21 (6.5%)
Labour
70 (21.8%)
GP
11 (3.4%)
Ind/Others
77 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 321

Author Topic: The Irish Politics Thread.  (Read 461134 times)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Irish Politics Thread.
« Reply #5080 on: January 3, 2020, 07:01:27 pm »
You mean, the Irish version of Irishman Terry Wogan. ???

Or, was Wogan not a 'proper Irishman'? :-\

Edit: Yeah, I was a bit slow there.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5081 on: January 3, 2020, 07:03:56 pm »
https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1213145856981000193?s=19

I honestly thought this was a parody account when I first read it.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5082 on: January 3, 2020, 07:53:43 pm »

:) Well, perhaps if I came from Ireland I would have understood it immediately. But at least I got there in the end.

I never gave Terry Wogan much of thought beyond not being very keen. Then, when I watched The European Song Contest presented by Graham Norton, I realised just how perfectly Wogan balanced irreverence for the whole thing against warmth in his presentation of the show and towards individual acts. He was more talented than my younger self gave him credit.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5083 on: January 5, 2020, 02:37:21 pm »
I see the Black & Tans trending on Irish twitter. People freaking out over this RIC commemoration, like it's honouring the B&Ts or something.
We'll never move on in this country will we? I seem to remember the queen bowing in front of the monument at the Garden of Remembrance in Dublin some years back. If she can do that, surely we can acknowledge the fact there were Irish people who served in the RIC?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ric-and-dmp-policemen-to-be-commemorated-for-first-time-by-state-1.4128214

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5084 on: January 7, 2020, 07:20:30 am »
The two are hardly comparable. One is a group who fought for Irish independence, the other assisted and worked alongside the crown forces in the brutalisation and murder of Irish people, who sought be free from the tyrannical and oppressive British rule. "Move on". We've moved on considerably but I draw that line at commeroraring the RIC.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5085 on: January 7, 2020, 07:25:00 pm »
The two are hardly comparable. One is a group who fought for Irish independence, the other assisted and worked alongside the crown forces in the brutalisation and murder of Irish people, who sought be free from the tyrannical and oppressive British rule. "Move on". We've moved on considerably but I draw that line at commeroraring the RIC.
I'm not comparing them. I'm saying the queen acknowledged the people who fought against her country's rule.  People who Britain saw as murderers and terrorists. I always thought that was quite a significant gesture. We often seem incapable of making these kinds of gestures, even to our own people.

It's complicated obviously, but it's being painted in these black and white terms with no room for nuance, by all the mob on social media trying to out-1916 each other. It's obviously a foolish idea by Fine Gael and even their own councillors are giving them deserved stick for it. But it's the reaction by some that's been over the top. And to be fair, in the debate it's caused I've came across some interesting historical info and learned a few things. We have a complex and interesting history that we should just acknowledge, and stop using it to score points against each other.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5086 on: January 7, 2020, 07:33:14 pm »
I'm not comparing them. I'm saying the queen acknowledged the people who fought against her country's rule.  People who Britain saw as murderers and terrorists. I always thought that was quite a significant gesture. We often seem incapable of making these kinds of gestures, even to our own people.

It's complicated obviously, but it's being painted in these black and white terms with no room for nuance, by all the mob on social media trying to out-1916 each other. It's obviously a foolish idea by Fine Gael and even their own councillors are giving them deserved stick for it. But it's the reaction by some that's been over the top. And to be fair, in the debate it's caused I've came across some interesting historical info and learned a few things. We have a complex and interesting history that we should just acknowledge, and stop using it to score points against each other.
Has the queen done it in the north?

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5087 on: January 7, 2020, 08:41:01 pm »
Leo is getting absolutely hammered on Twitter

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5088 on: January 7, 2020, 09:02:44 pm »
So is Charlie Flanagan the fucking gombeen. I had forgotten Flanagan objected to Sinn Fein members wearing an Easter Lily in the Dail as it's "divisive" yet has no issues wearing a poppy himself. Gobshite.

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #5090 on: January 11, 2020, 01:46:36 am »
If they are truly that aghast at the RIC commemoration then surely in their partition celebration next year they'll commemorate the IRB/A? Yeah didn't think so...

