Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3473436 times)

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #54320 on: February 9, 2022, 11:39:05 am »
Power of the Dog ended up being a bit of a disappointment. Beautifully shot, scored and acted but the central conceit is just a bit soft and nowhere near as profound as it thinks it is. Probably still would've enjoyed it overall if the ending wasn't so anticlimactic.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54321 on: February 9, 2022, 02:23:19 pm »
I loved The Power Of The Dog’s ending, I thought the film was excellent and I can’t see it NOT cleaning up at the Oscars.  My third or fourth favourite film of 2021 (using the US release date).  Licorice Pizza and Dune are my favourite two then it’s between Nightmare Alley and The Power Of The Dog.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #54322 on: February 9, 2022, 02:44:17 pm »
I thought The Power of The Dog was one of the most tedious film viewing experiences of my life, and I'm normally an absolute sucker for a western.

Really underwhelming year overall it has to be said.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #54323 on: February 10, 2022, 08:37:39 am »
I haven’t watched all the films on the list, but the fact that Don’t Look Up is being nominated for Best Film says it all. 

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54324 on: February 10, 2022, 08:47:01 am »
Moonfall

Completely bonkers, stupid story but very entertaining.

Conspiracy theorists and people that love tinfoil will love this film

You need to suspend pretty much everything, but nice to see that Sam survived the White Walkers

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #54325 on: February 10, 2022, 12:14:15 pm »
Moonfall

Completely bonkers, stupid story but very entertaining.

Conspiracy theorists and people that love tinfoil will love this film

You need to suspend pretty much everything, but nice to see that Sam survived the White Walkers

Its got 'shit film that is trying to be so shit its good but actually is just utter shit' written all over it. I've seen the trailer a couple of times in the cinema and all you can hear at the end of it is people going 'fucking hell that looks awful'.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54326 on: February 10, 2022, 12:26:28 pm »
Its got 'shit film that is trying to be so shit its good but actually is just utter shit' written all over it. I've seen the trailer a couple of times in the cinema and all you can hear at the end of it is people going 'fucking hell that looks awful'.

I was saying that at the start of the trailer but by the end I was thinking "Okay I'm in!".

Might be something I check out from the comfort of home rather than buying a ticket though.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54327 on: February 10, 2022, 12:41:36 pm »
I thought The Power of The Dog was one of the most tedious film viewing experiences of my life, and I'm normally an absolute sucker for a western.

Really underwhelming year overall it has to be said.

Think you might have to be in a particular type of mood to enjoy it. I got about 45 minutes in and was absolutely bored out of my mind. Will go back to it at some point though.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54328 on: February 10, 2022, 12:51:01 pm »

It wasn't great and was a bit of a mish-mash, but it was entertaining.

Won't win any oscars like

And obviously not as good as "Lost in Translation" - the story wasn't as deep as that.. :D

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #54329 on: February 11, 2022, 04:33:33 pm »
My friend and I are going to see Belfast tonight, really looking forward to going back to the cinema missed it through all the lockdowns.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54330 on: February 11, 2022, 07:54:06 pm »
Uncharted

Me and Mrs. Allerton Loved it. If you like arty farty films then probably avoid.

Had a good, funny story, was a world-romping tale of adventure, greed, avarice, fisticuffs and mystery.

And lots of explosions.

Cracking.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54331 on: February 11, 2022, 09:22:26 pm »
Have you ever watched Congo, Andy? You’d fucking love it
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54332 on: February 11, 2022, 09:26:52 pm »
Just back from seeing Belfast, really enjoyed the film. Because of the setting of the film and the ever changing situation it was a really great idea having it done through the eyes of a child. All the actors were first rate, I especially loved Ciarán Hinds who I thought was terrific and he had great chemistry with the young lad. It was very well written and I agree with Andy's point. I won't give it away.

Oh yes, also seeing Colin Morgan playing a baddie for once that was interesting I still see him as Merlin from years ago.  ;D

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #54333 on: February 11, 2022, 10:09:03 pm »
Uncharted

Me and Mrs. Allerton Loved it. If you like arty farty films then probably avoid.

Had a good, funny story, was a world-romping tale of adventure, greed, avarice, fisticuffs and mystery.

And lots of explosions.

