Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 315623 times)

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Cody Mathès Gakpo
« Reply #3800 on: March 18, 2024, 11:25:19 am »
Why do you think there's a pile on, though?  Surely if most of RAWK think that he had a shocker, then there's some truth in it?  It's not like it's a couple of posters who have previously slated him endlessly, this is the general consensus of his performance yesterday.

I agree he’s been poor and there are question marks. But we didn’t lose because of him - he didn’t even start.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3801 on: March 18, 2024, 11:27:15 am »
I agree he’s been poor and there are question marks. But we didn’t lose because of him - he didn’t even start.

Agree with that.  But the bare minimum supporters want from players, especially in a game like this, is to show some desire and drive.  Both were lacking in his play and he was just so casual out there.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #3802 on: March 18, 2024, 11:28:07 am »
It's not like he's not assisted and scored a lot this season, it's just that when he does play, he seems to get his head down and not look for the better option / pass, and half the time he's just hitting and hoping or looking for a shot that isn't there.

Doesn't link with his team mates anywhere near as well as other players. Was absolutely not at fault for us getting beat yesterday though, baffled he's getting grief for the loss.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #3803 on: March 18, 2024, 11:50:41 am »
Thing with Gakpo is there is a possibility we went a bit galaxy brain with him in that we saw he had some technical attributes and thought thats all we need and we can mould him into what we wanted. Problem was he wasnt really strong on pressing be it effectiveness or volume and he hadnt played in the role we wanted him to. He also wasnt very quick and that ruled him out playing out wide.

With Jota, whilst he was inconsistent, he was an excellent presser even at Wolves and he could score goals. He just had to add consistency. With Gakpo its like we have had to bring his level and ability up in several different areas as well as change his position.

I thought Gakpo did really well at pressing last season when he first came, it was noticeable he’d gained Klopp’s trust over Darwin because he was superior in this regard at that time, he does appear to have regressed in that sense, though.

The reason it’s mad that we signed him and had him as this project 9 is we already had that in Darwin. Jota’s best position is also probably as the central forward in the side. So why we decided to sign another when we knew we had Darwin who could be world class and Jota who could be world class both at the club, it seemed odd to sign a player who clearly doesn’t profile like our usual wide forward types and doesn’t appear to have the potential of the two strikers we already had. We’d have been better off looking for a left footed player to back up Mo down the right who could also play centrally, or simply signing a midfielder as we were so poor there last year. Endo would surely have been available in January?

Gakpo for me is the player Solanke would have been if he stayed here, developed and continued to be a 5th/6th option. Decent player, ceiling’s not the highest and looks an awkward fit at times. Can do a bit at 9 or 10 but doesn’t appear to be as dangerous as a usual forward or creative as a midfielder-type 10.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #3804 on: March 18, 2024, 11:53:55 am »
Personally it’s the lack of intensity in his play. His a bigger lad than Nunez but you wouldn’t know it by the way he goes about it.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #3805 on: March 18, 2024, 12:33:05 pm »
I'd sooner read the 'Those Chants' thread than this. Seriously have a fuckin word with yourselves.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline yes

• no. prog punditry
  • Kopite
  • I got the ill communication
« Reply #3806 on: March 18, 2024, 01:15:53 pm »
He's a worse Havertz (if you can even picture that).

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #3807 on: March 18, 2024, 01:23:26 pm »
Some of you should try writing to Jurgen, explaining to him where he's going wrong by picking him.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3808 on: March 18, 2024, 01:25:22 pm »
Some of you should try writing to Jurgen, explaining to him where he's going wrong by picking him.
Having an opinion on football/tactics/players on a football forum, how very dare we.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline steampie

• Kopite
  • Truth yes, now Justice.
« Reply #3809 on: March 18, 2024, 01:36:33 pm »
I'd sooner read the 'Those Chants' thread than this. Seriously have a fuckin word with yourselves.

This. Also perhaps note that he is in the top 5 of our squad in pressing. Yes, he can be a bit braver on the ball, but the overreaction in here is ridiculous.
I think [naming your daughter] Fuckoffyoubitterblueshitebastards Becker has a nice ring to it.

