it, I wouldn't. But he laughs and says it's funny. The issue there though is that everyone wont be like that. Imagine, for example, in a dressing room environment with 25-30 men. Is someone going to crack a joke? Is the player going to be offended? Will certain words not be used where they were previously? Again, there are 1 million questions and not every answer will be the same depending on who the player is, their personality, their club, people around them, how the media perceives them and many other things.

It's not an easy topic to discuss but in some ways it should be. I do have this nagging feeling though, that despite my optimism, that we'll be asking the same questions for a long while yet.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:31:58 am by Fiasco »

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 12:22:58 am »
Thanks for that Fiasco brilliant post, i'll come back to it in more detail tomorrow but agree pretty much with each and every bit of that.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 08:23:12 am »
Really good post fiasco and you've probably hit the nail on the head regarding why they dont come out while playing , it also begs the question why has no one come out when retired and no longer involved in the game .
My nieces husband  is an ex premier league player might have a chat to him about it .

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 08:39:51 am »
They may be not feel comfortable in the showers knowing the truth.

I've heard this countless times and never got the thought process behind it.

I went to an all boys school, and there for definitely plenty of gay lads in my year (some out, some not) and not once was I egotistical enough to think I best be uncomfortable in the shower as they'll probably fancy me. You know, cos I'm a guy and he's a gay guy so why wouldn't he, right?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 09:12:57 am »
Why should they come out? I am straight, but think that the sexual orientation is something private.
The only reason to admit it (IMHO) is, because of the teammates. They may be not feel comfortable in the showers knowing the truth.

Wow, that's one of the most homophobic things I've read on here!!!

I'd be interested to know where the percentages come from, I just don't believe them. I know there's a certain percentage of men in general who are gay, but I genuinely don't think there's a remotely large percentage who play football professionally and just aren't coming 'out'.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 09:14:42 am »
Excellent post Fiasco, think it sums it up. A couple of things I'd add though. You mentioned a gay player may be worried about sponsorship - I actually think that the first out gay player could do really well sponsorship-wise. I don't just mean from the pink pound, I think they could appeal to huge parts of society that would be in awe of the balls it takes to come out in what's perceived as a hostile environment, the same way we now look back in awe at other sporting pioneers such as Jackie Robinson.

Also, re getting fans support, for a gay player at the top end of the PL who gets to compete in Europe there'll be the added worry about reaction from foreign fans. If places in Southern & Eastern Europe are as backwards towards sexuality as they are towards race then that's a whole new world of hassle that they may not want to get involved in. If they're internationals then that could expose them to even more nasty countries. They may even come from a nasty country themselves which could mean serious consequences for them if they come out...

Re this bit;

It may not be the sticking point of the debate, but it is important and you did mention it in the OP. Seems like laziness (i.e. 5% of the population are gay therefore 5% of all PL footballers must be gay). As has been mentioned before, this probably isn't the case, many up and coming gay footballers may have decided early on that it's not the environment they want to be in, so the 5% isn't likely to translate directly to every walk of life.

The number is significant in the debate as a gay footballer may find it easier to come out if he knows there are dozens of closeted gay footballers (5% of 20 x 25 man squads is 25) because he'd know that there's a greater chance of more coming out if he leads the way. If there are just a small handful though there's less chance of others following suit, leaving him to be the only one to be on the receiving end of the shit that is probably holding him back in the first place.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 09:17:44 am »
With regards to money, they may also be worried about coming out limiting their ability to move clubs (clubs being less sure about singing them for a load of backwards reasons) and therefore limiting their potential earnings or even progression within the game to winning things.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 09:19:12 am »
Why should they come out? I am straight, but think that the sexual orientation is something private.
The only reason to admit it (IMHO) is, because of the teammates. They may be not feel comfortable in the showers knowing the truth.

No mate, that's your own homophobic views being projected on to someone else. It's not a prison film.

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 09:34:57 am »
My brother was a Pro until 22 and it really is brutal - The "banter" even for straight guys is brutal, my brother was called Uggers and this was as good as it got.  I can imagine this would put a few people off coming out giving the dressing room something to get at you.

However this doesn't explain why there are no openly gay ex-pro's of note.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 09:36:25 am »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 09:39:39 am »

If a player is gay, I'd expect that the rest of his teammates are already well aware of it.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 09:42:04 am »
My brother was a Pro until 22 and it really is brutal - The "banter" even for straight guys is brutal, my brother was called Uggers and this was as good as it got.  I can imagine this would put a few people off coming out giving the dressing room something to get at you.

