Author Topic: 2021 in Music  (Read 42814 times)

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
Re: 2021 in Music
« Reply #720 on: November 28, 2021, 11:42:39 am »
Clicking a distortion pedal, pulling up a couple of chords historically has brought up some magic. But sometimes stuff needs to be recognized for what it is. Like in this case. Crap. Every band isn’t talented. Like with writers. Some wants to be poets and live the lifestyle. Some are posers who try to hide their lack of talent by trying to have a vibe. In this case.The distortion. The wannabe «psychadelic» Jim Morrison mid part of that piece. They probably think they’ve got something to say. They don’t. My band when I was 13 were better.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #721 on: November 28, 2021, 11:51:11 am »
My band when I was 13 were better.

Post it. Could do with a laugh to take me into Sunday afternoon, and Everton don't kick off til 2pm.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #722 on: November 28, 2021, 12:02:28 pm »
When I was 16 I was in punk band in 1977....well...me and a mate in his bedroom one Sunday afternoon...sadly no tapes survived...we could have changed music as we know it.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #723 on: November 28, 2021, 12:04:22 pm »
I would recommend you to watch that video and analyze it again. What do they actually do? What’s good in it that not any person with a guitar could do after a couple of weeks’ practise and a few trips to a second hand clothes’ store? And when it comes to musical ideas. Are these the guys you would waste an argument on?

No tapes survived from my band when I was 13 either. I was a decent drummer. Our guitar player though, was amazing. Shredding. Like a young Duncan Edwards. Only with a guitar.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 12:12:13 pm by Raaphael »

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: November 28, 2021, 12:10:39 pm »
"If Gnod did not exist, it would be necessary to invent them"
                                              - Cabaret Voltaire , 1768

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: November 28, 2021, 12:42:55 pm »

:lmao
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #726 on: November 28, 2021, 04:16:12 pm »

Cissie: Oooh I don't like these do you?
Ada: Not a bit. Alt rock apparantly. What is alt rock anyway?
Cissie: Maybe it's salt rock?
Ada: Maybe.
Cissie: What are they doing now?
Ada: He's a bit of a poser isn't he?
Cissie: They can't even play their instruments.
Ada: Anybody could do this Cissie... come on, let's stick that Smashing Pumpkins album on again.
Cissie: I'll put the kettle on.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #727 on: November 28, 2021, 05:02:58 pm »
I’m sorry. But the point stands. They’re crap. And deep down you probably know this yourself. Be honest.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #728 on: November 29, 2021, 07:21:39 am »
I’m sorry. But the point stands. They’re crap. And deep down you probably know this yourself. Be honest.

Get over yourself Raaph. Nobody is interested in your 4th form music criticism. It's embarrassing to watch you attempt it. You need boxes to put music in - a tick here, and a tick there, and when you can't find a suitable box to put it all in, you come out with the only attack mode you've got : this childish 'talentless' bollocks. You sound like an aunt.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #729 on: November 29, 2021, 09:29:01 am »
The big long song off Henki might be the only tune I'm listening to ever again. The piano and synths are gorgeous. One of the best vocals he's ever written too.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2Ids9MRbv9o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2Ids9MRbv9o</a>

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #730 on: November 29, 2021, 02:59:22 pm »
Get over yourself Raaph. Nobody is interested in your 4th form music criticism. It's embarrassing to watch you attempt it. You need boxes to put music in - a tick here, and a tick there, and when you can't find a suitable box to put it all in, you come out with the only attack mode you've got : this childish 'talentless' bollocks. You sound like an aunt.

Sorry that I`ve hurt your feelings. If you want to comfort yourself that this is about me not "getting" it, that`s fine. That`s an easy way to be "open" to everything and perceive all music as interesting. I disagree though. I`ve been through my Throbbing Gristle albums. I don`t need boxes.

When it comes to Gnod: I read a quote that they concider themselves "an outlet for musical projects and meanderings by Gnodheads past, present & future and friends of Gnod all over the world", which can also be translated as "we don`t have any musical talent, but it`s kind of cool to be part of this art scene. Some might think we have a Kevin Shields-factor and actually be fooled".

Dime a dozen, forgettable posers.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: November 29, 2021, 05:04:07 pm »
The only poser here Raaph is you. 'I've been thru my Throbbing Gristle albums' is a t-shirt in the offing if ever there was one. Nowhere did I even mention that you're not getting it. This would be easier to discuss if one day you could develop at least a sense of humour and maybe do something about that enormous chip on your shoulder.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: November 29, 2021, 05:08:29 pm »
That’s fine. I really don’t understand why you care. A guy said a band you liked was crap. Life goes on.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: November 29, 2021, 05:15:59 pm »
That’s fine. I really don’t understand why you care. A guy said a band you liked was crap. Life goes on.

I love how you've pulled this one out of the hat after you tried to forget about me taking the piss out of Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins some while back. Bless you for trying tho ;D

I don`t know that I`ve spoken to you before, but if you rate garbage like the band above that would make sense. If it helps, I think the last Smashing Pumpkins album is really bad, but at least they have talent.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: November 29, 2021, 05:28:38 pm »
Wow. I really hit a nerve. Are you a member of the band?