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5091 on: January 12, 2020, 03:49:50 pm »
Has the queen done it in the north?
Done what?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5092 on: January 13, 2020, 05:42:53 pm »
Done what?
Put a commemorative wreath down for the IRA and the '16 Rising?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5094 on: January 13, 2020, 08:37:11 pm »
Pettiness of Johnson and smith, both offering kisses on the cheeks to Foster but a curt handshake to O’Neill.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #5095 on: January 14, 2020, 02:19:08 pm »
Election on Feb 8th!!

Going to go out on a limb and predict no party or coalition will get a majority.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #5096 on: January 14, 2020, 02:21:18 pm »
unusual its a saturday
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #5097 on: January 15, 2020, 03:35:38 pm »
Hopefully my constituency fucks Shane Ross out, at last.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5098 on: January 15, 2020, 04:01:12 pm »
We enter that period of three weeks where a politician might work a wee bit so he can sit on his fat ass again for another term. Just looking at the sloths posters that shot up overnight you can see they are well fed and barely worked. I hope they can claim for their expenses that are incurred when they come a knocking but these days I might see one of them on my doorstep as last time around 95% of them just put posters up, post out flyers and thats it...please give me your #1. Useless shower of fat cats.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5099 on: January 16, 2020, 09:46:09 pm »

Yep, its mine too. One of his goons knocked into the house about an hour ago. Had just put my son down. I was purposely curt given the circumstances and who she  was campaigning on behalf of. Never in my life would I vote for FG, least of all the current incumbents.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5100 on: January 16, 2020, 09:50:06 pm »
Yep, its mine too.
Pair of posh boys, just as I suspected  ;)

Ross isn't technically a Fine Gaeler. He just looks, sounds and behaves exactly like one.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5101 on: January 16, 2020, 09:54:24 pm »
Pair of posh boys, just as I suspected  ;)

Ross isn't technically a Fine Gaeler. He just looks, sounds and behaves exactly like one.

Well he's former FG, that's enough for me! :)

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5102 on: January 16, 2020, 10:06:40 pm »
I must add though that I have a huge amount of respect for Coveney. He genuinely cares about the Irish in the North.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5103 on: January 17, 2020, 11:59:03 am »
Sinn Féin councillor Paddy Holohan has said that his recent comments about Leo Varadkar were "misinterpreted."

The MMA fighter-turned-local politician had been criticised for recent comments he made about the Taoiseach when discussing Varadkar's credentials as leader of the government.

Speaking on an episode of his No Shame podcast, Holohan said: "We need people running the country — and not against Leo — but to me, I want a family man running the country.

"Someone that knows what it’s like to have kids, maybe hopefully boys and girls, so when you’re creating the policies and stuff that’s going to go on, that you’re like right, it makes sense."

In a previous episode featuring director Terry McMahon, Holohan also made remarks about Varadkar's Indian heritage, saying: "He’s so separated not even from society now but he’s so separated from the history of this country.

"Leo Varadkar’s blood ­obviously runs to India. His great-grandfather is not part of the history of this ­country. Now Leo obviously is. He’s an Irish ­citizen but his ­passion doesn’t go back to the times when our passion goes back to."

Earlier today, a spokesperson for Sinn Féin told JOE that they wanted Holohan to apologise for these remarks.

"Paddy Holohan has made comments on his podcast that have caused offence, and are quite obviously not the views of Sinn Féin. He should apologise and withdraw these remarks," said the spokesperson.

Holohan has since released the following statement via Twitter.

"Firstly, I would like to apologise as my comments may have offended people as I of course did not intend to do so. My comments have been misinterpreted and not in anyway meant the way they have been portrayed. Thank you to the people that know me and have supported me. And understand that I would never make such remarks," he wrote.

https://www.joe.ie/news/paddy-holohan-leo-varadkar-691075

Nice non-apology - sorry if you were offended.

And then follows up with this:

Sinn Féin was already forced to demand an apology from the South Dublin councillor after he made controversial comments about Leo Varadkar.

Mr Holohan had suggested on an episode of his No Shame podcast that Mr Varadkar's blood ran to India, and that the person elected Taoiseach should be a family man.

In  the same podcast, Mr Holohan also suggested that "loads" of underage girls were having sex with men and then blackmailing them for sums of money up to €10,000.

Mr Holohan was interviewing Terry McMahon, the film-maker when the pair started discussing female only fitness classes. The Sinn Féin councillor, who is also an MMA fighter, suggested that he would be criticised for having male-only classes.

"I would be slated, 'he hates women,' they wouldn't say 'he hates men,'" Mr Holohan said.

Mr McMahon suggested some women who may be afraid or may have been attacked might want female-only classes, because there are some "scum men" out there.

