Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 304150 times)

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #4280 on: July 17, 2022, 06:48:54 pm »
See you at Hoylake 2023
#Sausages

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #4281 on: July 17, 2022, 06:50:30 pm »
Wouldn’t mind seeing Rory win one again but would quite like to see Hovland win his first. Just as long as it’s not a Cameron.

Nice call..lol.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4282 on: July 17, 2022, 06:53:36 pm »
Yeah…that’s a borderline bottling
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4283 on: July 17, 2022, 06:57:33 pm »
See you at Hoylake 2023
Ballot closes soon :)

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4284 on: July 17, 2022, 06:58:49 pm »
nah. He has his head on straight

Any of the players who have ever turned up for the regular event have question marks. Certainly wouldn't say it's head on straight stuff. As you see if you look through the leaderboards from previous years they're full of players who've jumped ship. He's a possible...

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4285 on: July 17, 2022, 06:58:59 pm »
He Spursed it.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4286 on: July 17, 2022, 07:01:29 pm »
Yeah…that’s a borderline bottling

We will never know for sure but yeah fair shout, -2 on a course offering birdie chances galore, not good enough and he has a track record of bottling.

Cameron was absolutely nerve-less.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4287 on: July 17, 2022, 07:07:32 pm »
Smith just went out there and won it. That’s not a bottlejob by Rory.

-8 on Sunday at the 150th open with an openly pro-Rory crowd, are you kidding me? Just insanity.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4288 on: July 17, 2022, 07:08:02 pm »
Nice call..lol.

He’s more of a Cam.

Seems alright too. He fully deserved it for that back 9.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4289 on: July 17, 2022, 07:09:39 pm »

-8 on Sunday at the 150th open with an openly pro-Rory crowd, are you kidding me? Just insanity.

Smith won it alright but Rory handed it to him,-2 on a day like today isn't good enough for a final round.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #4290 on: July 17, 2022, 07:11:44 pm »

Claims of McIlroy bottling it are ludicrous. Smith was phenomenal and holed everything on the back 9. His putt on 17 was brilliant as was his up and down at 18. On the other hand, McIlroy burned the hole many times; he didn’t put a foot wrong but he just couldn’t hole a putt.
#JFT97

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4291 on: July 17, 2022, 07:27:01 pm »
70 wasn't a terrible score, and Rory didn't play badly.  If both Cams shoot good scores of 67, Rory wins.  But then again, if Hovland shot a 67, he would've won.

St. Andrews isn't hard to score at these days, and while Rory didn't have a massive chasing pack right behind, anyone close going really low could be a problem (someone like Dustin Johnson shooting a 64 would've matched Rory's 70).  While you'd normally not be fretting about people shooting 64 or 30 on a back nine, conditions this week were primed for that possibility.  Rory played fine, but he was always at risk if players can go really, really low, and both Smith and Young managed it.  On another day, Hovland goes low and wins by a landslide.  In the end, Rory didn't play himself out of contention or anything but just didn't have enough putts in him to deal with players shooting mid-60s scores.  It happens.
King Kenny.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4292 on: July 17, 2022, 07:40:27 pm »

Smith won it alright but Rory handed it to him,-2 on a day like today isn't good enough for a final round.

Sure, an argument can absolutely be had that Rory wasn’t good enough on the day. That’s not bottling it though. He shot -2 on Sunday at the Open, he didn’t van de Velde the damn thing.  ;D
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4293 on: July 17, 2022, 07:46:17 pm »
Oh Rory! What a chance missed.

He will be gutted as today. Shouldn’t be losing when leading with that chasing pack.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4294 on: July 17, 2022, 07:51:11 pm »
People seem to be forgetting Smith never holed anything yesterday, whereas McIlroy had quite a bit of luck, he just wasn't good enough overall.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #4295 on: July 17, 2022, 07:51:15 pm »
Sure, an argument can absolutely be had that Rory wasn’t good enough on the day. That’s not bottling it though. He shot -2 on Sunday at the Open, he didn’t van de Velde the damn thing.  ;D

Agree. Rory missed a lot of makeable putts but none were easy. Smith made almost every putt that he could have on the back 9 which was the difference. Tee to green there wasn’t anything in it but Smith’s putter won him the tournament. In fact it was Smith who played the road hole badly and needed a long putt to save his par. I was amazed that Young got so close as he was all over the place but holed good putts.

