Author Topic: The Panama Papers 11.5m files leaked.  (Read 39175 times)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: The Panama Papers 11.5m files leaked.
« Reply #120 on: April 5, 2016, 12:00:50 pm »
UK could impose direct rule on tax havens, says Jeremy Corbyn

The government should consider imposing direct orders on British overseas territories and Crown dependancies to stop them acting as tax havens, Jeremy Corbyn has argued.

The Labour leader, speaking to the BBC in Harlow, Essex – before a speech to launch the party’s local election manifesto in which he will accuse the prime minister of “pussyfooting” on tax matters – said the Cameron family’s own tax affairs should form part of an investigation into offshore avoidance.

Corbyn argued that the government should tell administrations in places like the Cayman Islands and British Virgin Islands: “Hang on, you are a government of a British dependent territory, a crown territory, you must obey UK tax law, you must not become a harbour for tax avoidance and tax evasion.”

There was precedence for direct rule to be imposed, Corbyn argued, and it should be done: “The point is that they are not independent territories. They are self-governing, yes, but they are British crown dependent territories. Therefore, surely, there has to be an observance of UK tax law in those places.

“If they have become a place for systematic evasion and short-changing the public in this country, then something has to be done about it. Either those governments comply or a next step has to be taken.”

This could be done “almost immediately”, Corbyn said.

Amid a global focus on the issue following a vast leak of tax records from a Panama law firm, Cameron has faced scrutiny as these files revealed his late father, Ian, ran an offshore fund that avoided ever having to pay tax in Britain.

Asked if Cameron himself had questions to answer, Corbyn replied: “Well, there are questions that have been placed there about his family’s estate and about his father’s investment.

“Obviously, they must be part of that investigation. The investigation must be independent, fast, thorough and fair so that we get to the bottom of this.”

Corbyn added: “People who have made a great deal of money over decades by siphoning their wealth out of Britain, putting it in a tax haven somewhere around the world, are actually short-changing the people of this country.”

Asked if he would publish his own tax returns, Corbyn replied: “No problem whatsoever in my tax returns … My income is what I earn as a member of parliament.”

The Labour leader argued that necessary openness trumped worries over financial privacy: “I think we need to know where somebody’s income comes from, and in that sense it should be open and above board. The public need to have confidence that their representatives in parliament and ministers are getting their income from honest and open sources and as members of parliament.”

At his speech in Harlow, Corbyn will say that the publication of the Panama Papers “drives home what more and more people feel, that there is one rule for the rich and another for everyone else”.

He will add: “It is time to get tough on tax havens. Britain has a huge responsibility. Many of those tax havens are British overseas territories or crown dependencies.

“The government needs to stop pussyfooting around on tax dodging. There cannot be one set of tax rules for the wealthy elite and another for the rest of us. This unfairness and abuse must stop. No more lip service. The richest must pay their way.”

Reverberations from the leaked files have been felt worldwide, particularly in Iceland, Russia and Ukraine. Revelations about the wealth amassed by Vladimir Putin’s inner circle prompted strong denials from the Kremlin. His spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, claimed the president was the victim of “Putinphobia”.

France, Australia, New Zealand, Austria, India, the Netherlands and Norway are among countries to announce official investigations within hours of the publication of the leak, and many more could follow in the coming days and weeks.

In his speech, Corbyn was also due to criticise cuts to HM Revenue & Customs, saying the government needed to provide extra resources to the tax authorities to go after those who think they are above the law.

“It is unacceptable that while councils’ budgets are cut and the services on which people rely are being cut back, the super-rich elite dodge their taxes and flout the rules,” he is to say.

Since the publication of the documents, Cameron has been under fire for failing to live up to the tough words of his promises to crack down on tax avoidance and tax evasion and to bring transparency to offshore jurisdictions.

Despite pressure from the UK, most crown dependencies and overseas territories have resisted moves for a central public register of beneficial owners of companies registered on their land.

