Author Topic: Aquilani passes medical and signs 5 yr deal - official  (Read 87932 times)

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Aquilani passes medical and signs 5 yr deal - official
« Reply #160 on: August 7, 2009, 09:54:02 pm »
Made up he has signed but bloody worried about this 4-8 weeks lark, Xabi has left a massive hole and we needed someone to fill that roll asap not in 4 to 8 weeks time.
It is a worry hope we buy a winger, striker or another midfielder.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline Emlynevermore

• Twinkletoes
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bounce!
« Reply #161 on: August 7, 2009, 09:54:20 pm »
Sampdoria's babies are looking pretty great actually.  Azzurrini call ups have like 5 or 6 of them in the squad.  Not any from the big 4 (aside from one Milanista on loan somewhere else).  But there is a lot of talent in Rome.  Problem is it's being poached before they're old enough to sign officially (18 in Italy).  Hence Macheda, Petrucci being snatched by ManEw. 

I saw the Azzurrini squad announcement this morning and was also struck by the relatively small number of players from the list at the big clubs.

Another thing, and one which brings this discussion back on topic, is that Italy take a completely different approach to football at the youth international level than do the powers that be on the sceptered isle.  Italian junior caps are something to be proud of and established youth internationals are traditionally sought after by larger clubs.  The country's footballing culture means that Italians take their U-x, where x = a number between 15 and 21, football seriously.

In England, if you haven't made the senior squad by the time you are 21, you are automatically shit.  The likes of Mario Balotelli would already have a dozen England appearances to his name by now, which would only have made his enormous ego even bigger.  Aquilani had a bunch of caps at U-21 level, where he acquitted himself admirably before earning a shot at senior level.  I even remember reading through the original Aquilani thread and seeing people suggest his limited full Italy caps possibly indicated a similarly limited footballer.  Rubbish.  Right or wrong, that's just how Italy do things.  A little too conservative in that regard for my tastes--occasionally the Davide Santons are just ready at that age--but they are the reigning world champions, after all.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2009, 09:57:16 pm by Emlynevermore »
Forza Viola!
Sitting in my car near anfield I've just had an amazing idea. Why not get behind the team?

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: August 7, 2009, 09:55:14 pm »
The more I think about this, the more it seems like yet another masterstroke from the genius mind that is Rafa:

Back in May, Xabi makes it plain that he wants to leave. After thinking that Alonso will get £20 million at a push because he couldn't get £16 million for him last year, Rafa's Hawking like brain quickly performs a million calculations, processes 1000's of scouting reports and watches 100's of hours of Macedonian Red's youtube files.

"Aquilani is the man for me" says Rafa, so he phones up Roma. "I'll happily pay the £17 million, but what? He's just had an op and he'll be out for weeks? Fuck! Oh hang on a minute, that'll give me time  to fuck Perez and Valdano about and I might make a few bob as well.

"Benitez, £22 million is our final offer. No sorry, make that £24 million. Hello ...  hello?" Perez rings back "OK £25 million is our final offer. Did I say £26, I meant £28 million." and all Perez can hear is Rafa whistling the tune from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Rafa then sits in his chair at Melwood stroking his white Persian cat for a couple of weeks and thinks "£28 million! Fuck me! Now if I can just get Alonso to hand in a request, I'll make an extra £3 million!"

Alonso goes home to Spainto sulk for a couple of days and eventually phones Rafa up. "OK Benitez you win! I'll give you your fucking transfer request. Damn you Rafa! Damn you to hell!" Rafa responds "OK then, tell Perez to call me tomorrow."

In the meantime, Rafa phones Roma "Is Aquilani ready to step up his rehab physio? Good, send him over. Nice doing business with you!"

Next day, Perez phones up. "So we have a deal at £28 million?"
"Do we fuck!" says Rafa. "I said £30 milion."
"You thieving fucking bastardo!" screams Valdano on the conference call. Rafa hangs up.

Brrrnng Brrnnng.

""OK £30 million it is." says a dejected Perez.
"And don't forget the add ons, fuck face!" laughs Benitez into the phone. "And you will forever rue the day you crossed swords with Don Rafael Benitez."

Rafa turns in his chair to face a picture of Rick Parry, raises a glass of Cava, smiles and says
"To you Rick. A Man who couldn't sell Alonso for £15 million. Well I managed to get a player who is a better version of the Barry style more attacking midfielder I wanted last year, who fits into my style of play better, for only £17 million, sell Alonso for twice what you couldn't get for him last year, save an extra £3 million on the loyalty bonus AND make Perez and Valdano look like a bigger pair of tits than Jordan. How do you like them fucking apples Rick?"

Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #163 on: August 7, 2009, 09:56:21 pm »
I think the 4-8 week thing is very good. Imo it will be more like 5 weeks, but they have said to 8 to allow him full time for rehabilitation. If you rush him back he gets injured again. A bit like torres with his hamstrings.

Let him heal, rest , regain match fitness and let him start in an "easier" home game. Lucas, masch (and spearing?) can manage till then.

Or stevie comes in and yossi behind.

Offline Bennyo

• Wasn't arsed about having a custom title, so all he got was this.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: August 7, 2009, 09:57:48 pm »
I saw the Azzurrini squad announcement this morning and was also struck by the relatively small number of players from the list at the big clubs.

Another thing, and one which brings this discussion back on topic, is that Italy take a completely different approach to football at the youth international level than do the powers that be on the sceptered isle.  Italian junior caps are something to be proud of and established youth internationals are traditionally sought after by larger clubs.  The country's footballing culture means that Italians take their U-x, where x = a number between 15 and 21, football seriously.

In England, if you haven't made the senior squad by the time you are 21, you are automatically shit.  The likes of Mario Balotelli would already have a dozen England appearances to his name by now, which would only have made his enormous ego even bigger.  Aquilani had a bunch of caps at U-21 level, where he acquitted himself admirably before earning a shot at senior level.  I even remember reading through the original Aquilani thread and seeing people suggest his limited full Italy caps possibly indicated a similarly limited footballer.  Rubbish.  Right or wrong, that's just how Italy do things.  A little too conservative in that regard for my tastes--occasionally the Davide Santons are just ready at that age--but they are the reigning world champions, after all.

Good analysis

Offline Zaffarious

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #165 on: August 7, 2009, 09:58:07 pm »
The more I think about this, the more it seems like yet another masterstroke from the genius mind that is Rafa:

Back in May, Xabi makes it plain that he wants to leave. After thinking that Alonso will get £20 million at a push because he couldn't get £16 million for him last year, Rafa's Hawking like brain quickly performs a million calculations, processes 1000's of scouting reports and watches 100's of hours of Macedonian Red's youtube files.

"Aquilani is the man for me" says Rafa, so he phones up Roma. "I'll happily pay the £17 million, but what? He's just had an op and he'll be out for weeks? Fuck! Oh hang on a minute, that'll give me time  to fuck Perez and Valdano about and I might make a few bob as well.

"Benitez, £22 million is our final offer. No sorry, make that £24 million. Hello ...  hello?" Perez rings back "OK £25 million is our final offer. Did I say £26, I meant £28 million." and all Perez can hear is Rafa whistling the tune from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Rafa then sits in his chair at Melwood stroking his white Persian cat for a couple of weeks and thinks "£28 million! Fuck me! Now if I can just get Alonso to hand in a request, I'll make an extra £3 million!"

Alonso goes home to Spainto sulk for a couple of days and eventually phones Rafa up. "OK Benitez you win! I'll give you your fucking transfer request. Damn you Rafa! Damn you to hell!" Rafa responds "OK then, tell Perez to call me tomorrow."

In the meantime, Rafa phones Roma "Is Aquilani ready to step up his rehab physio? Good, send him over. Nice doing business with you!"

"You thieving fucking bastardo!" screams Valdano on the conference call. Rafa hangs up.

Brrrnng Brrnnng.

"And don't forget the add ons, fuck face!" laughs Benitez into the phone. "And you will forever rue the day you crossed swords with Don Rafael Benitez."

Rafa turns in his chair to face a picture of Rick Parry, raises a glass of Cava, smiles and says
"To you Rick. A Man who couldn't sell Alonso for £15 million. Well I managed to get a player who is a better version of the Barry style more attacking midfielder I wanted last year, who fits into my style of play better, for only £17 million, sell Alonso for twice what you couldn't get for him last year, save an extra £3 million on the loyalty bonus AND make Perez and Valdano look like a bigger pair of tits than Jordan. How do you like them fucking apples Rick?"

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Top top post :D

Offline Crouchy

• Legacy Fan
  • Vamos!
« Reply #166 on: August 7, 2009, 09:58:38 pm »
Great news! :)

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: August 7, 2009, 09:58:49 pm »
Or stevie comes in yossi's behind.

You fucking pervert!   :P
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Bennyo

• Wasn't arsed about having a custom title, so all he got was this.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: August 7, 2009, 09:59:45 pm »

Brrrnng Brrnnng.

:D Great post!

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #169 on: August 7, 2009, 10:00:34 pm »
Cant believe he is out for a month or two.

What the fuck are we going to do now - we would be mad to use Lucas or even madder to move Gerrard back and put Yossi behind Torres for that time.

Bad move. I cant help but feel that Rafa has put his career on the line with this signing.

