Author Topic: Ultra Processed Foods  (Read 7852 times)

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ultra Processed Foods
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2023, 10:50:47 am »
^ there seems to be a lot of resistance (in the comments section) to the general gist of these UPF articles in the Guardian for some reason, I suppose labeling something as addictive is quite a powerful statement.

Anyway

I did it  :D
I found it relatively easy but I got a lot of family support and I don't have a very time consuming schedule so I'm lucky in that regard.
I also ate pretty much the same thing every day for 30+ days to make it easier (also I had no big social events or work dinners etc), I also gave up booze except for a couple of vodka-sodas on Saturday night, you get a right buzz on when you haven't had a drink all week  ;D
So I lost 5kg - and my body fat went from 27% to 21%  (in 40+ days because I've continued into October).
I find it weird when people push so hard against this stuff when a lot of it is common sense.

The best thing that happened to my diet was having a kid and seeing lots of recipes that are just basic ingredients. It showed me it isn't that hard or time consuming to do. It just isn't the norm of what we have been brought up with any more.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: February 29, 2024, 08:30:54 am »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: February 29, 2024, 08:54:32 am »
Thats vegans fucked then.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: February 29, 2024, 09:16:06 am »
Thats vegans fucked then.

I don't think tofu and beans/pulses, are ultra processed.

Certainly, some of the meat alternative stuff, would be questionable, I think.

Not many vegans in the Fast Food thread, it seems.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 09:18:34 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: February 29, 2024, 09:43:50 am »
I don't think tofu and beans/pulses, are ultra processed.

Certainly, some of the meat alternative stuff, would be questionable, I think.

Not many vegans in the Fast Food thread, it seems.

The meat alternatives are Ultra, ultra processed.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: February 29, 2024, 09:56:15 am »
The meat alternatives are Ultra, ultra processed.

Yeah but veg and fruit aren't, most vegans I know don't buy the "like meat" stuff.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: February 29, 2024, 09:57:36 am »
Yeah but veg and fruit aren't, most vegans I know don't buy the "like meat" stuff.

Same, vegans and vegetarians I know don't eat that stuff at all really, it's people who eat meat but are trying to cut down on it that do.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #87 on: February 29, 2024, 10:06:45 am »
We’ve all got to die of something. Might as well be a Gregg’s steak bake (and post snack doorway session) that finishes me off.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #88 on: February 29, 2024, 10:11:03 am »
First step to tackling this is surely to make it easier to identify what is a UPF and what isn't?

I'm reasonably clued-up on food and nutrition, but there's far too many grey/no idea areas between what I 100% know are absolutely not UPF and 100% know are.

WRT to, say, ready-meals, there's a huge difference along the scale of these. Some won't be UPF.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 10:17:19 am by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: February 29, 2024, 10:16:00 am »

Love a good Pepper main.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: February 29, 2024, 10:20:22 am »
I actually think its quite easy not to eat ultra processed foods regularly. The only issue is there are some sneaky bastards in there, like supermarket bread.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: February 29, 2024, 10:31:06 am »
See, bacon is classed as 'processed' but not 'ultra-processed'. Yet ham is classed as ultra-processed.

Sausages are lumped in with 'ultra-processed' yet not all sausages are equal.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: February 29, 2024, 10:31:20 am »
We’ve all got to die of something. Might as well be a Gregg’s steak bake (and post snack doorway session) that finishes me off.

My first boss in IT had that attitude, had a heart attack and died on his office floor at 54. Reckon I'm on the same path unless I join a gym asap
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: February 29, 2024, 10:32:28 am »
My first boss in IT had that attitude, had a heart attack and died on his office floor at 54. Reckon I'm on the same path unless I join a gym asap

My advice to you, Rob, would be to join a gym asap

(and my advice to myself would be to do the fucking same!!)

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: February 29, 2024, 10:32:33 am »

Was his office a Greggs as well?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: February 29, 2024, 10:33:18 am »
See, bacon is classed as 'processed' but not 'ultra-processed'. Yet ham is classed as ultra-processed.

Sausages are lumped in with 'ultra-processed' yet not all sausages are equal.

