Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3307240 times)

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #19120 on: October 11, 2018, 02:38:00 pm »
I think this is the nail on the head.

While it'd be great if he bossed games against Europe's top sides, the reality is that those games are so tactically precise and exhausting that expressing yourself is so tough. It's quit easy to look 'off the pace' just by not being totally at it.

This is more than a TAW issue and it's more than a Keita issue - the past 7 games have been incredibly tough but you'd think we'd played the blind school every week the way some tantrums are erupting (I am not suggesting TAW are having a tantrum).

I'm pretty sure that by the start of December, Keita will have Match of the Day doing analysis of his contributions in some 'easier' games. Fodder is on its way.

Listening to the Review I don't think the contributors were getting on Keita's back. They provided a number of mitigating circumstances around his performances. The integration period into a new system and the extremely hard run of fixtures being 2 of the main ones.

Whilst it's completely reasonable to suggest there are mitigating circumstances around his current performances, it's also reasonable to suggest they've been pretty anonymous in certain games too. I get the impression that a lot of supporters are desperate to annoint Keita as the saviour of our midfield. I thought the reaction to his 1st few positive performances were over the top in some quarters. Likewise I think any negativity to his last few performances is over the top too.

I think they got the balance on The Review about right. Keita has shown flashes games but struggled a lot against City. Both positionally and to influence the game in any meaningful way. The next run of games gives him some breathing space to play against weaker opposition, where hopefully his undoubted quality will shine through. He needs to be given time to settle but the next few games are a massive opportunity, particularly with Milner out injured.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19121 on: October 11, 2018, 03:04:06 pm »
Don't think anyone got it right on The Greatest Front Three.

Graves' shout of wanting at least 65 goals then picking Mane, Sturridge and Sterling was particularly wild.

I don't think the format works personally. It's pub chat at best (which is fine) but I think for it to work at any level. Rob would need to act like Neil on Ban this Filth.

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #19122 on: October 12, 2018, 04:21:43 pm »
Desert Island Goals with Carra out today, really enjoyed putting this one together

https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/1050722146861928455
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19123 on: October 12, 2018, 04:33:58 pm »
Desert Island Goals with Carra out today, really enjoyed putting this one together

Excited about this

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19124 on: October 12, 2018, 04:58:17 pm »

Very interesting listen!
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19125 on: October 12, 2018, 07:08:10 pm »

Can't wait to give that a listen, guaranteed to be good

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19126 on: October 13, 2018, 09:22:34 am »

Brilliant - loved it. Funny little stories (“On his arse!”) and a genuinely insightful listen.

---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Online Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #19127 on: October 18, 2018, 01:58:07 pm »
Hmm, my Pocket cast app on iOS doesn't appear to have picked up anything new for a couple of days.

Offline penwhen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #19128 on: October 18, 2018, 02:11:49 pm »
I don't think the format works personally. It's pub chat at best (which is fine) but I think for it to work at any level. Rob would need to act like Neil on Ban this Filth.

I found The Greatest very frustrating to listen to, mainly because of what I perceived to be a lack of preparation by the participants. None seemed to know who they were going to pick before entering the room. I think it would be a more interesting and better listen if they each had their choices and were defending them from the start. I know its a tough choice, but that's the point. I couldn't get through the entire episode.

Offline cheshiremike

• Podcast/Youtube Addict. Sworn enema of CheshireDave
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #19129 on: October 18, 2018, 02:18:44 pm »
Used to enjoy TAW but recently it has gone to shit IMO.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #19130 on: October 18, 2018, 02:21:14 pm »

How so?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline cheshiremike

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19131 on: October 18, 2018, 03:54:01 pm »
How so?

Just a bit of the same old same old.

Just simply don't enjoy it at all anymore

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19132 on: October 18, 2018, 05:20:53 pm »
Still reeling from that chat about Keita on the review after city, absolutely floored me that.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #19133 on: October 18, 2018, 11:41:11 pm »
The Keegan interview is really brilliant, what a great talker he is.  And so much detail he can remember as well, he’s fantastic to listen to.

Offline Carrafan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19134 on: October 19, 2018, 01:36:54 am »
Loved the Keegan interview. Great stuff!

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19135 on: October 19, 2018, 06:15:43 am »

Genuinely interested in this opinion. Do you think it’s changed dramatically or have you just grown bored of it?

