Author Topic: Better Call Saul  (Read 185629 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Better Call Saul
« Reply #920 on: May 17, 2017, 02:13:03 pm »
Fuck me. Just realised that the Meth dealer who came up light and got a slapping from Nacho is Krazy-8 from BrBa.

Also on the subject of Nacho. Have read this speculation before but it now looks like Jimmy and him are not through with their dealings yet :)

Spoiler
There might be a reference to this character in Saul's initial appearance on Breaking Bad. When Saul is held at gunpoint by Walt and Jesse, Saul (mistakenly thinking that people sent by a person named Lalo are holding him at gunpoint) says "it wasn't me, it was Ignacio."
Since the name Nacho is short for Ignacio, it might be possible Saul talks about the same person. Peter Gould has hinted this is the same person.
[close]

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #921 on: May 17, 2017, 06:00:01 pm »
Fuck me. Just realised that the Meth dealer who came up light and got a slapping from Nacho is Krazy-8 from BrBa.

Also on the subject of Nacho. Have read this speculation before but it now looks like Jimmy and him are not through with their dealings yet :)

Spoiler
There might be a reference to this character in Saul's initial appearance on Breaking Bad. When Saul is held at gunpoint by Walt and Jesse, Saul (mistakenly thinking that people sent by a person named Lalo are holding him at gunpoint) says "it wasn't me, it was Ignacio."
Since the name Nacho is short for Ignacio, it might be possible Saul talks about the same person. Peter Gould has hinted this is the same person.
[close]
Wow.

I was wondering where the hell i'd seen him before....I was thinking maybe a film or tv show i'd recently seen. :D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #922 on: May 18, 2017, 11:31:30 am »
Never would have thought a spin off show about one character from BrBa would be so compelling. What a brilliant show with so much depth and layers.

Krazy 8 is a completely different person in that episode too - which made it harder to notice who he was.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #923 on: May 18, 2017, 11:41:34 am »

Krazy 8 is a completely different person in that episode too - which made it harder to notice who he was.

Yes he was and it makes me think we might see more of Krazy-8 before BCS finally finishes.

I'm totally and utterly guessing here so no spoilers needed but I have a feeling Krazy-8 may play a part in the downfall of Hector/Nacho or both.  He's definitely got an axe to grind now.

The Krazy-8 we saw in BrBa was most definitely an upgraded gangster version of what we have seen so far in BCS.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #924 on: May 18, 2017, 11:45:42 am »
Yes he was and it makes me think we might see more of Krazy-8 before BCS finally finishes.

I'm totally and utterly guessing here so no spoilers needed but I have a feeling Crazy-8 may play a part in the downfall of Hector/Nacho or both.  He's definitely got an axe to grind now.

The Krazy-8 we saw in BrBa was most definitely an upgraded gangster version of what we have seen so far in BCS.

We will definitely see some sort of evolvement of Krazy 8 - as much to show his back story but maybe to bring Jessie into the show?

Just went to Wiki BCS and how, after 26 episodes, have I not noticed Chuck is David St. Hubbins from Spinal Tap?!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:48:14 am by iamnant »
Stan Laurel

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #925 on: May 18, 2017, 01:11:23 pm »
Haha. Bloody hell so it is!!

I take your Chuck/David St Hubbins and raise you Mike Ermentraut/Gunderson (Airplane)

Here he is in one of the best comedy movies ever made IMO.  15 seconds in.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uEywGpIt0vw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uEywGpIt0vw</a>

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #926 on: May 18, 2017, 02:02:00 pm »
I barely remember what Krazy-8 looked like, so didn't recognise him, but in looking into it, he did a cash drop off in Season 2 to Tuco.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #927 on: May 18, 2017, 02:15:29 pm »
Haha. Bloody hell so it is!!

I take your Chuck/David St Hubbins and raise you Mike Ermentraut/Gunderson (Airplane)

Here he is in one of the best comedy movies ever made IMO.  15 seconds in.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uEywGpIt0vw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uEywGpIt0vw</a>
One of my favourite ever films as a kid, that. Used to have it on VHS and watched it to it's death.
Stan Laurel

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #928 on: May 18, 2017, 02:16:27 pm »
We will definitely see some sort of evolvement of Krazy 8 - as much to show his back story but maybe to bring Jessie into the show?

