Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 454250 times)

Offline ElDuderino

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #280 on: July 26, 2019, 01:14:15 am »
AEW's show on TNT starts October 2nd, which is a Wednesday. They have a 2 hour time slot which will probably be wittled down to 90 mins with ads. All the best to them. If you actually like wrestling then everyone should want this to succeed as competition is the only way the scene is going to get any better.

As a person who has just about anything better to do than listen to WWE's fucking quarterly being exactly what it was always going to be, this is a thing that is at least news. Certainly something. Probably be nothing, but I'll give it a go for about three weeks. My worry is the nerds will ruin it. Yeah I know, I have to say Cody is the worst or else this'll get hijacked by a certain someone, but how do people cheer him? He's such a natural heel, acts a heel (other than that sledgehammer thing), and yet people cheer him? Because we know he's in charge? It's just nerds cheering themselves on for reading the nerd news. Outsiders will come in, hear people cheering for this baddy, and fuck off and watch something that makes any sense.

EDIT- Badly put, but I quite like Cody. Don't have a problem with him in charge, but bored of people ignoring what happens in the ring/on the show so they can look like an absolute twitter legend. It's the wrestling version of bantz. Next time I watch a crime show, I'm gonna get pissed off at the camera man for not coming forward.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:17:44 am by ElDuderino »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #281 on: July 26, 2019, 11:31:08 am »
People are getting behind Cody because he's been treated badly by WWE in the past and he's one of the driving forces behind a new wrestling option.  It doesn't help that he's booking himself in a weird tweener spot, being a heel but pandering to the crowd with the promo at the end of the match with Dustin, or smashing the HHH chair.

Think it'll eventually even out and he'll fall one way or the other once their TV shows get underway.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #282 on: July 26, 2019, 12:53:10 pm »
People are getting behind Cody because he's been treated badly by WWE in the past and he's one of the driving forces behind a new wrestling option.  It doesn't help that he's booking himself in a weird tweener spot, being a heel but pandering to the crowd with the promo at the end of the match with Dustin, or smashing the HHH chair.

Think it'll eventually even out and he'll fall one way or the other once their TV shows get underway.

How was he treated badly by WWE...? Not saying he wasn’t like, but what happened?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #283 on: July 26, 2019, 12:56:58 pm »
How was he treated badly by WWE...? Not saying he wasn’t like, but what happened?

They wouldn't let him use his dad's name once he left the company, the usual petty bullshit.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: July 26, 2019, 12:58:34 pm »
They wouldn't let him use his dad's name once he left the company, the usual petty bullshit.

They did?

https://lastwordonprowrestling.com/2018/09/28/cody-rhodes-name/
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #285 on: July 26, 2019, 01:01:07 pm »
They did?

https://lastwordonprowrestling.com/2018/09/28/cody-rhodes-name/

From that same article:

While he’s free and clear to use the name at present, there were definitely issues previously, as in early 2017, he mentioned to Sports Illustrated in an interview that ” I don’t mind that WWE took away my last name. Deep down, in my bones, I definitely want it back – and I have plans to get it back – but there is something to being Cody. The longer I don’t have a last name, the more I’m OK with it. That’s not to say WWE is holding it ransom.” He went on to specify that it was simply an IP issue that could easily be solved.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: July 26, 2019, 01:06:47 pm »
Right?  ;D

The article kind of sounds like Cody himself called bullshit on that whole thing?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #287 on: July 26, 2019, 01:09:41 pm »
Right?  ;D

The article kind of sounds like Cody himself called bullshit on that whole thing?

Or he's just trying to rise above it now and let it all go since he's established himself without having to use the Rhodes name.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: July 26, 2019, 02:44:11 pm »
I thought it was that he hated the Stardust gimmick and he just wanted to play himself on TV?

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: July 26, 2019, 03:55:26 pm »
I thought it was that he hated the Stardust gimmick and he just wanted to play himself on TV?

That's what I thought, I didn't know about the Rhodes thing and had never heard it before.

I thunk he wanted to do this last two years (Dusty tribute act) in WWE and they weren't into it at all. Which is wild because they usually love that shit.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #290 on: July 26, 2019, 04:13:38 pm »
Surely he should be released for this, it's far from his first offence too.

Pensacola, FL, TV station WEAR-TV released more information from the police report regarding Jimmy Uso's arrest Thursday morning for DUI and an unlawful speeding citation.

Uso (Jonathan Fatu) is scheduled in court on August 15th and was given a bond of $1000.