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19136 on: October 19, 2018, 11:35:16 am »
The weekender is a great show, really interesting and heartbreaking to hear about the suicide crisis in the United kingdom, I think it's great that TAW are trying to do a something to help in the city.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19137 on: October 19, 2018, 12:10:11 pm »
You didn't ask me, but I'll give you my take as a long-term subscriber who recently let their subscription lapse.

*snip*

I'd agree with a lot of this.  I've let my sub lapse on a couple of occasions in the past, before renewing again for the handful of shows that I always enjoy, like AFQ and The Pink, but recently I'm getting the itch to cancel again as the overall homogeneity has increased.

More and more shows seem to contain a variant of, "as I've said loads of times before on other shows" or "as we were talking about on Talking Reds" - which does make you think they should tighten things up and stop trying to make quite so much content.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline MDougal

• Kemlynite
« Reply #19138 on: October 19, 2018, 12:29:21 pm »
For what it’s worth and I’m sure it’s not much my two cents on the idea or debate of the wrap losing something etc etc
I think what is key to remember is that the amount of shows has been driven (at least I am assuming) by demand from the consumer ie. me and anyone else paying. Therefore though the argument of less shows equals more quality is being made I don’t think this would stack up with the listener as once you have heard the one or two shows you are left wanting more wondering why you bother paying while not listening?

As for quality of show or potentially not liking a contributor I think that’s perfectly fine for anyone to have an opinion but again I do think what should be remembered here is that (not all) the contributors aren’t full time journalists nor are they ex players or coaches they are a gang of lads talking about the game.
Now people would argue I guess we’ll if I’m paying I want better etc etc but in my view the payment is for the production of these shows be it wages or studios or whatever else and also the fiver a month then gives me an opportunity to listen to genuine ex footy players talking about the game with the lads and ladies in the wrap which I wouldn’t normally get to hear.

I think in summary what I’m trying to say is it’s fine to not like things about it etc but I think all in all we should all remember what this actually is a fan podcast set up by fans run by fans with the ability to produce something that we can listen to and enjoy and therefore even though anyone can obviously withdraw their subscription I’m not sure doing so on the basis of the shows aren’t good enough is a air judgement

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19139 on: October 19, 2018, 12:35:12 pm »
I have never been a subscriber although I have been able to listen to some subscriber only shows via a mate's subscription, and I must say some of the interviews have been excellent. However the premise of the podcast was just a few guys discussing the match and events around the club, and it was very good as a free weekly thing. The writing varied from inspired to insipid but then most publications do, however the good far outweighed the bad.
I still listen to the free podcasts when I think on, but the pushy 'Redsbet' advertising grates as does the quality of some of the contributors who frankly have nothing to say that's insightful, new or even vaguely interesting. For me TAW has become an end in itself, more and more shows offering recycled comments and variations on a theme. It will have its devotees, particularly I suspect among those who can't get to Anfield and enjoy a good discussion in the pub before and after the game or who don't have a circle of LFC supporters around them. I expect it will continue to provide celebrity and incomes for some of its founders and repeat contributors, but for me it's an idea in its original form whose time came and went. Good luck though as any LFC themed show promoting the Club deserves to do well
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:37:58 pm by number 168 »

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #19140 on: October 19, 2018, 12:55:33 pm »
I'd echo and ironically parrot comments many on here are saying, it's frustrating when someone makes a point and then someone else will say "yeh I agree with that" and then starts to repeat the same point in a different worded way. That's why I like Nevin, although many don't agree with what he says at least he says something different, he isn't scared to ruffle up a few feathers and he doesn't sing to the hymn sheet.

From a business point of view it's obvious why the lads can't criticise too much as they want access to the players for interviews (which they hide behind a pay wall) I don't agree with that part I think every fan should have the right to listen to their players regardless of income, just because the Times does it does not make it right. I also agree about the sponsorship, to quote Karl Pilkington "what are they flogging now." It's betting sites, beers, some books, bars around the city, restaurants, hotels, some random band's music.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19141 on: October 19, 2018, 01:30:04 pm »
Regular match goer.

Still live within 40 minutes of Liverpool

Loads of red mates.

Loved the wrap from day one, still subscribing. No intention of stopping.

Keep on keeping on lads.

Up the reds

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19142 on: October 19, 2018, 01:35:20 pm »
I'm very much in the less is more camp.
While I can understand that those running it feel as though they need to be seen to be offering value, and so do this by providing volume, as a subscriber I find it difficult to differentiate between the shows.

