Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 314999 times)

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
Re: Cody Mathès Gakpo
« Reply #3720 on: March 17, 2024, 10:15:21 pm »
He is being used in too many positions and that doesn't always suit players, I think he is more suited to play in an Alonso type team which might bring him into a different light should Xabi become our manager.

I can’t figure out what type of team he would suit playing in because I can’t decide what type of player he is. After last season, I thought he could become a watered down version of what Harry Kane was for Spurs. A false 9 that drops deep, offers long range passing and reliable finishing by ghosting into central areas. But now I’ve no idea, he’s not as selfless or technical as Firmino to play false 9 and isn’t dynamic enough to play out wide. He lacks the elite level sharpness we know from Klopp forwards. He just looks a really awkward fit at the moment, it feels like if we get Darwin involved something is always gonna happen, it feels like when we get Gakpo involved the play just isn’t developing.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3721 on: March 17, 2024, 10:17:39 pm »
He is being used in different positions to try to get the best out of him. I think there is a genuine question as to what exactly we were looking from him to do here when we signed him.

I dont think we signed him for left wing, I think we saw a slightly different version of Bobby, one who could drop deep and pick up the ball and turn the opposition. Problem is that in a lot of games when he plays up front he doesnt get on the ball enough and when he does he is quite quickly crowded out.

There are players who may be nervous about Klopp going but in terms of Gakpo I think he may be happy to see what a new manager brings in tactically.

There are always winners and losers when a new manager comes in it's why next season will be fascinating.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3722 on: March 17, 2024, 10:17:50 pm »
He is being used in different positions to try to get the best out of him. I think there is a genuine question as to what exactly we were looking from him to do here when we signed him.

I dont think we signed him for left wing, I think we saw a slightly different version of Bobby, one who could drop deep and pick up the ball and turn the opposition. Problem is that in a lot of games when he plays up front he doesnt get on the ball enough and when he does he is quite quickly crowded out.

There are players who may be nervous about Klopp going but in terms of Gakpo I think he may be happy to see what a new manager brings in tactically.

A very fair post that.
Feels like a real slump in form for the reasons you raise. The question is whether he can pull himself out of it, we know he’s got a lot of ability.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3723 on: March 17, 2024, 10:20:43 pm »
I can’t figure out what type of team he would suit playing in because I can’t decide what type of player he is. After last season, I thought he could become a watered down version of what Harry Kane was for Spurs. A false 9 that drops deep, offers long range passing and reliable finishing by ghosting into central areas. But now I’ve no idea, he’s not as selfless or technical as Firmino to play false 9 and isn’t dynamic enough to play out wide. He lacks the elite level sharpness we know from Klopp forwards. He just looks a really awkward fit at the moment, it feels like if we get Darwin involved something is always gonna happen, it feels like when we get Gakpo involved the play just isn’t developing.

His best performance has been when he's been able to play the link man, he has intelligence but I suspect his confidence is a bit frayed and that's why we don't always see him at his best at the moment.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #3724 on: March 17, 2024, 10:23:48 pm »
He wasn’t above criticism, but he had a decent game where he was impactful and contributed positively to a lot of our good stuff through the game. His mistake was his mistake, sloppy on the ball in an area he had no business being at that point in the game. He should’ve played it safely back and gone up the field, mistakes happen when you’ve played 130 minutes of football though and Klopp said he’d have took him off. His pass for the Salah chance was outrageous. His movement when we got to their box was creating openings for cut backs and so on. Salah was poor. Díaz was lively but you never felt like he’d decide the game in the sam way Rashford did, did you?

Gakpo came off the bench today and completely blunted our attack. He’s got so much more ability than he shown today, it was one of his poorest performances for us in a game where we needed one of his best. I’m not blaming the game on him, he just played poorly and he’s had a fairly abject few months when the majority of his partners in the front line have had really impactful performances (when fit).

That’s it. If roles were reversed and you brought Nunez on against those tired legs of United after 75 mins, he’d have caused them absolute carnage with his runs in behind. Watching Gakpo in those 15 mins of normal time, if you had just tuned in, you would think he had been playing for 75 mins.

Offline Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #3725 on: March 17, 2024, 10:30:06 pm »
I think he is more suited to play in an Alonso type team which might bring him into a different light should Xabi become our manager.

