Author Topic: Overrated?  (Read 43960 times)

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Overrated?
« Reply #720 on: May 24, 2021, 12:52:46 am »
Has it been said here before? But definitely Radiohead.

They do have good albums and good songs. They are objectively a good band.

But the groundbreaking pioneers they are hailed as? Nah, self-indulgent at worst and besides, their most 'groundbreaking' album Kid A just rips off Aphex Twin who's genuinely innovative and much much better. So not having that. And it's all just white middle class self-pitying lyrics, so no wonder they're massive in this country. Definitely need to be taken down a peg or two. Radiohead is the act that symbolises the self-importance and overhyped nature of the white middle class in the UK. For 90s bands, they're certainly no Nirvana who were raw in their emotions and spontaneous in their music.

For all the 90s British bands, I also much prefer apparently more unsophisticated acts like Oasis. Dodgy lyrics, a ripped off melody here and there, but there's no pretensions with their music and there's catchy tunes, emotive melodies - what you see is what you get. More honest and sincere than Radiohead.

Don't like white people?

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #721 on: May 24, 2021, 10:26:12 am »
Don't like white people?

Okay, to be more accurate on Radiohead, replace the term ‘white’ with self-pitying southern upper middle class posh boys.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #722 on: May 24, 2021, 12:43:54 pm »
the great escape

it wasn't that great and most of them never escaped  *sorry for the spoiler*

the germans in that camp 'stalag butlins' where all alright fellas - so why escape? regular meals and warm beds it was like mein holiday kampf

i would've been tunnelling to get IN there

and why oh why would they employ a tunnel guy who has a fear of enclosed spaces?

and then who do they employ to do the intricate job of making the forgeries? a partially-sighted guy who ended up going blind

the wheels were coming off - just like the tunnel train trollies - right from the start

a lot of them should have been shot for making such a cock-up of that escape - oh yeh they were, sorry about that  :wave

Personally I thought it was a good Blur Album

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #723 on: May 25, 2021, 02:51:52 am »
Difference between Oasis and Radiohead is that Oasis don't try to present it as something new, take it or leave it (a big chunk of it is leave it).

But listen to an interview with Thom Yorke and you will almost become ill with his self-reverential tones. An utter bore. Aphex Twin totally has their number considering he despises the band.

Thought Patrice O Neal got them spot on with this pisstake. Couldn't agree more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1qKy4cMPUI&t=187s

Aphex twin is a narcissistic, self indulgent proven serial liar. 
Not that I love all things Radiohead either but he's in no position to call anyone out. Most likely jealous.
That said lots of musicians are self important bores. Best just to enjoy the music and avoid the cult of personality.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #724 on: May 25, 2021, 12:44:53 pm »
self-important? narcissistic? indulgent?

yeh - sounds great

alt-prog with a hint of industrial nihilism - sign me up
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: June 10, 2021, 09:58:30 am »
Cocaine.

Come downs in your early 30's are no good. Went out Saturday and didn't touch the stuff and had the best hangover of my life on Sunday.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #726 on: June 10, 2021, 10:22:34 am »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #727 on: June 11, 2021, 11:35:54 pm »
Megan Thee Stallion. Shite manhead.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #728 on: October 30, 2021, 11:16:32 pm »
James Brown - love the music instrumentally. He just seems to try his best in every way to fuck it up.

The founding father of funk & hip hop. Fucked it up alright 😁

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #729 on: October 31, 2021, 10:03:18 pm »
U2

The Smiths

Bruce Springsteen

Frank Zappa

Oasis

Prince

Coldplay

Radiohead

Manic Street Preachers

Elbow

"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #730 on: October 31, 2021, 10:06:28 pm »
Coldplay are now so overrated that they risk being underrated… (and maybe U2?)

There’s quite a bit of music I listen back to and don’t get any more.  I think oasis are in that category .. and nirvana ….

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #731 on: November 1, 2021, 05:23:54 pm »
Star Trek series 480 (or it feels that way, as its never off some channel somewhere).
Lord of the Rings (Book) couldn't finish it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #732 on: November 2, 2021, 11:37:16 pm »
Astral Weeks : Van Morrison
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #733 on: November 3, 2021, 10:00:23 am »
Ed Sheeran...I don't get it. Maybe it's because I'm not 18 and female, not sure. But people tell me he's the greatest singer/song writer on the planet !!

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #734 on: November 3, 2021, 10:45:51 am »
Ed Sheeran...I don't get it. Maybe it's because I'm not 18 and female, not sure. But people tell me he's the greatest singer/song writer on the planet !!

I don’t get it either, I find him unbearable.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #735 on: November 3, 2021, 12:15:06 pm »
To write as many hits as he has - for himself and others - you've got to appreciate that he has a talent. It's broadly easy listening mush but some people like that stuff. I'm not sure he's 'overrated' as many half-serious musos don't rate him at all. He's just a commercial phenomenon.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: November 3, 2021, 01:47:43 pm »

:lmao

(sits and waits for Timbo :) )

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #737 on: November 3, 2021, 02:04:57 pm »
Commercial phenomena...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #738 on: November 3, 2021, 02:22:56 pm »

:D

Too right. Like the film Lost in Translation. 

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #739 on: November 3, 2021, 02:31:31 pm »

The very mention brings back memories of tediously boring sessions sitting around flats in Alexandra Drive pretending to be a fan.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: November 3, 2021, 05:17:55 pm »

I like him, he's really good at what he does and doesn't come across as a knobhead when you listen to his interviews. His music isn't to my taste, but I can appreciate that for the audience he has, its enjoyable. I do like Thinking Out Loud though, that's a cracking song.