Just went to Wiki BCS and how, after 26 episodes, have I not noticed Chuck is David St. Hubbins from Spinal Tap?!

:lmao No way !!
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #929 on: May 18, 2017, 02:59:03 pm »

:lmao No way !!
Glad I'm not the only one who hadn't noticed  ;D!
Stan Laurel

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #930 on: May 18, 2017, 03:10:14 pm »
Did you lot not realise Michael McKean was in Spinal Tap, or was he an unknown? He's been in a shitload of things!

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #931 on: May 18, 2017, 03:34:29 pm »
Did you lot not realise Michael McKean was in Spinal Tap, or was he an unknown? He's been in a shitload of things!
Not sure exactly what you're asking there. Put simply, I didn't realise Chuck was David St Hubbins. I recognised his face obviously and had seen him in other work more recently, but didn't know the actor's name and definitely didn't notice it was the actor who was in Spinal Tap.
Stan Laurel

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #932 on: May 18, 2017, 04:30:38 pm »
didn't know the actor's name and definitely didn't notice it was the actor who was in Spinal Tap.

Same

Seen him in loads of bits and pieces but never tied him to David St Hubbins

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #933 on: May 23, 2017, 11:53:56 pm »
Another good episode as you would expect

Spoiler
First time the relationship between Jimmy and Kim is starting to look strained.

I think that was the purpose of Jimmy and Kim in the bar debating who they could scam for a bit of fun.  They never scammed anybody in the end and things are just not as rosy any more.

It also appears Jimmy has stitched Chuck up with the Lawyer insurance people and I don' think Kim will like that one bit when she finds out..And she WILL find out
[close]

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #934 on: May 24, 2017, 01:10:21 pm »
Spoiler
That was dark.

Jimmy's gone to a bad place (and I don't mean on the roadside cleanup).  Getting the upper hand on his brother isn't enough - he wants revenge and it doesn't matter how far he goes. I was unconvinced by Jimmy's breakdown - until I realised it was another 'acting' performance.
It's the least likeable that Jimmy has been - if Chuck had done this, we'd be all 'Fuck Chuck'.

Kim is way too good for this life. She's already troubled by her role in Chuck's downfall, but seeing Jimmy in avenger mode is really straining her.
[close]
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #935 on: May 24, 2017, 01:28:03 pm »
Spoiler
Kind of a slow episode, which probably means subsequent trips after taking the left turn at  Albuquerque will be very dark and dramatic. The preview for next week's episode seemed to indicate so...

Is Mike falling for the woman with the missing, presumably dead Navy man? Why did he decide he needed the money from Nacho? Could he get her, lose her and then turn toward Gus on a permanent basis?
[close]
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #936 on: May 24, 2017, 02:01:49 pm »
Spoiler
Kind of a slow episode, which probably means subsequent trips after taking the left turn at  Albuquerque will be very dark and dramatic. The preview for next week's episode seemed to indicate so...

Is Mike falling for the woman with the missing, presumably dead Navy man? Why did he decide he needed the money from Nacho? Could he get her, lose her and then turn toward Gus on a permanent basis?
[close]

Spoiler
He didn't decide he needed the money. He decided he couldn't let Pryce become collateral damage. This extract from the Den of Geek episdoe review puts it better than I could:

Even as we see him become surprisingly comfortable in the support group Stacey introduced him to, a talk to his new friend about her pain over her husband’s disappearance is enough to remind Mike of that good Samaritan who tried to help Hector’s driver after Mike’s attack last season, an innocent who ended up dead for his trouble. People like Hector Salamanca rob innocents of their loved ones, and at this point neither Gus’ warnings nor the potential normal life being dangled in front of him are not enough to make Mike drop his vendetta. So, when Pryce comes to him for help and Mike deduces Nacho’s plan, an opportunity becomes clear. And while Mike may well think he knows who he is dealing with, his apparent willingness to go behind Gus’ back proves he has no idea of who his future boss is. Yet.
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #937 on: May 24, 2017, 02:59:49 pm »
Spoiler
He didn't decide he needed the money. He decided he couldn't let Pryce become collateral damage. This extract from the Den of Geek episdoe review puts it better than I could:

