Author Topic: Ray Donovan  (Read 18914 times)

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Ray Donovan
« on: July 22, 2015, 10:14:44 am »
Any fans?

It's on its third season now and just gets better and better. Most enjoyable show on TV for me at the moment.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ray Donovan
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 10:17:36 am »
Ray is boss. Love the whole cast really, they're all great. Especially his two assistants, and Bunchy.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 10:20:01 am »
Not massively invested in Mickey if I'm honest. It's nailed on that everything he does turns to shite so I am not particularly paying attention to his latest "venture".

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 10:28:42 am »
Mickey's a massive fuckup but I still like him, somehow. It's the twinkle in Jon Voight's eye, just so mischievous.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 12:02:22 pm »
Love this show.

Season 3 has started strong,could be a interesting story developing with the Aryan Brotherhood which could be interesting.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Walk On

• Legacy Fan
  • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart ...
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 01:23:43 pm »
Thought there was already a thread about this... but could be that its just been mentioned in the TV show thread.

Anyway, loved the first season but the second came by in a flash so having to watch on demand.  So far so good...

Will probably have to do the same with season 3.
- Rebuilding the Bastion

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 02:50:31 pm »
Nearly missed the 1st one last wednesday,brilliant programme & Jon Voight is superb,hope the manc is not  gonna be overacting in every episode now though...

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 05:37:01 pm »
Especially his two assistants, and Bunchy.

had to laugh at Bunchy ripping the head off it in his office  ;D .....whatever happens with that wrestler bird..it aint goanner end well
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 3, 2015, 07:53:16 pm »
Blitzed through this lot in a few weeks and now upto date. Abby walking in on Bunchy, tits on the laptop and large lady pumping out breast milk was priceless. Love this program !!

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 5, 2015, 06:03:15 pm »
Been fantastic season 3 so far.

Also good to see the Dogo Argentino return at the end,Awesome breed. :D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #10 on: August 5, 2015, 06:23:26 pm »
Been fantastic season 3 so far.

Also good to see the Dogo Argentino return at the end,Awesome breed. :D

I was made up when I saw it! ...wanted to phone Abby and tell her to get the fuck home  ;D
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 11:35:29 am »
Just gets better&better,Jon Voight is bloody brilliant as the dad...

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 12:52:43 pm »
My favorite show right now.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:46:34 pm by RedSince86 »

Offline matlfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 01:12:01 pm »
Brilliant show. I dont think its going to end well for bunchy
They mostly come out at night, mostly.

Offline ArcticRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 01:38:51 pm »
Massive fan. Was wondering where to turn when Californication ended, and along came Ray. Messed up main character, messed up supporting characters. Just one big delicious mess, all done in style :)

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 12:31:59 pm »
Just caught up. Really enjoyable series and echo what has been said about Voight. He's brilliant.

Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 12:41:41 pm »
Only seen first 2 seasons, absolutely brilliant show. I'd recommend it to anyone.. Has a bit of everything.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 01:16:53 pm »
Just caught up. Really enjoyable series and echo what has been said about Voight. He's brilliant.

What a Legend Mickey is.

Gotta say though Id prefer less of that manc twat Lovejoy and more of the little blonde minx from the 1st series

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 02:49:01 pm »
Voight is good (although Mickey is somewhat of an annoying pain in the arse at times)....but it's Liev Schreiber who makes the show.....perennially pissed off, continually squeezed and put upon from every angle, the solitary rock in his fucked up, needy family...but keeps fighting, keeps sorting and keeps shagging...whataguy!

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2015, 03:00:38 pm »
Voight is good (although Mickey is somewhat of an annoying pain in the arse at times)....but it's Liev Schreiber who makes the show.....perennially pissed off, continually squeezed and put upon from every angle, the solitary rock in his fucked up, needy family...but keeps fighting, keeps sorting and keeps shagging...whataguy!

I see it differently im actually getting a bit annoyed at his character. He seems to profess loyalty to the wife when she offered him a divorce then goes back straight away shagging the bird off dawsons creek... least mickey is honest

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2015, 05:04:22 pm »
I see it differently im actually getting a bit annoyed at his character. He seems to profess loyalty to the wife when she offered him a divorce then goes back straight away shagging the bird off dawsons creek... least mickey is honest

Mickey..honest?  ;D

Not for nothing, but I think following a series for a few years as opposed to 'blitzing' it gives one a different perspective....Ray's behaviour is entirely in keeping with his character

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 08:56:04 am »
Haha Mickey is anything but honest. He likes himself above all and his sons at the rarest of times.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 09:49:20 am »
Mickey..honest?  ;D

Not for nothing, but I think following a series for a few years as opposed to 'blitzing' it gives one a different perspective....Ray's behaviour is entirely in keeping with his character

Honest was perhaps the wrong description, I meant Mickey, hes a bit of a wrong en thats who he is he doesnt hide it. Hes a lovable rogue, Ray on the other hand seems to be slipping into full blown alcoholism and sex addiction ha!! Damn good TV though!!

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 12:00:13 am »
Cracking episode again I thought - the standard has been such that this season really has flown over.....poised nicely now for a storming last couple of eps....btw,  I wouldn't trust Lovejoy as far as I could throw him....Ray beware

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 04:25:53 pm »
I see it differently im actually getting a bit annoyed at his character. He seems to profess loyalty to the wife when she offered him a divorce then goes back straight away shagging the bird off dawsons creek...

