Author Topic: Vladi Smicer: Now Is The Time To Deliver  (Read 1331 times)

treble2001

Vladi Smicer: Now Is The Time To Deliver
« on: September 8, 2002, 10:39:32 pm »
When Steve McManaman went to Madrid in the Summer of 1999, a winger was desperately needed to fill in the gap left by him.  When GH made his major signings in that same summer, he went back home and bought Vladimir Smicer from RC Lens for £4.2M.

Reports from France seemed to favour Smicer, with his performances for Lens in the 1998-99 season winning him their Player Of The Year award.  His performances in helping the Czech Republic to reach the European Championship final in 1996 where still remembered, with him and Berger seemingly the stars of that team.  There were a number of clubs offering Lens the money for him to move, but he was always going to be a Red.  He said all the right things before the move, especially about how he wanted to play for the club desperately.

Vladi made his debut against Sheffield Wednesday on the opening day of the 1999-2000 season, slotting in effortlessly and was full of running.  Against Watford the following Saturday, Smicer was replaced by Karl Heinz Riedle after picking up an ankle injury.  That week was to prove to be the pattern of his Anfield career, when he started showing signs of promise; injury cut short any kind of run.

Smicer returned to the squad for the game against Manchester United, and came on with the score 3-1 in the Mancunian's favour.  Smicer had a great game when he came on, linking up well with Berger for the second goal.  The signing of Smicer looked an exciting one to say the least, and his return from injury seemed to mean that Vladi was over it and would continue to produce the promise that he had shown in glimpses on his debut.

Smicer was injured for the majority of the season, missing out on the team's push for Champion's League football.  When the 2000-2001 season came around, question marks were surrounding Smicer's place in the side, as GH brought in wingers Nicky Barmby and Bernard Diomede, and central midfielders Gary McAllister and, later on in the season, Igor Biscan.  

Vladi was impressive in pre-season, with a Man Of The Match winning performance in the demolition of Italian giants Parma.  As a result, Vladi started the opening game of the season against Bradford on the opposite flank to new signing Barmby.  After the match, GH commented that Vladi was like 'a new signing'.

He went on to make 49 appearances that year, with a great return of 7 goals in that.  He went through a particular great spell around December, with a great performance in the 5-0 League Cup semi final win over Palace.  Vladimir seemed like he was finally re-paying that £4.2M fee that was paid to Lens.  I remember someone telling me about their French mate, who was a supporter of Lens telling him that Smicer was crap for Lens in his 1st season there, and absolutely brilliant in his second season.  It seemed like that was going to be the case now, with displays against Palace, Man City and West Ham giving Kopites enough reason to have faith in him.  

On the eve of the 2001-2002 season, it was Smicer's time to produce the goods.  John Arne Riise was brought in from Monaco, a player who gave Smicer competition down that left wing.  Added that Riise, the emergence of Danny Murphy on the right wing was another player who was giving Vladi competition.  Just when Smicer was about to start his biggest season in a red shirt, he got injured.  He came on for Stevie Gerrard in the Goodison derby, with the game already won.  He made his first full Liverpool appearance in the Worthington Cup defeat against Grimsby, winning Man Of The Match.  

Throughout the season, Smicer played some outstanding games, including probably his best performance for the Reds against Roma at Anfield.  But, he played bad in just as many games.  It seemed that when the going got tough, Vladi shied away.  But when the team were winning and everything going okay, Vladi was world class.  

It seems that every summer Vladi says that this will be the year when he shows his true form.  This season is no exception.  Now, I have always maintained that Smicer will become a great player for us, but now really is the time for the Czech international to start performing.  He has become an easy target for some fans that claim that he doesn't try enough, but from the moment he heard of Liverpool's interest he wanted to become a Red.  

