Author Topic: Baltimore Bridge collapses after being hit by cargo ship  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Baltimore Bridge collapses after being hit by cargo ship
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2024, 04:54:29 pm »
I'd be more concerned with the shocking anti-collision defences on bridges over these major shipping lanes. Looks like the defences on the Baltimore bridge were built in 1977 and not even close to fit for purpose when considering modern container ships.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2024, 05:27:22 pm »
Or / and dropping anchor.
It does not work like that. Anchors are ineffective breaks. It takes time.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2YvwXJGsbEg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2YvwXJGsbEg</a>
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2024, 07:49:39 pm »
It does not work like that. Anchors are ineffective breaks. It takes time.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2YvwXJGsbEg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2YvwXJGsbEg</a>

It's like expecting a train to come to a complete immediate stop when they see a car across the tracks. It takes as much power and time to stop these machines as it does to get them going.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2024, 08:19:13 pm »
Jesus.

Also, that ship ownership structure and operations catches the eye doesn't it.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2024, 08:27:28 pm »
Jesus.

Also, that ship ownership structure and operations catches the eye doesn't it.

The more concerning thing is that is pretty much bog standard for the industry. I'm just amazed it was registered in Singapore, it's usually Panama, Vanuatu or Liberia.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2024, 09:05:39 pm »
The more concerning thing is that is pretty much bog standard for the industry. I'm just amazed it was registered in Singapore, it's usually Panama, Vanuatu or Liberia.

Yep.  The industry is dodgy as hell.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2024, 09:37:37 pm »
It's like expecting a train to come to a complete immediate stop when they see a car across the tracks. It takes as much power and time to stop these machines as it does to get them going.

My mam asked why they didn't just turn or stop  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2024, 10:52:55 am »
I'd be more concerned with the shocking anti-collision defences on bridges over these major shipping lanes. Looks like the defences on the Baltimore bridge were built in 1977 and not even close to fit for purpose when considering modern container ships.

This, I get that there can be especially bad collisions, but it didn't seem like there was much to prevent the direct strike on the bridge pillar.

Also, I sort of think there would be a way to build a bridge that would only result in a partial collapse near the supporting pillar. But the whole bridge went down pretty much instantely, even the sections still fully supported by the other pillars.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2024, 12:19:01 pm »
The bridge was built between 1972 and 1977. I know big container ships are hardly a new idea, but maybe a collision with a ship this size just wasn't anticipated?

EDIT: I see the ship was fairly modest in size compared to some of the really big ships out there. About the size of a decent sized cruise ship. So it's really just down to inertia and dead weight of the vessel. That said, the concrete pylons supporting the central span of the bridge don't look particularly robust.

This guy is pretty good when it comes to all things ships. I'm still watching the vid, but I'll share it here.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/R4AuGZIhJ_c&amp;ab_channel=OceanlinerDesigns" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/R4AuGZIhJ_c&amp;ab_channel=OceanlinerDesigns</a>
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 12:27:41 pm by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2024, 01:03:48 pm »
Six people confirmed to have died, that's really sad.
RIP.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2024, 04:11:42 pm »
I was reading on the guardian about the Far Rights "conspiracy theory" (it being a Black Swan Event) and clicked through to the Andrew Tate tweet about it.  Dear.  God.  How are some of these people still able to vote.  Going on about it being a deliberate act of terror by Israel/Rissia (they aren't sure which), etc etc.

After about 2 mins of reading the responses, I had lost the will to live - surprised it took that long

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2024, 04:24:56 pm »
I was reading on the guardian about the Far Rights "conspiracy theory" (it being a Black Swan Event) and clicked through to the Andrew Tate tweet about it.  Dear.  God.  How are some of these people still able to vote.  Going on about it being a deliberate act of terror by Israel/Rissia (they aren't sure which), etc etc.

After about 2 mins of reading the responses, I had lost the will to live - surprised it took that long

He thanks you for your ad revenue.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2024, 04:25:42 pm »
RIP.

All the workers, the poor bastards, cannot imagine the fear.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2024, 04:32:21 pm »
RIP.

Horrible news.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2024, 05:39:13 pm »
He thanks you for your ad revenue.

I mean, I've obviously got adblock on, and twatter is one of the sites with the more stringent blocking

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2024, 08:49:50 pm »
Am I right in thinking one guy plummeted into the water - possibly in his car, was rescued and left the hospital the same day? And the guy can’t swim?? I can’t figure out what happened to him properly.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 08:51:30 pm by meady1981 »

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2024, 12:14:40 pm »
This is an incredible thread

https://x.com/cfishman/status/1773733488295882896?s=46

Basically the pilot of the ship alerted the authorities to close the bridge with 30 seconds of power failure.

No pissing about, 30 seconds.  Incredible. How many lives did that save??
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2024, 12:34:30 pm »
This, I get that there can be especially bad collisions, but it didn't seem like there was much to prevent the direct strike on the bridge pillar.

Also, I sort of think there would be a way to build a bridge that would only result in a partial collapse near the supporting pillar. But the whole bridge went down pretty much instantely, even the sections still fully supported by the other pillars.
This, I find it incredulous that a whole bridge could collapse in that way.
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2024, 12:48:05 pm »
incredible not incredulous. :)

my guess is there are hundreds of thousands - maybe more - bridges that would be affected the same way, all over the world.

retrofitting to add "bumpers" or whatever they're called would be hugely expensive in many cases - and given the infrequency of these collisions, would likely never get the go-ahead anyway.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2024, 02:11:52 pm »
incredible not incredulous. :)

my guess is there are hundreds of thousands - maybe more - bridges that would be affected the same way, all over the world.

retrofitting to add "bumpers" or whatever they're called would be hugely expensive in many cases - and given the infrequency of these collisions, would likely never get the go-ahead anyway.
I looked up the weight of the MV Dali: over 250,000 tonnes when fully laden. It would take enormous buffers (channels?) to reliably prevent a ship that size taking out the bridge. Would the creation of such barriers be as big a task as building the bridge itself? I suspect that it would be. The reality is, for such rare occurrences, it is not worth the cost. And this type of cost analysis is always a factor in just about every human endeavour. It might be uncomfortable to think about it, but we accept much greater risks than this all the time and there are few (serious) calls to make them much safer (at much greater expense): flying, driving, etc., possibly making them too expensive to create/use at all.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2024, 03:05:29 pm »

It was built in the 70s, I think.  Ships were not as large and heavy, back then.

A bit like cars, too.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2024, 04:34:49 pm »
This is an incredible thread

https://x.com/cfishman/status/1773733488295882896?s=46

Basically the pilot of the ship alerted the authorities to close the bridge with 30 seconds of power failure.

No pissing about, 30 seconds.  Incredible. How many lives did that save??
Not being a member of Twitter, I could view only the first post. This Nitter link might work (hit and miss - Nitter is now largely a dead project):

https://nitter.privacydev.net/cfishman/status/1773733488295882896#m