Author Topic: Preview: West Bromwich Albion V Liverpool 26 September  (Read 82603 times)

Offline -Q-

• What's the Q for? The workhouse for the poor and the gallows for the left.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Preview: West Bromwich Albion V Liverpool 26 September
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2012, 07:52:27 am »
Really looking forward to this game.  We get a chance to avenge our defeat there (like we did at Stoke last year - not that I believe in omens).

Will be good to see another fairly young team with Downing, Carra and Enrique getting games - and Jones given a chance to impress and hopefully put a bit of pressure Pepe.
Welcome to Liverpool Brendan Rodgers
Quote from: Brendan Rodgers
Liverpool Football Club is the heartland of football folklore...     Liverpool are one of the dynasties of the game...     I will fight for my life for the supporters and the people of this city

Offline jimmyjr86

• Legacy Fan
  • Up on a hill, here's where we begin...
« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2012, 08:19:13 am »
Echo has said Enrique is injured. Gerrard Skrtel Allen Suarez haven't travelled.

Sinclair (who just turned 16) is in the squad.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2012, 08:29:32 am »
I'd actually consider keeping Borini in the side here.  He's come in for a lot of criticism, even though I think a lot of it is unwarranted and any chance to snatch a goal is a good thing.

Other than that just get the kids out there (or those that have been struggling for starts).  Would want to see Henderson and Sahin in the centre and be great to see Suso, Wisdom, Coates, Assaidi and Yesil at some point.

I have a feeling we might win this.  Wasn't it last season were we lost that dreadful game at Stoke in the league and then beat them in the League cup?

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2012, 08:29:37 am »
Why wouldn't Coates start? If a Centre half can't play two games in 4 days then there is a big problem. Also surprised Skrtel didn't travel - he has played a lot of matches in the last two years without much trouble.

Worried we are taking it too lightly - its a cup and with two strong teams already out we have a good chance of defending it.

EDIT: Just seen that Reina has been left behind - why? He is not gonna get tired; and the chances of him getting injured or suspended are remote - its not as if we are facing big teams after this.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:32:50 am by Niru Red4ever »
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Preview: West Bromwich Albion V Liverpool 26 September
« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2012, 08:32:16 am »
I'd actually consider keeping Borini in the side here.  He's come in for a lot of criticism, even though I think a lot of it is unwarranted and any chance to snatch a goal is a good thing.

Other than that just get the kids out there (or those that have been struggling for starts).  Would want to see Henderson and Sahin in the centre and be great to see Suso, Wisdom, Coates, Assaidi and Yesil at some point.

I have a feeling we might win this.  Wasn't it last season were we lost that dreadful game at Stoke in the league and then beat them in the League cup?

He's injured and hasn't trained all week.

Offline Scouserpool

• Legacy Fan
  • https://twitter.com/Thommas86
« Reply #165 on: September 26, 2012, 08:41:01 am »
Echo has said Enrique is injured. Gerrard Skrtel Allen Suarez haven't travelled.

Sinclair (who just turned 16) is in the squad.

If he gets game time(Sinclair) will he be our youngest ever player to play a match?
PSN: delete_one

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

"I want to use the incredible support to make coming to Anfield the longest 90 minutes of an opponent’s life." Brendan Rodgers

Offline gods_left_peg

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #166 on: September 26, 2012, 08:45:14 am »
If he gets game time(Sinclair) will he be our youngest ever player to play a match?

Yep, here's the link to the article:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/09/26/jerome-sinclair-could-become-liverpool-fc-s-youngest-player-in-reds-capital-one-cup-tie-at-west-brom-100252-31908663/

According to the Echo Agger might be fit for Saturday, if so I wonder if Coates will start tonight. I'm also quite surprised that Suso isn't rumored to be starting, even if he is starting on Saturday, surely its the more games the better at this stage in his career.

“This club will always be the most important thing for ­millions of fans all over the world, just like Everton are the most important club to some people." - King Kenny

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: September 26, 2012, 08:49:26 am »
So any news of the players who have traveled? I would leave back Gerrard and Johnson and take everybody else.

The Echo article says that the Skrtel and Reina will be rested; but I hope they will start and Allen, Suarez remain on the bench if needed. If we take them too lightly we may end up getting battered.

Any news on Flannagan? How long before he is back?
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Online Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: September 26, 2012, 08:53:12 am »
I'm also quite surprised that Suso isn't rumored to be starting, even if he is starting on Saturday, surely its the more games the better at this stage in his career.

Can see your point but perhaps BR is thinking that if he plays and gets an injury we'll be compromised in what is a hugely important game against Norwich.

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: September 26, 2012, 08:56:42 am »
So any news of the players who have traveled? I would leave back Gerrard and Johnson and take everybody else.

The Echo article says that the Skrtel and Reina will be rested; but I hope they will start and Allen, Suarez remain on the bench if needed. If we take them too lightly we may end up getting battered.