I just assumed all sausages were ultra processed no matter the meat content.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: February 29, 2024, 10:33:34 am »
I eat homemade bread, but I've started to buy sourdough, from the shops.  It's really nice and doesn't bloat me out.

We're the same now since the wife bought the lad a breadmaker for Christmas, they eat white bread, I make my own wholemeal bread.

I just assumed all sausages were ultra processed no matter the meat content.

You can get proper sausages made in a butchers from fresh meat, I wouldn't class these as ultra processed
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: February 29, 2024, 10:34:55 am »
I eat homemade bread, but I've started to buy sourdough, from the shops.  It's really nice and doesn't bloat me out.

Yes I was going to get a bread maker. Mentioned it to the other half and he said he would get me it for Christmas but then I told him to fuck off if that was going to be my present.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: February 29, 2024, 10:35:19 am »
Yes I was going to get a bread maker. Mentioned it to the other half and he said he would get me it for Christmas but then I told him to fuck off if that was going to be my present.

;D

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: February 29, 2024, 10:39:32 am »
Love a good Pepper main.

Yeah making tasty vegan food is a lot of effort, my misses has tried so many and half are horrible, my sister is a full vegan and they make a full fish and chips, mushy mint peas using banana blossom which is really good.

We're trying to eat more veg, less meat and reduce our processed food. I've dropped a stone since Jan just making my own lunch rather than buying something from the shop.

I won't go full vegan though, love burgers far too much  :mooncat

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #100 on: February 29, 2024, 10:43:08 am »

Keep it light Rob.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #101 on: February 29, 2024, 11:12:40 am »
I assume when they say ham they mean the sliced packaged ham in supermarkets...the "sandwich" ham, not the sliced ham from the butcher type as that's literally a bit of animal right there in front of you

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #102 on: February 29, 2024, 12:48:42 pm »
Yeah making tasty vegan food is a lot of effort, my misses has tried so many and half are horrible, my sister is a full vegan and they make a full fish and chips, mushy mint peas using banana blossom which is really good.

We're trying to eat more veg, less meat and reduce our processed food. I've dropped a stone since Jan just making my own lunch rather than buying something from the shop.

I won't go full vegan though, love burgers far too much  :mooncat

There's loads of tasty stuff you can make. But if you are trying to make vegan dishes to resemble meat or fish, you are onto a loser. Try Ottolenghi's recipes (https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/aubergine-recipes). I swear every single one I try is a winner, and they embrace vegetables for what they are (vegetables, not meat). A lot of them do require a bit of time though.

I'm not a full vegan, or even a vegetarian, but the majority of what I cook at home is either vegan or veggie. I eat meat out (I also love a burger!).

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #103 on: February 29, 2024, 04:11:33 pm »
Yeah making tasty vegan food is a lot of effort
It doesn't have to be. We make a lot of (roasted) tray bakes. You just have to chop up the veg and everything gets done in the same tin/casserole dish. If you need some protein or you're not strictly vegan then you can add beans or chopped haloumi or fling on a fish steak for the last 20 minutes. There's something about the roasting process that make the veg extra tasty (I think it does something to the natural sugars). Onions and tomatoes are particularly yummy when roasted and if you fancy spicing it up, I'd recommend spreading harissa paste over some of the veg or the haloumi.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #104 on: February 29, 2024, 04:30:48 pm »
There's loads of tasty stuff you can make. But if you are trying to make vegan dishes to resemble meat or fish, you are onto a loser. Try Ottolenghi's recipes (https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/aubergine-recipes). I swear every single one I try is a winner, and they embrace vegetables for what they are (vegetables, not meat). A lot of them do require a bit of time though.

I'm not a full vegan, or even a vegetarian, but the majority of what I cook at home is either vegan or veggie. I eat meat out (I also love a burger!).
We were given one of Rukmini Iyer's books which I would also recommend.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: February 29, 2024, 04:43:49 pm »
It doesn't have to be. We make a lot of (roasted) tray bakes. You just have to chop up the veg and everything gets done in the same tin/casserole dish. If you need some protein or you're not strictly vegan then you can add beans or chopped haloumi or fling on a fish steak for the last 20 minutes. There's something about the roasting process that make the veg extra tasty (I think it does something to the natural sugars). Onions and tomatoes are particularly yummy when roasted and if you fancy spicing it up, I'd recommend spreading harissa paste over some of the veg or the haloumi.

