Author Topic: Europa League 2023/24  (Read 49656 times)

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Europa League 2023/24
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2023, 08:46:23 am »
Fuck me, another miserable sod has turned up  :butt We should be going all out for this, it's a great one to win and only one team has won it more than us. Final in Dublin, ticket to the CL, great nights home and away and we get to blood the new players and the younger players and get minutes into legs

Really, we should be looking at Kelleher, Bradley?, Gomez, Matip/New CB, Tsimikas, Fab/Hendo, Elliot, Jones, Doak/Gordon, Jota, Nunez for the 6 group games. Leaving the rest fresh for the league

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2023, 01:09:29 pm »
It's great that there'll be so many teams all able to compete as it means there's more teams likely to take points off our competitors.

How fucking boring is it watching ADFC trampling over every team bar us, week in week out.  Let some others do the heavy lifting, then it's in our hands to win our own games.

There's some right fucking fannies in our fanbase these days, they'd never have survived how competitive the 70s and 80s were.

A good way to approach it, Debs. Too many people just want to bleat and bleat and cry constantly. And don't get me started on the cowardice and defeatism.

Personally I'd prefer to fuck off all the big money from football, not just states and washers but even the wealth we have, the disparity we enjoy compared to many clubs. A more even playing field, similar expenditure by all clubs, with talent alone being the difference, not wealth.

But we can't always have what we want. Football is in the state that it is. Maybe we as clubs and fans can make efforts and try to change and improve things behind the scenes, but in the meantime on the pitch we deal with the situation we find ourselves in and see if we can find a way to come up smelling of roses despite any advantages other clubs have. And we try and win everything.

Instead of giving up
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2023, 02:04:42 pm »
Breath of fresh air to me this, sick to fuck of the bent Prem and the overblown pompous circus of the CL with serial cheats as current holders, I haven't watched a game from either comp for years.

So, along with the domestic Cups, I hope we go all out to win this and have some great times along the way.

I'm actually made up our increased capacity will be focused on the EL next season not the CL, fuck it, I've grown to hate it.

I would love Klopp to lift this and complete the set....bet the players would too, can't understand why fans turn their nose up at this comp, different generation I guess.

Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2023, 02:10:29 pm »
Breath of fresh air to me this, sick to fuck of the bent Prem and the overblown pompous circus of the CL with serial cheats as current holders, I haven't watched a game from either comp for years.

So, along with the domestic Cups, I hope we go all out to win this and have some great times along the way.

I'm actually made up our increased capacity will be focused on the EL next season not the CL, fuck it, I've grown to hate it.

I would love Klopp to lift this and complete the set....bet the players would too, can't understand why fans turn their nose up at this comp, different generation I guess.

because they care too much about what city are doing than their own club

fuck city

who cares?

anther trophy for the club - another european campaign for the fans - what's not to like?
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2023, 02:12:06 pm »
Been debating this in my head for about a couple of weeks. I have come to the conclusion. Ill take winning the Europa league everyday over the Premier League. European royalty > over marketed Prem. Surely cant be the only one thinking this...
Seen us win everything

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2023, 02:14:43 pm »
Been debating this in my head for about a couple of weeks. I have come to the conclusion. Ill take winning the Europa league everyday over the Premier League. European royalty > over marketed Prem. Surely cant be the only one thinking this...
over winning the league? never

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2023, 02:18:01 pm »
over winning the league? never
Something about conquering the continent that just gives it an extra added spice. Plus the super cup which is a marvelous trophy. I can see Klopp going all out for it if we are out of reach of the league.
Seen us win everything

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2023, 02:21:53 pm »

Sorry but thats just silly. The manager has said himself its a poor season because we ended up in the Europa. I understand people building excitement for us being in it but if we are in it again next season then something has gone wrong, again.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2023, 02:26:39 pm »

fuck city

who cares?

anther trophy for the club - another european campaign for the fans - what's not to like?

It baffles me me people waste their time, energy and emotions on what City do, I couldn't name most of their team and not seen that ugly twat score one of his million meaningless goals.