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #3810 on: March 18, 2024, 02:02:59 pm »
The scapegoating of posters here is through the fucking roof
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Kopite
« Reply #3811 on: March 18, 2024, 02:21:01 pm »
For those who are saying it's not scapegoating because they didn't specifically say we lost because of him, you don't actually have to say that to scapegoat a player. You're claiming that you're only voicing your opinions about him based on the whole season. Well firstly he already contributed more than enough this season. Secondly, why after this game though? His sub performance last week was actually worse as we were pushing for a win in that game, but the abuse was nowhere near this. And there were a lot of times when he, or it could be any other player, was subbed on when we were winning and didn't do much, but no one gave a shit because well, we were winning and just needed to close the game out.

Most of football fans are clueless when it comes to analysing the game correctly and this thread today is the prime evidence. Opinions are not formed based on thorough observations, but rather on (1) the result, and (2) a few impressions that stick on people's mind. We had 2 shots in the ET yesterday compared to United's 9. Maybe that's because right sided forward was anonymous lol? Oh wait... but he had as many touches and passes as Nunez and Diaz combined, and almost as many as Elliott who was playing midfield. And of our only 2 shots (1 is the long punt taken by Elliott), one was created by him. Now I'm not saying that's an amazing performance but it's nowhere near the worst performance in the history of football like our fans are making. And not long ago I posted the stats showing he's top 5 in our squad for pressing, as the previous poster said.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3812 on: March 18, 2024, 02:49:15 pm »
No offence, but I can remember speaking to Wolves fans when we signed Jota as I worked with a few at the time. They said similar, he’s inconsistent, goes missing etc I wouldn’t really go off what fans think over the scouts at our club.

For me, we had an idea of what he wanted to be, it was going to be a bigger, more physical version of Firmino with a bit more versatility. Holding the ball up centrally, sucking in players, turning and spreading play, 12 months ago it very much looked like a good piece of work and he’d be a great tool to use when we wanted that from the focal point of our attack. Whether he has a defined role or not, he simply isn’t playing well or complimenting his teammates well. He was speaking in interviews saying he’d always played from the left but was now engaged with being a 9, it was obviously a learning process for him and being moved around the field doesn’t help when you’re still trying to learn the role the coaching staff have told you will be your position in the team.

People are desperate to pigeon hole him as a signing by Lijnders, by Klopp, by whoever, when we all know as a club it’s always been a collaborative effort when it comes to signings, just because one hasn’t been as good as we’d hoped doesn’t mean there has to be a fall guy or that we deviated from a process that worked. I’ve seen him play well and I’ve seen him look the part in red, I have no issues in believing he has the talent, I just really question how we’ve been using him and quite why he hasn’t been able to string together a few top performances despite being very involved in the team.

Difference between Gakpo and Jota is that Gakpo was pushed by the coaching team (Lijnders on record saying he basically signed him) and Jota was the scouts and director of football. Whatever deep data they had on Jota obviously was telling, and the scouting team did their due diligence there. I just question to what extent of scouting was undertaken for Gakpo and what his numbers were in comparison to other targets.

A steep learning curve to not allow coaches to have priority over transfers, I thought we'd learnt this under Rodgers. A precious waste that Gakpo signing has been thanks to that. Evidence that the disjointed nature of player recruitment doesn't work.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 02:56:54 pm by mattD »

Offline PEG2K

• Kopite
« Reply #3813 on: March 18, 2024, 02:58:12 pm »
You know what. I've watched the whole ET again and can confirm that most of the talks about him after that game are bullshit. He probably covered the most ground among our attackers in the ET, both making runs behind their defenders and dropping deep to help the midfield. Diaz and Nunez could barely run in the ET (and that's understandable) so any talks about them making more impacts is just bullshit and probably just based on "feeling" and reputations. What I can criticize him is he could have been stronger in one of two occasions as he was quite easy to lose his balance. But overall that was a decent effort and dont forget he was the only one playing 90 mins in midweek.

