Author Topic: A Christopher Nolan Thread  (Read 50022 times)

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
Re: Interstellar (Christopher Nolan's next film).
« Reply #160 on: October 29, 2014, 03:58:40 pm »
Er..

He's currently making Avatar isn't he?

Yeah but there's no way these movies will be as good as the Terminators, Aliens, The Abyss and True Lies.

And...Titanic.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2014, 03:59:46 pm »
Yeah but there's no way these movies will be as good as the Terminators, Aliens, The Abyss and True Lies.

And...Titanic.

He's producing a Terminator series too though. Or at least, that's what was going around the internet a few months ago.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: October 29, 2014, 06:01:44 pm »

Plus he set himself up for criticism in TDKR with lines like this  "the biggest (film) anyone's done since the silent era"
How? He didn't mean big in terms of popularity & importance, he was referring to the cast and crew size and them using 11,000 extras. It was a legitimate point.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #163 on: October 29, 2014, 07:42:26 pm »
Nolan on CH4 news, bloody nice bloke.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: November 3, 2014, 05:45:25 am »
Anyone seen this at a preview or anything ?

How's it being received ? Most reviews suggest it's more Gravity (IMO Utter turd) than 2001, which is my gold standard for space films.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #165 on: November 3, 2014, 06:04:48 am »
Gravity is ace, be lucky to be that good
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: November 3, 2014, 06:10:16 am »
Gravity is ace, be lucky to be that good

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that one mate. I thought it was vapid.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #167 on: November 5, 2014, 12:15:36 am »
We're going to have to agree to disagree on that one mate. I thought it was vapid.

Gravity's aspirations as a movie are basically limited to the technical, which it achieves in flying colours.

Everything else is just "meh".

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: November 5, 2014, 12:36:58 am »
Agreed. Looked nice, but was utter bollocks.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #169 on: November 5, 2014, 01:07:58 am »
Agreed. Looked nice, but was utter bollocks.

Elaborate.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #170 on: November 5, 2014, 10:39:43 am »
I think Gravity at the cinema was a fantastic experience... I went with such low expectations and ended up really liking it.
The effects were incredible but in parts it was quite thoughtful and moving.
Maybe I was just in the right mood at the time to appreciate it - it's not an amazing movie but neither is it crap.
It's above average I'd say, a 6.5 - 7 out of 10.
Been meaning to watch again on Blu-Ray since...I've heard it holds up well watching at home so we'll see.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2014, 10:44:20 am by johnsmithlfc »
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: November 5, 2014, 11:07:22 am »

Exactly

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #172 on: November 5, 2014, 12:53:50 pm »
Anyone seen this at a preview or anything ?

How's it being received ? Most reviews suggest it's more Gravity (IMO Utter turd) than 2001, which is my gold standard for space films.

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't agree with you.

Gravity was great, made me feel sick watching it. I don't understand the comparisons though, Gravity is more or less an experience in a movie theatre rather than a movie.

And it was never going to be like 2001, so both comparisons are bad.
:D

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: November 5, 2014, 01:18:26 pm »
Elaborate.
It was a spectacle and more of a vehicle for 3d technology for a cinema going experience than an actual film. I tried watching it on TV for the first time since seeing it in the theatre, and without the 3d aspect, which was admittedly outstanding, it was just an extremely shallow film. It might sound odd, but I think that is down to the fact that I couldn't get past that it was just George Clooney being George Clooney, and Sandra Bullock being herself. I was never convinced by either one of them.  It felt like a vehicle for their star power. Had it been two unknowns, and maybe even from a different country, then I think it could have been more interesting.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #174 on: November 5, 2014, 01:43:02 pm »
It was a spectacle and more of a vehicle for 3d technology for a cinema going experience than an actual film. I tried watching it on TV for the first time since seeing it in the theatre, and without the 3d aspect, which was admittedly outstanding, it was just an extremely shallow film. It might sound odd, but I think that is down to the fact that I couldn't get past that it was just George Clooney being George Clooney, and Sandra Bullock being herself. I was never convinced by either one of them.  It felt like a vehicle for their star power. Had it been two unknowns, and maybe even from a different country, then I think it could have been more interesting.

I didn't get that feeling at all, it felt like they barely mattered at all and the focus was on the chaos. I don't think I've ever felt relief at a movie like I did when Sandra Bullock got to land. In fact i don't think I've ever had such a raw feeling at all watching a movie. Incredible experience, I doubt Interstellar is anything like as good as that.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #176 on: November 5, 2014, 03:54:31 pm »
I'm more of a fan of space movies that .make you think rather than feel. 2001 of course being amazing, and I hope Interstellar falls somewhere between Gravity's lame story but great visuals and 2001's great story, great visuals.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: November 5, 2014, 04:23:00 pm »
Gravity doesn't have a 'lame' story.  It's not breaking any new ground in its storytelling as it's comparatively simple to works such as 2001 but it is engaging and exciting albeit aided by the visuals (but aren't all movies?). 

I do agree that the movie loses something when viewed on a little CRT tele in a terraced house in Burnely though.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2014, 04:27:00 pm by wampa1 »

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #178 on: November 5, 2014, 04:24:04 pm »
Anyone see the Graham Norton show?

Mcounaghey and Hathaway were on and said they were blown away by this when they first got briefed. Said Noland has stepped it up from his other films... that sounds exciting.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #179 on: November 5, 2014, 04:45:33 pm »
75% fresh on RT. Just glancing at the negative reviews it seems the big complaint is it's too long. I suspect that's down to the viewer rather than the film. I've never felt any of his films were too long.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #180 on: November 5, 2014, 05:16:05 pm »
75% fresh on RT. Just glancing at the negative reviews it seems the big complaint is it's too long. I suspect that's down to the viewer rather than the film. I've never felt any of his films were too long.