On Monday, the prime minister’s spokeswoman said that Downing Street had responded to allegations about Cameron Sr in the past.

Asked if there was still any family money invested in the fund, she said: “That is a private matter.” She said the prime minister had “taken a range of action to tackle evasion and aggressive tax avoidance”.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/05/uk-could-impose-direct-rule-on-tax-havens-says-jeremy-corbyn-panama-papers?CMP=share_btn_tw
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #121 on: April 5, 2016, 12:02:21 pm »
UK could impose direct rule on tax havens, says Jeremy Corbyn

I suppose Britain would have to conquer Panama first?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #122 on: April 5, 2016, 12:18:55 pm »

Surely there must be a way of having the same effect no? Maybe making it harder for companies to shift money globally through various vehicles?
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: April 5, 2016, 12:22:07 pm »

That didn't go well for Scotland.....

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #124 on: April 5, 2016, 12:27:54 pm »
Indeed..
You could impose direct rule on these territories, it's true...

But I suspect the material effect would merely be that people would switch their tax affairs to different tax havens..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: April 5, 2016, 12:59:14 pm »
Best to do nothing then I guess.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #126 on: April 5, 2016, 01:05:08 pm »

Or rather than stopping the tax havens, because new ones will just be used which we can't stop, we make it harder to move the money out of the UK in the first place. That's the best way to prevent it.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #127 on: April 5, 2016, 01:07:14 pm »
The most depressing thing about all this is that it will change absolutely nothing, and will be largely met by total apathy by most people. The most surprising thing will be that anyone is actually surprised.
People like Clinton and Cameron will continue to get elected, corporations and bankers will continue to take the piss, and the super rich will just sit back and laugh at it all.
Sounds about right mate.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #128 on: April 5, 2016, 01:07:48 pm »
Roll call of top Tory tycoons exposed in #PanamaLeaks

Tory donors, former MPs and Conservative Lords have been implicated in the Panama Papers, which have cast light on the billions of pounds channeled tax free through law firm Mossack Fonseca.

The role of dishonor comes as Prime Minister David Cameron pledges to tackle the secretive offshore tax industry. However, he has faced persistent calls from opponents to share details of his late father Ian Cameron’s financial dealings with the law firm.

Among the high-profile tax-evaders are six peers, three former MPs and a string of businessmen. A crossbench peer and a UKIP donor were also named in the leaks. They include David Rowland, Tony Buckingham, Lord Ashcroft, Sir Tony Baldry, Lord Flight and Lord Bamford.

While there is no evidence of illegal activity, the donors and peers will no doubt come under intense scrutiny.

David Rowland

Rowland, a former tax exile, has donated almost £3 million (US$4.26 million) to the Tories, and was appointed party treasurer in 2010. He is a shareholder in numerous firms that keep their finances offshore and holds shares and properties in the British Virgin Islands.

Lord Bamford

Lord Bamford was made a peer shortly after closing a company registered in the British Virgin Islands, the documents show.

Tony Buckingham

Tony Buckingham “urgently” moved his finances to a tax haven, presumably to avoid paying millions of pounds of tax.

Lord Ashcroft

Lord Ashcroft, who published a salacious biography of the prime minister in 2015, has donated millions to the Tories, but admitted in 2010 that he did not pay tax on his earnings outside of Britain and stepped down as deputy party chairman.

Lord Flight

Lord Flight, another former deputy party chairman, also served as an MP until 2005, when he was effectively de-selected after saying the party would make deeper cuts than the manifesto suggested. He used Mossack Fonseca to manage his firms in Guernsey.

Sir Tony Baldry

Sir Tony Baldry served as an MP until last year’s general election. He chaired an oil company, whose director’s fees have been registered as an interest in the House of Commons.

Arron Banks

UKIP’s largest donor Arron Banks is also caught up in the controversy. He has both supported both party and given money to the ‘Leave.EU campaign’, and is the head of Southern Rock Insurance Company.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has called on Cameron to “stop pussyfooting around” the issues, and take action on tax-dodgers.