I challenge any of you to watch the ET again with your eyes open and still make the same bullshit criticism.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3814 on: March 18, 2024, 03:00:55 pm »
You know what. I've watched the whole ET again and can confirm that most of the talks about him after that game are bullshit. He probably covered the most ground among our attackers in the ET, both making runs behind their defenders and dropping deep to help the midfield. Diaz and Nunez could barely run in the ET (and that's understandable) so any talks about them making more impacts is just bullshit and probably just based on "feeling" and reputations. What I can criticize him is he could have been stronger in one of two occasions as he was quite easy to lose his balance. But overall that was a decent effort and dont forget he was the only one playing 90 mins in midweek.

I challenge any of you to watch the ET again with your eyes open and still make the same bullshit criticism.

Are you his dad?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3815 on: March 18, 2024, 03:06:09 pm »
Difference between Gakpo and Jota is that Gakpo was pushed by the coaching team (Lijnders on record saying he basically signed him) and Jota was the scouts and director of football. Whatever deep data they had on Jota obviously was telling, and the scouting team did their due diligence there. I just question to what extent of scouting was undertaken for Gakpo and what his numbers were in comparison to other targets.

A steep learning curve to not allow coaches to have priority over transfers, I thought we'd learnt this under Rodgers. A precious waste that Gakpo signing has been thanks to that. Evidence that the disjointed nature of player recruitment doesn't work.

Yes because DOF's are never wrong are they? I will remember this the moment they make a mistake.  Perhaps they should also coach the players as well, then we can do away with tiresome managers/coaches.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline PEG2K

• Kopite
« Reply #3816 on: March 18, 2024, 03:07:14 pm »
Are you his dad?
Try to argue with the actual argument first or you'll look like a child regardless of me being his dad or not.

The stupidity in this forum is off the chart.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3817 on: March 18, 2024, 03:09:26 pm »

On the contrary, Klopp's selection choices reveal that he's 5th choice in Klopp's mind. There are obviously reasons for this. You can read the forum for some insight if you like.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #3818 on: March 18, 2024, 03:09:32 pm »
No offence mate but you was on here defending him slicing a diabolical effort in the Forest game the other week, if you won’t criticise him even when he gets it drastically wrong, you’re probably never going to criticise him.

We shouldn’t have to go back and watch a game to validate our opinions, we aren’t analysts, we’re fans on a forum. Could you imagine asking your mate to rewatch ET sat in the pub after the game? No, me neither, so piss off with daft requests.

He came on, he didn’t influence the game, I don’t believe he is or was lazy, I think that’s a ridiculous thing to say. But he didn’t demonstrate quality and he didn’t have an impact on the game. This is becoming a bit of a theme with him, you might believe he’s being scapegoated, maybe by some fans he is. I’m actually a really big fan of his, I was probably more excited about him this season than I was about Darwin or any of our other forwards, but he hasn’t cracked on. He might have scored goals in league cup games and Europa league games, they all have value like, but he’s been very underwhelming in a lot of league games and hasn’t had a period where he’s hit top form. He isn’t creative, he isn’t a lethal scorer and isn’t a difference maker physically. I’m sure all of this could change with a consistent run in one position, but the reality is he’s fifth choice and emphatically fifth choice when everyone’s fit, so it’s probably not going to happen barring another load of injuries, which we’ve just had and he didn’t shine.

Offline PEG2K

• Kopite
« Reply #3819 on: March 18, 2024, 03:15:31 pm »
No offence mate but you was on here defending him slicing a diabolical effort in the Forest game the other week, if you won’t criticise him even when he gets it drastically wrong, you’re probably never going to criticise him.
Is that the one where it's you who said he should have passed instead of shooting? There are several others who also agreed that the pass wasn't really on too. You're deluded if you think you're absolutely right there.