There is a consensus that headlining 'Blockbusters' shouldn't be over something like 132 minutes or something daft like that. Folly of course, but that daft little notion is ingrained into some people over whip and chain. 
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: November 5, 2014, 05:27:19 pm »
I didn't get that feeling at all, it felt like they barely mattered at all and the focus was on the chaos. I don't think I've ever felt relief at a movie like I did when Sandra Bullock got to land. In fact i don't think I've ever had such a raw feeling at all watching a movie. Incredible experience, I doubt Interstellar is anything like as good as that.
I just thought it got a bit silly in places. There's already been a film that does what Gravity does, only it does it right, or much better. Apollo 13. A far more convincing film, similar in context, although much more tense because it was plausible. The Wall-E fire extinquisher moment just completely pulled me out of the film to the extent I just wanted it to end there and then. You could argue things like that are for the sake of the film, but I'd have just preferred it if it were a little bit more realistic. There was too much "Hollywood" moments in there for my personal taste.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #182 on: November 5, 2014, 06:43:54 pm »
There is a consensus that headlining 'Blockbusters' shouldn't be over something like 132 minutes or something daft like that. Folly of course, but that daft little notion is ingrained into some people over whip and chain.
Yeah, although long flicks can drag if poorly paced, I'd prefer we get to see as much of the creators' vision as is reasonably viable than to have the butchered entrails of an epic that neatly fits everyone's business schedule. Fuck that, you can buckle me in for 5 hours as long as it's a feast for the mind and senses.

They should bring back the concept of the Intermission in modern film. Then all the wimps can bail halfway through, leaving the soldiers of cinema to see it through to its satisfying conclusion.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: November 5, 2014, 06:45:19 pm »
It's actually more difficult to make a shorter film than it is a longer one.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #184 on: November 5, 2014, 06:47:29 pm »
^ True enough, but some flicks should be epics. It's padding that's the problem.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: November 5, 2014, 09:07:24 pm »
^ True enough, but some flicks should be epics. It's padding that's the problem.
Agreed. However, it's when directors and studios feel the need to make it mandatory that's the problem. That's when the "padding" comes in and a film can end up just feeling bloated. I feel that at least two of Nolan's Batman films suffer from this, and a good few of Marvel films do too. Once an origin story is put to the side, the following sequels should all be lean and condensed films. They'd be so much better for it.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #186 on: November 6, 2014, 05:03:16 am »
I'm pretty sure Nolan doesn't think any of his movies have padding. And I'm pretty sure of all directors, he has the most authority to tell studios to piss off if they ask him to pad a movie.

Anyway, don't studios normally err on the side of a shorter movie? Most stories are about long movies being cut down to size (Black Dahlia, Heaven's Gate, The Magnificent Ambersons etc.) and made incomprehensible rather than the other way round.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: November 6, 2014, 03:09:16 pm »
Just back from this.  Certainly has its flaws but thoroughly engaging and entertaining. Solid 8/10 film. Like inception but probably just below the dark Knight. Still a way below 2001 but miles better than gravity.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #188 on: November 6, 2014, 11:37:04 pm »
Heading into this now. I hope it's at least..

...alright alright alright

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #189 on: November 7, 2014, 01:08:18 am »
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #190 on: November 7, 2014, 03:45:57 am »
Pretty good. Lasts forever, and I'm not sure it's very rewatchable, but definitely worth seeing. In imax, if you can.

Offline Saint Kopite

• but Greavesie's in the Main Stand
  • Legacy Fan
  • “By what right does the wolf judge the lion?”
« Reply #191 on: November 7, 2014, 09:11:45 am »
Just came back from watching it. The last half an hour or so left me in awe. The background music gave me proper chills.
A Liverbird upon my chest, we are the men of Shankly's best. A team that plays the Liverpool way, and wins the championship in May.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: November 7, 2014, 12:43:59 pm »
Cant wait to see this now. 8PM Imax showing is sold out so debating going for the 11:45PM showing tonight.

Be getting home around 3am!
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: November 7, 2014, 03:59:45 pm »
I've been very critical of Nolan lately but I loved every moment of this. Incredibly well done, beautiful music and visuals, gets the emotion spot on
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: November 7, 2014, 04:11:20 pm »
I absolutely loved it.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: November 7, 2014, 04:13:49 pm »
F*ck it just booked for the midnight IMAX showing tonight.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: November 7, 2014, 04:49:11 pm »
Just saw this today, I thought it was pretty awesome. The sound (and at times lack of) was really good, and some of the space scenes looked beautifully surreal. I had to suspend belief a little bit too much at times but other than that I enjoyed every second.

As a side note, I saw this at a VueXtreme screen and it really didn't seem as impressive as IMAX, although it's been a while since I saw an IMAX movie.

Online John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: November 7, 2014, 04:54:49 pm »
Just seen a 35mm print at Fact.

Really enjoyed it, visually spectacular, and a gripping story.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: November 7, 2014, 04:58:28 pm »
Go see it, won't be for everyone, Hans Zimmer is a shoe in for an oscar.   

No time for caution.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: November 7, 2014, 05:18:58 pm »
The problem this film has is that the expectations have been ramped up to epic proportions because of who the creator is and his previous body of work. Anything other than a complete masterpiece will not suffice for a lot of people and this has skewed opinion already I feel.