At an event in Harlow on Tuesday, Corbyn told Labour supporters the “richest must pay their way,” and that there cannot be “one set of rules for the wealthy elite and another for the rest of us.”

He put pressure on Cameron to take action against tax avoidance and called for UK tax laws to be immediately placed on tax havens.

“It is time to get tough on tax havens. Britain has a huge responsibility. Many of those tax havens are British Overseas Territories or Crown Dependencies,” he said.

He said the havens are leaving British public services underfunded at a time of austerity.

“They are sucking tax revenues out of our own country and many others fueling inequality and short-changing our public services and our people.”

https://www.rt.com/uk/338484-tory-donors-panama-papers/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=RSS

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #129 on: April 5, 2016, 01:14:36 pm »
Would be interesting to compare the amount of money it has cost the state in tax revenue of those who are in the "grey area"  of benefits claims with those in the "grey area" of tax avoidance.
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #130 on: April 5, 2016, 01:15:28 pm »
Colonial Corbyn? Is that not at odds with his general position on everything?

Halting this massive Tax abuse comes first,  so by putting his ideological thinking to one side this shows good leadership in my opinion.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: April 5, 2016, 01:16:15 pm »
Indeed..
You could impose direct rule on these territories, it's true...

But I suspect the material effect would merely be that people would switch their tax affairs to different tax havens..

It's just a political response by Corbyn more than anything, I imagine that line of thinking has a certain resonance with the public so there's room for attack on Cameron when he says he's not going to do it.

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: April 5, 2016, 01:19:16 pm »
Would be interesting to compare the amount of money it has cost the state in tax revenue of those who are in the "grey area"  of benefits claims with those in the "grey area" of tax avoidance.

One of the main reasons why there is such a large grey area is that politicians of all colours use the tax code to encourage pet projects- an allowance here, a tax relief there. Most are probably for good causes and made with good intentions- but they just create legal loopholes to be exploited by rich people's accountants. A quote from a good article:

The question is: why does the UK have the longest tax code in the world? The Hong Kong tax code, widely held by tax lawyers to be the most admirably efficient in the world, is 276 pages long. The British tax code, rapidly beginning to look like the most disingenuous in the world, is currently in excess of 17,000 pages. It has more than trebled in size since 1997.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/13/britain-tax-code-17000-pages-long-dog-whistle-very-rich

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #133 on: April 5, 2016, 01:59:40 pm »
Also like how Jeremy is starting to tangle Cameron into the tax web by calling for a public inquiry into his dad's and other people taxes named in the Panama Papers to see if they owe tax.

Say yes and it will be embarrassing.

Say no and it looks like hes got something to hide or doesn't care.

Offline Sindri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: April 5, 2016, 02:03:19 pm »
Icelands PM on the way out. Asked the president to sign the papers needed to dissolve parliament and call an early election.
The president refused to sign until he had a chance to talk to party chairs of the other parties in parliament.
Two likely scenarios to happen as early as by the end of the day, either a new coalition or minority government to be formed or the president to sign the papers for early elections.
1 corrupt c*nt down, how many to go?

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #135 on: April 5, 2016, 02:49:05 pm »
Also like how Jeremy is starting to tangle Cameron into the tax web by calling for a public inquiry into his dad's and other people taxes named in the Panama Papers to see if they owe tax.

No doubt the Tories will be up in arms over how its unfair to tarnish the son with the actions of the father while forgetting the filth they were spouting about Millibands dad last year.