Smicer was brought in to replace Steve McManaman, who spent a lot of his Liverpool career in the middle.  It is here were Smicer is much better, just behind the forward.  In European competition, Smicer has excelled in this role, with his performances against Kyev, Roma and Leverkusen prime examples.  But, he can play down the wing, as he's shown on many occasions, and that versatility could be vital in getting him a regular place in the Reds team.

This season Vladi made substitute appearances against Southampton and Blackburn and started against Newcastle, and he has looked a different player in my opinion.  He was employed just off the front man against Newcastle, and showed exactly why he has proved to be a major player in the Czech Republic side in that role.  

But for Smicer to get into the first team, he has to finally prove himself as a great player on a regular basis.  The likes of Hamann, Gerrard and Murphy all command first team places in the midfield, because they are so consistent.  Smicer needs to prove that he can do it week in week out to GH.  With Berger very unlikely to be playing, Diomede about as likely to play as Patrice Luzi and Nick Barmby now at Leeds, Smicer has to show that it doesn't matter if we have the likes of Duff or Emerton or not.  He has to compete with Murphy and Riise for a place on the wing, and with our new style attacking football; he will be an important member of the squad for the coming season.

Vladimir Smicer is now at the stage of his Anfield career where it is either make or break.  There's no denying his abilities, never has been.  But another season of inconsistency could prove to be the final straw in his Anfield career.  A season where he shows the kind of form that he did in France and in the Treble season could give him a place in the side, and a chance to prove himself to the fans and the manager who has shown so much faith in him and taken so much stick on Smicer's behalf.

I am confident that Smicer will prove himself; this season he has looked sharp and in much better shape.  The pattern that his Anfield career has taken, where he's injured for one week, brilliant the next and then crap the week after must be broken.  He could be the missing link in our title challenge, giving us the creativity we lacked last season.  Or he could be at a different club next season.  It's up to him, and as I've said I expect him 100% to have a Championship winning medal come May and a series of Man Of The Match champagnes in his possession.

Mark Piercy

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Re:Vladi Smicer: Now Is The Time To Deliver
« Reply #1 on: September 8, 2002, 10:47:43 pm »
Well said young man, i really really hope he proves himself and stays injury free and can help to push us towards title.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 8, 2002, 11:00:43 pm »
added it to TIA Mark, good article (as always ;) )

Offline Ian_Ian_K

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: September 9, 2002, 12:31:17 am »
He's in a bit of a no win situation though, at least in the eyes of some of the fans.
Outstanding against Newcastle, especially in the 1st half, yet looking through the various Red forums after the match, he was still slaughtered by many.
What does he have to do?
Let's hope he is the latest of Ged's boys to prove the doubters wrong, following hard on the heels of Murphy, and Hamann, who I'm embarassed to admit, I would have been glad to see the back of 2 years ago.
He's only one of the best midfielders in the world now, and surprise surprise, I don't know as much about football as Gerard Houllier.
Hopefully, neither do Vlad's critics.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 9, 2002, 01:20:45 am »
I've always felt that when we get the ball in the attacking half, Smicer is good. It's in those games where we sit back and defend that he looks poor. He's an attacking player, not one who should spend most of his time chasing the ball. I don't think this is a coincidence. Apart from Xavier (and Biscan who never plays), all players that people tend to have a go at are attacking players. (Jari wasn't good enough at tackling and didn't track back, Vlad, Berger, Heskey, Diomede have all been there too.)

If we keep playing like we have in the first 4 games, I'm quite sure Vlad will look a different player this season. :)

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #5 on: September 9, 2002, 01:41:01 am »
I haven't got any problems with Vlad.  He's playing quite well of late, and in his time, has scored some vital goals for us.  I really enjoyed his 90th minute winner against Chelsea last season.  Especially, when the commentators thought the game was done and dusted, and Vlad popped up with that stunning volley from Emile's immaculate pass  :)
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 9, 2002, 01:47:03 am »
The Dortmund goal was nice too...

