Author Topic: It's all a bit familiar  (Read 11521 times)

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
It's all a bit familiar
« on: February 26, 2009, 01:20:33 am »
The continent’s form team are waiting in the last 16 of the European Cup. They’re in fantastic form. Some people say it could be their year. But after 90 (and usually a 180 minutes but let’s not count that chicken just yet on this occasion) they’re left shaking their heads wondering what happened.

"They’re really lacking in ideas."
"They just haven’t shown up tonight."
"I can’t recall them ever playing this poor."

You’re probably familiar with those phrases and other similar ones by now. If you were watching Barcelona in 2007, Inter Milan in 2008 and now Real Madrid in 2009 you’re sure to have heard them. It’s a strange coincidence that keeps on occurring. Europe’s giants, her best teams, the ones in the most frightening of form… They all keep on coming unstuck.

World class players, coaches, teams and clubs come undone. Liverpool and Rafael Benitez - Kryptonite to European club football’s superpower’s.

It shouldn’t come as a shock any more but to those on the outside it still does. The unexplainable has occurred, and for the 3rd year on the spin. It must be pure luck or an unfortunate coincidence. The same mistakes keep on being repeated. Don’t these guys ever learn?

In 2007 it was the reigning champions, the mighty Barcelona. No team was going to beat them. They had too much going forward; they had too much in midfield. Ronaldinho, Messi, Deco, Eto’o, and Xavi – how was anyone meant to live with that, much less a team that just got hammered by Arsenal’s kids? How was a squad in disarray, with players who attacked each other meant to put up a fight? How they sniggered. Some didn’t even hide it and just laughed aloud.

What happened? I think you all know.

The two at each others throats the week before both scored, Liverpool won away at the Nou Camp doing for a second time what no other English team has managed even once.

Barcelona didn’t show up. They couldn’t pass the ball as crisply as normal. Their big players were void of ideas and invention. They looked tired, flustered and ultimately hopeless.

In 2008 it was Inter Milan, a repeat of the infamous 1965 semi-final. Inter Milan were coasting at the top of their domestic league. They were then as they are now the perennial Italian champions. These wouldn’t repeat the mistakes of Barcelona. Barcelona were on the way down, Inter Milan had the hunger. They were on their way up. Domestic monkey off their back it was now the time to show that their success had not just come off the back of Calciopoli and show that they were the best in Europe.

An unwise comment here, a display of petulance there and they were off. Dispatched from Europe in a manner that was almost becoming routine. They didn’t show up, they didn’t pass the ball as crisply as normal; their big players were void of ideas and invention. They looked tired, flustered and ultimately hopeless.

And here we are now in 2009. Half-way to doing the same once again. You all know how the script goes by now. It’s one of Europe’s big guns. Hell, this time it’s the biggest. They’re flying too. They’ve just won nine on the spin and only conceded two goals in that time. The only game they lost was to a Barcelona side widely regarded as the best in the world at present, and that was in Juande Ramos’ first game in charge domestically, away from home with a squad depleted by injuries. This Real Madrid team are steamrolling the opposition. They’ve scored ten goals in their last two games. They’d put six away before half time at the weekend. This time it’ll be different. This time Liverpool is in turmoil… which granted, they were in the two previous ties, but this one is different. Their luck has to run out eventually, doesn’t it?

Well, as it turns out, no.

Madrid are put away without Liverpool’s two best players even being on the pitch at the time the goal went in. Quite a feat for a side regarded as overly-reliant on just two players. Familiar echoes occur in the heads of Sky Sports esteemed commentators, presenters and analysts.

“They didn’t show up. They couldn’t pass the ball as crisply as normal. Their big players were void of ideas and invention. They looked tired, flustered and ultimately hopeless.”

Only at a few limited intervals over the last 3 years will you have heard why these teams didn’t show up. Why they struggled. Why passing the ball suddenly looked foreign to them... Turns out that it’s the opposition team. Liverpool. They’re fucking good.

It’s been taken for granted a lot recently, just where we are in the grand scheme of things. There are two teams who can realistically say they are better than us at the moment. The pisser is that one of them is in our league. The major pisser is that it’s them.

We’re not going to talk about them though. We’re going to talk about us. Because it isn’t getting said often enough at the moment how good we are. How far we’ve come climbing back up the mountain. And no, we’re not at the top yet. But just because we haven’t hit the summit quite yet, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t look down through the clouds at the people who look like ants down below.

And tonight it hit home again. It wasn’t just beating Real Madrid without slipping out of 2nd gear. It was as much hearing Joe Cole talk about playing against Liverpool. Not about the kop or the atmosphere. About how when he’d look up there’d be red shirts everywhere. How there was no space. How difficult it was. You could tell he hated it. Respected just how good we were at it, but hated it none the less. He’s not the only one either. You don’t need an interview to know that it shook the shit out of Ronaldinho. It quickly changed Messi’s opinion to the point where now he goes out of his way to praise us. Kaká’s pointed it out as well. Robben did too. Sure, some lash out at the style of play, but it’s sheer frustration. It's anger because it stops them from doing what they want to do.

