Author Topic: Fun and Emotion  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Fun and Emotion
« on: October 11, 2015, 04:17:54 am »
Fun and emotion. They are the two words that I think have resonated most with me having seen what Jürgen Klopp has to say about football and how he views it. Two words that I totally believe go hand in hand with following footie.

We're yet to even see his football in his first game, let alone what it looks like in 4-5 months down the line. I'm delighted with how he has acted so far though. Excited, buzzing and overjoyed with the appointment. This is a guy we just weren't supposed to have. And he's in the hot seat, our hot seat. So far he's done everything you could have asked of him and more in terms of representing himself and the way he speaks about moving us forwards. I'm so much looking forward to seeing it in action now and the days can't pass fast enough until Spurs away. He'll need some bedding in and we all know that, but fuck me doesn't it get your heart fluttering again? That's what it's all about.

He's right as well. Football is about fun and emotion. They are the two words I think of when I consider why I put myself through it all. Whether it's Flanagan scoring on the volley at White Hart Lane and going delirious or sitting saddened on the Kop at the end of the games on my seat with my head in my hands in a crowd of 100 as most have filtered out after Forlan scored for Atletico Madrid and they stole Rafa's and our Europa League final off us, or seeing us go out to Benfica and Zenit St Petersburg. Dare I mention Gerrard's slip? Sitting there gutted by it all is part of the dance (to steal a Brendan quote), because those moments of emotion make the eventual fun when it happens all the more satisfying.

Singing You'll Never Walk Alone at games when it really means something as opposed to a celebratory version when we've won a match. Fun and emotion. Emotion comes as well when you win. The pain of missing the first two penalties against Cardiff in the Carling Cup final while watching in the Golden Egg in West Hampstead and having my brother pull me up from the floor to force me to watch the rest of it (like I would have done to him if he had done the same) because I felt we had lost it, to the high of Anthony Gerrard missing and beer flying everywhere and drinking a lot more than is healthy. That was fun right there. Emotional too as we celebrated Stevie lifting the cup. And there are plenty of other moments like that over the years that make it all worthwhile.

That too, my brother. We live a two hour train journey apart now but are brought together by our love of our team and Liverpool matches when we both have tickets, or meeting to watch it in a pub with fellow reds which means catching up with him, down to just messaging each other over the fortunes of the team. Having fun, experiencing emotion together. I'm sure many of you feel the same with friends and relatives when it comes to following the reds.

The car, train and coach journeys all over the country just for the 90 minutes. The flights out to Europe when it's within budget. Begging for away spares, getting them occasionally. Trying to build your cup credits up in the hope that if we make a final we could be there to experience it. The camaraderie of it all, the like minded people we have met that will be friends for life just through supporting this wonderful football club.

It's not just about winning for me, though of course it is excellent when we do. Football is something that correlates with my life. For some that's pathetic, or misguided but it's just how it is for me. It's why I never miss a game online or attending if I can make it/afford it, I'm sure it's the same for most people who spend their time on here. Football runs for 9 and a bit months parallel to our lives (besides shitty international breaks). No matter what's happening with us all, there's always a game on the the horizon. Forget yourself for the 90 minutes and invest yourself in the dizzying emotional rollercoaster that is supporting the reds. Sometimes emotion, sometimes fun and at it's best, both.

I don't expect miracles and Jürgen says himself that he can't work them but what he can do is work hard and have the team working hard too. Teach them what it means to us. It's an eye opener that he spoke eloquently about the players having fun as well and enjoying their football. It also feels like he can sense the disconnect between fans and players and wants at a minimum to correct it. And I believe him when he says he will work on this and that is a fantastic starting point isn't it? And if he can bring the fun back for us, bring the emotion back for us (good as well as bad as nothing is ever perfect) and can take us on an adventure and on an indescribable journey over the coming season and ones in future, then I'm damn well strapped in for it and hope you are as well.

Doubters? Nah, we are believers aren't we? What is the point otherwise?

The reds are coming up the hill boys and you fucking try and stop us.  Because if you think you can, we'll bring you down to our level and we'll kill you.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 05:46:44 am by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Fun and Emotion
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 04:56:16 am »
Fun and emotion. They are the two words that I think have resonated most with me having seen what Jürgen Klopp has to say about football and how he views it. Two words that I totally believe go hand in hand with following footie.