Even as we see him become surprisingly comfortable in the support group Stacey introduced him to, a talk to his new friend about her pain over her husband’s disappearance is enough to remind Mike of that good Samaritan who tried to help Hector’s driver after Mike’s attack last season, an innocent who ended up dead for his trouble. People like Hector Salamanca rob innocents of their loved ones, and at this point neither Gus’ warnings nor the potential normal life being dangled in front of him are not enough to make Mike drop his vendetta. So, when Pryce comes to him for help and Mike deduces Nacho’s plan, an opportunity becomes clear. And while Mike may well think he knows who he is dealing with, his apparent willingness to go behind Gus’ back proves he has no idea of who his future boss is. Yet.
[close]

Cheers, Alan... :wave

Also read, either on Vulture or avclub...

Spoiler
Mike doesn't want Nacho killing Hector to come back onto him via Gus, which also makes some sense...
[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #938 on: May 24, 2017, 03:26:53 pm »
Yeah thanks for that Al. I was thinking Mike was going to get money together to help the lady find her lost hubby.

Your spoiler tagged comments make much more sense :)

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #939 on: May 25, 2017, 07:03:55 am »
I'd watch an entire show of Mike just fixing things.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 11:06:25 am by Malaysian Kopite »
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #940 on: May 25, 2017, 12:49:08 pm »
Great episode.  I absolutely love Pryce - probably my favourite character. He's so clueless ha ha

I feel a bit stupid for thinking...
Spoiler
...that Jimmy was actually being genuine and remorseful during his breakdown at the law office.  He suckered me in to!
[close]

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #941 on: May 25, 2017, 03:55:52 pm »
Great episode.  I absolutely love Pryce - probably my favourite character. He's so clueless ha ha

I feel a bit stupid for thinking...
Spoiler
...that Jimmy was actually being genuine and remorseful during his breakdown at the law office.  He suckered me in to!
[close]
Same.

Then his face changed when he saw her writing something down.

I felt such an idiot.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #942 on: May 25, 2017, 03:56:50 pm »
Same.

Then his face changed when he saw her writing something down.

I felt such an idiot.
"It's all in the transcript"  ;D

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #943 on: May 25, 2017, 04:00:15 pm »
So first Jimmy nukes his brother in front of his ex-wife (and you might say it's fair enough, Chuck isn't clean). Now he goes out of his way to fuck over his legal career after already beating him. Who's the bad guy here!?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #944 on: May 25, 2017, 04:04:57 pm »
Im not sure how Jimmy's little act is going to affect things.  so....

Spoiler
I don't think Chuck or HHM are short of a few Bob so unlike Jimmy, Chuck's insurance premium going up isn't going to be THE end of the world.

Or will Chucks mental health have other effects in regards to his insurance?

Am i right in thinking they may not give him any Malpractice insurance which basically stops him from practising law?
[close]

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #945 on: May 25, 2017, 05:10:45 pm »
Im not sure how Jimmy's little act is going to affect things.  so....

Spoiler
I don't think Chuck or HHM are short of a few Bob so unlike Jimmy, Chuck's insurance premium going up isn't going to be THE end of the world.

Or will Chucks mental health have other effects in regards to his insurance?

Am i right in thinking they may not give him any Malpractice insurance which basically stops him from practising law?
[close]

Spoiler
Yes, I think it's the last one - they could easily cancel his current insurance for not revealing his condition  It's a really shitty, vindictive move.   
[close]

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #946 on: May 25, 2017, 05:41:19 pm »
Spoiler
It's tragic that Saul Goodman was born as a hopeful creative and funny advertising man in the previous episode, but at the end of this one we see the Breaking Bad character beginning to show through. The little twisted smile just before the credits was BB Saul through and through.

I can see one more series after this one but it might be very dark. Kim isn't going to be around much longer I think.

[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #947 on: May 25, 2017, 05:52:26 pm »
Spoiler
Yes, I think it's the last one - they could easily cancel his current insurance for not revealing his condition  It's a really shitty, vindictive move.   
[close]

Spoiler
To be honest, even without Jimmy stitching Chuck up with the insurers, i don't see how Chuck could practice again anyway until he was given a clean bill of health.

Any opposition lawyer on his next case would just throw the mental illness thing at Chuck anyway. Its common knowledge what happened and as we know anyone can 'read the transcript' :)

Chuck was finished the other week when Jimmy and Kim screwed him in court.

Jimmy's latest actions haven't made me hate him and love Chuck.

Chuck lived by the sword and now dies by it
[close]

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #948 on: May 25, 2017, 06:05:26 pm »
Well, it doesn't seem like Chuck is a trial lawyer anyway. He doesn't seem to do much lawyering at all, unless it's needed by the plot, I suppose.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #949 on: May 25, 2017, 10:50:14 pm »
Jimmy turning the screw on Chuck is brilliant to watch - it's why we love the show. More please!
Stan Laurel

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #950 on: May 27, 2017, 01:47:18 pm »
Wonderful show.

I've heard a few people say that it's slow and boring - which is slightly depressing. I think it's marvellous. Fantastically written, brilliantly acted. Reminds me of a lot of shows in the 80s and 90s when they weren't afraid of taking their time and building up. A lot of modern shows, while good, are all kind of POW! POW! POW!! It seems they are scared that people will turn away and leave if they don't get constant 'action'.

Loved breaking bad and this is just as good.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #951 on: May 27, 2017, 02:50:06 pm »
Wonderful show.

I've heard a few people say that it's slow and boring - which is slightly depressing. I think it's marvellous. Fantastically written, brilliantly acted. Reminds me of a lot of shows in the 80s and 90s when they weren't afraid of taking their time and building up. A lot of modern shows, while good, are all kind of POW! POW! POW!! It seems they are scared that people will turn away and leave if they don't get constant 'action'.

Loved breaking bad and this is just as good.

I'd say this current batch of tv is probably the most free of any generation, certainly in my lifetime. I was young in the 90s, but there are so many shows now that are given all the time they need to build their world and develop their characters.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #952 on: May 29, 2017, 10:08:48 pm »
No episode this week due to the Memorial Day holiday over there. Only 3 episodes left this season.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #953 on: May 31, 2017, 09:57:03 pm »
Don't look if you haven't seen episode 8.

Spoiler
Now that is the start of Saul Goodman. The look on his face as he just lay there said it all.
[close]

Offline mazlo123

• Legacy Fan
  • My kind of monster.
« Reply #954 on: May 31, 2017, 10:32:19 pm »
Wait, how did you see episode 8? I thought it wasnt released till next week?
They should go and feast on another dead corpse this one is alive and kicking and it will bite you fucking head off.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #955 on: May 31, 2017, 10:38:02 pm »
Wait, how did you see episode 8? I thought it wasnt released till next week?

Episode 8 was shown in Spain, it has now found it's way onto the internet with hard-coded Spanish subtitles
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline mazlo123

• Legacy Fan
  • My kind of monster.
« Reply #956 on: June 1, 2017, 12:12:44 am »
Episode 8 was shown in Spain, it has now found it's way onto the internet with hard-coded Spanish subtitles

Gracias Amigo :D
They should go and feast on another dead corpse this one is alive and kicking and it will bite you fucking head off.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #957 on: June 8, 2017, 12:11:29 pm »
Gilligan & Gould have created an original genre with BB & BCS:  the silent drama.

Between Nacho's pill swapping, and Mike's spying on his car bugging guys, and the entire train robbery sequence in BB, I'm pretty sure that not one word was uttered in any of those scenes and yet the tension is kept at excruciating levels.
I think my hands were shaking as much as Nacho's at the end.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #958 on: June 8, 2017, 01:17:15 pm »
Gilligan & Gould have created an original genre with BB & BCS:  the silent drama.

Between Nacho's pill swapping, and Mike's spying on his car bugging guys, and the entire train robbery sequence in BB, I'm pretty sure that not one word was uttered in any of those scenes and yet the tension is kept at excruciating levels.
I think my hands were shaking as much as Nacho's at the end.

Speaking of handshakes, Mike and Gus's was very intense as well...

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #959 on: June 9, 2017, 10:55:48 am »
The Nacho scene in the cafe was brilliant.