Any news on Flannagan? How long before he is back?

Don't believe Allen or Suarez has travelled. With the addition's of Sinclair and Sama its obvious this will be a complete development squad with the odd squad player(Downing, Assaidi, Henderson, Sahin, Carragher, Jones). Out of the 4 competitions we're in this is the lowest priority so i'm not surprised the first team aren't involved. They have an important game to prepare for. We might get battered tonight, we might not. But Rodgers should learn more about a few players and maybe someone will take their chance.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: September 26, 2012, 09:07:28 am »
very risky putting out such an inexperienced team, its a great chance of a cup, its a route into Europe and surely loosing again will bring bad headlines and lower the confidence yet again, and what if WBA get wind of the team, Clarke could play a few of his big guns...personally id hate to see us go out so early, cup runs are great and we should not be putting all our eggs into one basket, when the best we might end up is top half and no European football

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: September 26, 2012, 09:13:11 am »
Could go both ways this, sorry for pointing out the obvious!

We've got experience and youthfullness in that predicted squad but they really have to turn up, as much as we have to play our game its gonna be interesting how WBA line-up, that could really decide it, if they go for it and put out there strongest possible team then its gonna be a tough game, i'm hoping they rest a few, we certainly have.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: September 26, 2012, 09:18:36 am »
I'd be surprised to see Sinclair come on, honestly.  Presumably Yesil or Morgan will start and the other one would be the first one off the subs bench.

I really hope Robinson gets the nod at left back.  Also it would be good to see Suso get some more minutes.  Apart from that I'm not bothered, really.  The young lads are all good players and I don't think will let us down in any way.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline ScouserAlec

• Kopite
« Reply #173 on: September 26, 2012, 09:21:11 am »
Yesil is starting , as is Pacheco and Danny Wilson.. thats all i know upto now

★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05

Offline Resurrected

• No longer active on the forum.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: September 26, 2012, 10:09:49 am »
I'm pretty sure we'll see a 'weakened' side put out but it will be interesting to see the progress we've made since the opening day.

Offline mayday

• Kopite
  • Keep the faith
« Reply #175 on: September 26, 2012, 10:15:53 am »
what happened to Coates? are we preserving him for Saturday?
In Brendan We Trust

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: September 26, 2012, 10:18:13 am »
what happened to Coates? are we preserving him for Saturday?

Hope he plays. Pointless saving a CB for two matches in 4 days when he has had a week's rest.

Offline mayday

• Kopite
  • Keep the faith
« Reply #177 on: September 26, 2012, 10:18:25 am »
and is Ibe in the squad?
In Brendan We Trust

Online Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: September 26, 2012, 10:22:53 am »
very risky putting out such an inexperienced team, its a great chance of a cup, its a route into Europe and surely loosing again will bring bad headlines and lower the confidence yet again, and what if WBA get wind of the team, Clarke could play a few of his big guns...personally id hate to see us go out so early, cup runs are great and we should not be putting all our eggs into one basket, when the best we might end up is top half and no European football

We'll have some inexperienced players, that's for sure. But if we include Jones, Carra, Coates, Sahin, Henderson and Downing, we should have enough players who have been in this kind of situation before. Not our strongest side by far, but with enough stability for a team with a few young players in it.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

« Reply #179 on: September 26, 2012, 10:23:23 am »
Why wouldn't Coates start? If a Centre half can't play two games in 4 days then there is a big problem. Also surprised Skrtel didn't travel - he has played a lot of matches in the last two years without much trouble.

Worried we are taking it too lightly - its a cup and with two strong teams already out we have a good chance of defending it.

EDIT: Just seen that Reina has been left behind - why? He is not gonna get tired; and the chances of him getting injured or suspended are remote - its not as if we are facing big teams after this.
why, why, why, why why? Because the manager says so.

Online Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2012, 10:25:25 am »
Hope he plays. Pointless saving a CB for two matches in 4 days when he has had a week's rest.

Agree. As long as he's not injured Coates should play. No ifs, no buts. He should play. We spent a fair amount of money on him. He's won the Copa America and is on the way up. If we can't rely on him now, in particular when Agger is out, we might as well sell him. IMO he should be one of the first names on the team sheet for tonight and he should be very well placed to start this weekend as well. He'll cope.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2012, 10:26:49 am »
Agree. As long as he's not injured Coates should play. No ifs, no buts. He should play. We spent a fair amount of money on him. He's won the Copa America and is on the way up.

Not really, the league game is more important isn't it, if he's being kept for that?