We’re not complete yet, everyone knows it and we all have pretty much the same idea on what the problem is. You can bet if we’ve noticed then Rafa has too. Whether he’ll go about correcting it in the way you or I would ideally see it bettered, who knows? He should get every chance possible to do so though.

We’re really not that far away and anyone who wants to call it a day now… Well I just can’t get my head around that. Some people need to remember just how good we are. Even with the draws, the perceived negative style of play, the lack of creativity and whatever else. Even without that the icing on top, this squad and this manager are still really good. We’re amongst the best three teams in Europe and, on a single day, perhaps the best. Some times we need reminding of that, especially when things have been going the way they have been recently. Thankfully there’ll always be another European away day to jog our memories and wet our appetites at what is to come in the last 3 months of the season.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline kevmck

• Kopite
Re: It's all a bit familiar
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 01:26:12 am »
good post.. puts a bit of perspective on things.

heres hoping we can take it all the way and continue to have teams that dont show up :D

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 01:28:21 am »
Absolute belter of a post Mr Loco.

This should be emailed to every Fleet Street journalist and all the doom-mongering pundits and ex-players.

Having said that, they will still never learn.

::)

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 01:30:42 am »
Great post we are argubaly one of the top 3 sides in europe with the mancs and barca, and the fact we can stop teams from playing  due to our astute manager how are they going to possibly win?

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 01:31:45 am »
Cracking post Juan, love it!

This could be the springboard that we need to turn the league around. The players and the staff must be over the fucking moon today. What better way to shut up the wankers than to ram it down their collective throats just how fucking good we are.

Stand up and take the applause Redmen, you were utterly brilliant today :)
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 01:31:52 am »
Fantastic stuff as always Juan.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 01:33:55 am »
Enjoyed that, thanks.

The reds are at it again  8)

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 01:36:01 am »
top post - well in

a shame that certain sections of the media seem to have an agenda, and will stick to it, regardless of what happens on the pitch.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 01:38:00 am »
we never get the respect we deserve after results like this in europe, but long way to go on this tie yet.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 01:41:52 am »
Shushhhhh, don't let them cop on, we are lucky, one/two man team, fluked the win, and will get knocked out.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline pinkdragon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 01:47:38 am »
Absolutely wonderful post. Thank you.
My love. My passion. My life. Liverpool Football Club.

Offline heatseeker

• Kopite
  • Step by step...
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 01:48:44 am »
I'm spending quality time supporting my team...

If you can't cope....do one

Nite

There's no place on this planet, quite like Merseyside - Jegsy Dodd

Offline rhysd

• Kopite
  • Igor
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 01:50:45 am »
What a fucking great post. Well in Juan Loco.
20 and 7

Offline ArgImAPirate

• Legacy Fan
  • rat a tat tat
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 01:51:32 am »
A quality post. Almost as quality as our disciplined, controlling performance that made one of Europe's most in form sides look poor.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 02:00:22 am »
Excellent post Juan Loco, and regarding the Joe Cole bit I always thought he was a bit of a twat, but Kudos to him tonight, I thought his comments were class..

Offline Indian Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Me gran played a blinder that night
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 02:02:32 am »
Why arent the likes of you writing professionally, I`ll never know
My 6 word memoir: Got me education from the Kop

Offline Slave

• shit joker - shit vicki vale too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 02:05:58 am »
Does this place have a *bow down to you* smiley?

--------------------------------------------------

Turns out that it’s the opposition team. Liverpool. They’re fucking good.

Too fucking right.
It is most odd.

Offline Lfc Rules

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 02:08:23 am »
Does this place have a *bow down to you* smiley?

Excellent post Juan :wellin
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 02:10:36 am by Lfc Rules »
"PLAY FUCKING FOOTBALL!" ~ Jürgen Klopp

Offline nutmeg94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 02:21:27 am »
Think I got a hard-on reading that.  Great post.

And I love that allusion to Paul Merson.  What a charlie uniform yada yada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQhr5BIXmV8

Offline stacato

• Main Stander
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 02:23:29 am »
Great piece Juan. We are  proud today, very proud. ;D

Offline Bluto Bukowski

• Bluster Bloodvessel
  • Anny Roader
  • L
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 02:36:36 am »
You could have added a few other teams to the list of paper tigers Rafa's dispatched over two legs in the Champions League. What was that really expensive bunch of mercenaries to be knocked out once or twice when people said we had no chance. ? I can't recall.
Double you Double you Double you dot com dot com

Offline Xabinator

• Legacy Fan
  • We will go to Paris.....we may even go to France
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 03:54:17 am »
Think I got a hard-on reading that.  Great post.

You think you did??? If you're not sure, you may wanna get that checked out. You may've been bitten by something  ;)
"Sir, I may be an idiot but there is one thing that I am not - and that, sir, is an idiot" Peter Griffin

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 03:58:23 am »
Let's have it.

Let's fucking have it.

Rafa Collects Scalps.