Cracking.
Have you played the games Andy? Is it a prequel to their story? Because if not, as much as I love the guy, Tom Holland is an horrific bit of casting as Nathan Drake.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54334 on: February 12, 2022, 12:13:15 am »
Have you played the games Andy? Is it a prequel to their story? Because if not, as much as I love the guy, Tom Holland is an horrific bit of casting as Nathan Drake.
Never knew a film came out, that is a shocking casting.

The guy I always thought would have been a perfect as Nathan Drake would have been this guy Nathan Fillion.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54335 on: February 12, 2022, 12:56:26 am »

Not played them at all.

Sounds like that might be an advantage.

Thought he was pretty good.

Very silly action fare, but I thought the stuntwork was excellent and some pretty nice totally off its head effects (Though the trailer showed you most of them!)

Worth a watch, but suspend belief and just enjoy it

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #54336 on: February 12, 2022, 09:32:36 am »
Never knew a film came out, that is a shocking casting.

The guy I always thought would have been a perfect as Nathan Drake would have been this guy Nathan Fillion.

To old now I guess but Holland seems flavour of the month really

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54337 on: February 12, 2022, 12:23:47 pm »
All I needed to see of Uncharted was the Holland casting and that moment in the trailer where he's hanging out the back of a plane and jumps back into it, that's enough to know it'll be liquid dogshit.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54338 on: February 12, 2022, 08:29:36 pm »
All I needed to see of Uncharted was the Holland casting and that moment in the trailer where he's hanging out the back of a plane and jumps back into it, that's enough to know it'll be liquid dogshit.

I hope you're not suggesting *gasp* that some action films have improbable scenes?

Not played the game, but I expect that the scene was maybe replicating something in-game?

No more mad than aliens in Marvel, Dorathies ruby slippers, any spy film ever made, Indy surviving on a German U boat (outside) for weeks or Mary Poppins zapping off to her next gig really.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54339 on: February 12, 2022, 08:31:40 pm »
I hope you're not suggesting *gasp* that some action films have improbable scenes?

Not played the game,but I expect that the scene was maybe replicating something in-game?

No more mad than aliens in Marvel, Dorathies ruby slippers, any spy film ever made, Indy surviving on a German U boat (outside) for weeks or Mary Poppins zapping off to her next gig really.

Exactly,it's based on a game mate  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #54340 on: February 12, 2022, 09:42:41 pm »
Has anyone seen Drive My Car? Really want to watch it but it seems basically impossible unless you find "unofficial" methods. Nowhere to stream it and no physical release. I don't really even know how to get hold of films via those other methods.

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54341 on: February 12, 2022, 09:53:21 pm »
Has anyone seen Drive My Car? Really want to watch it but it seems basically impossible unless you find "unofficial" methods. Nowhere to stream it and no physical release. I don't really even know how to get hold of films via those other methods.
It looks like its available for 10 GBP on the British Film Institute site if you are in the UK https://player.bfi.org.uk/rentals/film/watch-drive-my-car-2021-online

I haven't seen it yet. Might see it in theaters tomorrow, debating whether to go

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #54342 on: February 12, 2022, 10:04:43 pm »
It looks like its available for 10 GBP on the British Film Institute site if you are in the UK https://player.bfi.org.uk/rentals/film/watch-drive-my-car-2021-online

I haven't seen it yet. Might see it in theaters tomorrow, debating whether to go
Thanks, I might have to go with that.

Yeah everything about it sounds up my street, be interested to hear from anyone who’s watched it on here.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #54343 on: February 13, 2022, 01:24:28 am »
Finally got around to The French Dispatch. How was it not nominated for anything?

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54344 on: February 13, 2022, 10:42:40 am »

This argument is and has always been such a cop out. If I'm sat watching the next John Wick one day and he suddenly starts fighting a dragon should I be fine with that because dragons have appeared in other stuff?

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #54345 on: February 13, 2022, 06:55:07 pm »
Power of the Dog ended up being a bit of a disappointment. Beautifully shot, scored and acted but the central conceit is just a bit soft and nowhere near as profound as it thinks it is. Probably still would've enjoyed it overall if the ending wasn't so anticlimactic.
Yeah, I tend to agree with this. We watched it the other night, and it's just a but underwhelming. Campion as a writer tends to focus more on the tone than the story or even the characters, and I found it generally underwritten. I didn't warm to the characters or even understand their motivations, and the ending left me with a overall sense of meh.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #54346 on: February 13, 2022, 09:15:53 pm »
Just back from seeing Belfast, really enjoyed the film. Because of the setting of the film and the ever changing situation it was a really great idea having it done through the eyes of a child. All the actors were first rate, I especially loved Ciarán Hinds who I thought was terrific and he had great chemistry with the young lad. It was very well written and I agree with Andy's point. I won't give it away.