I think this applies to a few of our current players.  Come November/December there could be some drastically different conversations around certain players. Gakpo does frustrate me though. I think it's still a bit worrying that there's legitimate questions around his strengths nearly 18 months later.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3726 on: March 17, 2024, 10:34:13 pm »
I think this applies to a few of our current players.  Come November/December there could be some drastically different conversations around certain players. Gakpo does frustrate me though. I think it's still a bit worrying that there's legitimate questions around his strengths nearly 18 months later.

All players have issues though. It bothers me that Nunez gets found offside as much as he does still.  But these are young players and none of them are perfect. I would prefer to see a bit more muscle on him, I agree though.

Online PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3727 on: March 17, 2024, 10:35:18 pm »
We needed his energy and he was supposed to be fresh. Also, his hold up play was very poor and it put the entire team under pressure. So, of course, it had a big impact.

A few pages earlier, I said how important he is to us. However,  he was very poor today and we wouldn't have been worse with 10 men.
That wasn't a good performance, but not the kind of bad performance that warrants a whole fan base shitting on him after the game. Also you're wrong in suggesting we were playing with 10 men with him.

He had 24 touches and 15 passes after coming on. To compare, in that period, Nunez had 13 touches and 6 passes, and Diaz had 18 touches and 9 passes, so they were even more anonymous. But they started the game and was knackered so that's understandable. But Elliott who also came on as a sub only had 27 touches and 19 passes in that period, so not much more than Gakpo despite playing in midfield. Now I'm not saying those were good touches or good passes but it means he was involved. He also created the Macca header chance in the 1st ET. And this is funny/sad: 2 of our conceded goals indirectly came as a result of him being involved in the play. The pressing that led to the unlucky rebound that led to Antony goal. And the chasing that led to the 120th min corner.

Also he's not supposed to be as fresh as you think with him playing every 90 mins possible recently bar the City game, and 90 min in midweek too. I think everyone just looks at that 5v2 which is not even that bad in the first place, then combined with his languish style and him not ever being a fan favorite, which leads to this ridiculous scapegoating.

Online koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #3728 on: March 17, 2024, 10:36:53 pm »
Don't see it with him, they can't all work out i guess
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #3729 on: March 17, 2024, 10:41:16 pm »
All players have issues though. It bothers me that Nunez gets found offside as much as he does still.  But these are young players and none of them are perfect. I would prefer to see a bit more muscle on him, I agree though.

https://x.com/skysportspl/status/1767271816882442288?s=46&t=0-c-q6ANPH_2yomP8PeB9Q

Listen to Ian Wright here, a bloke that knows a lot about forward play. Listen to what they ask of their teammates. If you watch Darwin, he’s offside because he always goes early, it’s outrageous forward play, you want your forward to be the most alert, to spring into danger and exploit space. They’re not all like this but so many of them are him going early and his teammates just not seeing it quick enough, his other teammates around him should be making the third man run too, so if Darwin stops running, they can break through, just like the goal was scored at the Emirates last year. He had the odd poor offside, but a lot of them are outside of his control, in my opinion.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #3730 on: March 17, 2024, 10:44:46 pm »
All season our substitutions have had a theme of making a difference, lifting those already on the pitch, making an impact - sadly none of that today from Cody. He genuinely looked like his heart wasn’t in it. Think he needs to have a think about where he thinks he is, to where he wants to be. The kid has it all, he just needs to apply it. Hopefully he’ll dust himself down and come back stronger and more focused.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3731 on: March 17, 2024, 10:46:07 pm »
https://x.com/skysportspl/status/1767271816882442288?s=46&t=0-c-q6ANPH_2yomP8PeB9Q

Listen to Ian Wright here, a bloke that knows a lot about forward play. Listen to what they ask of their teammates. If you watch Darwin, he’s offside because he always goes early, it’s outrageous forward play, you want your forward to be the most alert, to spring into danger and exploit space. They’re not all like this but so many of them are him going early and his teammates just not seeing it quick enough, his other teammates around him should be making the third man run too, so if Darwin stops running, they can break through, just like the goal was scored at the Emirates last year. He had the odd poor offside, but a lot of them are outside of his control, in my opinion.