We shouldn’t have to go back and watch a game to validate our opinions, we aren’t analysts, we’re fans on a forum. Could you imagine asking your mate to rewatch ET sat in the pub after the game? No, me neither, so piss off with daft requests.
Because your opinion is wrong. I've gathered all the public stats I can as evidence to that. Wish there are distance covered stats somewhere but I dont have access to that. Then the only tool we have left is just our eyes. If you don't want too then fine but keep in mind that you could be wrong.

He came on, he didn’t influence the game, I don’t believe he is or was lazy, I think that’s a ridiculous thing to say. But he didn’t demonstrate quality and he didn’t have an impact on the game. This is becoming a bit of a theme with him, you might believe he’s being scapegoated, maybe by some fans he is. I’m actually a really big fan of his, I was probably more excited about him this season than I was about Darwin or any of our other forwards, but he hasn’t cracked on. He might have scored goals in league cup games and Europa league games, they all have value like, but he’s been very underwhelming in a lot of league games and hasn’t had a period where he’s hit top form. He isn’t creative, he isn’t a lethal scorer and isn’t a difference maker physically. I’m sure all of this could change with a consistent run in one position, but the reality is he’s fifth choice and emphatically fifth choice when everyone’s fit, so it’s probably not going to happen barring another load of injuries, which we’ve just had and he didn’t shine.
Most of these assessments are fair enough. Except the part where you're talking as if he should have single-handedly won us the game. But he came on when we were ahead lol. Besides, dude created the only chance our whole team could muster during the ET. Don't you think he's not the first and foremost problem?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 03:21:18 pm by PEG2K »

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3820 on: March 18, 2024, 03:15:32 pm »
Yes because DOF's are never wrong are they? I will remember this the moment they make a mistake.  Perhaps they should also coach the players as well, then we can do away with tiresome managers/coaches.

I'm not saying they are always right, they've got their fair share of terrible signings and I think I was very vocal about their record back ten years ago, while not necessarily endorsing Brendan having a go at it either given his poor track record of signings as well (e.g. just one of their signing in Cissokho, I'm sure he wasn't a Brendan signing for example).

But in recent years, their recruitment has been very very good, and Klopp's abilities to get the best out of them showed vindication that they were targeting the right players. The right recruitment and the right manager. Keep those responsibilities and lines drawn.

So if it was believed that Klopp and co got bigger sway in things over the last couple of years, then I honestly think that was a mistake. And Gakpo is an outcome of such disjointed approaches. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #3821 on: March 18, 2024, 03:19:16 pm »
Carragher’s done him dirty with that Tweet. He’s getting all sorts of stick on his social media. Not nice to see, he’s a great lad.

The thing is it’s one thing criticizing a player in an orderly fashion but what’s happening on social media is completely unacceptable. I’ve seen some horrible comments. All players very likely see most of the comments on Instagram if not other platforms. People that have no semblance of behaviour just have access to everything they need and then hide behind that medium.
YWNA

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #3822 on: March 18, 2024, 03:20:05 pm »
Try to argue with the actual argument first or you'll look like a child regardless of me being his dad or not.

The stupidity in this forum is off the chart.

With respect, then go and post somewhere else. You're a weirdly angry fella.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3823 on: March 18, 2024, 03:23:25 pm »
Is that the one where it's you who said he should have passed instead of shooting? There are several others who also agreed that the pass wasn't really on too. You're deluded if you think you're absolutely right there.
Because your opinion is wrong. I've gathered all the public stats I can as evidence to that. Wish there are distance covered stats somewhere but I dont have access to that. Then the only tool we have left is just our eyes. If you don't want too then fine but keep in mind that you could be wrong.
Most of these assessments are fair enough. Except the part where you're talking as if he should have single-handedly won us the game. But he came on when we were ahead lol. Besides, dude created the only chance our whole team could muster during the ET. Don't you think he's not the first and foremost problem?

Running around alot doesn't mean his doing the right things.

Nunez was slandered for the press last season, look how easier it was for united to pass around once Gakpo was upfront instead of Nunez.