Oh yes, also seeing Colin Morgan playing a baddie for once that was interesting I still see him as Merlin from years ago.  ;D

Watched it tonight and I really enjoyed it. I went through all that shit and could relate to a lot of the film. It is a simple plot and doesn’t pretend to represent what went on but it does capture perfectly the close-knit communities back then in Belfast. Most of us were brought up with no “us and them” as Pa said in the movie.
#JFT97

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54347 on: February 13, 2022, 09:32:06 pm »
Watched it tonight and I really enjoyed it. I went through all that shit and could relate to a lot of the film. It is a simple plot and doesn’t pretend to represent what went on but it does capture perfectly the close-knit communities back then in Belfast. Most of us were brought up with no “us and them” as Pa said in the movie.

It must have been a right step back in time for you then. I am glad you enjoyed it all of the acting was of the highest standard I thought.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #54348 on: February 13, 2022, 09:53:56 pm »
It must have been a right step back in time for you then. I am glad you enjoyed it all of the acting was of the highest standard I thought.

Yes it took me way back. Luckily Belfast, the city, is a much better place now and hopefully things will continue to improve.
#JFT97

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54349 on: February 13, 2022, 10:35:45 pm »
This argument is and has always been such a cop out. If I'm sat watching the next John Wick one day and he suddenly starts fighting a dragon should I be fine with that because dragons have appeared in other stuff?

Wait. You're saying that John Wick is any way realistic in any way?

If it was reality, he'd be dead before 5 minutes had passed in the first film.

If that didn't kill him then he'd deffo be dead around 300 times in the next three films.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #54350 on: February 14, 2022, 12:17:56 am »
I'm fairly nonplussed about the Oscars this year.

Of the Best Picture nominees I've seen so far, Dune and Licorice Pizza are both worthy winners. Both are superb technical accomplishments while also delivering real emotional heft / great drama. Neither go down as one of my favourite movies ever, but they're IMO in a league of their own.

I liked Belfast a lot but that's likely to be somewhat down to my own experiences immigrating at about the same age as the lad, so it struck a chord with me. Really good film but I'm not sure whether the script was actually a bit superficial - I did think the directing was excellent though.

I haven't yet seen CODA but it looks like a middling crowdpleaser based on the trailer / reviews, King Richard was an Oscar-bait biopic but probably doesn't rise much further than that except that it has a slightly more original subject than most, The Power of the Dog I really wanted to like, and I think it's more than fine, but I'm a bit stunned at how it's been received both critically and by the Academy. It seems to be the odds on favourite but for mine it's probably at best a distant nominee in a field of 10 (and probably not at all in a field of 5). Nightmare Alley similarly probably is included because of a weak field. I liked it very much as a piece of pulpy, stylish entertainment (kinda similar to Grinding Nemo The Shape of Water), but less likely to win anything, but it's not Best Picture calibre.

Don't Look Up was unmitigated garbage and I enjoyed it all the less as someone who is very engaged with climate as an issue, because it's so embarrassingly clunky. Honestly don't know what the hell the Academy was thinking except that Leo is maybe a pretty influential person in the business?

Have not yet seen West Side Story but I want to like it - I was indifferent about the original.

Films unlucky to miss out

The Lost Daughter was for me one of the best 5 films of the year, easily. Pretty amazed it missed out actually because it was flat out excellent, and no less indie than some of what did get nominated. Olivia Colman is a shoo-in for Best Actress and Jessie Buckley is a decent shot at Best Supporting.

I find it quite interesting that exactly zero of the Best Actress films were nominated for Best Picture. To be fair, The Lost Daughter was the only really strong candidate of the 5, but it's a much stronger film than King Richard (Will Smith, Best actor nominee) for example. I wonder if it's actually some form of structural bias where the great roles for female actors are less within the Best Picture Oscar bait category and therefore get less lobbying support? Might just be idle speculation.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54351 on: February 14, 2022, 12:02:34 pm »

If that didn't kill him then he'd deffo be dead around 300 times in the next three films.

