Author Topic: Valencia Away  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Dan_L

• WANTED: For crimes against Carpets & Curtains
  • Legacy Fan
Valencia Away
« on: September 5, 2002, 12:45:21 am »
Use this thread for info on hotels and how much for a pint etc........
I have attached the seating plan for a starters.  :P Anyway, someone on here Rushian, John Mac ? can point out the away end. Also stolen a tourist guide of the valencia offal, how boring.

Valencia Club de Fútbol has the name of a city in which the remains of its remotest past lives with the most innovative ad avant-garde buildings. Valencia is hte name of a cheerful and bright city, a city that spreads the feeling, under its walls and under its flooring, the beating of many centuries of history.

A route through Valencia’s heart may start in its Cathedral , famous Miguelete”, is a symbol for its inhabitants. Next to the Cathedral -a Romanesque temple in transition to Gothic-, we can find the basilica of the Virgen de los Desamparados, patron saint of the city and centre of the affective gravity of the Valencian people. It is exactly in this place where, every year, the staff and board of directors of Valencia Club de Fútbol meet in order to start the new season, and it is also here where the Valencian footballers come to offer the Virgin the titles achieved by the team.

If we exit to the Virgen square, we arrive to the Palau de la Generalitat, a Fifteenth Century-building that was created with the aim to hold the permanent commission of the Kingdom Courts. Towards the East, we find the San Esteban church, where according to the tradition, the Cid married his daughters and San Vicente Ferrer was baptised. A little further, after crossing Paz Street, we find the Colegio del Patriarca, next to it, the 1830 University, and a little further the Palacio del Marqués de Dos Aguas. This is the main sample of the rococo style in Valencia, with its alabaster marble facade carved by Ignacio Vergara.

Going down on San Vicente Street, we arrive to Zaragoza square, from where we can see Santa Catalina Church, with its slim baroque tower. Very close to it there is the place where all the Valencian people celebrate their team’s victories, Plaza del Ayuntamiento, where the Town Council is located.

After crossing the Redonda square, where there is an odd and varied flee market on Sundays, we walk to another of the great monuments of the town: Lonja de la Seda. This Fifteenth Century building has three main parts: the Salón Columnario, which, due to its shape reminds to the palm groves or fireworks typical from the Valencian region, the Torreón and the Consulado. Mercado Central, a modernist building crowned by a parrot, extends all its colours.

Within this artistic and monumental route we cannot miss a visit to Estación del Norte, a modernist building that represents one of the most beautiful examples of railway architecture existing in Spain.

Surrounding the heart of the city we can find two beautiful and important doors: the Torres de Quart (1441) y, and especially the Torres de Serranos (1398), one of the best samples of gothic military architecture in Europe. From there people are convened every year to participate in the Fallas, festivities of tourist and national interest in honour of San José, patron saint of the town, and which are the most famous popular expression of Valencia. Opposite these towers, we can see the gardens in the Turia old riverbed, where we can walk along until the Palau de la Música and further on, until the Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias.

The Turia old riverbed, origin and limits of the town during the Middle Age, is at present a space of pleasure for amusement. On one of its sides and near the Jardines del Real, we can find the Museo de Bellas Artes which together with the IVAM (Valencian Museum of Modern Art), is one of the most visited places in the town.

Valencia has become an outstanding congress centre in Europe and meeting point of importance for those who want to develop their business or take part in trade shows. El Palacio de Congresos in Cortes Valencianas Avenue consolidates this offer and turns the Turia town in the perfect place for commercial activities and cultural exchange. Valencia is, in short, a town that keeps its traditions and customs and at the same time, mixes the most modern infrastructure and services with a wide cultural and leisure offer. Doubtless, it is the big town that corresponds to a big team like the Valencia Club de Fútbol.

Offline Dan_L

• WANTED: For crimes against Carpets & Curtains
  • Legacy Fan
Re:Valencia Away
« Reply #1 on: September 5, 2002, 01:04:17 am »
Been on a Valencia Forum and spotted this. Liverpool fan posted this:

Hello.

I am a Liverpool fan and I am looking forward to playing Valencia in the Champions League.