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3824 on: March 18, 2024, 03:25:55 pm »

This started when the club brought him instead of a midfielder and since then some people can't get over it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 03:28:51 pm by Egyptian36 »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3825 on: March 18, 2024, 03:29:14 pm »

Nunez was slandered for the press last season, look how easier it was for united to pass around once Gakpo was upfront instead of Nunez.

They were still managing to get through Nunez as well stop rewriting history. We were rocky for most of the game and none of the forwards were near their best.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline PEG2K

• Kopite
« Reply #3826 on: March 18, 2024, 03:33:19 pm »

Well the problem is people are criticizing him for... not running. You can't have it both ways.

Also United passing around easily can't come down to one man lol. You can have prime Robertson up top chasing the ball like a headless chicken if the other parts of the team aren't functioning properly. But the most important thing is it was extra time ffs. You can't compare that to the regular 90. Also what you just claimed is bullshit too. United started the game stronger so maybe it was Gakpo who played the first 30 mins but not Nunez lol?

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3827 on: March 18, 2024, 03:34:30 pm »
Get behind the lad ffs. Some embarrassing knobs on here.
mines a pint

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #3828 on: March 18, 2024, 04:07:27 pm »

The pass was on, he took the worst option of the three available to him. The best would have been to pass, the second would have been to shoot across the keeper, the third would have been to lash at one at the near post and put it well wide. Guess which one he took? Guess which decision you defended?

Stats are a great indicator of many things but they don’t tell you anywhere close to the full story, if they did I wouldn’t bother watching the sport. We all watched him struggle when he came on, he struggled to impose himself, he couldn’t keep hold of the ball, he was slow to make a decision in the 5on2 (others were poor here too) and he generally looked poor. He always works hard, it’s the bare minimum at our club, I’ve never questioned his commitment. But his decision making and quality is very hit and miss, as with a lot of players, but he’s the worst of the five forwards. I just want him to improve, I don’t want him sold and I don’t blame him for the result, but I expect more from him because I’ve seen him be so much better.

I watched Cody for Eindhoven quite a few times, he has so much more ability than he’s demonstrated for us throughout long parts of this season. His decision making in many games has been poor. Yes, you could say that about any of his teammates, the point I’m making is he’s the worst of the five and needs to improve the most in this regard.

Offline PEG2K

• Kopite
« Reply #3829 on: March 18, 2024, 04:15:23 pm »
The pass was on, he took the worst option of the three available to him. The best would have been to pass, the second would have been to shoot across the keeper, the third would have been to lash at one at the near post and put it well wide. Guess which one he took? Guess which decision you defended?
I don't know why you keep saying this as if it was written in the bible? You know just because you think so doesn't make it true, right?

Several others like me also said the problem is he didn't shoot across the goal, not him taking the shot. In the end it was a half chance wasted, which all strikers do. Our strikers including Mane Salah Nunez Diaz in the past all had situations where they didn't pass when the pass was 10x more on than that one, but you're acting like it's the most braindead decision you've ever seen (I think it was the word you use?).

The rest of your post I don't have much to disagree with. But it's actually strange that you can write those words which sound quite constructive but at the same time look at the state of this thread and our social media since yesterday and don't find it shocking.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 04:18:13 pm by PEG2K »

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3830 on: March 18, 2024, 04:17:18 pm »
Well the problem is people are criticizing him for... not running. You can't have it both ways.

Also United passing around easily can't come down to one man lol. You can have prime Robertson up top chasing the ball like a headless chicken if the other parts of the team aren't functioning properly. But the most important thing is it was extra time ffs. You can't compare that to the regular 90. Also what you just claimed is bullshit too. United started the game stronger so maybe it was Gakpo who played the first 30 mins but not Nunez lol?

Lack of intensity in play and running are not the same thing

Then before Gakpo came on we had more of a foothold in the game, its just my opinion. I'm not calling yours bullshit.

His not the reason we lost, but the issues people have with his play are clearly there and if you don't see he makes the wrong decision or overdribbles or even doesn't get his head up for this first 2-3 touches.

