Author Topic: Science Fiction books  (Read 29635 times)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Science Fiction books
« on: January 15, 2007, 01:46:42 pm »
I searched and searched....

Actually, there was a thread some months back which morphed into a Sci Fi type discussion but anyway.

That thread seemed to end up with a lot of people liking Iain M Banks (not to be confused with Iain Banks who is....the same guy, but just normal fiction). The middle "M" is reserved for his sci fi stuff.

Another sci fi writer I've gotten into recently is Jack McDevitt. Now, it would be harsh to say he is the Dan Brown of the sci fi world but he's not far off. Story, story, story but a cut above the Da Vinci Code and very enjoyable.

Any other faves?

Offline Fiend

• Want's a Mod to 'give him one'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Got Weird Enough For Me
Re: Science Fiction books
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 01:57:07 pm »
I'm not sure if you mean Fantasy too but since they tend to get lumped together...
I wholeheartedly recommend George R R Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series.
Its probably the most gruesome, shocking story I've ever read in fantasy. One of the major problems with Lord of the Rings is that all the main characters live. In Martin's world NOBODY is safe! Just as you grow to love a character he kills him off horribly.
Great series. I cant wait for the next book.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 02:00:08 pm »
I'm not sure if you mean Fantasy too but since they tend to get lumped together...

I didn't, as it turns out, but work away!

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 02:10:22 pm »
I love Iain M Banks. Have been reading a lot of Jack McDevitt. And would also recommend Alistair Reynolds and Peter F Hamilton.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 02:15:03 pm »
Have been reading a lot of Jack McDevitt.

Would you agree with the Dan Brown comparison?

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 02:16:13 pm »
Dune.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 02:19:52 pm »
Would you agree with the Dan Brown comparison?

No. Never even occured to me. There are plenty of Dan Brown rip-off merchants, but I would never have thought of putting McDevitt in that category - though I can see a few common elements: revealing hidden truths, and gimmick-ridden searches, but only really in the books about the historic artefact bloke.

Try Matthew Reilly's utterly ridiculous "Seven Deadly Wonders" for a real Brown rip-slash-pisstake.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 02:24:59 pm »
I really enjoy Iain M Banks novels. My favourite is probably 'Use of Weapons' but they're all pretty good. The 'Culture' is a great antidote to all the dystopian nightmare worlds that often crop up in science fiction. There are other British writers worth checking out. M. John Harrison has an amazing imagination. Another favourite is Jeff Noon from Manchester. 'Vurt' is his best, a fantastic novel.

The established American writers are good, Philp K Dicks short stories aren't especially well written but the ideas and imagination are first rate.

The best fantasy I've read is Stephen Donaldson's 'Chronicles of Thomas Covenant'. I read his 'gap into' series which tried to do the same thing for space opera but I never felt he hit the heights he reached in the Covenant novels. I also quite enjoyed Roger Zelazny's 'Amber' novels. I've recently bought a Jack Vance collection as he's a writer I admire.

Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 02:27:48 pm »
I'd look no further than JG Ballards's 'Complete Short Stories', and not a space ship in sight ;)

Alan Moore?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 02:29:20 pm »
I would never have thought of putting McDevitt in that category

Yeah, I've been ripping through them recently. Ancient Shores, then Polaris, then Slow Lightning and now just finished Deepsix. All thumping good reads.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 02:31:12 pm »
I did a course during uni called Science Fiction Science, which was good fun.  There was one short story I loved but I can't remember the title or the author, I'll have to have a look later.

Some of Crichton's early stuff is pretty decent, particularly The Andromeda Strain.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Fiend

• Want's a Mod to 'give him one'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Got Weird Enough For Me
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 02:35:37 pm »
Isaac Asimov's Foundation series is probably my favourite Sci-Fi story. It still stands the test of time with a few notable exceptions (computers are as 'big' as cities). It won the Hugo award for 'best series of all time' in 1965 beating out Tolkien's LOTR.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 02:38:38 pm »
Oh, does Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator count? ;)
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 02:40:18 pm »
I really enjoy Iain M Banks novels. My favourite is probably 'Use of Weapons' but they're all pretty good. The 'Culture' is a great antidote to all the dystopian nightmare worlds that often crop up in science fiction.