How long ago was your brother a footballer? It seems that dressing room behaviour has improved a lot in the last couple of decades. Older pros often talk about horrific stuff that went on, such as the initiation shit that young players used to have to go through which, in any other walk of life, would be classed as child abuse. Not saying its a perfect environment now, but if your bro was a footballer in the early 90s or prior it would have been a completely different environment than it is today.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 09:42:04 am »
If a player is gay, I'd expect that the rest of his teammates are already well aware of it.

Do you reckon? You'd like to think so but I'm not sure I'd trust all footballers to keep that to themselves and one way or another reckon 'the public' would have heard about it by now.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 09:48:20 am »

I was gonna say, kids are brutal. I'm sure we've all been little shits at some point of our childhood. Personally I'd say coming through that system, and the school system, and then the youth system and all the shit that potentially could come with it would take a MASSIVE amount of strength to persist to PL level without thinking 'Nah fuck it, just aint worth it' at a pretty young age. Again makes me think this arbitrary 5% is nonsense.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline peterstone

• Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 09:52:14 am »
I've never got why gay people (footballers or not) need to 'come out' at all.

Heterosexual people don't have to go round saying they like shagging the opposite sex.

I've never understood it. What business is it of anyone's what people like doing with their own genitalia?

I went to school with a girl called Jenny Taylor

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 09:56:38 am »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 10:00:55 am »

I went to school with a guy called Robert Paulson

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 10:02:39 am »

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 10:05:13 am »

Heterosexual people don't have to go round saying they like shagging the opposite sex.

I've never understood it. What business is it of anyone's what people like doing with their own genitalia?

People don't feel the need to hide their heterosexuality so why should anyone gay have to do the same? It isn't a matter of going around shouting it to everyone, it's a matter of just being able to live a normal life and be yourself without having to hide all your relationships and pretend to be something you're not because of outdated attitudes.

I can see why people in football don't want to come out though. I don't think most of the dressing room would be that bad, but it's worth noting how many players these days come from countries where homophobia is still pretty rife, and that could probably cause issues in the dressing room. Also, I'm guessing the preponderance of old school managers who'd draw ridiculous conclusions doesn't help. Everything the player does starts being seen through a negative prism, he becomes an 'attention-seeker' who's taking away from the team, and that becomes a reason to drop him. It's sad to say but unless the first player to come out is an established superstar I'm not sure it wouldn't hinder them, even today.

In general though, I'd be shocked if the first top level player to come out wasn't someone in a Western European league rather than the Premiership.

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 10:27:13 am »
How long ago was your brother a footballer? It seems that dressing room behaviour has improved a lot in the last couple of decades. Older pros often talk about horrific stuff that went on, such as the initiation shit that young players used to have to go through which, in any other walk of life, would be classed as child abuse. Not saying its a perfect environment now, but if your bro was a footballer in the early 90s or prior it would have been a completely different environment than it is today.

He stopped at age 22, last year in PL team 98/99 - would be surprised if it had changed massively myself.

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 10:30:34 am »

You answered your own question with the second line. It is because there is usually an assumption when the conversation gets around to who you are seeing that it will be a woman, and so the gay man is either forced to come out or to lie, something which is not the case with a straight man being asked the same question. It is not about him saying oh look at me I like other men, it is about being honest and open about who you are with other people, and with the wider fan base, and the environment clearly isn't right for that to happen at the moment.
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 11:37:06 am »
I went to school with a guy called Robert Paulson

I went to school with a guy called Christian Poulsen.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 11:46:50 am »
So, from my limited knowledge on the whole 'gay community' thing, I know society is very hetero-normative. I.e. it is usual in our society for one to be straight. And, if someone were to be gay, they are seen as deviating from the norm. Personally, I think the idea of 'coming out' sort of belies football as a massively straight-orientated world. Think about it... 'coming out' implies that they are doing something different or abnormal. To put it into perspective, a straight man doesn't come out as being heterosexual.

For me, I think just leave them to it. If there are, as most would assume, gay people in the PL, they may not WANT to come out simply for matters of privacy, or maybe they don't see their sexuality as defining them. I think largely, we've done everything we can to open up football in the UK to the prospect of gay footballers, but just leave them in peace as they are. To some, it's a job, not everyone wants to be in the public eye.

Offline Dirkydirkdirk

• Kopite
  • Sweet Jesus no
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 11:53:51 am »
This is something that I have often wondered about. I work in an industry (theatre) where people's sexuality is about as interesting as the colour of their hair and I always find it a bit odd that it causes such a fuss in other areas.

Coming out is a massive, massive deal for most gay people and takes a lot of courage. Just to talk to your close friends and family about it is a big step so to tell the World and then go and stand in front of 45,000 people every week who are willing to shout whatever they want at you in order to put you off your game is huge.