Mr Holohan replied: "Now, saying that, I just want to stop you on that, there is some fucking scum women out there as well. And I just want to say to you, there’s a situation that I heard during the week ...  somebody was underage, the [other]  person didn’t know they were underage, the girl pursued the guy.  Got whatever she needed, had pictures, had videos, and then said “I want ten grand.”"

"And that was, that wasn’t the first person, there was loads of them. What is that kind of situation is that that’s going on in society now? I have two sons. It petrifies me, petrifies me that somebody could turn around and say I’m literally just going to say that you attacked me if you don’t give me ten grand. And people go, ‘no, that doesn’t happen.’ It absolutely, I put my hand on my heart and tell you it does happen. And it is happening out there. So, what happens there?"

The pair went on to discuss the ethics of always believing victims of sexual violence. Mr Holohan suggested that men suffered from double standards, and said a woman could joke about chopping a man's dick off, but a man can't joke about his "bitch" getting into bed, and her annoying him so much that he "strangled her and boxed the head off her."

A spokesperson for Sinn Féin said: "These are not appropriate comments to make and are not the views of Sinn Féin."

Mr Holohan had not yet responded to JOE at the time of publication.

https://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/sinn-fein-distances-paddy-holohan-councillor-suggested-underage-girls-making-false-rape-claims-blackmailing-men-691115

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5104 on: January 17, 2020, 01:58:20 pm »
No Shame does sound like an accurately titled podcast.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #5105 on: January 28, 2020, 12:29:24 am »
Have to say I was pleasantly surprised by Richard Boyd-Barrett tonight and thought Mary Lou performed well also.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #5106 on: January 28, 2020, 10:42:26 am »
Yep, its mine too. One of his goons knocked into the house about an hour ago. Had just put my son down. I was purposely curt given the circumstances and who she  was campaigning on behalf of. Never in my life would I vote for FG, least of all the current incumbents.
you reminded me of an incident years back
a FF candidates cronies called into a mate

he said his kid who was about 9 months at the time had a meltdown, he took about 2 hours to get asleep. 5 mins later they rang the door bell and woke him

he went through them for  a shortcut and told them where to go
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5107 on: February 4, 2020, 06:26:56 pm »
So who are people voting for? I'm a bit torn to be honest. I'd normally vote Labour but it feels like a waste of a vote. I still have many issues with SF, FF and FG.

I expect I still will vote Labour, but not sure about second prefs. Greens maybe.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5108 on: February 4, 2020, 11:26:25 pm »
Looks like Leo's recent antics have come back to slap him in the face.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5109 on: February 5, 2020, 03:14:36 pm »
Looks like Leo's recent antics have come back to slap him in the face.
It's things like housing, health and a desire to break the two party system that are doing FG in.
Plus the fact that young people are less concerned about SF's problematic past,

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5110 on: February 5, 2020, 03:29:19 pm »
It's things like housing, health and a desire to break the two party system that are doing FG in.
Plus the fact that young people are less concerned about SF's problematic past,
Yeah, absolutely. The RIC thing more or less finished him off, though.

Offline The Last Known Survivor

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5111 on: February 6, 2020, 09:17:13 pm »
Anyone listen to any good Irish politics podcasts?

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5112 on: February 7, 2020, 10:29:30 pm »

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #5113 on: February 8, 2020, 06:05:20 am »
The second captains did a good one recently Re: the RIC thing, it's usually behind a paywall but that one was free to all
YNWA

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #5114 on: February 8, 2020, 11:25:38 am »
Out and voted. Fuck Shane Ross.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5115 on: February 8, 2020, 11:43:21 am »
Vote early. Vote often.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5116 on: February 8, 2020, 01:32:07 pm »
Vote early. Vote often.
Will ya vote for me cos I'm in America and for some unknown reason Ireland is one of the few European countries that doesn't allow postal voting.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #5117 on: February 8, 2020, 01:35:13 pm »
Just back from the polling booth, worried about turnout the weather is absolutely brutal.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5118 on: February 8, 2020, 02:07:49 pm »
Haven't really been keeping up with the campaign but the polls look so depressing.

I guess one good thing to come out of this will be that surely the main parties cannot continue to refuse to govern together?

Online SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #5119 on: February 8, 2020, 02:22:12 pm »
Just back from the polling booth, worried about turnout the weather is absolutely brutal.
Where you based at? Im working in sligo today and the rain is brutal
YNWA