They are cheats, so totally irrevelant in my opinion, off the pitch of course I'm interested in what becomes of them, but on the pitch they will win almost everything, that's what cheats in all walks of life are expected to do, so I'm not arsed that they cleaned up last season because it was boringly predictable.

Just glad the fuckers are not in the EL, give us, a team of class, dignity and history a fair chance of winning it, that's why I want it most.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2023, 02:27:48 pm »

fuck city

who cares?

Because CL is the biggest trophy and we’re the third most successful team in its history, it’s not to do with City our own history has made sure we hold the competition in even higher esteem than everyone else, after all we spent the whole of the mid to late 00’s waving 5 fingers at United fans to denote the amount of times we won the CL, we didn’t put up the three fingers to signify how many times we’ve won the UEFA Cup.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2023, 02:28:19 pm »
Sorry but thats just silly. The manager has said himself its a poor season because we ended up in the Europa. I understand people building excitement for us being in it but if we are in it again next season then something has gone wrong, again.

It’s laughable that opinion.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2023, 02:29:39 pm »
Could be viewed as laughable but football is more than the league title unfortunately.
Seen us win everything

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2023, 02:47:43 pm »
Why not both?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2023, 02:49:17 pm »
Why not both?
Rivals would dub it "the mickey mouse double" hahaha. That would probably be the first time in history a club doing the Europa League and League double.
Seen us win everything

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2023, 02:55:37 pm »
Rivals would dub it "the mickey mouse double" hahaha. That would probably be the first time in history a club doing the Europa League and League double.

Liverpool have done that twice already in the 70s.

Not sure anyone else has done it in England, but Mourinho did it in Portugal in 02/03, and Rafa did it the season after in Spain.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2023, 02:55:49 pm »
Fuck me, another miserable sod has turned up  :butt We should be going all out for this, it's a great one to win and only one team has won it more than us. Final in Dublin, ticket to the CL, great nights home and away and we get to blood the new players and the younger players and get minutes into legs

Really, we should be looking at Kelleher, Bradley?, Gomez, Matip/New CB, Tsimikas, Fab/Hendo, Elliot, Jones, Doak/Gordon, Jota, Nunez for the 6 group games. Leaving the rest fresh for the league

Yeah, this will be an important competition for us this season and I hope the aim is to play to win it. I'm glad we got into it because no European football/Conference League football didn't appeal to me, and while everyone would have preferred CL football this isn't a competition to be laughed at. We should be able to negotiate the group stages with mainly squad players and youngsters but from the knockouts I'd expect to see strong sides regardless of where we're at on the league table. There'll be some strong sides, we'll no doubt be the best of all on paper barring a freak Real Madrid collapse and entrance into the Europa League which would be typical Liverpool  ;D

Quality is all good but I'm hoping there's a massive feeling of just 'wanting' it - because that'll be important against some smaller sides throughout the competition. Sevilla obviously have a great record in this competition and they've built some really good sides, but I wasn't too impressed with the quality of the team that won it a couple of weeks ago, yet they beat some teams who on paper I expected them to knock them out. If we mess around with selections in the knockouts or feel we're above it we'll get shown up, but judging by Klopp's comments I think he'll be looking to take it seriously.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Red46

• Main Stander
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2023, 02:56:32 pm »

We did the league title + UEFA Cup double twice in the 70’s, no mean feat back then

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2023, 02:58:19 pm »
Liverpool have done that twice already in the 70s.

Not sure anyone else has done it in England, but Mourinho did it in Portugal in 02/03, and Rafa did it the season after in Spain.

Just going to say that,  1973 and 1976, Shanks and Bob, what a club for Jurgen to join.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2023, 03:04:15 pm »
No offence mate but you need to know yer history. ;)

Plus whenever we win the UEFA CUP, we win something else as well. And all that aside, this competition has a very special place in this club's history so should never be disdained.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2023, 03:12:19 pm »
Could be viewed as laughable but football is more than the league title unfortunately.
It is but the league title is your bread and butter every season. It’s just fortunate we’re bloody very good in Europe too. I’m 32, the only league title in my lifetime was 2020 which we could barely celebrate. A league title in ‘normal times’ would be the icing on the cake for me.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2023, 10:29:42 am »
It is but the league title is your bread and butter every season. It’s just fortunate we’re bloody very good in Europe too. I’m 32, the only league title in my lifetime was 2020 which we could barely celebrate. A league title in ‘normal times’ would be the icing on the cake for me.