Yup, he's a great man for the "big ideas".

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 03:05:11 pm »
Totally agree about Foundation -- especially when you factor in the way Asimov later blended in his robot series.

Some of Orson Scott Card's work is also pretty damn great if you can get past his frequent religious subtext. Ender's Game and all the related books totally rock. And Treason is a really good read too.

Stephen Donaldson turned out to be a one trick pony in my view. The first set of Thomas Covenant was a fascinating read. The second trilogy and all his other books -- including the hardboiled detective fiction, were pretty much the same ideas recycled.

Julian May is also worth a look at, if you like the fantasy side of things. Particularly the Pliocean Exile and Galactic Milieu series.

And while we're throwing names out, what about Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, and Robert A. Heinlein. Not necessarily grandmasters of the form, but capable of great books from time to time. For example, The Mote In God's Eye and Stranger In A Strange Land or The Number Of The Beast.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 07:20:23 pm »
I did a course during uni called Science Fiction Science, which was good fun.  There was one short story I loved but I can't remember the title or the author, I'll have to have a look later.

Was just looking through my uni stuff, Kyrie by Poul Anderson was the short story I really enjoyed working on.  We also studied Nemesis by Isaac Asimov and Stephen Baxters Vacuum Diagrams (in particular The Sun-People), which were also good.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 05:20:35 am »
Dan Abnett

I've recently been plowing through his monsterous output for the black library.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 09:30:22 am »
I wholeheartedly recommend George R R Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series.
The greatest fantasy ever written. Realistic, gritty, complex and character driven.

Dance of Dragons will be sweeet. It contains my favs Tyrion and Dany - When it eventually come out

On another note, I tried Steven Erikson's series which is supposedly up there with Martin, but god, I read the entire first volume and I don't know whats going on, the characters have no character, and there's way too much magic.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 09:36:30 am by Rhaegar21 »
Yesterday's just a memory,
Tomorrow is never what it's supposed to be

Bob Dylan

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 02:03:52 pm »
Regardless of genre, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is my favourite book ever. It's a real character piece, so if that's your taste I can't recommend the book highly enough.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 02:44:27 pm »
Both the Enders Game and Foundation series suffer from the author milking it. They should have stopped writing them much sooner. You get the feeling in the end of Foundation series that Asimov is twisting the narrtive for the sole purpose of constructing a consistent universe from independently written novels. It just doesn't work in my opinion. Robert A Heinlein must be the worst offender for this.

I have recently been reading through most of these.

Not a duff novel in sight.

The gap between Iain Banks and Iain M Banks has been narrowing. The Business and the Bridge were very M like.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 11:37:46 pm »
Most of the stuff I've read has been mentioned, Asimov kind of invented sci-fi really, (not the genre, but the ideas), Phillip K Dick I really liked, especially A Scanner Darkly, Neuromancer by William Gibson was terrific.

Used to love John Wyndham as well, check out The Midwich Cuckoos or Trouble With Lichen, or Day of The Triffids.

HP lovecraft wrote some cracking short stories as well.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 10:36:16 am »
My favourite Wyndham novel is The Crysalids. Haven't read Trouble with Lichen. The triffids terrified me on telly as a child, I think I read the book later but don't recall much about it. A good writer.

I've read a few of those Sci Fi Masterworks. The Lathe of Heaven is superb and reminded me how much I loved the Earthsea series by the same author. Probably the first fantasy series I read and it stands up well to any other. 'I am Legend' by Richard Matheson is also superb. I'll probably start picking off that list as well, perhaps we could do a book swap?

Poul Anderson was someone I first came across via short stories. Science fiction seems to lend itself to this format. I prefer Philip K Dick's short stories to his novels, he's not great at character but his ideas are, er, out of this world...

Dune is mentioned above. The first novel is one of the greatest acts of imagination ever committed to a page. The depth of the world he creates is mind blowing. I stayed with the series but eventually I felt it lost its way. The interesting thing about the first book however is that several people I know who have no time for the sci fi genre have read this book and loved it. As they should because it's a classic. 

