Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Ticket and Travel Info / Re: Members Sales
« Last post by DanK1456 on Today at 07:01:06 am »
Has anyone who bought in the 1+ sale had their pass update yet? Redownloading the pass usually works but that's not working. The ticket is showing as not printed on the account so I'm presuming they haven't loaded it on yet?

Bought tickets to City the day before the game and pass didn’t update until a few hours before kickoff. If it doesn’t you can tell the ticket office and they can sort you out with a paper ticket.
General Football and Sport / Re: The NHL Thread
« Last post by howes hound on Today at 06:59:03 am »
Overtime in the Boston - Toronto game is about to start
If you hit the fridge for another beer to take you through, you missed it. The next four hours of TV sports in Canada was a game post mortem. Which may have even arrived at the conclusion reached by hockey fans coast to coast long ago: putting 53% of your cap space into four forwards when you've got an iffy defence and so-so goaltending may not be a good idea. I thought Boston were indifferent, but still good enough to win.
General Football and Sport / Re: The Snooker thread
« Last post by Statto Red on Today at 06:58:49 am »
Got to agree with this to be honest ... we can't compare selling out in football to selling out in snooker. It's a joke that the winner of the worlds only gets less than a week's wages of what Jordan Henderson earned out in Saudi. Barry Hearn was right when he said the winner of the world championships should be getting £2m.

Yeah, this is a breakdown of the prize money on offer at the world championship

Winner: £500,000
Runner-up: £200,000
Semi-finalists: £100,000
Quarter-finalists: £50,000
Last 16: £30,000
Last 32: £20,000
Last 48: £15,000
Last 80: £10,000
Last 112: £5,000
Highest break (qualifying stage included): £15,000
A bonus of £40,000 is on offer for a maximum break made at the Crucible

You really need to be reaching the quarter finals to make any decent money, even then that might not be enough to pay bills & such

The Crucible itself iconic for Snooker, is quite a small venue, it only holds 980 people, the Alexandra Palace which hosts the masters has a much larger capacity.
General Football and Sport / Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Last post by mikey_LFC on Today at 06:42:26 am »
Sure, but you have to account for City's title-winning 92 pt average across 10 years. So the original point of 91 points being almost unheard of before City is pretty true. Chelsea was the first to break the 90pt mark, but City have done it 3 times since (+1 being 89), and they'll likely do it again this year. If you average the points total of the teams that came in 2nd the years City won the title, the league winners would've won the title with 85 points, well off City's average.

The average tally needed for Liverpool to win the league in the 2000-2009 period was to get above 88.3 points, so 89 was chosen was the target for the APLT. My point was that City over the last couple of years have come back to catchable levels not that they haven’t raised the bar at all. They’re no longer getting mid to high 90s, but high 80s to low 90s, which gives other sides more of a chance. Basically it’s easier to beat this City than the one we lost out to previously.

To move this back to debate relevant to this thread though, it is also a point to say that for those fearing that an Arsenal win would somehow put Arteta on a level pegging with Klopp, that wouldn’t bear out in the numbers when comparing their title wins or the competition they faced during the seasons they didn’t win the title. Arsenal lost out to a City side that didn’t achieve an extraordinary total last season, despite being 2nd most of the way, (meaning they were pushed to get a high total in reality) and this year, for Arsenal to win, City would have to have regressed from where they were last year again. Unfortunately the ridiculous media wouldn’t bring this up and you’d hear the stupid comparisons, but it’s worth stating to make it clear. The only side to get 90+ points and not win the league is us, twice.

Arteta is showing himself to be a top manager, people don’t like it, but he is. But to preempt any of the predictable nonsense, he is nowhere near Klopp. He may come to be over time as he is still young, but for now at least, he is behind by a distance. Not only has he won far more in other competitions, when he’s achieved points totals in the league that no other legitimate side has ever achieved in a 38 game season in England, a record I don’t think will ever be beaten, that also includes having a record points total achieved for a Champions League winner, even if we didn’t do the double. He’s achieved more seasons above 90 points than any other Premier League manager too. All of this is missed when evaluating him and dismissing points totals as almost insignificant compared to titles, but it shows he was able to create teams greater than almost anything else we’d seen before.