Really feel for your generation and my kids who have been denied the chance to properly celebrate and also had titles stolen from them. Mine are 12 and 14 and should be on 4 titles by now.In my life, we won the league 7 months before I was born, i've seen 12 titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups (semi v Barca 1976 was my first Euro game), 7 FA Cups, 9 League Cups, 4 Super Cups and 1 CWC and I've loved them all.

Winning the Europa this season would be brilliant, Jurgen will have the full set, something no Liverpool manager has ever done and some players such as Mo, Hendo, Trent, Joel and Ali have a chance to achieve what few LFC players have, Clem & Thommo have the League, European Cup, UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League Club set, can't think of anyone else who managed that.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2023, 04:34:28 pm »
Something about conquering the continent that just gives it an extra added spice. Plus the super cup which is a marvelous trophy. I can see Klopp going all out for it if we are out of reach of the league.

Not for me. Conquering Europe is winning the European Cup.

League > European Cup > UEFA Cup > FA Cup >League Cup, although the League and European Cup can change position depending on our likelihood of winning it  :D

That sickens me really. I've been going to every last home game for years now. Missed out in 2014, 2019 and 2022 when we were cheated out of it. Should've been there in 2020  :butt
If we're in with a shout the last game of this season it's unlikely I'll be there due to the change in the credit system unless I get very lucky in the late sales.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2023, 05:16:30 pm »
One thing you missed is that Arsenal, Man Utd and Newcastle will all be competing in the CL next season, which they weren't in 22/23.
If paying attention to the EL is bad for Liverpool, how much worse will the CL be for them?

As Fromola says, in the group stages we shouldn't need to go too strong anyway -  mainly playing younger players and those seniors who need the minutes. It should be far less draining than a CL campaign. And depending on qualification/draw, not necessarily lots of trips to the other side of Europe.

Arsenal last season rested plenty in the group and then weren't too interested in the knockouts because they were top of the PL. If we were in a title race by the EL knockouts then we could be less interested in the EL like Arsenal were. If we aren't in a title race then we may as well just go for it in Europe.

Arsenal were half arsed and United went full strength in every game which caught up with them. There's a balance.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2023, 05:39:43 pm »
Think best chance to get into the CL in 24-25 is by winning the EL, as I am afraid we won't get top four next season either.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2023, 06:00:02 pm »
Think best chance to get into the CL in 24-25 is by winning the EL, as I am afraid we won't get top four next season either.

We misfired all season, had Diaz missing for months and still only finished 4pts off 4th. There is absolutely no reason to believe we won't make top 4 next season.

Also, we're likely to have the top 5 going in in the 24/25 season.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2023, 06:05:18 pm »
If we have a more normal season with injuries we'll cruise into the top 4.

In terms of the Europa League, we should rely heavily on our B side to cover the group stage and then take it from there.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2023, 06:22:01 pm »
If we have a more normal season with injuries we'll cruise into the top 4.

In terms of the Europa League, we should rely heavily on our B side to cover the group stage and then take it from there.

Anything can happen but I think the same really. Let's not forget some more signings on top of AMA should improve us too.

A couple of years ago when we finished 3rd after a rough season there was people doubting we'd get back into the top 4 again next season. Konate was the only signing and he didn't make loads of appearances in the league overall, it was just getting players back which helped us among a couple of other factors like getting fans back in grounds. This time around we obviously need more than the one player but get them and I won't be concerned about how we fare.

Squad players and a few youngsters should be able to take us through the group stage, if there's another decent enough side in there we might have to go a bit stronger but if we best whoever that is over the two games we should win the group quite comfortably you'd hope. If we progress into the knockouts and especially as group winners then from there we should play a side strong enough to win it.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2023, 06:23:57 pm »
Really feel for your generation and my kids who have been denied the chance to properly celebrate and also had titles stolen from them. Mine are 12 and 14 and should be on 4 titles by now.In my life, we won the league 7 months before I was born, i've seen 12 titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups (semi v Barca 1976 was my first Euro game), 7 FA Cups, 9 League Cups, 4 Super Cups and 1 CWC and I've loved them all.