Is Harissa paste ultra processed?

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #106 on: February 29, 2024, 04:56:55 pm »
Is Harissa paste ultra processed?
No idea! We buy the spices and make up the paste with olive oil and a bit of tomato puree. Not sure if the tomato puree is ultra processed  ;D

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #107 on: February 29, 2024, 07:05:04 pm »
My head still rings massively with the issue of confounding variables here.

Let’s look at red meant consumption. Red meat is bad for you right?  Possibly, but there’s no good evidence for that because we can’t separate out the confounding variables.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: February 29, 2024, 07:18:46 pm »
We were given one of Rukmini Iyer's books which I would also recommend.

We're working our way through two of them currently! I'd say 50/50 hit and miss, although halloumi makes any meal decent, untill I found out how unhealthy 1 block is!

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: February 29, 2024, 08:32:17 pm »
I have quite a few vegan friends and most are UPF free by default. They generally hate those fake meat products.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: February 29, 2024, 09:16:49 pm »

One of the most underrated foods, probably because of folk memories of it being boiled to death, is cabbage. Lightly roasted or baked, it really develops the sweetness and savoriness. Also kale, although as most of the flavour is in the stalk rather than the leaves, it's not quite as good as cabbage (which has more body where the flavour is).
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: February 29, 2024, 10:06:46 pm »
One of the most underrated foods, probably because of folk memories of it being boiled to death, is cabbage. Lightly roasted or baked, it really develops the sweetness and savoriness. Also kale, although as most of the flavour is in the stalk rather than the leaves, it's not quite as good as cabbage (which has more body where the flavour is).

A roasted wedge of cabbage, drizzled with good EVO and sprinkled with fennel seeds is a thing of joy. Especially if you get some nice caramelisation on it.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: February 29, 2024, 10:47:37 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/28/ultra-processed-food-32-harmful-effects-health-review?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Largest review of UPF to date links it to multiple illnesses and conditions.

Surprised a study like that would be released. The food industry has made a killing for these pharma companies through the illnesses caused by some of the garbage they sell that they call “food”. Glad to see there’s a bit of an awakening.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: March 1, 2024, 08:18:25 am »

Yes! I was put off so much veg growing up because it was boiled mush. Sprouts, broccoli, kale and cabbage are all delicious roasted/pan-fried. Especially when you add garlic and a bit of seasoning.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: March 1, 2024, 08:25:55 am »
Yes! I was put off so much veg growing up because it was boiled mush. Sprouts, broccoli, kale and cabbage are all delicious roasted/pan-fried. Especially when you add garlic and a bit of seasoning.

Or Franks Hot sauce which is quite low in carbs

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: March 1, 2024, 08:56:33 am »
Or Franks Hot sauce which is quite low in carbs

Awh, it’s great on everything! Cauliflower hot ‘wings’ especially. And it’s not UPF either.

I love sprouts roasted in olive oil with garlic, fennel seeds, chilli flakes, salt and a wee bit of honey.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: March 1, 2024, 01:52:15 pm »
Awh, it’s great on everything! Cauliflower hot ‘wings’ especially. And it’s not UPF either.

I love sprouts roasted in olive oil with garlic, fennel seeds, chilli flakes, salt and a wee bit of honey.

Yeah its fantastic, all natural ingredients and spices up veg a treat, I get through a bottle a week
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: March 1, 2024, 01:53:26 pm »
I use my wok for cooking, every day.  Loads of veg and different spices, with a bit of soy sauce.

You put any carbs (rice or noodles) with it ?

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: March 1, 2024, 02:15:29 pm »
I use my wok for cooking, every day.  Loads of veg and different spices, with a bit of soy sauce.

I have some oil, 3 eggs, frozen mixed veg and a packet of rice for my lunch every day!

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: March 1, 2024, 02:18:45 pm »
I have some oil, 3 eggs, frozen mixed veg and a packet of rice for my lunch every day!

I don't know. Frozen veg and dry rice. I'd try and cook that in some way.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly