Author Topic: Cheltenham 2024 - The 17th Annual RAWK Cheltenham Tipster Competition  (Read 6090 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's just under a week until the 2024 Festival kicks off on Tuesday 12th March, it's time to get this year's tipping competition rolling again.  The previous 16 editions have all been really good fun, always competitive with a healthy turnout each day.

Although last year's competition went to the final race on Friday, Aedge659 (AKA 'The Edge') deservedly won it in style.  This was Edge's 1st Cheltenham victory and he will defend it with his tipping life this year I'm sure.  Or can one of the long-time perennial challengers grab their first major?  'BoRed' or 'Goalrushatgoodison' spring to mind as a couple of the sound tippers not to win one of these things.

Anyway...On to the rules...

The scoring for the game is quite straightforward and the same as the other competitions (The Aintree comp is very slightly different).

Pick one horse per race on each of the 4 Race days. Points are accumulated as follows depending on where your selection is placed.

Winner - 15 points
Second - 10 points
Third - 7 points
Fourth - 4 points

Points are only awarded for places conforming to the bookie's industry standard (e.g. 2 places for races with less than 8 runners, 3 places for 8 or more runner races and 4 places for 16+ runner HANDICAP races). I appreciate some bookies pay out on 5,6,7 or even 8 places on certain races but these are purely promotions on behalf of the individual bookies and will NOT apply to this competition.

To avoid any confusion over the above, points will be awarded for the places specified on the results page of the Sporting Life Website  https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results

Bonus points are available as follows.  Please note, that there are now even more bonus points for winners and placed horses at 100/1 and over.

Winner 100/1 and over = 30 Bonus Points
Winner 33/1 and over = 20 bonus points
Winner 16/1 and over =  15 bonus points
Winner 8/1 and over = 5 bonus points

Placed horses 100/1 and over - 15 Bonus Points
Placed horses 33/1 and over - 10 Bonus points
Placed horses between 16/1 and 33/1 - 5 Bonus points

NOTE: A horse cannot gain both win and place bonus points in any one race.

On each day of racing, you must also pick ONE NAP horse. If your NAP selection WINS, then you receive DOUBLE points.  The double point bonus may encourage people to try and NAP a more risky selection at longer odds and therefore gain more points.  It also gives people further down the leaderboard a chance to move up with a bit more of a risk/reward tactic.

So to clarify the scoring and NAP bonus - if you picked a 10/1 winner you will get 20 points as standard (15 + 5).  If you made this your NAP of the day you would receive double and get 40 points.  Napping a 33/1 winner would get you 70 Points (15 + 20 x 2). Napping an odds-on favourite would gather no odds bonus and get you the standard 15 points for a winner then doubled. (15 x 2 = 30). And so on.

I will provide a daily points tally and overall leaderboard each evening in this thread and will also update the tables on this OP.

Important info:

Entries are to be posted in this thread BEFORE the first race each day. (you can also post the night before if you wish).

Any Non-Runners in your selections will be replaced by the SP Favourite.  In the event of Jt Favs, you will be allocated the first one alphabetically.

If you don't think you've got the time to make any proper selections on one of the days at least try and post something along the lines of "Fav every race".

NEW TO THE CHELTENHAM COMPETITON - If for any day's racing you feel you won't have time to post your full selections then simply post the words "auto pick"  and I will use a random generator to select a horse for each race that day and a random NAP.  I will then post the selections for the player in this thread before the first race starts.

**Anyone with edits on their original post AFTER the start of the FIRST race each day, will void ALL their selections for that day!!! No exceptions**

Any player who neglects to post entries for any 2 of the 4 festival days will be removed completely from the competition.  NO EXCEPTIONS. This rule allows players to miss posting selections for any one day and also allows new players to join the competition a day late (Wednesday).

Please feel free to post/edit your selections right up to the time of the first race each day or maybe even post your whole week's selections in one go. (reminder: NRs will always be replaced by SP Fav)

Again, if you're pressed for time to get your entry in, I'll even accept an entry posted in the thread consisting of random numbers eg: 8,5,11,9,3,2, or maybe even 'number 2 every race'.  If any of these number selections don't figure in the race you will still get the SP favorite and a chance to score points.

Late selections will be accepted on any day but obviously, only the selections for the races that remain at the time of posting will score points.

***In the event of the leaders being tied for the lead after the final race on Friday.  The overall winner will be determined by the number of winners picked, if still tied then it will go to 2nd places, then 3rd places, and so on until we have a winner.  If the players cannot be split we will have a playoff on the earliest UK meeting on the Monday immediately following the festival***

Any questions about the point scoring or selections please feel free to ask in this thread or drop me a PM.