Also, funny how trade union funds are supposedly bad for funding political parties but taking funds from people who avoid taxes... that's absolutely fine apparently. The double standards of these bastards know no bounds.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: April 5, 2016, 02:49:06 pm »
Surely there must be a way of having the same effect no? Maybe making it harder for companies to shift money globally through various vehicles?

one way is to make people declare assets over a certain figure.
Failure to do so and or hiding sums to be dealt with a hefty percentage fine on the total assets held.

they could make it law but then would mp's vote it rhrough?
doubt it.

maybe they can give a years amnesty so people can get their affairs in order....but still have to pay tax that they should have.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #137 on: April 5, 2016, 02:56:04 pm »
Cameron denies owning shares, but ducks question about benefits from offshore trust

Q: [From Sky’s Faisal Islam] Jeremy Corbyn has called for an investigation into the Panama revelations. Can you clarify that you and your family have not received a benefit from Blairmore Holdings fund?

Cameron says HMRC need to investigate this, using the information coming out of Panama, to make sure people are paying their tax.

What is coming out of Panama is effectively what the government is introducing in the UK, he says - a system allowing people to know the beneficial owners of shares.

He says he is responsible for his own finances, and for the nation’s tax system.

He says he owns no shares. He has a salaray, and he has some savings, which he gets some interests from, and he has a house, which he lets out. He has no shares or offshore funds.

He is also responsible for the tax system. He says no prime minister has done more to crack down on tax evasion and tax avoidance. The government has recovered billions of pounds this way, he says.

He says the government has also told crown dependencies and overseas territories that they will have to have registers of beneficial ownership too. Many countries are committed to this, he says.

He says there will be an anti-corruption summit in the UK to push this agenda further.

Cameron says he does not own shares or offshore funds. But he does not answer on behalf of other members of his family.

He sidesteps questions about whether he benefited from his late father’s offshore fund.

He claims “no prime minister has done more” to tackle tax avoidance.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/apr/05/no-10-insists-cameron-does-not-own-shares-as-tax-dodging-row-escalates-politics-live?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Facebook
« Last Edit: April 5, 2016, 03:27:38 pm by Trada »

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #138 on: April 5, 2016, 02:56:38 pm »
one way is to make people declare assets over a certain figure.
Failure to do so and or hiding sums to be dealt with a hefty percentage fine on the total assets held.

they could make it law but then would mp's vote it rhrough?
doubt it.

For the Tories that would be biting the hand that feeds them which they will never do.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #139 on: April 5, 2016, 03:36:38 pm »

I think there might be a range of options short of either conquest and direct rule from Westminster or doing nothing.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline XabiAlonsosBeard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: April 5, 2016, 03:37:33 pm »
Cameron doing his own Two Ronnie's tribute there.

Akin to the Mastermind send up, where Barker asks the questions and Corbett doesn't answer the question that was asked, but instead answers the question that was asked one before.

But, in Cameron's tribute, he simply doesn't answer the question asked, he instead answers the question he wanted to be asked and which allows him to provide the most spin and diversion.

And, didn't he call for transparency in government back in 2011-ish?
Justice for the 96.

Loves a missed penalty!

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #141 on: April 5, 2016, 04:09:10 pm »

A public enquiry is not really the appropriate response. HMRC needs to act on any new information coming out of the leaks and ensure that the correct tax is being paid.

A public enquiry would be the appropriate response if there is any indication that the HMRC has not been diligent in its statutory duty to collect tax.

Corbyn is completely right for his political ends to pursue it, but it is not a public enquiry matter - unless the HMRC are shown to be systematically failing. 

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #142 on: April 5, 2016, 04:13:05 pm »
Halting this massive Tax abuse comes first,  so by putting his ideological thinking to one side this shows good leadership in my opinion.

Ah, so his long-standing and hitherto unwavering opposition to colonialism can now be discarded because it is politically convenient. Wonderful!
DAMMIT!

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #143 on: April 5, 2016, 04:40:20 pm »
And remember this about Camerons wife.

David Cameron how do you feel about your wife working for tax avoiders?

David Cameron has been boasting about cracking down on firms who flee abroad to avoid paying much-needed tax in this country.

But as he spoke he faced fresh questions over his wife Samantha’s involvement with luxury leather firm Smythson that shifted its headquarters to Luxembourg and its parent company was given a £2million taxpayer-backed loan.

And it emerged the company’s address in the Grand Duchy turned out to be an anonymous, three-storey stone building behind grey, spiked iron railings.

No one at the outfit, which advertises python skin clutch bags for £850 and crocodile skin clutch bags for £3,200, answered calls.

Mrs Cameron’s estimated £100,000-a-year job as ­Smythson’s creative consultant will be a major embarrassment to the PM as he battles to convince voters he can ­crack down on corporate tax avoidance in the run-up to a general election.

Quizzed on the subject of fatcat firms moving abroad to skip paying duty, Mr Cameron said: “I’m very clear that I want every company to be headquartered in Britain and I want ­everybody working in those companies to live in Britain. That’s the aim.

"We have competitive tax rates, it’s a great place to live. The good news is lots of firms are choosing to headquarter in Britain and we will go on encouraging them to do so.”

And last week he boasted Britain had “led the world on tax transparency and making sure companies pay the taxes that they should”.

The PM claims he can raise £5billion over the next parliament from tackling tax avoiders.

Critics will no doubt want to know if that means Mr Cameron, who last year publicly branded comedian Jimmy Carr’s legal tax avoidance scheme “morally wrong”, will target the firm his wife works for.

Expert Richard Murphy said of Smythson’s complex, international arrangements: “I can think of no reason why you would adopt this ­structure other than for tax avoidance.”

Green party MEP Molly Scott Cato said the Smythson revelations raised questions about “deep conflicts”.

She added: “It demonstrates yet again why [the government’s] rhetoric on tax avoidance is not matched with action.”

Smythson is not accused of any ­wrongdoing and there is no suggestion Mrs Cameron has any involvement in the business’s tax affairs.

Her spokesman said: “Samantha Cameron has never been a director of Smythson.

“She ceased to be a manager and a shareholder well before May 2010.”

Smythson’s UK parent Holdsmyth had a £29.9million turnover in the 12 months to last March, a 5% rise from the previous year.

But it lost £1.6million in 2013 and took a cheap £2million loan under the Government’s National Loan Guarantee Scheme.

As the criticism of tax avoidance firms flew in, it was also revealed a Tory donor whose firm struck a deal to sell Smythson – which led to a £30,000 payment for Mrs Cameron – topped up his gifts to the party just six months after being made a peer.

Lord Leigh of Hurley lavished funds on the Tories until November 2012, but stopped for almost a year in the run-up to becoming a peer.

He entered the House of Lords in September 2013.

His firm Cavendish Corporate Finance brokered the £18million deal to sell Smythson in 2009.

That was seen as key to the later decision to switch to Luxembourg. Lord Leigh faced cronyism allegations over his peerage.

But he insisted his appointment to the Lords “had no connection or ­relevance directly or indirectly to the role played by Cavendish Corporate Finance, where I am a partner, in advising Smythson”.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-cameron-how-you-feel-5101528#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #144 on: April 5, 2016, 04:42:47 pm »
Ahmed Quraishi ‏@AQpk 44s45 seconds ago

#Pakistan PM #NawazSharif,under public pressure,addresses nation to explain family offshore holdings. #PanamaLeaks

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #145 on: April 5, 2016, 04:44:58 pm »
Icelands PM resigns.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: April 5, 2016, 04:47:12 pm »
I have to say, I can't criticise Cameron's wife really...

Assuming she's genuinely a creative consultant and not just in a grace and favour job (I don't know, but let's assume for simplicity it's a proper job)... Then I'm not in any way sure why she should have any idea about the company's tax affairs...

If you work for a company and it shifts it's tax centre, who would leave?  This isn't about illegally evading tax, it's just using EU rules totally legally.  Would my wife know?  I don't think she would

This story isn't important, the better question to ask Cameron, is if he gets an income from his family's off sure fund.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: April 5, 2016, 04:57:45 pm »
I have to say, I can't criticise Cameron's wife really...