I know exactly what you mean about that, but I guess what I'd say in the show's defense is that it is in keeping with the gangster prototype - professing "honour" and "loyalty," then stabbing friends in the back in the interests of self-preservation, shagging anything that moves in the interests of consistent opportunism, etc. His behaviour is pretty typical of the archetype.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 02:35:09 am »
Thoughts to the Season 3 finale?

Mickey Donovan; hands down the most loveable dickhead on television right now.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 03:02:14 am »
Thoughts to the Season 3 finale?

Mickey Donovan; hands down the most loveable dickhead on television right now.

Spoiler
I feel like the one thing this show has always lacked is a bit of gravitas - it's just not quite heavy enough. You take an Elmore Leonard story - Leonard's are full of whimsy, sort of, and are often marked by the shortcomings of the criminal dunce. In others, the protagonist is a clever and capable guy whose capers either succeed through skill or fail because of bad luck, but even these are pretty light-hearted affairs. Ray Donovan is more like the latter, but lacking that trademark Leonard playfulness, it feels like it needs some more weight to compensate. I know his family is sort of up for grabs, and those are heavy spoils, but because of the relationship he has with them, they don't seem heavy enough. As enjoyable as it is to watch that ham Jon Voigt chew the bejeezus out of every scene he's in, Mickey doesn't have a shred of gravitas in him either. That's the core of his character, of course, he's a flyweight scam artist, but it just sort of adds to this kind of shallow feeling I get from the show.

In the finale, I felt like we needed something of real consequence to go down. The confession has heavy spiritual consequences for Ray, and the pregnancy has huge emotional consequences for Bunky, but I felt like we almost needed one of his brothers, or Mickey, or Avi, to die - it feels like the show needs that at some point soon. In a fictional world like this, when a very strong and capable character is put in constant jeopardy and always emerges with only the sort of "ephemeral" scars that we are seeing here (spiritual, emotional, etc.), it makes it increasingly harder for us to believe that anything will really happen to him - the next time he gets in a shootout with gangsters, we might not be as far out on the edge of our seat, because we know there is a secondary character there to take a bullet and provide "secondary" consequences for the action, like there was this time in the hotel with that prostitute. Her death has consequences for the brother and deepens his character, which is a good thing, but it feels like it's not enough - the core needs a fatality IMO.

The only reason I say all that is because I really enjoy the show and I think it could be even better than it is. As popcorn fare, it's fucking fun to sit through. It just doesn't quite reach the heights it might with some targeting practice.
[close]

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 10:02:40 am »
Shit, got to catch up on the end of this! Can't wait.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 10:46:43 am »
Red Mongoose is on the money.

Spoiler
While watching the episode I was thinking that someone from the main cast has to die. Be one of the brothers or Micky (impossible I know).

Now I hope the Armenian mafia wipes out the whole family. Starting from the annoying son.
[close]

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2015, 02:15:28 pm »
thought the ending was a bit meek. I really fucking hate his daughter.
cyas

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 3, 2015, 10:56:26 am »

Spoiler
I also agree that someone should have died in that ending, the show is good but it's starting to be completely consequence free. Is Ray really letting the ex-FBI guy who wants to take him down go free, with a bullet in him and every reason to try and fuck Ray over again?

The son and daughter are terribly annoying, I can't decide which one I would rather see maimed by the Armenians.

Still enjoyed it though.
[close]

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #31 on: October 5, 2015, 10:57:39 pm »
disagree that it needs more gravitas - I think it tried for that in the first season with an over-reliance on the child abuse storyline and it was in danger of becoming a real drag....personally I much prefer it the way it is now..this season positively zipped by... for me, other shows can fill the deep, dark, heavy remit.....why not just, you know...enjoy what is one of the most enjoyable crime drama's on TV?...

agreed on the daughter though...total pain in the arse

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #32 on: October 6, 2015, 10:56:16 am »
I enjoyed it but some things keep happening all over again. The same pattern. Ray's relationship with his father, his wife and his daughter. The son may not exist at all.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #33 on: October 6, 2015, 12:58:52 pm »
The son may not exist at all.

if only...

Offline KOP1975

• Feb 5: “Hurt the pockets of the club not the team on the pitch as the team needs all the help it can get right now.” Feb 7: “i never want to see Sakho-shit ever play for us again. He needs to be binned big time.” <— 'Helping' the team....?
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #34 on: November 5, 2015, 02:01:54 pm »
Love this programme.

I binge watch this. Record all of them on the Sky+ box and watch 2 or 3 a night.
Just finished ep 6 of series 3
Loving Ian McShane as Andrew Finn. Im a huge McShane fan and often see him in the cafe near where I work. I always tell him I love him in this and Deadwood.
Very nice man.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #35 on: November 6, 2015, 11:35:16 am »
Does he talk back?

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 7, 2015, 01:25:42 am »
Does he talk back?

"Bring me a scone please, cocksucker."  :P

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 7, 2015, 04:45:11 am »

Spoiler
While watching the episode I was thinking that someone from the main cast has to die. Be one of the brothers or Micky (impossible I know).

Now I hope the Armenian mafia wipes out the whole family. Starting from the annoying son.
[close]
Agree, all about Voight for me, Ray pales in comparison.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2016, 04:15:48 pm »
YAY - New series starts on 26th but apparently there is an advanced screening somehow (US only though I think)

However - ITS BEEN UPPED

FUCK YEAH!

Just watched it, looks like its going to be an interesting series
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:41:41 pm by Igor Tripod Biscan »
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 4, 2016, 09:02:03 am »
Back on Sky Atlantic tonight.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40