We're yet to even see his football in his first game, let alone what it looks like in 4-5 months down the line. I'm delighted with how he has acted so far though. Excited, buzzing and overjoyed with the appointment. This is a guy we just weren't supposed to have. And he's in the hot seat, our hot seat. So far he's done everything you could have asked of him and more in terms of representing himself and the way he speaks about moving us forwards. I'm so much looking forward to seeing it action now and the days can't pass fast enough till Spurs away. He'll need some bedding in and we all know that, but fuck me doesn't it get your heart fluttering again? That's what it's all about.

He's right as well. Football is about emotion and fun. They are the two words I think of when I consider why I put myself through it all. Whether it's Flanagan scoring on the volley at White Hart Lane and going delirious or sitting saddened on the Kop at the end of the games on my seat with my head in my hands in a crowd of 100 as most have filtered out after Forlan scored for Atletico Madrid and they stole Rafa's and our Europa League final off us, or seeing us go out to Benfica and Zenit St Petersburg. Dare I mention Gerrard's slip? Sitting there gutted by it all is part of the dance (to steal a Brendan quote), because those moments of emotion make the eventual fun when it happens all the more satisfying.

Singing You'll Never Walk Alone at games when it really means something as opposed to a celebratory version when we've won a match. Fun and emotion. Emotion comes as well when you win. The pain of missing the first two penalties against Cardiff in the Carling Cup final while watching in the Golden Egg in West Hampstead and having my brother pull me up from the floor to force me to watch the rest of it (like I would have done to him if he had done the same) because I felt we had lost it, to the high of Anthony Gerrard missing and beer flying everywhere and drinking a lot more than is healthy. That was fun right there. And there are plenty of other moments like that over the years that make it all worthwhile.

That too, my brother. We live a two hour train journey apart now but are brought together by our love of our team and Liverpool matches when we both have tickets, or meeting to watch it in a pub with fellow reds which means catching up with him, down to just messaging each other over the fortunes of the team. Having fun, experiencing emotion together. I'm sure many of you feel the same with friends and relatives when it comes to following the reds.

The car, train and coach journeys all over the country just for the 90 minutes. The flights out to Europe when it's within budget. Begging for away spares, getting them occasionally. Trying to build your cup credits up in the hope that if we make a final we could be there to experience it. The camaraderie of it all, the like minded people I have met that will be friends for life just through supporting this wonderful football club.

It's not just about winning for me, though of course it is excellent when we do. Football is something that correlates with my life. For some that's pathetic, or misguided but it's just how it is for me. It's why I never miss a game online or attending if I can make it/afford it, I'm sure it's the same for most people who spend their time on here. Football runs for 9 and a bit months parallel to our lives (besides shitty international breaks). No matter what's happening with us all, there's always a game on the the horizon. Forget yourself for the 90 minutes and invest yourself in the dizzying emotional rollercoaster that is supporting the reds. Sometimes emotion, sometimes fun and at it's best, both.

I don't expect miracles and Jürgen says himself that he can't work them but what he can do is work hard and have the team working hard too. Teach them what it means to us. It feels like he can sense the disconnect between fans and players and wants at a minimum to correct it. And I believe him when he says he will work on this and that is a fantastic starting point isn't it? And if he can bring the fun back for us, bring the emotion back for us (good as well as bad as nothing is ever perfect) and can take us on an adventure and on an indescribable journey over the coming season and ones in future, then I'm damn well strapped in for it.

Doubters? Nah, we are believers aren't we? What is the point otherwise?

The reds are coming up the hill boys and you fucking try and stop us.  Because if you think you can, we'll bring you down to our level and we'll kill you.