Talking of Dune reminded me of another series linked to the effect climate has on civilisation. Brian Aldiss is a British writer, he wrote three novels set on Helliconia, a world with something like a 1000 year cycle of seasons. An excellent read.

I've recently bought two collections from the Fantasy Masterworks series, Jack Vance's 'Tales of the Dying Earth' and a collection of the short stories of Lord Dunsany. Jack Vance is just a brilliant writer, regardless of which genre or box you care to put him in. Lord Dunsany is often cited as the father of the genre. If you want a flavour of his writing try this little gem. It subverts the traditional telling and has one of the best endings of any short story.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 10:53:00 am »
I'm not a huge Sci-Fi fan but Peter F Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy was superb space opera (even if he did manage to resolve 3000 pages worth of preamble within half a chapter at the end...). Iain Banks has gone badly off the boil in the last few years, unfortunately. I even find Excession (probably his last really good Sci Fi novel) annoying these days down to the boring bits with the eternally pregnant woman. Ted Chiang's Stories of Your Life and Others is a great collection of short stories.

I found the first Dune book to be excellent, but by the time you had a worm emperor zooming around on a cart, it was just silly and really dull.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 11:21:35 am »
I can't remember the pregnant woman, only the mad ship disgorging thousands of warships stuck with me from that one.

My issue with Iain Banks is that he's too wedded to a kind of split narrative. So you have separate strands which seem utterly disconnected but as the story unfolds the relation becomes clear. When it works, as it usually does, it's very effective. The problem is that he's used the same format so many times that it's become formulaic.

I still enjoy his novels though. From memory 'Look to Windward' was pretty good, think that was pretty recent? I liked the idea of the machine intelligence crushed by memory and remorse. The culture assasin made up of nano particles was also cool. I could make ample use of one of those. Make it so please.

Which was the one with the giant sentient gas balloons?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 11:27:57 am »
Which was the one with the giant sentient gas balloons?

Think it was the Algebraist, http://www.iainbanks.net/sf10.htm

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 11:41:45 am »
Also reading a bit of Neil Gaiman at the moment. Not sure if he qualifies for SF, more magicky kind of stuff (and not your South American magical realism, either) but very bizarre and quite out there, as well as being very funny.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 11:51:50 am »
I'm a massive fan of Phillip K Dick and really like Heinlein, Asimov etc. Ubik is one of the great sci-fi novels in my opinion. Some of his less well known novels are my favourites: Clans of the Alphane Moon which is about a society that develops out of a psychiatric colony that becomes cut off from Earth. The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and A Maze of Death are also excellent. The themes of reality, empathy and what it is that makes us human run through all of his books.

Stanislav Lem was a genius (he died in 2006). Solaris is a wonderful book and even the Soderbergh film version was pretty good (though not a patch on Tarkovsky's). As a start try reading The Cyberiad, which is a collection of fables about a universe populated by robots. I haven't read it for years but remember it as intelligent and very funny. Both Lem and Dick are writers first and science fiction writers second having more in common with writers like Jorge Luis Barthes and Orwell. One of Lem's books, A Perfect Vacuum, is a review of sci-fi books that don't actually exist (something Borges does), apart from a scathing review of "A Perfect Vacuum" of course. And Dick's a Scanner Darkly is not so much about the future as about Californian drug culture in the sixties and seventies - the sci-fi elements just bring the issues of insanity and mistrust into sharper focus in the same way that 1984 is about the post-war world, not the future.

One Book that I would recommend to everyone is Roadside Picnic by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky (made into a film entitled Stalker by Tarkovsky). The premise takes the standard idea of aliens visiting earth and gives it a sublime twist. Instead of the usual alternatives - make peace or attack without warning and enslave the population, or maybe watching over us - it has the aliens stopping and "having a picnic" leaving their rubbish and moving on. The aliens have been and gone when the book starts leaving "The Zone" full of anomalies and a host of artefacts that are collected by the Stalkers... a strange and thought-provoking book.