Assuming she's genuinely a creative consultant and not just in a grace and favour job (I don't know, but let's assume for simplicity it's a proper job)... Then I'm not in any way sure why she should have any idea about the company's tax affairs...

If you work for a company and it shifts it's tax centre, who would leave?  This isn't about illegally evading tax, it's just using EU rules totally legally.  Would my wife know?  I don't think she would

This story isn't important, the better question to ask Cameron, is if he gets an income from his family's off sure fund.

Yeah, it would be hypocritical of me to criticise her, as I work for a company that is blatantly involved in tax avoidance (an offshore oil drilling company headquartered in landlocked Switzerland.....).

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #148 on: April 5, 2016, 05:01:37 pm »
One of the main reasons why there is such a large grey area is that politicians of all colours use the tax code to encourage pet projects- an allowance here, a tax relief there. Most are probably for good causes and made with good intentions- but they just create legal loopholes to be exploited by rich people's accountants. A quote from a good article:

The question is: why does the UK have the longest tax code in the world? The Hong Kong tax code, widely held by tax lawyers to be the most admirably efficient in the world, is 276 pages long. The British tax code, rapidly beginning to look like the most disingenuous in the world, is currently in excess of 17,000 pages. It has more than trebled in size since 1997.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/13/britain-tax-code-17000-pages-long-dog-whistle-very-rich

That is actually staggering.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: April 5, 2016, 05:23:54 pm »
Or rather than stopping the tax havens, because new ones will just be used which we can't stop, we make it harder to move the money out of the UK in the first place. That's the best way to prevent it.

Are any US citizens implicated in this? Maybe a good argument.

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: April 5, 2016, 06:22:40 pm »
That is actually staggering.

It really is. To use the Take That example- they exploited a tax code incentive to 'invest' in music and creative media, something which in the right circumstances could be a good thing and create future tax revenue streams. What they actually did was use a complex chain of companies and loans to effectively create a circle of funds that created large tax losses they could apply to their own taxes- reducing the amount paid significantly.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/take-that-tax-avoidance-how-gary-barlow-howard-donald-mark-owen-dodged-hmrc-1448258

The point is, its not just complex offshore group structures and entities that allow this tax dodging- it is our own complex tax law that creates opportunities to do this. I think if we hugely simplified it there would be less room for contention, less opportunity to create schemes and it would be much easier (and cheaper without the legal fees involved) for HMRC to enforce.

I suppose another problem comes when you have big 4 accountancy firm employees on secondment at the treasury writing these laws and then returning to firms to help clients minimise tax bills (and being very well paid for it).

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: April 5, 2016, 06:53:28 pm »
New story on this about to break on bbc...
W

Online cdav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: April 5, 2016, 07:02:31 pm »
New story on this about to break on bbc...

Sounds like it is linking the new FIFA President singing a TV deal with people accused of paying bribes. A new broom indeed...

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: April 5, 2016, 07:03:17 pm »
:lmao

New Fifa president Gianni Infantino signed off on a contract with two businessmen who have since been accused of bribery, leaked documents reveal.

Hugo and Mariano Jinkis bought TV rights for Uefa Champions League football and immediately sold them on for almost three times the price.

The 2006 contract was signed off by Infantino when he was a Uefa director.

It is among the 11 million documents leaked from the Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca.

Uefa initially denied doing business with any of the 14 people who have been indicted by the FBI in its investigation into corruption in world football.

It has now told the BBC the TV rights were sold to the highest bidder in an open and competitive tender process.

A senior Fifa source has told the BBC the deal should be examined by the governing body's ethics committee in the interests of transparency.

What is this all about?

Hugo and Mariano Jinkis are fighting extradition from Argentina to the United States.