No prizes I'm afraid - just the glory of being crowned 'RAWK Champion Cheltenham Tipster 2024' and getting their name inscribed on the magnificent 'virtual' trophy (as seen below)

Hall of Fame

« Last Edit: March 6, 2024, 03:12:29 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline aedge659

• Legacy Fan
  • Through wind and rain..
I'll be back to try and defend my title for sure Pete. Always good fun.

Making my first trip down to Cheltenham this year for Gold Cup day, cannot wait.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

On each day of racing, you must also pick ONE NAP horse. If your NAP selection WINS, then you receive DOUBLE points.  The double point bonus may encourage people to try and NAP a more risky selection at longer odds and therefore gain more points.  It also gives people further down the leaderboard a chance to move up with a bit more of a risk/reward tactic.

So to clarify the scoring and NAP bonus - if you picked a 10/1 winner you will get 20 points as standard (15 + 5).  If you made this your NAP of the day you would receive double and get 40 points.  Napping a 33/1 winner would get you 70 Points (15 + 20 x 2). Napping an odds-on favourite would gather no odds bonus and get you the standard 15 points for a winner then doubled. (15 x 2 = 30). And so on.

Hall of Fame

Count me in please Pete, maybe my memory's going  :)
In the past the 15 point for a winner wasn't doubled if selection started odds on. so if you picked a 1/2 Winner as your NAP the 15 pts for a winner wasn't doubled to 30 pts.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Allez !
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

In the past the 15 point for a winner wasn't doubled if selection started odds on. so if you picked a 1/2 Winner as your NAP the 15 pts for a winner wasn't doubled to 30 pts.

The points from your NAP horse are always doubled if it wins, regardless of what price mate.

Any NAPPED winner below 8/1 will score 30 points.  As in your example.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The points from your NAP horse are always doubled if it wins, regardless of what price mate.

Any NAPPED winner below 8/1 will score 30 points.  As in your example.
Thanks Pete.  roll on Cheltenham.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
Hi All  :wave
Revving me  Cheltenham engine as we speak!
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
My aim is to get tips in every day

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Does anybody else spring out of bed on the first day ?   ;D
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Does anybody else spring out of bed on the first day ?   ;D
Oh Yes, like Christmas Day as a kid. Although as I’ve mentioned in the horse racing thread I’m really not feeling it this year, not sure why
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cheltenham 2024 - The 17th Annual RAWK Cheltenham Tipster Competition
« Reply #10 on: March 7, 2024, 01:10:15 pm »
Can't wait.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 7, 2024, 03:28:23 pm »
Oh Yes, like Christmas Day as a kid. Although as I’ve mentioned in the horse racing thread I’m really not feeling it this year, not sure why
In the past I would have quiet a few anti posts bets on going into Cheltenham and Aintree, cut them right down now, backing ew first 3 or 4 anti posts then seeing ew first 5-7 on the day pissed me off so try to resist those EW bets now and place bets on the day. that takes the shine off it a bit.
               Emily Maitlis

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 7, 2024, 03:42:44 pm »
In the past I would have quiet a few anti posts bets on going into Cheltenham and Aintree, cut them right down now, backing ew first 3 or 4 anti posts then seeing ew first 5-7 on the day pissed me off so try to resist those EW bets now and place bets on the day. that takes the shine off it a bit.
Absolutely right. Never get involved in the handicap races until the day now due to the number of places on offer as you say. The other thing is Mullins makes ante post almost impossible. Just don’t know where his horses will run. Also don’t think bookies are anywhere near as generous with the odds these days. One decent run and a horse can be a short price Fav.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 7, 2024, 03:58:52 pm »
Absolutely right. Never get involved in the handicap races until the day now due to the number of places on offer as you say. The other thing is Mullins makes ante post almost impossible. Just don’t know where his horses will run. Also don’t think bookies are anywhere near as generous with the odds these days. One decent run and a horse can be a short price Fav.
I was asked what I fancy for the National a few days ago, not for a tip or anything, just conversation, theres about 4 or 5 ive had a glance at but stop myself from picking a bet out as I can't be taking ew first 4 now knowing I can get ew first 7 or 8 on the day.
Yeah. that's another thing, prices aren't value especially in the last 2 weeks or so, most of the runners in the National will be a bigger price SP than their anti post price in the previous 2 weeks. obviously 1 or 2 prices crash on the day so were talking in general here.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #14 on: March 7, 2024, 04:09:52 pm »
Giddy up!
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 9, 2024, 08:23:25 pm »
Well done Pete I’m in , going on Thursday got a corporate invite
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 9, 2024, 09:12:35 pm »
Well done Pete I’m in , going on Thursday got a corporate invite

Nice one Stevie.  I'm in-between contracts at the mo, so dare not blow my lot at Cheltenham

Had a couple of interviews and waiting on some good news.  If things go my way, I'm gonna join the lads there on Friday :)

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2024, 10:35:27 am »
Final Decs for Tuesday just come out. Gaelic Warrior confirmed in the Arkle

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2024, 11:55:56 am »
I’ll come out of RAWK hibernation just to have a go. Cheers Pete

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2024, 03:19:27 pm »
Nice to hear from you Gerry

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2024, 06:12:05 pm »
Lovely stuff, look forward to it. Cheers for running it again Pete.
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline CraigR2323

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2024, 10:47:56 pm »
I'm up for some lower table mediocrity!!!!