Is all that bullshit too?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 04:19:05 pm by mullyred94 »

Offline PEG2K

• Kopite
« Reply #3831 on: March 18, 2024, 04:28:14 pm »
Lack of intensity in play and running are not the same thing

Then before Gakpo came on we had more of a foothold in the game, its just my opinion. I'm not calling yours bullshit.

His not the reason we lost, but the issues people have with his play are clearly there and if you don't see he makes the wrong decision or overdribbles or even doesn't get his head up for this first 2-3 touches.

Is all that bullshit too?
Not the reason we lost but this thread gets more posts than all other players threads combined since yesterday.

If it's about his general play then last week should have gotten more posts. Or at any point in time. His style has always been like that.

People just need a place to vent their frustration and a non fan favorite is the easy target, despite him not doing much wrong yesterday. Because this is the narrative and sheeps will follow.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #3832 on: March 18, 2024, 04:44:32 pm »
I don't know why you keep saying this as if it was written in the bible? You know just because you think so doesn't make it true, right?

Several others like me also said the problem is he didn't shoot across the goal, not him taking the shot. In the end it was a half chance wasted, which all strikers do. Our strikers including Mane Salah Nunez Diaz in the past all had situations where they didn't pass when the pass was 10x more on than that one, but you're acting like it's the most braindead decision you've ever seen (I think it was the word you use?).

The rest of your post I don't have much to disagree with. But it's actually strange that you can write those words which sound quite constructive but at the same time look at the state of this thread and our social media since yesterday and don't find it shocking.

I put screenshots in at the time showing the pass was on. The commentary on the game said he got it completely wrong. James sodding Pearce tweeted at the time it happened he made the wrong decision. Other posters are entitled to believe what they want. I watched the game live, it was a pivotal moment with the game at 0-0, it was by far our best opportunity to create a big chance with the game at 0-0. That’s why watching the game and not relying on stats is important. I think you mentioned the xG of the shot, it was quite low, but that doesn’t tell you he should have passed to one of two teammates who were standing - unmarked - in positions that would’ve been 0.5xg+ if not even higher. If the pass was really difficult to execute, I wouldn’t have said anything, it wasn’t though and your belief that one defender taken all of the options available away from him was wrong. If his touch was better, if he had his head up and seen his teammates, he’d have either tried to play one in earlier or he’d have shot across goal anticipating a rebound for one of them if the shot gets parried.

As I said, he took the worst option of the three he had available and compounded that decision with shite execution. That’s my issue with him. He needs to improve his decision making drastically, and if he wants to be the man that takes on shots when his teammates are in better positions, he needs to back that up by consistently producing, like Mo does. His teammates all make mistakes, I’ve no doubt about it, but these are big moments in big games when he isn’t producing with the game in the balance.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3833 on: March 18, 2024, 04:46:33 pm »
Think he's pretty knackered (not the only one) and he needs a bit of rest. Put up decent numbers considering how bad people insist he's been and that he's played in so many positions. Feel for the lad to be honest as he's clearly struggling for confidence and I hope for his own sake he turns off his comments on instagram from now on for his own sake as people can be fucking pathetic given the opportunity

Head up Gakpo, he can still contribute in the remaining games

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #3834 on: March 18, 2024, 05:13:55 pm »
On the contrary, Klopp's selection choices reveal that he's 5th choice in Klopp's mind. There are obviously reasons for this. You can read the forum for some insight if you like.

My point is, he’s what we’ve got to choose from at this moment in time. And no pile-on on the internet will make it any better. I’m not seeing many ‘opinions’ on what we can do to utilise him. Just people writing him completely off.
Questions can be raised at the end of the season when changes can be made, or more pertinently, when the new manager comes in. Until then he is our player and I’ll support him like the rest.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3835 on: March 18, 2024, 05:14:13 pm »
Not the reason we lost but this thread gets more posts than all other players threads combined since yesterday.

If it's about his general play then last week should have gotten more posts. Or at any point in time. His style has always been like that.

People just need a place to vent their frustration and a non fan favorite is the easy target, despite him not doing much wrong yesterday. Because this is the narrative and sheeps will follow.