At 1:30 AM, an off-duty officer advised an Escambia County Sheriff’s Office deputy about a vehicle driving in excess of 100 mph on Interstate 10, drifting from left to right and going out of its lane. The car eventually pulled into Ticket Sports Bar but by the time the deputy arrived, it had left. The deputy later saw the vehicle turn onto Highway 297A, rapidly accelerating (clocked at 86 mph in a 45 mph) and coming very close to hitting another vehicle.

After the deputy pulled Fatu over, he noted Fatu had issues holding his license, registration, and proof of insurance. He had bloodshot and watery eyes, droopy eyelids, dilated pupils, and slow/slurred speech according to the deputy.

The deputy said he could smell an alcoholic beverage from the driver side window and asked Fatu several times to step out of the car. When he did, he appeared to be unsteady and the deputy asked him to ride with him to a flat parking lot to do a field sobriety test. Fatu agreed and then was reportedly confused and didn't know what was happening, asking if he needed a lawyer and if he was being detained.

According to the report, Fatu took out his phone and attempted to put it toward the deputy's face. At that point, he was arrested for DUI and became uncooperative, eventually getting into the police vehicle after being asked several times.

Fatu said he was uncomfortable with the police vehicle and wanted to speak with another deputy. The arresting officer said he had to roll down his back windows due to the overwhelming smell of alcohol in the car.

WWE's statement Thursday: "Jonathan Fatu is responsible for his own personal actions."

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: July 26, 2019, 04:18:43 pm »
Surely he should be released for this, it's far from his first offence too.

Rehab first, give him a chance to turn it around.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #292 on: July 26, 2019, 04:26:24 pm »
Rehab first, give him a chance to turn it around.

Why would they offer rehab now, this is his third strike, 2011 and 2013 before.  And didn't he almost get into a fight with a cop a while back?  He's a scumbag and that response from WWE doesn't really suggest they're bothered.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #293 on: July 26, 2019, 04:54:32 pm »
The Fatu family are as synonymous with wrestling as the Harts. He's not getting released over this.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #294 on: July 26, 2019, 05:02:05 pm »
One for those that follow UK wrestlers at NXT

Tegan Nox made her return at the last taping.

At the Mae Young Classic she suffered a Dislocated kneecap, Torn MCL and LCL, Torn ACL, Both meniscuses torn, Bone contusions , and she Fractured her left tibia.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #295 on: July 26, 2019, 05:09:35 pm »
She'd had injuries before was well, from what I remember.  Hopefully she's past that now, wrestlers can carry on after some pretty severe injuries.

So Mark Andrews (the flippy little Welsh dude) has a band, and not only are they awful, but this promo video is even worse.  Guest appearances from a few familiar faces.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nzcBtJkZH9M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nzcBtJkZH9M</a>

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: July 26, 2019, 05:18:55 pm »
Why would they offer rehab now, this is his third strike, 2011 and 2013 before.  And didn't he almost get into a fight with a cop a while back?  He's a scumbag and that response from WWE doesn't really suggest they're bothered.

The last one being 6 years ago makes me think he was doing ok and corrected his behavior. Of course it could also mean nobody caught him.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: July 26, 2019, 11:48:29 pm »
The last one being 6 years ago makes me think he was doing ok and corrected his behavior. Of course it could also mean nobody caught him.

I mean he did drunkenly attack a police officer earlier this year too

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: July 27, 2019, 12:19:08 am »
I mean he did drunkenly attack a police officer earlier this year too

He didn't drive though!

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #299 on: July 27, 2019, 04:00:01 am »
Didn't he get a DUI in January and then attack a cop while drunk in February? Mocked the whole thing on Monday night too and then got another DUI on Thursday. Chap is clearly a scumbag.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: July 27, 2019, 04:09:01 am »
Didn't he get a DUI in January

That was Jey - are you saying all samoans look alike you damned racist!

joke!

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: July 27, 2019, 05:45:57 pm »
He didn't drive though!

There was some funny questions over Naomi though who was driving down a one way road.

Blamed it on Detroit but I mean these guys are Carneys of course they would lie

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #302 on: July 28, 2019, 10:24:23 am »
Where do the years go. Triple h is 50
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #303 on: July 28, 2019, 11:44:29 am »
That was Jey - are you saying all samoans look alike you damned racist!

joke!