When it comes to Smashing Pumpkins. Yes, I like their early stuff especially. I don`t really listen to them a lot these days though. I have obviously from what you said mentioned them here before since you remember it  but didn`t know I had become a spokesperson for them. I have mentioned other bands here as well. You seem to think I have some personal beef with you, but I don`t keep track on who I`m talking to on this forum. I don`t know who you are. 

But, if you are in Gnod. Come on. You know I`m right. It`s cool to be in a band. I get it. Sorry.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 05:39:06 pm by Raaphael »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: November 29, 2021, 05:48:23 pm »
Wow. I really hit a nerve. Are you a member of the band?

:lmao I've had a lifetime of people having a go at my music... 35 years and counting... none so chippy or as inept tho. Fair fucks.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: November 29, 2021, 05:50:34 pm »

'I went thru my Throbbing Gristle albums earlier'

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: November 29, 2021, 05:53:01 pm »
That was a serious question. You might be in the band. You felt very strongly about them. Anyway.

Listen, have a nice evening.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #738 on: November 29, 2021, 06:13:08 pm »

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: November 29, 2021, 06:49:03 pm »
Yis are ruining Henki week here. Should have been the album to unite the thread for the end of year poll. We all know you're a member of Gnod, filler. We've known for years. it's obvious - Gnod this, Gnod that - always with the nods to Gnod. And Raaphael, Gnod are an excellent punk band - it being not technically proficient enough for you doesn't make it less so. In fact the roots of punk grew out of a counterpoint to how inaccessible music became to all but those that had that technical proficiency, something a bit more primal, direct and confrontational that's open to all, not just guitar wankers. Probably just not your taste in punk - that's totally fine. You've made up your mind about them after one tune. I do it all the time and dismiss stuff out of hand, mostly commercial stuff I can't escape or I couldn't he bothered with. So I'm not saying you're wrong. Now move on.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: November 29, 2021, 07:03:38 pm »
You should see Gnod live..they're on tour with Sunn and Hole , Goat.

I'll get me coat.

There's a band called Holy Ghost. You could have saved yourself hassle there

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: November 29, 2021, 07:07:03 pm »
Ok try this one...

Gnod, the Filler, the Sunn and the Holy Ghost...

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #742 on: November 29, 2021, 07:09:17 pm »
Yis are ruining Henki week here. Should have been the album to unite the thread for the end of year poll. We all know you're a member of Gnod, filler. We've known for years. it's obvious - Gnod this, Gnod that - always with the nods to Gnod. And Raaphael, Gnod are an excellent punk band - it being not technically proficient enough for you doesn't make it less so. In fact the roots of punk grew out of a counterpoint to how inaccessible music became to all but those that had that technical proficiency, something a bit more primal, direct and confrontational that's open to all, not just guitar wankers. Probably just not your taste in punk - that's totally fine. You've made up your mind about them after one tune. I do it all the time and dismiss stuff out of hand, mostly commercial stuff I can't escape or I couldn't he bothered with. So I'm not saying you're wrong. Now move on.

I don`t put technical proficiency as the standard for what makes a good band. I`ve never said that. A lot of great music has come from people who could barely play their instruments. And a lot of crap music has come from people who could barely play their instruments. But you can`t critisise bands anymore. Everyone`s interesting.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 07:13:47 pm by Raaphael »

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: November 29, 2021, 07:14:09 pm »
I don`t put technical proficiency as the standard for what makes a good band. I`ve never said that.

You did dude. Read your original posts  anything an 8 year old could do etc.. Anyway - I'm not getting dragged in. They're decent if you give them a chance.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: November 29, 2021, 07:27:36 pm »
You did dude. Read your original posts  anything an 8 year old could do etc.. Anyway - I'm not getting dragged in. They're decent if you give them a chance.

Yes, if a band doesn`t have anything else as well, that will annoy me. I don`t think they have. In the same sense that a technically good band doesn`t need to be anything special just because they are good players, a technically limited band isn`t necessarily interesting just because it`s concidered punk to have limited playing skills. You`ll find crap in any category. However, I`ll give them a chance. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 07:31:36 pm by Raaphael »

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #745 on: November 29, 2021, 08:51:05 pm »
Can't say I've any idea how you'd be able to assess/measure whether a piece of music (or any other art for that matter) was objectively good or bad, but that's not really what it's about is it...?! Surely it's about how it makes you as an individual (or as part of a collective) feel, which is entirely subjective. What's the aural version of 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'? I'm sure that there'd be someone out there to tell me that pretty much any piece of music that moves me/makes me move is crap, bad, or whatever. Similarly, there's loads out there that might be considered 'high brow' that doesn't affect me in any way whatsoever.

These threads are usually nicer places to be, and tend to avoid the belittling tone - 'live & let live'.  Suddenly feels like the F1 thread.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #746 on: November 29, 2021, 10:49:57 pm »
That was a serious question. You might be in the band. You felt very strongly about them. Anyway.

Listen, have a nice evening.