Offline Andy2508

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2024, 11:31:32 pm »
I’m in, ready to go!

Offline Salger

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2024, 06:02:59 am »
Count me in!
Wir Glauben
2016 Cheltenham Tipster Competition Winner
2022 Aintree Tipster Competition Winner

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2024, 06:05:16 am »
Nice to hear from you Gerry

Cheers Duvva, hope you’re doing well mate.

Offline mentalgellar

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2024, 09:41:36 am »
I'm in!

Offline mickitez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2024, 12:13:37 pm »
count me in

Offline Red Star

• Kopite
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2024, 12:26:47 pm »
Here are my ‘ones to avoid’!

1.30 Slade Steel
2.10 Gaelic Warrior
2.50 Chianti Classico
3.30 State Man (nap)
4.10 Lossiemouth
4.50 Batman Girac
5.30 Corbetts Cross

Thanks for running this again, Pete

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2024, 01:36:41 pm »
I’ll come out of RAWK hibernation just to have a go. Cheers Pete

Nice one Gerry. Get yourself back in the Golf Fantasy too mate.  I'm not content with 5 others finishing above me every season. I want it to be 6 again. :)

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2024, 02:01:07 pm »
Another shot at midtable mediocrity....fair play as always running it Pete :wave

1.30 Mystical Power
2.10 Gaelic warrior
2.50 Weveallbeencaught
3.30 State Man (nap)
4.10 Lossiemouth
4.50 Lark in the morning
5.30 embassy gardens
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 09:30:27 am by bryanod »
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2024, 02:18:22 pm »
Ins in.

Thanks as always Pete, always look forward to this.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Luke 17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2024, 02:58:05 pm »
1.30 Firefox
2.10 JPR One
2.50 Twig
3.30 State Man (nap)
4.10 Echoes In Rain
4.50 Eagle Fang
5.30 Kilbeg King

Thanks for running again pete. Good luck everyone :)

Offline mickitez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2024, 04:53:35 pm »
Day 1

1.30 Mistergif
2.10 Hunters Yarn
2.50 The Goffer
3.30 State Man (Nap)
4.10 Lossiemouth
4.50 Batman Girac
5.30 Kilbeg King

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2024, 05:38:02 pm »
Tullyhill
Gaelic Warrior
Monbeg Genius
State Man NAP
Lossiemouth
Milan Tino
Apple Away
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2024, 06:34:51 pm »
My Certs for Tuesday, Good luck all. Thanks for running this again Pete.
Changed last selection Pete, assume thats ok?
1.30pm Slade Street
2.10pm  Gaelic Warrior
2.50pm Trelawne
3.30pm State Man NAP
4.10pm Lossiemouth
4.50pm Liara
5.30pm Embassy Gardens
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 12:42:28 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline ACLE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2024, 06:50:03 pm »
Thanks for sorting this out again Pete. Will get my selections in later. Good luck everyone and please remember, when the fun stops, raise the stakes! YNWA
It's not where you've been, it's where we're going.

JUSTICE DELAYED IS JUSTICE DENIED but Justice is getting closer every day.

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2024, 06:51:41 pm »
I'm in!!!!

1.30 Slade Steel
2.10 Il Etait Temps
2.50 Trelawne
3.30 State Man
4.10 Lossiemouth
4.50 Ndaawi
5.30 Salvador Ziggy( Nap)

Offline Xabisfeet

• Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2024, 07:01:30 pm »
Many thanks as ever Pete!

1.30 Tullyhill
2.10 JPR One
2.50 Trelawne
3.30 State Man (NAP)
4.10 Ashroe Diamond
4.50 Latin Verse
5.30 Embassy Gardens

Offline mentalgellar

• Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2024, 07:02:26 pm »
1.30 - Jeriko Du Reponet
2.10 - Quilixios
2.50 - Trelawne
3.30 - State Man
4.10 - Lossiemouth (NAP)
4.50 - Liari
5:30 - Corbetts Cross

Offline ACLE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2024, 07:52:04 pm »
1.30 Jeriko Du Reponet
2.10 My Mate Mozzie
2.50 Weveallbeencaught
3.30 State Man
4.10 Lossiemouth (NAP)
4.50 Latin Verse
5.30 Salvador Ziggy.
It's not where you've been, it's where we're going.

JUSTICE DELAYED IS JUSTICE DENIED but Justice is getting closer every day.