Of the leaders it was Hovland who had a poor round. He didn’t hole any putts and his tee to green game was poor. He is a very good player and is capable of winning a major.
#JFT97

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4296 on: July 17, 2022, 08:02:20 pm »
Nice of Cameron to thank the volunteers when the chairman only thanks his fellow board members and sponsors the daft prick.
I think he mentioned the 7000 volunteers?

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4297 on: July 17, 2022, 08:03:19 pm »
Great play by Smith to win it as the lad was on fire. Unbelievable under pressure as time and time again he was clutch. Young was feeding off him and both spurred each other on to an excellent final round.

Rory issues with his putter and wedges became apparent again when under pressure as he could have easily laid up to 100 yards on many of the holes but he didn't. He's had a brilliant year again as very consistent in the majors. Once he gets over the disappointment he can look back and see he's turn his game around from top 10 in the world to nearly the main man again.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #4298 on: July 17, 2022, 10:16:26 pm »
I think anyone with such a dickish haircut and stupid, fluffy 'tache should be forbidden from winning anything, anywhere.

Looks like a sister-marrying redneck from some buttfuck American shithole state.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4299 on: July 17, 2022, 10:20:13 pm »
I think anyone with such a dickish haircut and stupid, fluffy 'tache should be forbidden from winning anything, anywhere.

Looks like a sister-marrying redneck from some buttfuck American shithole state.

Aussies love a mullet.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #4300 on: July 17, 2022, 10:45:16 pm »

Didn't help that he played with Hovland, who was terrible and sucked the energy out of the group.

Think Hovland was definitely a factor, As well as been shit he was also excruciatingly slow! cant take anything away from Smith though, a fantastic player who delivered on the day.

As an aside, does Harry Diamond, Rory's caddy, actually do anything other than carry his bag? Seems to be stealing a living to me.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Juan Kerr

• Main Stander
« Reply #4301 on: July 17, 2022, 11:23:52 pm »
Nope he doesn't, but that's down to Rory and what he wants.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #4302 on: July 18, 2022, 01:06:28 am »
Looks like Sergio is going to take his ball and go home. He's not liked anymore.

Sergio Garcia said on Sunday he is set to quit the DP World Tour amid the fallout over the Spaniard's decision to join the controversial rebel series LIV Golf.

Garcia, who holds the record for the number of points won at Ryder Cups, would also be forfeiting his chance to participate in the biennial clash between Europe and the USA should he resign from the tour.

"The truth is I am quite sure about what I am going to do with the DP World Tour, I will probably leave it," said Garcia after finishing the British Open on two-under-par on.

"I want to play where I am wanted. I like to feel loved and in the European Tour I don't feel loved at the moment."

Garcia was just one of 24 players signed up to the LIV circuit to play in the 150th Open Championship in St Andrews this week.

However, their path to play in the majors could soon be blocked if LIV events are not awarded world rankings points.

"If I don't play the majors then I don't play them. In truth, that doesn't bother me much," Garcia said.

"It would be a shame to not play the Ryder Cup, but playing as I'm playing, I wouldn't be playing it anyway."

The 42-year-old ended his wait for a major win at the Masters in 2017, but saved his best for the Ryder Cup, where he was part of six European wins.

However, he said it was a clash with one of his former Ryder Cup captains Thomas Bjorn at the BMW International Open in June that has led to his decision to leave the tour.

"Thomas Bjorn came to us in the BMW Championship and said 'all the players don't want you to be here'" said Garcia.

"That isn't nice and I am at the age where I won't stand for nonsense like that."
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4303 on: July 18, 2022, 01:38:34 am »
Stenson on the verge of joining LIV and also being stripped of his Ryder Cup captaincy. Thought it meant more to the Euro’s?!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4304 on: July 18, 2022, 01:41:27 am »

It's a bottle job by Rory, yet again.

He'll have known the whole way around what scores others were on and couldn't get it done.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4305 on: July 18, 2022, 08:05:41 am »
Rory thought he only had to beat Hovland. It was as if he was playing matchplay. Once the damage was done it was too late.

Anyone else getting Petis Allis viobes from Faldo on commentary? And what has Montgomerie done wrong, not heard from him commentating in ages? And calling Laura Davies Dame all the irritating in the extreme by Sunday.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4306 on: July 18, 2022, 08:25:46 am »
When you look at the scores posted by the top 10-20 players yesterday, -2 is below average really.