I know all the words to Bad Habits as its on the radio station my missus listens to at roughly the same time every morning.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #741 on: November 3, 2021, 05:35:44 pm »
I like him, he's really good at what he does and doesn't come across as a knobhead when you listen to his interviews. His music isn't to my taste, but I can appreciate that for the audience he has, its enjoyable. I do like Thinking Out Loud though, that's a cracking song.

I know all the words to Bad Habits as its on the radio station my missus listens to at roughly the same time every morning.

Heart by any chance? My daughter knows every word too. Infuriating.

Kind of agree with recent comments. I think the backlash is because of how inexplicably popular he’s become, not necessarily because he’s the worst singer/songwriter ever.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #742 on: November 3, 2021, 05:48:57 pm »
Heart by any chance? My daughter knows every word too. Infuriating.

Kind of agree with recent comments. I think the backlash is because of how inexplicably popular he’s become, not necessarily because he’s the worst singer/songwriter ever.

Rock FM - missus loves to listen to Joel and Olivia, he's ex Heart I believe. Playlists will be identical, I almost know all the words to This Aint a heartbreak song by Gueta and little mix :butt

Its a UK thing, anyone who gets popular has to be volleyed in the bollocks and put down.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #743 on: November 3, 2021, 06:08:58 pm »
Nah, this doesn't add up. Nirvana still get play to this day even by the younger generation, The Jam are the epitome of a Brexit band and thus should be forgotten.

Just catching up on the thread and found this. What on earth does that mean? Songs with lyrics about police brutality, random right-wing violence, criticising the public-school elite and generally being left-wing and pro-youth doesn't really make them a Brexit band whatever the fuck that is. I remember In the City coming on the jukebox (one for the kids there) when it was released and loved the energy.

Paul Weller is still anti-Tory now and was one of the leaders of Red Wedge in the eighties.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #744 on: November 3, 2021, 06:29:39 pm »

Wouldnt know an Ed Sheeran song if i fell over it but i think hes boss from little bits ive seen of him talking on tv

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #745 on: November 3, 2021, 06:30:09 pm »

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #746 on: November 5, 2021, 06:13:20 pm »
Wouldnt know an Ed Sheeran song if i fell over it but i think hes boss from little bits ive seen of him talking on tv

Ok looks like I’ve been out voted on the Sheeran issue 🤷🏻‍♂️😁

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #747 on: November 6, 2021, 12:17:13 pm »

He's an absolute fraud. Fuck him.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: November 6, 2021, 12:25:10 pm »
'Galway Girl' should be listed as a hate crime.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: November 8, 2021, 08:54:42 am »
Star Wars. Absolutely dreadful. I could never understand what's all the fuss about.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #750 on: November 8, 2021, 09:11:49 am »
Star Wars. Absolutely dreadful. I could never understand what's all the fuss about.

I loved Star Wars, but then again in 1977 I was the target age. Its been a bit ruined by people trying to make it into something it's not. Its got brilliant special effects, we'd seen nothing like it in the 70's and its a proper good v bad shoot em up, blow things up kids film.

He's an absolute fraud. Fuck him.

He's releasing a Christmas single with Elton John and its a proper Christmas song, not just a song released in December, you'll love it ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #751 on: November 8, 2021, 11:47:24 am »
Casa del Papel, its a soap masquerading as a tv series. An amazing premise at the start of the show, a very diligent man whose rarely made mistakes in his mind. Weirdly he picks a bunch of misfits to carry out this meticulously planned heist. then he starts to forget shit like cleaning the car and starts to get close to a police officer. Basically by the middle of season 1, the show is ruined, after that its just a soap opera about love, romance and stupidity - like watching a telenovela or eastenders really. Everyone who claims its good, says that because they've wasted their time and investment in a substandard tv show that is hyped and they can't let go.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: November 8, 2021, 01:02:21 pm »
He's releasing a Christmas single with Elton John and its a proper Christmas song, not just a song released in December, you'll love it ;D

As if there's any further reason to dislike him :P

To be fair, whenever I've seen him interviewed, he seems a decent fellow and I'm sure I must've heard some of his songs before but can't for the life of me remember any of them, even Galway Girl which a lot of people find egregious.

He seems to be fairly bland would it be fair to say?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #753 on: November 8, 2021, 03:45:32 pm »
As if there's any further reason to dislike him :P

To be fair, whenever I've seen him interviewed, he seems a decent fellow and I'm sure I must've heard some of his songs before but can't for the life of me remember any of them, even Galway Girl which a lot of people find egregious.

He was shite in Game of Thrones.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: November 8, 2021, 07:04:42 pm »
He was shite in Game of Thrones.

Ha!

Anyone know a good song of his?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #755 on: November 9, 2021, 01:14:03 pm »
It's not media or arts, but I heard so many people raving about Tim Hortons. Tried it yesterday, it was shite. Extremely overrated like most American brands.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: November 9, 2021, 01:16:18 pm »

Yea he's bland, but for some reason bland is what the masses go for.

???
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #757 on: November 9, 2021, 01:21:53 pm »
Ed Sheeran is shite, he's a popified commercially agreeable version of the far, far superior songwriter Damien Rice. Sheeran literally wishes he was as talented. What he's good at is writing formulaic tunes that he doesn't give a shit about but knows hit certain points on a songwriting matrix that guarantees they'll chart highly and sell well.

When he was up and coming, he wrote some decent tunes - A Team etc, but he's gone more and more predictable and is now just a money-making exercise.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #758 on: November 9, 2021, 01:49:04 pm »
Power the TV boring lasted 3 eps

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #759 on: November 9, 2021, 01:54:06 pm »
This dislike of Sheeran is bizarre. What exactly has he done to cause such explosions of emotion from so many?  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"