Offline Yertle

• Kemlynite
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 04:13:34 am »
After reading juan locos post, I had to use my first post just to say how bloody quality it was.  What a win for the lads.  Yes i'm drunk but fucking, what else would make you as happy as this?! ;D

Could anyone tell me what Carragher said at full time? The pub I was in thought it would be a good idea to put Motown music on as soon as full time hit.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 04:16:33 am »
Could anyone tell me what Carragher said at full time? The pub I was in thought it would be a good idea to put Motown music on as soon as full time hit.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.msg5437033#msg5437033

Link is there. Who would think such a tough guy has such a high-pitched voice. Contrast with Fernando who looks angelic but has a voice a few octaves deeper than Carra's.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline Yertle

• Kemlynite
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 04:32:35 am »
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.msg5437033#msg5437033

Link is there. Who would think such a tough guy has such a high-pitched voice. Contrast with Fernando who looks angelic but has a voice a few octaves deeper than Carra's.

Thanks for the link :)

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 04:56:10 am »
You could have added a few other teams to the list of paper tigers Rafa's dispatched over two legs in the Champions League. What was that really expensive bunch of mercenaries to be knocked out once or twice when people said we had no chance. ? I can't recall.

Nah, he means top class team, not a bunch of rent boys.

still, top post and here's to more dismissals from all of them to us. Write us off at your own peril!!
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 05:25:33 am »
As ever, you make good reading Juan Loco. After reading the latest guff from the pen of Darren Lewis of The Mirror, sanity is now restored.

"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 05:32:04 am »
Fantastic spine-tingling post! Inspiring win last night.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline jp2

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 05:35:45 am »
Top post.

We've had no problems with every single top team we've met this year. The positive side of me compares the team to an advanced student in a lower division class - they only perform well when challenged or placed under heavy pressure. The negative side is perplexed as to why they bring home a C- against Fulham.
We just spotted Chelsea our best player and pwned them at the Bridge.

royhendo

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 05:38:15 am »
Lovely bit of writing that, Senor Loco. :)

Offline bruce64

• Main Stander
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 05:46:29 am »
the only english team NOT to score and the only english team not to win .... we are better than them with a better manager who has more intergity in his little toe than alex has in his whole body

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 05:56:50 am »
I have to say that Rafa is unmatched in Europe. I am being serious. He has shown it time and time again, since his Valencia days. His only every mistake I remember is when his Valencia played Inter too attacking game. And they went out unfairly, Baraja and co missing 5-6 good chances. Since then, Rafa's teams have been cautious at the back and strong in midfield. And "lucky" in attack, in that sense that he knew Liverpool will score sooner or later.

Forget about Mourinho, who didn't do half as good job with squads regarded far better than Liverpool squad. Forget about Ferguson, who had good squad for last 12 or so years and delivered only twice. Forget about Wenger, who never delivers in Europe, and for past 5 years, he's worse than Benitez in England, too.

Benitez is a real master of Champions League footie. I believe in this so much that if Rafa is sacked from Liverpool (rumors you know), and goes back to Valencia or Atletico/Sevilla in Spain, I am confident he will build a Champions League contender side in a year or two. Fantastic manager.

Offline reds7

• Kopite
  • Walk on Tommo
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 06:12:19 am »
Nice post mate, quality read. God i love this time of year

Offline redannie

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 08:19:02 am »
Excellent post thank you JL
I don't usually have much time for Martin Samuels - or the Mail - but his piece this morning is well worth the read.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:21:46 am by redannie »

Offline Macca201188

• Kopite
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 08:32:34 am »
Nice post mate, quality read. God i love this time of year

:D Me too, love it!
The reds are comin up the hill boys....

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 08:40:27 am »
Just crap. We should sack Rafa for playing this kind of football. Boring football. Sure, we've beaten Barca, Inter and Real at their peak but we can't even beat teams which should be playing in the championship. We're so utterly clueless about football it makes watching Arsenal better than sex. And I don't mind being sex'ed up by the unsexy football we play. God, I just love us

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 08:42:09 am »
Great read mate  ... Glad to see their loads of us that think the same.

Love it ;)

"We’re not complete yet, everyone knows it and we all have pretty much the same idea on what the problem is. You can bet if we’ve noticed then Rafa has too. Whether he’ll go about correcting it in the way you or I would ideally see it bettered, who knows? He should get every chance possible to do so though."

Hope so ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:45:07 am by rocco »

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 08:53:33 am »
I only comment when I feel like I have to. but that article should be sent to every single journalist working for the so called top news papers.
I do find it hilarious when a man with probably an English or journalist degree is telling people who have been involved in the game of football for forty years how to manage a football club. Even ex professionals who work in the game who have not performed at a European or world level describe how a manager should do this and this player should do that. Players such as Andy Townsend, Robbie Earl, Mark Bright even Paul "I hate Liverpool" Merson.
They should all express an informal oppion, but all I ask for is don't be lazy journalists and use poor research sources, that includes that Chris Bascombe. I will leave my post in that if a group of people ever doubt Liverpool, they will be left Red Faced, just how we like it!

Offline LFCYNWA

• Anny Roader
  • Professional Kloppite
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2009, 10:31:45 am »
Great post ! !
Thanks for that mate
Great performance last night well in Redmen
Keep it up against boro on Saturday !

Any news on Torres injury ?