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2012, 10:33:47 am »
Coates can play this game and the league game for me, two in a row after not playing shouldn't be too much of a problem.  If he'd been playing with more regularity then yes but there's no doubt in my mind that he can play this and the Norwich game.  I don't want to see Reina in this game, much rather see how Gulacsi fares personally if this season is to be one of transition and the blooding of youngsters.  He can do a job from what I've seen of him at lower levels.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline edmundljs

• Kopite
  • A Liverbird upon my chest, JUSTICE!!!
« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2012, 10:33:55 am »
Great OP. Something different from what we usually have for pre match threads. Bring it on tonight!!!

Offline anfieldanfield

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2012, 10:34:17 am »
Not really, the league game is more important isn't it, if he's being kept for that?

He has played about 3 games this season and he's 22 years old. He must be chomping at the bit.

Are we saying that none of our players are capable of playing twice in a week ?

Especially with Agger's injury not being serious, I really don't see the logic in him not starting tonight.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2012, 10:37:08 am »
He has played about 3 games this season and he's 22 years old. He must be chomping at the bit.

Especially with Agger's injury not being serious, I really don't see the logic in him not starting tonight.

Cos although Agger is not serious he might not make it back Saturday, so keep Coates in reserve for that game.
It makes perfect sense to me.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline qbduncan

• Main Stander
« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2012, 10:38:07 am »
Is the league game more important than this one? We are not going down but with the terrible start we have had getting in the top six could be very difficult, winning today and having a good cup run could be the best option to getting into Europe

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2012, 10:38:37 am »
Can see us snatching a narrow win here. It's funny how I'm more confident about our youth/second team than I am about the first team at the moment. (The first team just seems cursed and ridiculously unlucky).

Going to miss Shelvey's influence though. He and Borini made all the difference against Young Boys.

For me, it's important that we go far in this competition and in the FA Cup. Even if just to make our final league position a bit more bearable to see at the end of the season.

Then again, if West Brom take it seriously and pick a near-first 11 side, we could easily lose.

Glad I am not the only one more confident in the 2nd team than the first (Downing and Carra aside). It seems that the 2nd team pass the ball better as a team IMO. West Brom aren't any better than Young Boys so it still a winnable game with our second team but it will be tough.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2012, 10:39:31 am »

Didn't say he can't play twice a week, its the risk factor of playing him. I'd rather see Coates on weekend than a Skrtel and Carragher partnership.

Besides if Wilson (if he plays) is ever going to have a career with us he needs some playing time?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2012, 10:40:16 am »
Is the league game more important than this one? We are not going down but with the terrible start we have had getting in the top six could be very difficult, winning today and having a good cup run could be the best option to getting into Europe

So we should give up on the league already? :o

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2012, 10:43:05 am »
The team was leaked on Twitter yesterday by a journalist, who didn't mean to tweet it - must have been a DM gone wrong. He took it down within seconds.

Unsure of whether or not I should post it...?

Surprised not to see Coates starting as surely he will be taking Agger's place.

Offline JohnOK

• Main Stander
« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2012, 10:46:50 am »
The team was leaked on Twitter yesterday by a journalist, who didn't mean to tweet it - must have been a DM gone wrong. He took it down within seconds.

What was the team posted mate?

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2012, 10:47:29 am »
Agree. As long as he's not injured Coates should play. No ifs, no buts. He should play. We spent a fair amount of money on him. He's won the Copa America and is on the way up. If we can't rely on him now, in particular when Agger is out, we might as well sell him. IMO he should be one of the first names on the team sheet for tonight and he should be very well placed to start this weekend as well. He'll cope.

If Coates doesn't play, it's only because we are saving him for Saturday I would prefer he not play if we need him Saturday. But at the same time, a centre back should be able to play 2 games in 4 days especially a young one.

Offline my name canged back to tucker?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2012, 10:48:10 am »

you cant post that then not tell us the team, tease

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: September 26, 2012, 10:48:51 am »

You might as well.

Offline qbduncan

• Main Stander
« Reply #195 on: September 26, 2012, 10:48:51 am »
So we should give up on the league already? :o

Not at all but we should take the League Cup seriously last season it was one of the only positives to come out of it got us into Europe this year, we need to take it more seriously than resting players for Saturday...

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #196 on: September 26, 2012, 10:51:05 am »
Not at all but we should take the League Cup seriously last season it was one of the only positives to come out of it got us into Europe this year, we need to take it more seriously than resting players for Saturday...

Its managing the squad tho mate, it needs to be done carefully.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: September 26, 2012, 10:51:15 am »

Send it in a PM if you like  :wave

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #198 on: September 26, 2012, 10:53:59 am »
Isnt it?

Jones, Wisdom, Carragher, Wilson, Robinson, Sahin, Henderson, Assaidi, Downing, Yesil, Pacheco.
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: September 26, 2012, 11:02:31 am »
Isnt it?

Jones, Wisdom, Carragher, Wilson, Robinson, Sahin, Henderson, Assaidi, Downing, Yesil, Pacheco.

hopefully Pacheco off Yesil, be nice to see him played in his prefered role