Jimmy "just" got nicked for Disordly Conduct back in Feb..  alcohol was involved it seems but wasn't a DUI

https://www.complex.com/sports/2019/02/jimmy-uso-arrested-disorderly-conduct

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #304 on: July 28, 2019, 12:23:45 pm »
Where do the years go. Triple h is 50

Well he's been Terra Ryzin opponents for a while now
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: August 1, 2019, 09:00:58 pm »
RIP Harley Race.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: August 2, 2019, 07:59:08 pm »
AEW's first ever TV taping that is set for Wednesday night 2/10 has been sold out in a 14k arena in DC and they will release a couple of thousand tix more. For comparison, RAW will be held a month earlier in the same market in Baltimore and tons of tickets are still in sale.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: August 2, 2019, 08:21:54 pm »
AEW's first ever TV taping that is set for Wednesday night 2/10 has been sold out in a 14k arena in DC and they will release a couple of thousand tix more. For comparison, RAW will be held a month earlier in the same market in Baltimore and tons of tickets are still in sale.

Using that logic, if AEW ever do less than 14k they've failed.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #308 on: August 3, 2019, 10:12:20 am »
Yep! They're doing very well. The arena actually holds 20k and there will be as much demand as they need to fill it out if they want. Despite being in the US capital there's never been a Raw or Smackdown held in that arena, so they picked a location with a crowd hungry for a big live show.

Will be interesting to see where they book the next few TV tapings too. WWE book their Raws and Smackdown 2 years in advance so its a lot less interesting to see where they're going

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: August 4, 2019, 12:31:37 am »
Been really enjoying this fantasy draft (don't vote against me you salacious assholes) we've been doing, anyone want to do something similar in here?

I saw a survivor series one we could redo, but failing that I'm open to suggestions.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: August 4, 2019, 09:08:02 am »
Nice idea but it wouldn’t really be fair. Whoever picks first, picks Dean Ambrose and then it’s over.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: August 4, 2019, 10:49:09 am »
Unavailable as Moxley has just been booked on the next Jericho Cruise.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: August 4, 2019, 06:17:28 pm »
Yep! They're doing very well. The arena actually holds 20k and there will be as much demand as they need to fill it out if they want. Despite being in the US capital there's never been a Raw or Smackdown held in that arena, so they picked a location with a crowd hungry for a big live show.

Will be interesting to see where they book the next few TV tapings too. WWE book their Raws and Smackdown 2 years in advance so its a lot less interesting to see where they're going
There has been a ton of wrestling events held in this arena from WWE and WCW. This arena hosted Smackdown's 20th anniversary show if I remember (the one where Evolution had their mini reunion) about a year ago and for a couple of years was the site of RAW's go home show before Mania.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: August 5, 2019, 08:22:57 am »
Hmmm in the marketing they were acting like there's never been a televised show there, that might've been just a roundabout way of saying 'for AEW' but then that'd be a moot point wouldn't it!

Also RIP Harley Race. Trevor Murdoch said that Vince paid the fees for him to get a medical flight to another facility somewhere else in the US, which gave him 2 more days of life and allowed a few more people to see him before he passed away.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: August 7, 2019, 08:59:07 am »
RIP Harley Race.
i completely missed this

an icon in the sport.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #315 on: August 7, 2019, 10:57:50 am »
i completely missed this

an icon in the sport.

I remember Harley Race managing Lex Luger & Vader in the early 90's and did a good job of getting them over as heels. I never realised until years later what a decorated career he'd had. Always hear some good stories about him in shoot interviews.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: August 7, 2019, 02:01:41 pm »
I remember Harley Race managing Lex Luger & Vader in the early 90's and did a good job of getting them over as heels. I never realised until years later what a decorated career he'd had. Always hear some good stories about him in shoot interviews.
read he was a legitimate tough guy

he caused controversy when managing Vader who was feuding with Ron Simmons (aka Faarooq) saying in a storyline "when i was champion people like you carried my bags". though i think Faarooq did agree for it to be used for storyline purposes.

also said he regrets inventing the diving headbutt given dynamite kid and chris benoit had physical problems possibly resulting from it.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #317 on: August 8, 2019, 03:01:02 pm »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: August 8, 2019, 04:12:46 pm »
I have read Bill Eadie (Demolition Ax) slammed him too

good friends

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #319 on: August 11, 2019, 03:23:20 pm »
he caused controversy when managing Vader who was feuding with Ron Simmons (aka Faarooq) saying in a storyline "when i was champion people like you carried my bags". though i think Faarooq did agree for it to be used for storyline purposes.

I watched that on YouTube earlier, Harley knew how to generate heat.