Look I am not having a go at him just saying everyone has issues they need to improve. I think Nunez has enjoyed the support that I don't think Gakpo has had. It's easier to keep your head up when you get that amount os support. I just wish it was given to others as well.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #3732 on: March 17, 2024, 10:49:02 pm »
Could argue they've supported Nunez because even when he's not had the best game he's still looked like making something happen.  When Gakpo is off he disappears.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3733 on: March 17, 2024, 10:50:50 pm »
Could argue they've supported Nunez because even when he's not had the best game he's still looked like making something happen.  When Gakpo is off he disappears.

He has contributed this season. You and I are never going to agree tonight...

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3734 on: March 17, 2024, 10:51:48 pm »
Why do people always need a fucking scapegoat 🙄

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #3735 on: March 17, 2024, 10:52:02 pm »
He has contributed this season. You and I are never going to agree tonight...

No probably not Jill. I fundamentally don't get your position on most of this stuff tonight but I respect you so I hope we're all in better moods tomorrow.

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #3736 on: March 17, 2024, 10:53:22 pm »

I really think people are missing the point, I don't think anyone's scapegoating him, the vast majority of people in here have posted elsewhere that we were just in general shite today.  We were naive tactically and off it from the beginning. We were crap.

We're posting in here because it's Gakpo's thread and he - once again - was poor off the bench, and it's rightly raising questions about his position in the squad etc.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3737 on: March 17, 2024, 10:58:03 pm »

Because they have to put the blame on someone.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3738 on: March 17, 2024, 10:59:43 pm »
Because they have to put the blame on someone.

I've yet to see anyone pin the blame solely on Gakpo.

There's nothing wrong with suggesting he isn't good enough. Not everyone has to be a superfan and think every player in the squad is the best in the world.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3739 on: March 17, 2024, 11:01:07 pm »

There's nothing wrong with suggesting he isn't good enough. Not everyone has to be a superfan and think every player in the squad is the best in the world.

So I'm a superfan because I'm not targeting one sole player and blaming him for today's loss?

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3740 on: March 17, 2024, 11:02:23 pm »

Tosh, it's an off team performance so why blame an individual who came on late?

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #3741 on: March 17, 2024, 11:03:08 pm »
I cannot see a single post in here that says Gakpo was the reason we lost today.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3742 on: March 17, 2024, 11:03:11 pm »
Gakpo was always a strange addition, and I think if Klopp was staying there would be a question mark over him. It’s not clear what we’re trying to mould him in to. Having said that, he has plenty of quality and you can’t fault his character. I think he could work well under Alonso, so let’s see what the future holds.

I do miss the raw pace we used to have in attack though. Aside from Nunez we don’t really have the pace that terrifies the opposition anymore.

Offline Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #3743 on: March 17, 2024, 11:03:57 pm »
I'd never attribute a loss to one player. We conceded four goals today, so there's a lot of people who should take a look at their performance. People are talking about Gakpo though because there continues to be questions around the player and poor showings like today add to the questions. Not sure why people take that as scapegiating. I'd love to see the posts where people actually say " we lost because of him". Calling him shite, maybe but blaming him. Come off it. Who's done that.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3744 on: March 17, 2024, 11:04:17 pm »
Again. I've yet to see anyone pin the blame solely on Gakpo.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3745 on: March 17, 2024, 11:05:16 pm »
I cannot see a single post in here that says Gakpo was the reason we lost today.

Exactly. Weird as fuck to suggest he's being scapegoated  ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3746 on: March 17, 2024, 11:06:00 pm »
Gakpo was always a strange addition, and I think if Klopp was staying there would be a question mark over him. It’s not clear what we’re trying to mould him in to. Having said that, he has plenty of quality and you can’t fault his character. I think he could work well under Alonso, so let’s see what the future holds.

I do miss the raw pace we used to have in attack though. Aside from Nunez we don’t really have the pace that terrifies the opposition anymore.

I think the attack is due a refresh. We have pretty much had the same crop of attackers since the start of 2023 and by the end it will be 1 1/2 seasons with the same personnel and nobody breaking through. I think nearly every department could do with a new player.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #3747 on: March 17, 2024, 11:07:30 pm »

Think even if you go back a couple of pages (games where we’ve won), there’s always been discussions about whether he could be upgraded, what his best position is, what he brings to the team etc.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3748 on: March 17, 2024, 11:07:40 pm »
If he's being scapegoated then he'd get more mentions in the post-match thread. 

He was just very poor and people are pointing it out in his thread.