McIlroy had plenty of birdie opportunites with mid-range putts but didn't hole any of them while Smith looked like someone who has complete confidence in their short game.

"Rory McIlroy hit every green in regulation on Sunday—and two-putted every green on Sunday." 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 08:38:00 am by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4307 on: July 18, 2022, 08:37:07 am »
Rory thought he only had to beat Hovland. It was as if he was playing matchplay. Once the damage was done it was too late.

Anyone else getting Petis Allis viobes from Faldo on commentary? And what has Montgomerie done wrong, not heard from him commentating in ages? And calling Laura Davies Dame all the irritating in the extreme by Sunday.

Complaining about the British establishment whilst watching the Open  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4308 on: July 18, 2022, 08:41:09 am »
When you look at the scores posted by the top 10-20 players yesterday, -2 is below average really.

McIlroy had plenty of birdie opportunites with mid-range putts but didn't hole any of them while Smith looked like someone who has complete confidence in their short game.

"Rory McIlroy hit every green in regulation on Sunday—and two-putted every green on Sunday." 

Think that’s fair more than saying he choked. He may have wanted lower than 70 but at the same time at the turn he looked well in control. Don’t think he dropped a shot all round so it’s not like he went to pieces like that time he blew a lead at Augusta.

Smith just went on a phenomenal run but it was only by about the 17th that McIlroy suddenly ‘had’ to make a putt. That’s never really been his strength. That one he missed early on was pretty critical looking back.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #4309 on: July 18, 2022, 08:53:48 am »
I think it is a bit lazy to be saying Rory bottled it, he didnt make  any bogeys. I would understand if he was missing putts from 4 feet, little bit of an injustice to Smith as well to say Rory bottled it.

LIV I see rearing its head again

The Garcia stuff it was a bit nasty from Thomas Bjorn to be saying that but Garcia has made his bed so he can lie in it, Cant have much sympathy for him when he says he is not bothered if he doesnt play in the majors.

It does worry me LIV will ruin the Ryder cup, Several future captains have joined so that will be them ruled out (Westwood, McDowell, Garcia and Poulter), and it looks like Stenson decided to sell out too. I do wonder who will replace them, Luke Donald will be probably nailed on now and maybe Paul Lawrie or Robert Karlsson down the line.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4310 on: July 18, 2022, 09:25:37 am »
Complaining about the British establishment whilst watching the Open  ;D

Not that, it was just a bit of a shit nickname I thought.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4311 on: July 18, 2022, 09:37:09 am »
I think it is a bit lazy to be saying Rory bottled it, he didnt make  any bogeys. I would understand if he was missing putts from 4 feet, little bit of an injustice to Smith as well to say Rory bottled it.

LIV I see rearing its head again

The Garcia stuff it was a bit nasty from Thomas Bjorn to be saying that but Garcia has made his bed so he can lie in it, Cant have much sympathy for him when he says he is not bothered if he doesnt play in the majors.

It does worry me LIV will ruin the Ryder cup, Several future captains have joined so that will be them ruled out (Westwood, McDowell, Garcia and Poulter), and it looks like Stenson decided to sell out too. I do wonder who will replace them, Luke Donald will be probably nailed on now and maybe Paul Lawrie or Robert Karlsson down the line.

LIV will kill the team events stone dead soon. America have top class players coming out of their ears, they've more than they know what to do with. Europe doesn't have that. They've already taken out half of Europe's potential captains for the next 2 decades and probably more to come. If they get hold of the current playing talent at any point it'll be a waste of time. Europe wouldn't get 10 points without a Rahm or McIlroy.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4312 on: July 18, 2022, 09:58:54 am »
LIV will kill the team events stone dead soon. America have top class players coming out of their ears, they've more than they know what to do with. Europe doesn't have that. They've already taken out half of Europe's potential captains for the next 2 decades and probably more to come. If they get hold of the current playing talent at any point it'll be a waste of time. Europe wouldn't get 10 points without a Rahm or McIlroy.
Hovland and Fitzpatrick will step up next time I am sure. Lowry and Hatton can hold their own. Fleetwood maybe too but I feel like I am clutching at straws

Need a few more to come through

Also a flip side is if some of the Americans arent allowed play for selling out too. It would rule out Koepka, Reed, De Chambeau, Johnson. Even without them Rome could be a massacare