I think that the dressing room wouldn't be such a huge problem. Football is a bit regressive as an industry so there would be a fair bit to rise above but I think most of the abuse would come from the public. Look at what happens when any player shows a bit of individuality, changes their haircut or badmouths another club. Anything can be used as a stick to beat players with from a fans' point of view and often is. It's easy to sit in a liberal bubble and say that everyone would be cool with it but look at the number of people who still read the Mail and that other rag.

I think it will be easier once the first player comes out and I also think that they will be able to reap enormous commercial rewards. I also think that clubs will be fighting to sign the first openly gay player (as long as they are half decent). Remember when the PL was trying to crack China and half a dozen teams signed players from the Chinese national team?

There is an interesting short film that a guy I know was in which was broadcast on Sky last year. It gives a little insight into some of the perceived pressures that are out there and is worth a look http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10314832/wonderkid-director-and-star-discuss-film-about-gay-footballer
There are no stars in this team, or no one with any airs or graces. We're one unit, we work hard for each other and we all pull in the same direction.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 12:08:30 pm »
In general though, I'd be shocked if the first top level player to come out wasn't someone in a Western European league rather than the Premiership.

Not sure if they count as 'top level' but there have already been two active professional players come out - Justin Fashanu and Glen Hysen's boy Anton in the Swedish 2nd Division.

Offline peterstone

• Anny Roader
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 01:00:14 pm »
People don't feel the need to hide their heterosexuality so why should anyone gay have to do the same? It isn't a matter of going around shouting it to everyone, it's a matter of just being able to live a normal life and be yourself without having to hide all your relationships and pretend to be something you're not because of outdated attitudes.

I never said anything about hiding your relationships.

Maybe its just that I'm not particularly nosey and don't care what people get up to. When work colleagues start telling me what they got up to at the weekend I do tend to start glazing over.

And don't start me on Facebook.

'Just had a cup of tea and a cream scone, hhmmmm'

Who fkin cares? Why are you telling the world this?

Offline peterstone

• Anny Roader
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 01:01:51 pm »
You answered your own question with the second line. It is because there is usually an assumption when the conversation gets around to who you are seeing that it will be a woman, and so the gay man is either forced to come out or to lie, something which is not the case with a straight man being asked the same question. It is not about him saying oh look at me I like other men, it is about being honest and open about who you are with other people, and with the wider fan base, and the environment clearly isn't right for that to happen at the moment.
If you're asked who you're seeing, just tell them?

I just don't see what the issue is?

Offline peterstone

• Anny Roader
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 01:02:38 pm »
So, from my limited knowledge on the whole 'gay community' thing, I know society is very hetero-normative. I.e. it is usual in our society for one to be straight. And, if someone were to be gay, they are seen as deviating from the norm. Personally, I think the idea of 'coming out' sort of belies football as a massively straight-orientated world. Think about it... 'coming out' implies that they are doing something different or abnormal. To put it into perspective, a straight man doesn't come out as being heterosexual.

For me, I think just leave them to it. If there are, as most would assume, gay people in the PL, they may not WANT to come out simply for matters of privacy, or maybe they don't see their sexuality as defining them. I think largely, we've done everything we can to open up football in the UK to the prospect of gay footballers, but just leave them in peace as they are. To some, it's a job, not everyone wants to be in the public eye.
Well said

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2017, 01:18:26 pm »
i think we have got to a weird point. A footballer being gay is no big deal, it doesn't matter to me to be honest. I could not give a shit.

Thing is though, the press, media and many fans are so desperate to make the first lad that does it some kind of hero that it must put off loads of the lads.

I mean, they have probably at one point or other been called all kinds for being gay, or acting gay, or have spent loads of time hiding it for fear of the abuse, but now i wonder if its gone the other way and they just can't be arsed with the faux admiration and moral shite that so many will force on to them for just telling us they are gay.

Why the obsession and clambering for it i don't know. constantly making out that the first person to openly come out will be worshipped is the problem. Why will they be worshipped, cos they are gay? why does it even matter

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2017, 01:19:42 pm »

Because football is still classed as a mans game by large, and "real men" don't like them there gays.  ok abit tongue in cheek that but still.

2. Would they get the fan support.

By alot yes but there are still alot of fans who would use it to take the piss, all about the bants innit.  And I guess it just isn't worth the hassle for most and t the end of the day it's got fuck all to do with joe public if a player likes a penis or a vagina.
choose Life.

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2017, 01:27:12 pm »
Raised a few times but do these reasons apply to ex pros? If anything it would give you a boost if you want to pursue a media career.