I enjoyed J G Ballard's Crystal World and Drowned World which share themes of entropy and slow collapse and fragmentation. They are strange and dreamlike but memorable.

I think I prefer science fiction that challenges and goes beyond the space cowboy principle or even the science fantasy tales which are essentially moral tales about good v evil. I actually enjoy the best of those but it's more interesting to consider the fact that instead of being God or the Devil, an alien might be incapable of mutual understanding, or even be completely indifferent to us and see where that leads. For me the best sci-fi isn't about trying to predict technological advances but should be telling us about our lives today by casting a different shadow. It should be in the mould of Huxley, Orwell and Swift.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 10:34:38 am »
Also reading a bit of Neil Gaiman at the moment. Not sure if he qualifies for SF, more magicky kind of stuff (and not your South American magical realism, either) but very bizarre and quite out there, as well as being very funny.

Ok, read American Gods previously, and now just finished Anansi Boys, which was very inventive and funny. I heartily recommend.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 11:04:11 am »
For me the best sci-fi isn't about trying to predict technological advances but should be telling us about our lives today by casting a different shadow. It should be in the mould of Huxley, Orwell and Swift.

'The Dispossessed' by Ursula Le Guin. 'Left hand of darkness' too.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 01:00:36 pm »
Anyone read Neal Stephonson's Snow Crash?

I'm contemplating this one for my holiday next week.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2007, 02:34:59 pm »

Yes, quite "hard" sci fi, of a type sometimes called cyberpunk. I seem to remember liking it lots.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2007, 03:06:08 pm »
Might have a look in Borders at the end of the week, cheers.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2007, 03:14:49 pm »
'The Dispossessed' by Ursula Le Guin. 'Left hand of darkness' too.

I'm going to have to dig through the loft and find Left Hand of Darkness... I don't think I've read The Dispossessed but will have a look.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2007, 10:06:14 pm »
This week, I 'ave been mostly readin'....

Stephen Baxter. A Liverpool lad, apparently and quite varied, at least from what I've gleaned from the two I've read and a quick wiki search http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Baxter.

"Time" was really very well put together, a good story with lots of character and plenty of theory and toys. Some of it is actually quite profound and always enough science to go with the fiction.

As for the the other one, "Ring" is completely different, and frankly tough going. There's a lot of particle, astro and other types of physics in there and I don't which is made up and which is true - maybe it's all scientifically sound, I don't know. Now, I'm interested in that stuff but I know really fuck all about it, and this is just over my head.

Anyway, I'm going for "Evolution" now, which is apparently from another series of his and is supposed to be altogether different from either of the two other types.

This by the way...
We also studied Nemesis by Isaac Asimov and Stephen Baxters Vacuum Diagrams (in particular The Sun-People), which were also good.

....is apparently from the same series as the one of which I couldn't get more than the general gist. You must be brainy.

Offline Wilbur

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2007, 03:36:03 am »

Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash is very good, and I also recommend the following of his novels:

Cryptonomicon
Zodiac
The Diamond Age, or a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer

Stephen Baxter has some good recent stuff.

Of course William Gibson's books are ALL excellent.

Vernor Vinge's "Deepness in the Sky" and "A Fire Upon the Deep" are tremendous.

Nineteen, we want nineteen.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2007, 03:47:37 am »
I'm a massive fan of Phillip K Dick and really like Heinlein, Asimov etc. Ubik is one of the great sci-fi novels in my opinion. Some of his less well known novels are my favourites: Clans of the Alphane Moon which is about a society that develops out of a psychiatric colony that becomes cut off from Earth. The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and A Maze of Death are also excellent. The themes of reality, empathy and what it is that makes us human run through all of his books.