Of all the players out there, even if this was one Rafa wanted, he should have canned it and made sure we got someone who could play now, even if he isn't as good.

Those are my feelings and I put them down to me being a prize dickhead.

I tell ya, this part of the forum has a large percentage of bellends.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Emlynevermore

• Twinkletoes
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bounce!
« Reply #170 on: August 7, 2009, 10:01:17 pm »
Brilliant, macca.  ;D

Especially loved this bit:

:lmao

Forza Viola!
Sitting in my car near anfield I've just had an amazing idea. Why not get behind the team?

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #171 on: August 7, 2009, 10:01:31 pm »

Brrrnng Brrnnng.

GENIUS post !

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: August 7, 2009, 10:01:45 pm »
Lucas, masch (and spearing?) can manage till then.

You have more faith than me, my nerves are gone our best player from last season has gone and the player brought in to replace him will be out for another 2-3 months and has never played in the league before.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 7, 2009, 10:02:33 pm »
Top post Macca888

Offline LegendsLost

• Kopite
« Reply #174 on: August 7, 2009, 10:03:24 pm »

Brrrnng Brrnnng.

I don't wanna stroke your balls anymore than the next RAWK poster but you are a fucking LEGEND, Macca.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #175 on: August 7, 2009, 10:03:56 pm »
 Welcome Aquilani to the family

“Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.”

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: August 7, 2009, 10:05:28 pm »

Brrrnng Brrnnng.

:lmao

Hardly ever laugh at posts on here, but that made me laugh out loud  ;D
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Waterloo Phil

• Cheeky bleeder. Thinks the mods are here to answer to his beck and call
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ya Get Me
« Reply #177 on: August 7, 2009, 10:10:03 pm »
Oh dear im excited, could it happen this year ?

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #178 on: August 7, 2009, 10:11:39 pm »
Welcome to this fabulous club

take your chance fella you will never get a better one

made up Lynds and elnino where wrong with their info, or they were both told wrong, though I think elnino was bandwagon jumping

chuffed rafa got his first choice replacement. Role on the season
« Last Edit: August 7, 2009, 10:15:37 pm by Something Else »

royhendo

« Reply #179 on: August 7, 2009, 10:12:36 pm »
Or stevie comes in yossi's behind.

I wanna stroke your balls and give you a good hard fucking Macca.

You fucking pervert!   :P

This is turning into some kind of creampie gonzo fest.

P.S. Macca - can I *** on your tits?
« Last Edit: August 7, 2009, 10:15:22 pm by royhendo »

Offline Zaffarious

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #180 on: August 7, 2009, 10:13:04 pm »
I wanna stick this out there but i reckon Aquilani will be a better fit in our system than Alonso. Might take a few months for everyone to see him at his best in our system but i reckon we have a gem here. Someone that will take our team movememnt to another level.

Offline mrsphilthefish

• Twitter terrier. Queen of the retweet
  • Legacy Fan
  • I will do what I can to get justice for our 96
« Reply #181 on: August 7, 2009, 10:13:10 pm »
macca888

Best post I've read for a long time  ;D  :lmao
There's been many mountains to climb but I can smell Justice.......soon our 96 reds will rest in peace JFT96

Offline LegendsLost

• Kopite
« Reply #182 on: August 7, 2009, 10:14:28 pm »
This is turning into some kind of creampie gonzo fest.

It's no worse than what goes on in the Fernando Torres thread whenever he speaks.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #183 on: August 7, 2009, 10:14:45 pm »

Yeah pity he's crocked really.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: August 7, 2009, 10:14:47 pm »
I've only seen little bits fo him on videos, and the odd bit in champions league games on the telly....so I'm not exactly in a position to judge how good he is/will be, but I've got a good feeling about it.  I look forward to seeing how we play with a midfield two that's set up differently to the previous one with Xabi and Masch.

Annoying that he's out injured, but I'd rather get the player that Rafa really wants but who's injured than an inferior player who is available straight away.  Considering the size of the fee, it's important to get the right player not just for this season but for future seasons too.

Anyway, Lucas will be more than capable of filling the gap for a month or so.  I have full faith in him.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #185 on: August 7, 2009, 10:15:38 pm »

Thats genius mate, fucking genius
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline VintageRed74

• or perhaps Vladimir or even Estragon. Best fiends with Maggie..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: August 7, 2009, 10:20:07 pm »
Funny as fuck macca and welcome Senor Aquiliani  :wave
I never normally forget a face, but in your case I'm willing to make an exception.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: August 7, 2009, 10:20:07 pm »
4-8 weeks to get full fit, probably not until x-mas until he gets fully match fit and aclimatised himself with the English game.