I do feel we could witnessing the beginning of the end of Ryder cup, shame as I am obsessed with it

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4313 on: July 18, 2022, 10:01:54 am »
Hovland and Fitzpatrick will step up next time I am sure. Lowry and Hatton can hold their own. Fleetwood maybe too but I feel like I am clutching at straws

Need a few more to come through

Also a flip side is if some of the Americans arent allowed play for selling out too. It would rule out Koepka, Reed, De Chambeau, Johnson. Even without them Rome could be a massacare

I do feel we could witnessing the beginning of the end of Ryder cup, shame as I am obsessed with it

Thing is I'd say only DeChambeau and Johnson would be certain to play their way in everything being equal anyway. The top 20 is absolutely packed with Americans if they lose a few it's no big deal and they're just churning them out non stop.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4314 on: July 18, 2022, 10:03:53 am »
Yes looking at the world top 20 you have several new players potentially in Sam Burns, Billy Horschel, Will Zalatoris and Cameron Young

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #4315 on: July 18, 2022, 10:48:52 am »
Huge day for McIlroy. Never will a major course be set up to favour him like this again. You have eagle chances on about 7 holes. His driving is his main asset and on a course that has no defence to it, he's been clinical. He's yet to throw in a silly mistake to derail him and if he keeps his tempo the same as he has so far then Hovland and any chasers will have to shoot a 64 or better to win IMO.

I've said it more than once but so much of it is in his head with the majors. 8 years without one. Coming into this he was the favourite, in red-hot form, he was the golden prince in terms of his response to the danger of LIV and the course as I said is perfect for him. I don't want to say it is now or never, but this is the best chance he'll have to break that major drought.

I said one of his chasers will have to shoot a 64 and Cam Smith did exactly that. Rory didn't throw it away in a meltdown sense, he just tried to play prime Tiger golf on a major Sunday: make no mistakes, chalk off the holes and force your opponents to make the errors. But he failed to grasp that the course was yielding low scores and he was sat in cruise control while Cameron Smith flew down the outside. Once he noticed him it was too late. His putter was cold as ice, he two putted every single green! That isn't going to get it done unfortunately. As Lee Trevino said, drive for show, putt for dough.

The course was set up for Rory and the big hitters. Rory, Cameron Young, Hovland, DJ, DeChambeau were all inside the top 10. Of course the course was made easier by the shorter holes and the fact it was baked out, but the course was perfect for Rory. The wind didn't get up. It gave plenty of chances with minimal defence. Yet when it truly mattered on a Sunday with a lead his putter didn't fire and he let it slip away. He will be hurting like you wouldn't believe right now.

I just have little faith he'll ever win another major. He's had many golden chances since his last one and he just can't get it done.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #4316 on: July 18, 2022, 11:07:19 am »
The Europeans who've joined the muderous dictatorship sportwashing farce are all in their 40s and fading.

European Ryder Cup teams would need to replace these players anyway.

As for the captains, if there is a shortage of potential new captains, there's nothing to rule out returning to the situation of the captain taking chage more than once. It always seemed like the move to just one term was to be able to fit in all the former players who wanted to be captain.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4317 on: July 18, 2022, 11:08:52 am »
The Europeans who've joined the muderous dictatorship sportwashing farce are all in their 40s and fading.

As for the captains, if there is a shortage of potential new captains, there's nothing to rule out returning to the situation of the captain taking chage more than once. It always seemed like the move to just one term was to be able to fit in all the former players who wanted to be captain.

Bring back Tony Jacklin!

But yeah, due to our success it suddenly felt we had a lot of former legends who wanted a crack at it. The player drain is more of an issue, especially if any younger players get their heads turned.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4318 on: July 18, 2022, 11:19:18 am »
At this stage, subject to further defections, to make it meaningful and competitive, they might want to make it the rest of the world v America. It just won't be the same though.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4319 on: July 18, 2022, 11:58:51 am »

I do think a lot of captains simply only want it once rather than a case of people getting turns.

The days of Gallacher and Jacklin doing it 3/4 times are well gone, loads wanted Paul Azinger to do it again and he showed no interest. Tom Watson did it again and it didnt work out. I know since mid 90s the likes of Sam Torrance and Lanny Wadkins were happy to be done after one go.