FWIW, I like them... I have 3 albums of theirs, maybe 4. Live the other week was a good old fashioned thrash punk wig-out with friends after we've all had to suffer this fecking pandemic. So yeah I'm going to celebrate it. You remind me of Edwina Currie a bit. You have a good evening too old bean. And remember... remember to forget me again next time.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #747 on: November 29, 2021, 10:54:24 pm »
Can't say I've any idea how you'd be able to assess/measure whether a piece of music (or any other art for that matter) was objectively good or bad, but that's not really what it's about is it...?! Surely it's about how it makes you as an individual (or as part of a collective) feel, which is entirely subjective. What's the aural version of 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'? I'm sure that there'd be someone out there to tell me that pretty much any piece of music that moves me/makes me move is crap, bad, or whatever. Similarly, there's loads out there that might be considered 'high brow' that doesn't affect me in any way whatsoever.

There are always ways of being able to exchange critical ideas about any form in the arts, but you can't debate people who are chippy and humourless ever. If you've got your feet welded in cement you can't wriggle about. It's 2+2=4 with some people. tick, tick, tick =

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: November 30, 2021, 05:16:46 am »
That’s such a weak argument. I’ve never said anything about ticking boxes. You’re talking about humour, but you sound rattled. Come on man, you’re posting Harry Maguire pictures. You’re writing «dialogue». That’s desperation. When it comes to musical critique and critique in general I would usually agree that it should be explained and examinated, but sometimes that has brought an over-intellectualization to stuff that does not deserve to be in that category. Originally punk and rock wasn’t a University major.
From your reaction I’ll guess you probably need this.

Enjoy your Gnod albums.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 05:38:03 am by Raaphael »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: November 30, 2021, 06:43:55 am »
Good grief Raaph you don't half talk out of your arse ;D. Literally every word you write is a word pulled out of your backside, like one of your Rammstein dildo's. And everytime you get caught out by your mum.

Let's put this bollocks to bed... you have the last word on it, so I can have the last laugh OK? Go...

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #750 on: November 30, 2021, 09:49:52 am »
I love coming to this thread to find new music, I never really found it a place to critique other people's tastes, there are plenty of other threads for arguments.

It hasn't half been taken over by a boring bastard.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #751 on: November 30, 2021, 03:00:39 pm »
My original focus was about the band, Gnod and that they were shit. I’m sorry that it escalated into a debate about any posters general taste. I have no idea what else you guys listen to. You might listen to great stuff as well. I’m not saying your overall taste is shit. I don’t know.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #752 on: November 30, 2021, 06:15:32 pm »
Can we just talk about Henki please?

It is on the Tim Burgess Listening Party tonight at 7pm. It’s private as per below.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 07:05:06 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: November 30, 2021, 06:56:49 pm »
Can we just talk about Henki please?

It is on the Tim Burgess Listening Party tonight at 7pm.

Have made the Richard Dawson thread base of operations for Henki appreciation. This thread is lost.

The listening party is a private thing. I have sick kids, can't log on if you want my invite?

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #754 on: November 30, 2021, 07:05:23 pm »
Have made the Richard Dawson thread base of operations for Henki appreciation. This thread is lost.

The listening party is a private thing. I have sick kids, can't log on if you want my invite?

Amazing - thank you 🙏
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #755 on: November 30, 2021, 08:10:49 pm »
In other news, Rolo Tomassi has released their next album for february 4th, 2022. A couple of songs are already out.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: December 8, 2021, 06:36:25 pm »
I'm loving the slow drip release of the new Beach House album. Part 2 of 4 out yesterday and is a pleasant change from their usual sound. Already feels like a strong contender for my 2022 album of the year!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #757 on: December 12, 2021, 11:53:34 am »
Been enjoying a few bits of Bleachers that I’ve listened to recently.
Chinatown with Springsteen is a top track.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #758 on: December 13, 2021, 06:06:01 pm »
New Fleet Foxes album out. Not had a chance to listen to it yet, but know there are a few fans in here

Edit: got this a bit wrong. It’s a live album from the main singer/guitarist
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 10:25:30 pm by dasher, dancer, prancer, vixen, comet, cupid, duvva &blitzen »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: December 15, 2021, 11:07:15 am »
Late contender for my albums of the year list, but I only came across this by chance the other day... LÜP by Lomond Campbell

Apparently, he lives by the shore of a loch in a remote part of the Highlands and spends his time custom-building 'music machines'. What a lifestyle. Niche-interest stuff, perhaps, but really fascinating with some great sounds. Well worth checking out.

https://www.lomondcampbell.com/lup
https://lomondcampbell.bandcamp.com/album/l-p-2

‘LŪP’ came about when Campbell was commissioned to build a custom tape-looper for prolific Fife-based independent singer-songwriter King Creosote. He tells us “I wanted the machine to embody the compositional ideas of the two esteemed New York avant-garde composers – William Basinski and Steve Reich. It plays 12-second tape loops which ‘disintegrate’ over time as the tape passes near to a rotating magnetic disc. This rotating disc also provides a clock and drives two eccentric cams which sends out ever-shifting phase patterns. You can hook the machine up to a modular synthesizer and process the disintegrating tape loops while generating Reichian phase-shifting patterns.”

<strokes chin appreciatively>