Step up Lucas mate, it's now or never for you pal.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #188 on: August 7, 2009, 10:20:53 pm »
Anybody else hear Christian Poulsen on his way for a medical?? 90%
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: August 7, 2009, 10:21:30 pm »
Really good news he's passed his medical. Got to move on now from the worry about his fitness because this proves that

1) He's got blood
2) He can urinate without falling over and
3) He can cough.

Get in.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: August 7, 2009, 10:22:10 pm »

Would be just like us to stock up on centre midfielders and leave other weak areas of our squad alone.

Offline Ben_

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: August 7, 2009, 10:22:16 pm »
Macca :lmao

Welcome aboard Alberto.
The match kicks off in 30 minutes ya silly twat

"This European Cup final is won, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 0."

"This scoreline is absolutely staggering, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 3!" - Five Live

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #192 on: August 7, 2009, 10:23:04 pm »
Would be just like us to stock up on centre midfielders and leave other weak areas of our squad alone.

or could mean Lucas is on his way?
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #193 on: August 7, 2009, 10:23:38 pm »
No

was rubbished a few days back so would be shocked if it's true

Offline Brentieke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: August 7, 2009, 10:25:59 pm »
or could mean Lucas is on his way?

Not a chance IMO. Rafa aint gonna give up on Lucas now, not when he finally has the chance to really stake his claim for a future at this club.

Poulsen makes sense because he'll be backup to Masch, and we need a backup to Masch. The only worry I would have is how much money we have left for strenghtneing the other weak areas of our first 11 and squad.

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #195 on: August 7, 2009, 10:29:34 pm »
Not a chance IMO. Rafa aint gonna give up on Lucas now, not when he finally has the chance to really stake his claim for a future at this club.

Poulsen makes sense because he'll be backup to Masch, and we need a backup to Masch. The only worry I would have is how much money we have left for strenghtneing the other weak areas of our first 11 and squad.

Well Lucas said that if he does not get plenty of game time this season he is off. If Christian Poulsen is indeed on his way he will play ahead of Lucas imo. 

ps sorry for the thread hijack! Christian Poulsen one was locked.

Offline aristeia

• Main Stander
  • ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
« Reply #196 on: August 7, 2009, 10:30:18 pm »
Here's the one I did find.

It shows Roma set out as a 4-2-3-1 with him in the '2' alongside DR, but clearly going more box to box, and this was the 'no recognised striker' thing wasn't it? 1 minute 17 in - he hits the post twice from distance in quick succession. I'd love to watch that game in full to be honest.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LBshXChuKg0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LBshXChuKg0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

The other vid I saw showed a lot more of his all-round game and it was reassuring.

I believe I may have that game.  I will go poke around in my Roma games and see if I can upload it for you.  It'd be via megaupload, btw.

Offline LegendsLost

• Kopite
« Reply #197 on: August 7, 2009, 10:32:25 pm »
Well Lucas said that if he does not get plenty of game time this season he is off. If Christian Poulsen is indeed on his way he will play ahead of Lucas imo. 

ps sorry for the thread hijack! Christian Poulsen one was locked.

I disagree.  I think Poulsen will be a direct back up to Mascherano and wouldn't be ahead of Lucas in the pecking order.  Rafa has Lucas under his wing and knows what to do with the lad.  Lucas will start at CM for the time being whilst Aquilani is hurt and when he's back - they'll do battle.  If Lucas had looked out of depth in pre-season this year, then I'd say maybe you had a case but he has looked strong and hungry this year.  He's in at CM.

royhendo

« Reply #198 on: August 7, 2009, 10:33:14 pm »
I believe I may have that game.  I will go poke around in my Roma games and see if I can upload it for you.  It'd be via megaupload, btw.

Beautiful Aristeia! If it's OK with you I'll stick it on here once I've got it OK?

http://rawk.impulsed.net

P.S. have a look cos there are a lot of good games on there.

P.P.S. I've a sneaky feeling Aquilani's quite similar to Roberto Falcao - is that a fair thing to say?

Offline Brentieke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: August 7, 2009, 10:33:23 pm »
Should we really read anything about him passing his medical?

These are the people who gave Philipe Degen the all clear after all...

Gonna nail my colors to the mast here. I think this is the biggest gamble Rafa as ever taken. He's replacing one of our untouchable first 11 starters by a man of undoubted talent but also fragile health.

He's doing it in the full knowledge that man may miss the first 2 months of the season and will in all likelyhood (no pre season) not be fully match fit and used to the English game until Christmas.

He's placing an awfull lot of trust in Aquilani and Lucas' talents. I hope to God he turns out to be right, as he's often been, because if not the knives will be out and rightly so.