I think the scores will be:-

Liverpool 2 - 1 Valencia
Valencia 1 - 1 Liverpool
Here are a few of the replies......
dreammmmm..... dreammmmmmm....dreammmmmmmm.......dreammmmmmmm....!!!!

MANCHESTER UNITED FOREVER!!!!
AMUNT VALENCIA !!!
 :'(

Liverpool? Where is Liverpool?
 :-\

Online Stevo

• Not unique in his worship of Erik Meijer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 5, 2002, 12:04:32 pm »
Did anyone go for the UEFA game the other season? Is it true your in a higher seat than at the Nou Camp and that its so steep your stood on each others shoulders?

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 5, 2002, 02:08:24 pm »
I went the UEFA cup game and it was very high and very steep- some of the seats are barred in. One of the sides of the stadium is a lot higher than the others- we were at that side of the pitch. We were at the side towards one end think it was most probably at the section Grada De la mar (on the map), but not certain. You walked up and around the corners to gain entry similar to the Torre's at Madrid & Milan. The view from this spec was similar to that at Barcelona, and if it is not as high, it feels like it is because it is so steep.

Valencia is a good place for the budding young artists amongst us but not too sure about the seasoned piss-heads. There is plenty to see for the tourist in terms of architecture and art but it is not in the same league as Madrid or Barca for bars and nightlife.  

We were kept in for quite a while at the end of the game. Did not encounter any trouble but there were a few skins milling around at the end of the game.

I stayed in Benidorm but those who stayed in Valencia said they had a few problems trying to get a bevvy after the match. The journey back to benidorm was about 90 mins so we arrived back there in plenty of time to go out. I think the vast majority of the reds there had a few days in Benidorm last time, so if you are looking for flights Alicante is a good bet. Accomodation is also cheap in Benidorm- 4 nights, 4 person apartment= £126. In the UEFA cup a few coaches went from Benidorm to the match on the morning of the game and straight back afterwards.
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #4 on: September 5, 2002, 07:26:24 pm »
How would anyone think sitting in the home end would be there? Coz i dont hold much hope of getting tickets of our beloved TO!!

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 5, 2002, 08:19:43 pm »
How the fuck can i spend 'a few nights'etc. I have a job!

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 5, 2002, 08:22:30 pm »

You could become a Cardiff City fan. Then you could combine the two.  ;)
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 5, 2002, 08:28:24 pm »

You could become a Cardiff City fan. Then you could combine the two.  ;)

ho hum!

One nighter at the most for me! (if i go)

::)

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #8 on: September 6, 2002, 11:52:17 am »
    Within this artistic and monumental route we cannot miss a visit to Estación del Norte, a modernist building that represents one of the most beautiful examples of railway architecture existing in Spain.

Thats where i arrive in the city!!

Anyone got any thoughts on hotels - we were plannin on finding one when we got to Valencia the day before the game  :-\

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #9 on: September 6, 2002, 11:58:02 am »
Fancy arriving at a train station.

:P

Again, i've a few places i can post details of but it's only from the rough guide to spain.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: September 6, 2002, 03:36:14 pm »
They've now extended the high section to 3 sides of the ground - bars in front of the seats as jmc says. Very very steep and not recommended if you have vertigo. Capacity has gone up by around 7-8000 too.

The home fans are pretty docile - take a white hankie and you'll fit in. Their more vociferous support seems to be located in two ares numbered 1 and 10 on the map if I remember correctly.

Manolo's bar is directly opposite the stadium and he'll be serving there virtually up to kick off. Food in the stadium is crap so buy a bocadillos outside and take in.

As for nightlife - I'll get a quick guide from my mate Jorge and post it on here.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #11 on: September 6, 2002, 04:37:06 pm »
Cheers for that about the home fans Steve.

Does anyone think trying to get a hotel when we arrive there would be ok?  We arrive about 4ish on the Monday

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Modern football is shit
« Reply #12 on: September 7, 2002, 09:55:24 pm »
Lee B's mum being a travel agent, bless her, has sorted he and I a hotel.

We're staying at the Hotel Serrano (a suitably inspiring name for those of us who like to get the blood pig levels well topped up on overseas jaunts ...)

Tel : 96 334 7800

or find it on the Lunn Poly website, apparently ...