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #3749 on: March 17, 2024, 11:08:41 pm »
And the thing is, everyone was poor largely. This thread gets traction because it's the continuation of most of his recent form and it's raising questions.  Pretty much the same ones that have always existed around him. Like "what the fuck is his role?"

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3750 on: March 17, 2024, 11:15:32 pm »
I've generally been a fan of Gakpo. Looked very promising last season, and until the last few weeks, was also contributing a bit this season.

Today is the first day where I'm genuinely concerned about him going forward. I can certainly accept a player going through a tough patch with confidence, finishing etc. With Gakpo though, it really is like he's just not impacting games in any positive way. It feels like there isn't any conviction to what he's doing (like that ludicrous 5 vs 2 counter attack), and his lack of aggression or intensity is what really bothers me.

He doesn't have to be prolific, but he does need to work like a madman and at least look like he's desperate to win. Simply not showing that lately.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3751 on: March 17, 2024, 11:17:57 pm »
Exactly. Weird as fuck to suggest he's being scapegoated  ;D

It's just people not reading the thread and trying to shut the discussion down because they don't have any counter-argument.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3752 on: March 17, 2024, 11:19:38 pm »
I've generally been a fan of Gakpo. Looked very promising last season, and until the last few weeks, was also contributing a bit this season.

Today is the first day where I'm genuinely concerned about him going forward. I can certainly accept a player going through a tough patch with confidence, finishing etc. With Gakpo though, it really is like he's just not impacting games in any positive way. It feels like there isn't any conviction to what he's doing (like that ludicrous 5 vs 2 counter attack), and his lack of aggression or intensity is what really bothers me.

He doesn't have to be prolific, but he does need to work like a madman and at least look like he's desperate to win. Simply not showing that lately.

Jill mentioned earlier the support that Darwin gets/did get when he wasn't playing well and missing chances.
This is probably the difference. Darwin was always busting a gut and leaving everything on the pitch.
Gakpo doesn't look arsed.

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3753 on: March 17, 2024, 11:19:54 pm »
It's just people not reading the thread and trying to shut the discussion down because they don't have any counter-argument.

Yeah cos we're too stupid to read the thread aren't we? Muppet.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3754 on: March 17, 2024, 11:20:40 pm »

There have been plenty of alternative views perhaps you should read the thread properly.

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #3755 on: March 17, 2024, 11:21:30 pm »

Last season’s form, generally, was far superior to his last few outings. I truly believe it’s a confidence thing - he’s very low on it atm. It happens to most players; think he might still come good, and this is not the time to judge him.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3756 on: March 17, 2024, 11:23:39 pm »
Scapegoat or not there's absolutely no doubt that Gakpo has failed to develop in the way the coaching staff would have hoped. His best game remains the 7-0 against Utd by a country mile. He's been nowhere close to those heights since. End of the day though, he's fifth choice forward and still contributing with double figures. We don't win the Carabao without him.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3757 on: March 17, 2024, 11:23:51 pm »
There have been plenty of alternative views perhaps you should read the thread properly.

I've been reading it and the scapegoat shouts are nonsensical. He's not being blamed for the loss today, this is just the latest in a long line of performances where he doesn't really contribute or look interested and it has tipped the scales a bit and got people wondering what's going on with him.

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #3758 on: March 17, 2024, 11:24:33 pm »
Scapegoat or not there's absolutely no doubt that Gakpo has failed to develop in the way the coaching staff would have hoped. His best game remains the 7-0 against Utd by a country mile. He's been nowhere close to those heights since. End of the day though, he's fifth choice forward and still contributing with double figures. We don't win the Carabao without him.

Just like Minami....alright, I won't start that one again. :D

Love you all, let's hope tomorrow's brighter cos we're still gonna fucking win everything left.

Offline Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #3759 on: March 17, 2024, 11:33:48 pm »
His best game remains the 7-0 against Utd by a country mile. He's been nowhere close to those heights since. End of the day though, he's fifth choice forward and still contributing with double figures. We don't win the Carabao without him.

I think this kind of highlights the frustrations with him. We've seen what he is capable of. But that 7-0 is still somewhat of a freak result. He's gone through patches of decent form but it doesn't feel like he's nailed down a spot of developed as a player 18 months later.

Strangely, I also feel like his versatility hasn't even proved to be much of an asset as we'd expected. Some of the other forwards have looked more adaptable and better when shifted away from preferred positions. I just find him quite a conundrum.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 11:36:08 pm by Sonofthewind »