Stanislav Lem was a genius (he died in 2006). Solaris is a wonderful book and even the Soderbergh film version was pretty good (though not a patch on Tarkovsky's). As a start try reading The Cyberiad, which is a collection of fables about a universe populated by robots. I haven't read it for years but remember it as intelligent and very funny. Both Lem and Dick are writers first and science fiction writers second having more in common with writers like Jorge Luis Barthes and Orwell. One of Lem's books, A Perfect Vacuum, is a review of sci-fi books that don't actually exist (something Borges does), apart from a scathing review of "A Perfect Vacuum" of course. And Dick's a Scanner Darkly is not so much about the future as about Californian drug culture in the sixties and seventies - the sci-fi elements just bring the issues of insanity and mistrust into sharper focus in the same way that 1984 is about the post-war world, not the future.

One Book that I would recommend to everyone is Roadside Picnic by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky (made into a film entitled Stalker by Tarkovsky). The premise takes the standard idea of aliens visiting earth and gives it a sublime twist. Instead of the usual alternatives - make peace or attack without warning and enslave the population, or maybe watching over us - it has the aliens stopping and "having a picnic" leaving their rubbish and moving on. The aliens have been and gone when the book starts leaving "The Zone" full of anomalies and a host of artefacts that are collected by the Stalkers... a strange and thought-provoking book.

I enjoyed J G Ballard's Crystal World and Drowned World which share themes of entropy and slow collapse and fragmentation. They are strange and dreamlike but memorable.

I think I prefer science fiction that challenges and goes beyond the space cowboy principle or even the science fantasy tales which are essentially moral tales about good v evil. I actually enjoy the best of those but it's more interesting to consider the fact that instead of being God or the Devil, an alien might be incapable of mutual understanding, or even be completely indifferent to us and see where that leads. For me the best sci-fi isn't about trying to predict technological advances but should be telling us about our lives today by casting a different shadow. It should be in the mould of Huxley, Orwell and Swift.

Excellent post, if you don't mind me saying.  ;D

Ubik is a great book...err ubiquitous even. I'd recommend Phillip K Dick, although his writing style can often be quite rough, probably on account of the drugs (speed) he used when writing.

Neal Stephenson has already been mentioned. Love his stuff, but maybe he's not for everybody. Cryptonomicon is a cracking read, but I'm not really sure why it gets put in the Science Fiction section. Essentially it's a WWII thriller with some stuff about cryptography and Japanese gold in the Philippines, worth reading all the same.

Neil Gaiman, mentioned above, Neverwhere and Stardust would be my picks, but haven't read his latest stuff.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy is also good. The first book is definitely the best, the other two get a little strange.

A classic era sci-fi writer worth trying and not already mentioned is Arthur C Clarke, "Rendezvous With Rama".

A couple of others J. G. Ballard and Brian Aldiss.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2007, 08:46:06 am »
Some good Science Fiction authors;

Arthur C. Clarke
Isaac Asimov
Philip K. Dick
Stephen Donaldson
William Gibson
Steven Baxter
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2007, 12:22:01 pm »
This week, I 'ave been mostly readin'....

Stephen Baxter. A Liverpool lad, apparently and quite varied, at least from what I've gleaned from the two I've read and a quick wiki search http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Baxter.

Just reading Time Like Infinity. Not bad so far, but the font of the book is too large - it feels like it should be a kids book rather than the hard s.f. it actually is.

I enjoyed Moon Seed.

I have just read most of Alastair Reynolds ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alastair_Reynolds ). Good hard s.f. - he is an astrophysicist by trade. He does seem to have suffered from disaster inflation - he has to wipe out several solar systems per novel. He had the guts to kill off recurring characters in the first half of a novel - which was refreshing.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 04:53:39 pm »
Not sure if it is Sci Fi exactly but World War Z by Max Brooks is very very good.

Its about zombies taking over the world but written in the style of an offical report by the U.N. so its just interviews with the people who survived.

That makes it sound really shit, but believe me, it is very enjoyable!
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Bobby Fury

• Fountain of Musical Knowledge
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2007, 05:00:40 pm »
I read the book "Earth Abides", by George Rippey Stewart many years ago while in school.  It was written in the late 1940s but is still an excellent read and still available!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Earth-Abides-George-Rippey-Stewart/dp/0345487133/ref=sr_1_4/202-7510317-8320648?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179158235&sr=1-4
LFC - It's what's happening!!!