I'm saying that each movie/setting has established rules about what is and isn't viable. When you get movies that are set in the real world but then magically break the laws of physics in just one or two instances when it's convenient, I find it incredibly jarring and it shows a lack of interest in getting the details right, which for me is typically a good indicator that a movie is going to be shit.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54352 on: February 14, 2022, 12:17:04 pm »

As ever Andy, not sure you really get it (although not sure John Wick is the greatest example since I'm pretty sure he fell off like a 40 story building in the last one and managed to crawl away). And being based on a video game I don't really think matters, because Uncharted itself is meant to be pretty realistic no? A bit of an Indiana Jones clone (which again is all good until they bring in aliens and crystal skulls).

You can't really compare something which is meant to be moderately realistic to something which is literally meant to be the opposite. I was the same when I saw the trailer, it just looked daft (which isn't really what you want to take away from two minutes of a trailer). But then I appreciate we're speaking to someone who thought Moonfall was a groundbreaking triumph :D

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #54353 on: February 14, 2022, 01:06:45 pm »
Having to isolate with Covid. Any good film recommendations on Netflix or Prime?

Watched Don’t Look Up yesterday. Made us feel worse! Awful.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54354 on: February 14, 2022, 06:56:45 pm »
Having to isolate with Covid. Any good film recommendations on Netflix or Prime?

Watched Don’t Look Up yesterday. Made us feel worse! Awful.
Lost in Translation.

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54355 on: February 14, 2022, 08:32:55 pm »
Lost in Translation.
Not a bad shout, thanks Mac

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54356 on: February 14, 2022, 08:36:04 pm »
Just watched The Nest, which was okay. Bit meh. I think the covid might be affecting the concentration levels needed to enjoy a film.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54357 on: February 14, 2022, 08:39:34 pm »
I'm fairly nonplussed about the Oscars this year.

Of the Best Picture nominees I've seen so far, Dune and Licorice Pizza are both worthy winners. Both are superb technical accomplishments while also delivering real emotional heft / great drama. Neither go down as one of my favourite movies ever, but they're IMO in a league of their own.

I liked Belfast a lot but that's likely to be somewhat down to my own experiences immigrating at about the same age as the lad, so it struck a chord with me. Really good film but I'm not sure whether the script was actually a bit superficial - I did think the directing was excellent though.

I haven't yet seen CODA but it looks like a middling crowdpleaser based on the trailer / reviews, King Richard was an Oscar-bait biopic but probably doesn't rise much further than that except that it has a slightly more original subject than most, The Power of the Dog I really wanted to like, and I think it's more than fine, but I'm a bit stunned at how it's been received both critically and by the Academy. It seems to be the odds on favourite but for mine it's probably at best a distant nominee in a field of 10 (and probably not at all in a field of 5). Nightmare Alley similarly probably is included because of a weak field. I liked it very much as a piece of pulpy, stylish entertainment (kinda similar to Grinding Nemo The Shape of Water), but less likely to win anything, but it's not Best Picture calibre.

Don't Look Up was unmitigated garbage and I enjoyed it all the less as someone who is very engaged with climate as an issue, because it's so embarrassingly clunky. Honestly don't know what the hell the Academy was thinking except that Leo is maybe a pretty influential person in the business?

Have not yet seen West Side Story but I want to like it - I was indifferent about the original.

Films unlucky to miss out

The Lost Daughter was for me one of the best 5 films of the year, easily. Pretty amazed it missed out actually because it was flat out excellent, and no less indie than some of what did get nominated. Olivia Colman is a shoo-in for Best Actress and Jessie Buckley is a decent shot at Best Supporting.

I find it quite interesting that exactly zero of the Best Actress films were nominated for Best Picture. To be fair, The Lost Daughter was the only really strong candidate of the 5, but it's a much stronger film than King Richard (Will Smith, Best actor nominee) for example. I wonder if it's actually some form of structural bias where the great roles for female actors are less within the Best Picture Oscar bait category and therefore get less lobbying support? Might just be idle speculation.

You what?  :o

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #54358 on: February 14, 2022, 08:54:48 pm »
Just watched The Nest, which was okay. Bit meh. I think the covid might be affecting the concentration levels needed to enjoy a film.
Prime example of me being fooled by a trailer. Thought it looked great, turned out very boring.

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54359 on: February 14, 2022, 08:56:40 pm »
Prime example of me being fooled by a trailer. Thought it looked great, turned out very boring.
It had some interesting scenes, but yeah in general I completely agree with you. Dull!