I've said it before mate not just yesterday but as you wish.

Offline PEG2K

• Kopite
« Reply #3836 on: March 18, 2024, 05:21:57 pm »
I put screenshots in at the time showing the pass was on. The commentary on the game said he got it completely wrong. James sodding Pearce tweeted at the time it happened he made the wrong decision. Other posters are entitled to believe what they want. I watched the game live, it was a pivotal moment with the game at 0-0, it was by far our best opportunity to create a big chance with the game at 0-0. That’s why watching the game and not relying on stats is important. I think you mentioned the xG of the shot, it was quite low, but that doesn’t tell you he should have passed to one of two teammates who were standing - unmarked - in positions that would’ve been 0.5xg+ if not even higher. If the pass was really difficult to execute, I wouldn’t have said anything, it wasn’t though and your belief that one defender taken all of the options available away from him was wrong. If his touch was better, if he had his head up and seen his teammates, he’d have either tried to play one in earlier or he’d have shot across goal anticipating a rebound for one of them if the shot gets parried.

As I said, he took the worst option of the three he had available and compounded that decision with shite execution. That’s my issue with him. He needs to improve his decision making drastically, and if he wants to be the man that takes on shots when his teammates are in better positions, he needs to back that up by consistently producing, like Mo does. His teammates all make mistakes, I’ve no doubt about it, but these are big moments in big games when he isn’t producing with the game in the balance.
I can put a screenshot showing had he made the pass it would have been cut off too. I explained back then that the distance between him and Nunez was not that far which means the pass would have to be a soft one for him to take into his stride, which means the defender could react to it in real time, but of course because in the screenshot you can see a clear line from point A to B you'd think the pass was on without taking into accoutn the speed of the ball and the movement of the defender lol. So actually the fact is that there are people who think the pass was on and people who think not. What does that tell you? That it's at best a 50/50 pass. I don't think I can elaborate further while all you have for your argument is keep saying "I must be right".

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3837 on: March 18, 2024, 05:32:42 pm »
He has run himself into the ground lately and is on a decent goal-scoring run. I don't really see where the criticism is coming from.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #3838 on: March 18, 2024, 05:36:03 pm »
My point is, he’s what we’ve got to choose from at this moment in time. And no pile-on on the internet will make it any better. I’m not seeing many ‘opinions’ on what we can do to utilise him. Just people writing him completely off.
Questions can be raised at the end of the season when changes can be made, or more pertinently, when the new manager comes in. Until then he is our player and I’ll support him like the rest.

I don’t think he’s been that poor that we need to discuss solutions on how to utilise him, I think he’s used OK I just think he isn’t producing at the standard required. His issue is he just isn’t the profile of wide player that Klopp likes which means he either has to play in midfield or as a 9. He’s behind two players as the 9 and hasn’t looked comfortable in midfield when tried there. It’s not a Minamino situation where he’s never going to force his way in, but with the season where it’s at now it does look like he’ll be on the bench most games the other 4 forwards are fit.

We haven’t seen a lot of him out wide, he looks more comfortable pulling there but Klopp has never given him a proper go on the left which is really curious. He used to play Origi out wide when he would occasionally play so it’s odd Gakpo hasn’t had a run there. He’s probably looked at his worst when tried on the right or in midfield. The coaching staff seem to think his best position for us is as a 9. 12 months ago I’d have agreed wholeheartedly, he looked like he could be our new Bobby, with more physical gifts and potentially a greater shooting threat, but it hasn’t happened for him. When he has played he hasn’t been able to get into the type of rhythm needed to be a false 9 and he hasn’t provided the goal threat to be a classic 9. I think he makes some good runs off the ball but his teammates don’t tend to find him or even try to find him, yet when Darwin comes on he’s like a magnet.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3839 on: March 18, 2024, 05:50:09 pm »
He has run himself into the ground lately and is on a decent goal-scoring run. I don't really see where the criticism is coming from.

Many seem to love scapegoats, have little patience and unrealistic expectations.