Overall with the focus on the you tube channel, it feels like actual content is being spread a little too thinly and I've found myself getting a bit bored with some of the podcasts.

I've said before that there's some genuine presenting talent among the lads at the Wrap, but sometimes that talent is spread too thinly and quality suffers. I think the sweet spot is a combination of "lads talking about the game" as well as wider issues around the club, plus some input from quality journalists that can add insight that the lads cannot provide themselves and on top of that, input from ex players that have something interesting to say (again quality control is important here, but something they've got more right than wrong with ex players).

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #19143 on: October 19, 2018, 01:49:01 pm »
Definitely agree with the points about there almost being too much content now. I have noticed I'm listening to less shows lately purely because I don't really feel the need listen to more than one podcast discussing a game.

I mean over the course of Thursdays and Fridays there's basically four different shows all previewing the weekend fixture in one way or another which is far more content than I think is necessary.

Don't think I'd get to the point where I'd be cancelling though, worth paying a fiver a month for the shows I regularly catch such as the Friday show, AFQ and the special episodes they put out.

Offline cheshiremike

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19144 on: October 19, 2018, 01:50:13 pm »
You didn't ask me, but I'll give you my take as a long-term subscriber who recently let their subscription lapse.

I grew frustrated by the consistency of output which correlated with the adding of more and more shows to the roster. I'd have been more than happy paying £5 for less shows and higher quality content. The editorial focus of each show grew less opaque as the months went by, and that lead to a dilution of the specific theme of each show. Pinks became more analytical, Reviews became less so. This isn't to say that it happened all the time, but it was enough for me to notice it and it to grate on me.

Some of the contributors' stances I felt were either desperately poor or rehashed versions of the points other guests made. This made the shows they appeared on unlistenable. I can and will listen to opinions I don't agree on, but the amount of simply poorly conceived opinions or, as mentioned, parroted opinions ended up wearing me down. This may be directly proportional to prep time available for each show, but that then takes us back to the sheer volume of shows and the dillution of the quality.

The introduction of adverts irritated me and I've said that before on here. As a paying customer, I honestly don't believe we should have been subjected to any of the adverts or tie-ins. Most media ventures with concurrent free and paid models incentivise the lack of adverts on their paid platform. I appreciate that everyone's got to earn a crust - no one more than the lads at TAW - but the extra monetisation, I felt, could have been implemented better.

After that, little things started to niggle at me, but they're relatively trivial. what's interesting is that the free show sates my thirst for LFC related podcasting anyway now. It's generally got strong contributors on it and appears just before the match, which is when I want to listen to the lads talk about footy anyway.

Honestly couldn't have put it any better if i tried.

Nail. Head.

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #19145 on: October 19, 2018, 01:50:45 pm »
I'd echo and ironically parrot comments many on here are saying, it's frustrating when someone makes a point and then someone else will say "yeh I agree with that" and then starts to repeat the same point in a different worded way. That's why I like Nevin, although many don't agree with what he says at least he says something different, he isn't scared to ruffle up a few feathers and he doesn't sing to the hymn sheet.

From a business point of view it's obvious why the lads can't criticise too much as they want access to the players for interviews (which they hide behind a pay wall) I don't agree with that part I think every fan should have the right to listen to their players regardless of income, just because the Times does it does not make it right. I also agree about the sponsorship, to quote Karl Pilkington "what are they flogging now." It's betting sites, beers, some books, bars around the city, restaurants, hotels, some random band's music.

That bit in bold simply is not true and doesn't work the way you probably think it does.

The rest, fair enough, whether I agree or not.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 02:09:01 pm by Don Vito Corleone »
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #19146 on: October 19, 2018, 01:57:32 pm »
Definitely agree with the points about there almost being too much content now. I have noticed I'm listening to less shows lately purely because I don't really feel the need listen to more than one podcast discussing a game.

I mean over the course of Thursdays and Fridays there's basically four different shows all previewing the weekend fixture in one way or another which is far more content than I think is necessary.

Don't think I'd get to the point where I'd be cancelling though, worth paying a fiver a month for the shows I regularly catch such as the Friday show, AFQ and the special episodes they put out.

I'm exactly the same. I probably listen to about 50-60% of the content but still feel it's great value for money. And is probably why I don't get the shouts for advertising saturation.