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 9, 2002, 12:11:37 pm »
He has become a scapegoat amongst some fans for anything that goes wrong. People by me at the Newcastle game didnt get off his back all night, until he got substituted. I thought he played well that night, and we certainly would have noticed the difference if he didnt play.

The thing is with Smicer, his lack of consistency frustrates everybody. This season, if he doesnt show consistent form I dont think he will win his place in the side, especially with the way Murphy is playing. If he doesnt produce, he wont be playing. I hope he does produce though, especially after last Monday...more of the same please Vlad

Scall

Vladi Smicer: Now Is The Time To Deliver
« Reply #8 on: September 9, 2002, 01:48:47 pm »
Hope his reported injury ain't too serious, has sustained a toe injury with the worst possibility of it being broken. Hopefully further x-rays and scans will reveal nothing major.  :-[

Offline RLarse

• Kemlynite
  • Where's your ski's?
« Reply #9 on: September 9, 2002, 02:11:44 pm »
aaaargh its a broken toe - again he's injured when he was just starting to show us what he's got (hopefully only a couple of matches though)

Poor Vlad - he injured it when making the first tackle, he wont be doing that again in a hurry :D

Scouse26
aka Scouse26

Online Stevo

• Not unique in his worship of Erik Meijer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 9, 2002, 02:28:03 pm »
I like Vlad, think he can cause a lot of problems for defenders when he runs at them at pace. Never gets any credit, from about march onwards last season he was great. If hes given a run in the side i have no doubts he will perform well

Online Stevo

• Not unique in his worship of Erik Meijer
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 9, 2002, 02:46:10 pm »
Just to link it to the other thread - if Baros doesn't get a chance now, he never will.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline Zach

• In my humble opinion
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 9, 2002, 03:45:07 pm »
Not another injury  :'(

So unlucky, just when he was in a very good form, he breaks his toe :no

Smicer is great when he plays as the second striker, and he thrives when he's close to the opponent's box. Defensively he's not good enough for our midfield and that's why when we sit back and defend, he usually doesn't have a good game. One of our only players (After Barmby and Jari were sold) who can hold and keep the ball well.

Offline RLarse

• Kemlynite
  • Where's your ski's?
« Reply #14 on: September 9, 2002, 03:56:06 pm »
vladi has the best close control at the club in my opinion...
aka Scouse26

Offline Steve C

• Gone... but not forgotten - I hope some day you will join us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 9, 2002, 03:58:07 pm »
vladi has the best close control at the club in my opinion...

Didi.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #16 on: September 9, 2002, 04:16:38 pm »
Vlads puttin in the effort required now, unlike his compatriot

treble2001

« Reply #17 on: September 9, 2002, 09:40:20 pm »
This Is Getting Scary

An Article on Carra: Out for WC(First injury in years)

An article on Murphy: Out for WC (First injury in years)

An article on Smicer: Broken toe(A day later)

Shit!

Offline Jon G

• I'm Jim Rockford, at the tone leave your name and number and I'll get back to ya. PM Jon Hall if you can read this...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 78 stone wobble
    • not mine
« Reply #18 on: September 9, 2002, 10:08:22 pm »
Ginger jinx
NOTHING GREAT HAS EVER BEEN ACHIEVED WITHOUT PASSION - CARRAGHER 23

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2002, 01:10:55 am »
This Is Getting Scary

An Article on Carra: Out for WC(First injury in years)

An article on Murphy: Out for WC (First injury in years)

An article on Smicer: Broken toe(A day later)

Shit!

There's a definite pattern emerging there........unfortunately :(
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2002, 03:16:43 am »
To test this I am going to put a few articles / threads on Beckham, Giggs -- and I will add Wiltord to the list just in case he survived the Player-Of-The-Month jinx. ;D

Poor Vladi -- heard that it is just for 2 weeks so let's keep the fingers crossed.
We won it 6 times

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2002, 11:05:30 am »
TEXT:but:but:but:but