In May 2015, US prosecutors alleged that, as the owners of Cross Trading, they paid millions of dollars in bribes to South American football officials over several years in order to gain lucrative television rights for regional football tournaments.

It is claimed the money was paid to senior football officials in exchange for cheap broadcasting rights that could then be sold on for a substantial profit.

Infantino is named on a contract with Cross Trading that concerns the Ecuadorian rights for Uefa Champions League football between 2006-7 and 2008-9.

Cross Trading, an offshore company registered to the tiny Pacific island of Niue, paid $111,000 (£78,000) for those rights.

Then, according to leaked documents, it sold those to Ecuadorian TV broadcaster Teleamazonas for $311,170 (£220,000).

Cross Trading also paid $28,000 (£20,000) for the rights to the Uefa Super Cup, selling those to Teleamazonas for $126,200 (£89,000).

There is no evidence to suggest Infantino received a bribe relating to the 2006 contract with Cross Trading, and no suggestion TeleAmazonas was in any way complicit in any wrongdoing.

At the time, Infantino was the director of legal services with European football's governing body, Uefa.

Cross Trading also has links to Juan Pedro Damiani, a member of Fifa's ethics committee who has already been placed under internal investigation.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35966433?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central
W

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #154 on: April 5, 2016, 07:10:19 pm »
The world is full of self indulgent, obnoxious, greedy, selfish wankers, shocker.

The perceived death of communism has ruined this world. They're all at it, the greedy fucking wankers.

How rich do people really need to be? - Now thats a question.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online cdav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: April 5, 2016, 07:35:31 pm »
Agree Chopper that it sadly it is not a shock.

The real question is why do it? Greed, lack of punishment if caught, a perception that 'everyone' does it, some sort of feeling of getting one over the authorities/public, listening to advisers after fees?

There was an article in the spectator a while ago that made an interesting point- companies who avoid taxes have a more competitive position- do they have to minimise tax to survive? (No in my opinion). But does it create a critical mass almost- as above a mentality that everyone else does it and we need to compete so we have to do it.

Also, how do you stop this in a global age? Shut down the overseas territories and they will go elsewhere, introduce a harsh punishments and it could reduce tax revenue if done by ourselves, standardise tax codes globally and there is an incentive to offer sweetners to bring business into countries- if there isn't a global will how can we leverage our position?

The only thing I can think of is developed countries (G8/whoever) threating to cut off access to global banking markets for jurisdictions that do not provide open access information on companies, directors, beneficial owners and sources of funds. If they cannot prove that it is legally obtained- it cannot flow from account to account (like what would happen if I walked into a bank with £10k cash and tried to deposit it personally). Or something like FATCA in America on a global scale

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: April 5, 2016, 07:38:43 pm »
Worth noting that Infanto has previously denied (as recently as March 8th) having ever dealt with these people..
W

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #157 on: April 5, 2016, 08:01:09 pm »
The world is full of self indulgent, obnoxious, greedy, selfish wankers, shocker.

The perceived death of communism has ruined this world. They're all at it, the greedy fucking wankers.

How rich do people really need to be? - Now thats a question.

I was thinking today, what if everyone just paid 20% tax (apart from those below the threshold £11,000per year) maybe people would be less inclined to avoid paying it.

20% from every millionaire/billionaire instead of just 40% off the ones who actually bother to pay has to be better surely?  But then reality hits and i realise some these fuckers will still try and cheat their way out of it. :-/
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: April 5, 2016, 08:10:50 pm »
Thats a far right tax policy.....

They would still avoid paying it
W

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #159 on: April 5, 2016, 08:23:19 pm »
Thats a far right tax policy.....

They would still avoid paying it

Yeah it didn't sound right in my head at all and now i know why!   :butt :puke2

Saw someone of BBC Breakfast saying the only way to stop it is to crack down on all the safe havens so the only places anyone could hide the money are places where no-one would want to keep it for fear of it dissapearing.   Won't hold my breath for this Government to put that into action though.  ::)
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...