The shows I listen to are mainly driven by the results and performances first and foremost and then the content, maybe the contributors too. If there are people on it who I don't particularly like to listen to then I just skip it - especially if it is a one-off type show with only one contributor who I don't particularly like listening to.

The only thing I really dislike atm is the 'such and such's lad' on AFQ. It was really funny when Neil was throwing them in the odd time, now it's just constant with everyone throwing in unfunny shouts. I am about 2/3 AFQs behind and I think that is why, so I am giving it a bit of a break but it's there to come back to.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19147 on: October 19, 2018, 02:08:14 pm »
Couldn't agree less about how it is currently.

You don't have to listen to all of the shows if they're not for you. I swerve the review usually, gutter isn't always for me etc etc but I still 100% get my money's worth from the Wrap.

The advertising or sponsorship issue is bizarre. They're a business who need to pay lads wages and rent and equipment as well as travel and other related costs. What do you expect them to do? They're an independent fan-based organisation and they should be heralded and praised for producing such good quality content and being able to provide jobs for people and make a (hopefully) comfortable living for themselves. I barely even notice it, it's such a weird gripe.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19148 on: October 19, 2018, 02:10:41 pm »
Not a massive fan of Neil Atkinson. Can't put my finger on why. There is just something about him I don't like.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #19149 on: October 19, 2018, 02:11:40 pm »
The bit on the weekender about Keegan's new book between Neill and Gibbons is the 3rd time I listen to in their free shows. Any reason why they just keep repeating it?
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #19150 on: October 19, 2018, 02:20:47 pm »
Not a massive fan of Neil Atkinson. Can't put my finger on why. There is just something about him I don't like.

You do know they post on here don't you

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19151 on: October 19, 2018, 02:23:16 pm »

Of all the views of late I can’t agree with that one. I think he’s brilliant.

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #19152 on: October 19, 2018, 02:25:05 pm »
The bit on the weekender about Keegan's new book between Neill and Gibbons is the 3rd time I listen to in their free shows. Any reason why they just keep repeating it?

Because they're selling a product and wan't you to subscribe? Some of the comments in here are absolutely farcical. The lads put time, money and effort in to producing something and then a person has the nerve to say they shouldn't expect any remuneration for it. How does that make sense? It started out as a hobby, there was enough interest for some of the lads to give it a go full time and try and make a living out of it. Much prefer listening to them than any of the clueless pundits we're also paying Sky and BT to listen to.

Keep up the good work lads, don't listen to every show but more than happy to pay 5 pounds a month for the content I do enjoy.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19153 on: October 19, 2018, 02:25:37 pm »
You do know they post on here don't you

And?
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19154 on: October 19, 2018, 02:26:02 pm »
Fan media is dead interesting,wonder what the future of it will be, could see it be all being on youtube in two years as that youtube beast evolves and consumes everything and podcasts being dead as dvds. 

Some shows have been a bit off colour this season. However some have been some of the best they have produced.

A pod every day for three years is a huge ask,  maybe just needs a bit of a freshen up on the show concepts or a larger pool of presenter/ contributors.

Like how  the Jonno show was fresh and different.
No time for caution.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19155 on: October 19, 2018, 02:26:18 pm »
Of all the views of late I can’t agree with that one. I think he’s brilliant.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. He's just not my cup of tea.

Offline fintanmar

• Main Stander
« Reply #19156 on: October 19, 2018, 02:30:33 pm »

Wash your mouth out! Neil is brilliant

The Keegan interview with John Gibbons was brilliant.

I also love "that's what I call history" and "make us dream"

Great value

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #19157 on: October 19, 2018, 02:31:08 pm »

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #19158 on: October 19, 2018, 02:35:42 pm »
Subscribed since day 1.

Don't listen to half of it anymore purely because the pink, Monday and review are all exactly the same so (depending on the game itself) I will probably just listen to the pink. If its a big win or a mental loss i'll listen to pink and maybe the review. Always listen to AFQ and the Friday show if I get time. The WWCH shows are great and I love the quizzes/transfer games.

No intention of cancelling, I think they do a really good job although I do kind of understand some of the points mentioned.

Keep it up lads, you're working with mates covering Liverpool Football Club, not far off living the dream in my opinion. Up the Wrap.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19159 on: October 19, 2018, 02:36:43 pm »
THEY'LL GET YOU

Oooooohhhhhh!!!! SCARY!!! ;D