Anyway, let’s just hope we get to see City wiped off the face of the Earth when the charges are dealt with, at which point I will thoroughly enjoy our future title contests with Arsenal, and can simply say fair play to them if they pip us to the post.
General Football and Sport / Re: Skybet Championship Thread
« Last post by The North Bank on Today at 06:40:26 am »
Birmingham went down again!! Love it.

Birmingham and Stoke, two teams were rock bottom is too high for them, keep going down.
Assuming the Villa result goes well, we could have the pleasure of mathematically ending Spurs' top 4 hopes right? It the least we could do after their nonsensical reaction to beating us last game.
General Football and Sport / Re: The Snooker thread
« Last post by meady1981 on Today at 06:31:08 am »
If you’re Ronnie O’Sullivan, lauded as the greatest player of all time, and consistently talked of as one of the most talented sportspeople pound for pound that there is, you’re probably going to be a little underwhelmed that your 30year career winnings is about the same as Thiagos takings for being injured for a year. I’m not sure it’s even purely the money that’s the factor for him he’s always appeared pretty frugal for what he is. He seems to want to just be pampered and have first class amenities that other sports figures do, which they offer in Asia. Let’s face it, Snooker in Britain is still amateur hour and Hearn and co see him as a necessary annoyance. That’s probably why things like the door being open and people bumbling around get to him so much.

I’m not necessarily agreeing with any of this. The Fawlty Towers aspect of snooker is why me and my wife still watch it. It is ridiculous sometimes but beautifully charming. I can understand why he would want out and to be treated like a god though. That’s what all genius’s want.
The thread has turned to Endo in a Nunez thread. My opinion on Endo is when space is compressed and the gaps are small and in front of him he is excellent but when spaces open up (a big pitch like Manu away) or he gets turned around he has zero recovery pace. Also, Jones got injured and returned a shell of a player which hasn't helped our defensive shape. Jota and Jones getting injured vs Brentford put paid to our title challenge.

Yeah it had apologies for nibbling on a post before. Just irks me that stuff turns into a blame-fest for whoever people decide they want to blame for something when I’m of the opinion it’s not one person’s fault, it’s a collaborative approach and there’s no need to be a fall person for a decision backfiring or not going to plan.

As for Moleiro above, reminds you of a certain little Brazilian we sold to Barca for a fortune. After spending most of last summer seeing the Spanish press linking us to Gabri Veiga only for him to end up in Saudi, I won’t get my hopes up. It’s rare that the big Spanish clubs let a genuine star slip through their nets but this summer - with Real stacked and Barca needing to sell - they just might. Will be interesting to see what happens to Carvalho in the summer if we’re in the market for that type of player. I thought Slot might have given him a chance but I feel like he’s another Solanke, he needs 150-200 games elsewhere before being ready to play for a top club.
Page 115. Yeah either fill it with 115, like in the Cheats thread, or close it.
General Football and Sport / Re: Everton - The 777 Unflushables
« Last post by Brain Potter on Today at 06:22:44 am »
Is there a situation where 777 go tits up and MSP for example get to pay less for the club as that 200m 777 are owed is written off? Or will the creditors of that fiasco come after Everton for the money?

I can't see how Everton would be liable if 777 go under before they actually own Everton ; he can't have secured the lending against any Everton asset ? I don't know how it works.

If they do become EFC owners however I think it would be different..   

I cannot see how the Premier League can possibly approve these guys as suitable owners.

I think by pontificating for months and months, the PL has made the situation worse...if they'd just knocked them back from the start EFC wouldn't be in so deep with them, but they've strung them along for months so to speak. They've made a bad situation dire.

I really can't see any way out for them unless Moshiri starts funding again (doubtful) or they find another buyer...but how much is the club worth ?
Say Moshiri wants £600 M.... there is probably the same in debt to pay off, and £200 M to finish a stadium..

The blueshite think they're going to sell Branthwaite for £120m to Man Utd and all their problems are over..

Haven't they got an obligation to pay £27M for Beto this summer ?

To call it a mess doesn't do it justice.     

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]