Winning the Europa this season would be brilliant, Jurgen will have the full set, something no Liverpool manager has ever done and some players such as Mo, Hendo, Trent, Joel and Ali have a chance to achieve what few LFC players have, Clem & Thommo have the League, European Cup, UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League Club set, can't think of anyone else who managed that.

Think Steve highway has done it as well

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2023, 08:49:35 pm »

You might have to prepare to be disappointed. There'll be a bit of rotation but based upon Klopp's previous it won't be the B side or the kids playing as people keep saying.

There are folk who still haven't forgiven Kloppo for playing Jota in a CL game which they decided he should sit out, lol

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2023, 10:57:01 pm »
We should do whatever is needed to win this.  Get 100000+ Reds in Dublin.  No slip ups.  Strong start and once in the next round consider game time for squad players.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2023, 11:05:15 pm »
You might have to prepare to be disappointed. There'll be a bit of rotation but based upon Klopp's previous it won't be the B side or the kids playing as people keep saying.

There are folk who still haven't forgiven Kloppo for playing Jota in a CL game which they decided he should sit out, lol
[/b]

Klopp was pretty open about the fact that the £2.5mil on offer for a win in that game influenced his team selection.

I fully expect to see the likes of Tsimikas, Gomez, Matip, Bajcetic, etc, starting the group stage game in the EL. With a fully fit squad you'd also see the likes of Jota and Nunez starting.

Offline False9

• Took the oil money!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #151 on: June 21, 2023, 02:07:02 pm »
People saying they rather win the Europa League than the Premier League... Delusion. We are not in the 90s.
Liverpool wasn't even supposed to be playing Europa League, it is because of the lack of planning.
Premier League is 1000x times more important today than Europa League. Winning it again, especially next season, in what will be the most competitive PL of all time, beating insane quality squads, like City and Arsenal (Who are favourites to win the Champions League), would be the greatest statement this team could give that can still compete against another top level teams.
Europa League doesn't offer this. In general, they don't have top level teams there.
The last final was 12th Sevilla vs 6th Roma. We need to do better than that and focus on bigger things.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2023, 02:07:50 pm »
Who has said they'd rather win the Europa than the league?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: June 21, 2023, 02:10:13 pm »
Who has said they'd rather win the Europa than the league?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2023, 02:14:47 pm »
Thanks, Barney.  Diego is a madman.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: June 21, 2023, 02:45:56 pm »

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2023, 02:52:19 pm »
Thanks, Barney.  Diego is a madman.

I'd imagine he's in a minority of 1.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2023, 07:01:05 pm »
People saying they rather win the Europa League than the Premier League... Delusion. We are not in the 90s.
Liverpool wasn't even supposed to be playing Europa League, it is because of the lack of planning.
Premier League is 1000x times more important today than Europa League. Winning it again, especially next season, in what will be the most competitive PL of all time, beating insane quality squads, like City and Arsenal (Who are favourites to win the Champions League), would be the greatest statement this team could give that can still compete against another top level teams.
Europa League doesn't offer this. In general, they don't have top level teams there.
The last final was 12th Sevilla vs 6th Roma. We need to do better than that and focus on bigger things.

People were saying we've got no chance of the league. If that was the case we may as well just have a go at a competition we can win.

And we'll know in February when the knockouts start (assuming we get out the group) if we've got a chance of the league or not.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2023, 01:00:57 am »
If we find ourselves in the position of going for the league, I guarantee we wouldn't jib off the EL like Arsenal did. For one, we have a bigger more experienced squad (despite what some would tell you) and we know how to handle both (like 2022).

Winning the group will be key, else we end up playing an extra 2 games in Feb which will be a killer considering we won't have Mo in January.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #159 on: July 3, 2023, 11:45:50 am »
As a Birmingham living red, my thoughts have turned to watching our away games in Europe when Villa are planning Handbag FC on a Thursday evening.

Can't stand giving more money to BT or whatever they are re branding to