Top post and damn right!
Football and Liverpool in particular have always been about emotion and romance for me. An escape from the boring, drab real life.
And every word that Klopp says just seems to reinforce the notion that he just gets us. No matter how the eventual results pan out but by god I am excited for the ride!
Oh and I believe. :)

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 05:14:31 am »
Nicely said, Hij  :thumbup

I'm reading the Beeb's gossip column (which on a Sunday of course is that mile extra wide of reason) and they are talking about Dim Tim's crisis and pour bleeding pouting crying Jose's fucking c*nt's crisis and all manner of gloom and doom ... and here we sit, finally, beyond it all, if not above it just yet. I've felt for the past day or so that we need to slow down a bit in our celebrations and catch our breath - I've not lost an iota of optimism, nor am I worried that we as fans are going to let this euphoria permanently drag our sense away - it's just that it feels like we are careening out of control haha. But you know what? I'm actually convinced that I'm feeling this way only because we've not had a match yet. I am absolutely gagging to watch us at the moment and that hasn't been the case since the wheels came off following the win over Tottenham in the third game of last season. Same players, but Oh My Fowlering Klopp, what a different feeling.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline iiqae

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 05:27:19 am »
Football is something that correlates with my life. For some that's pathetic, or misguided but it's just how it is for me. It's why I never miss a game online or attending if I can make it/afford it, I'm sure it's the same for most people who spend their time on here. 

sitting across the pond, the most resonant impact from klopp's arrival is his categorical dismissal of cynicism.
mike nevin touched on this in his most recent anfield wrap article.
klopp spoke about the divide (socioeconomic) we can feel between supporters and footballers -- undoubtedly exacerbated when our collective reality fails to meet expectations.

the most beautiful and tangible result of his appointment is his refusal to submit to the least bit of shame for his love of footy while acknowledging that ultimately, it could not matter in the slightest. as he said, we're not saving lives.

and yet, i can't help but feel that he is wrong on that last point. as trivial as football is, being a liverpool supporter, being a football fan, at least in this moment, feels so utterly central to life! footy may not save in the sense of rescuing, but no less importantly, it's just enabled me to feel the fun and emotion again. and what the fuck is life without that feeling.

no shame! what a time to be alive!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 05:31:41 am by iiqae »

Offline sidlfc90

• Main Stander
  • Believer!!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 05:31:17 am »
Quality post! What a manager we have on our hands!

Offline reds7

• Kopite
  • Walk on Tommo
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 05:51:15 am »
Literally just thought this two minutes ago in the kitchen. Football is fun!

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 07:23:53 am »
Superb Hij I agree with every single point.

Offline Robbies Girl

• Main Stander
  • The club
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 08:51:26 am »
Nice piece. I can't wait to go to Anfield with the butterflies in my belly again instead of worry, this feels like a real new dawn. Everyone seems united in the excitement will be lovely seeing our fans smiling again. Maybe we won't win every game but this is the man who will return our pride in play I just know it, it's all I've wanted. Fun and emotion, get in!

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 09:08:35 am »
Phew, it's not just me  ;D

I can't explain how excited I am and can't wait to watch his first match.  I've been telling everyone who will listen just how significant this signing could be.  In fact I've been making people listen who frankly aren't remotely interested.

It hasn't felt like this since Rafa left.

Online fiveways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 09:31:31 am »
as luck would have it I booked this last week off as an at-home holiday - intended to do some gardening, clear out  the shed - that kind of stuff

obviously the hedge is still overgrown and the shed is still full of crap

have been stuck in front of my imac transfixed since sunday - still cant get over the excitement of tracking his flight in real time - in fact both flights - the first one turned out to be a red herring which turned south and went sightseeing in north wales

best holiday of my life :-)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 09:49:22 am »
Well it's got me posting in the main forum again, which is a bloody miracle.  ;D

I think JK has reminded us all that football is a game, and one to be enjoyed.  Currently it's packed to the rafters with money puking plastics obsessed with nothing but silverware.  Sixty odd games of grim misery followed by a brief orgasm at the seasons' end trophy lift, and then it's back to looking over your shoulder for the one who wants to snatch it all away from you.  It's all fearful and depressing.

There's no talk here of fair weather fans who give up when the going gets tough, or the winning without winning where it's all just about the taking part, and you're more made up when a rival loses rather than you win.  JK reminds us that there is a balance to be struck, but as long as you can see your team busting a gut then even those inevitable setbacks will have you clapping your boys off the pitch.

I'm just itching to get this party started!
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 01:09:53 am »
It hasn't felt like this since Rafa left.

I just had to check how long it's been since he left mate. Feels like forever. I remember sitting in my kitchen the day he went absolutely gutted. I sincerely hope we have more good times around the corner!
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Alanslad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 10:31:28 am »
Great OP

Think we could be embarking on a roller coaster ride with Klopp in charge. Can't wait for the next match.