Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3475043 times)

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #320 on: March 12, 2006, 10:25:32 pm »
Just come in from seeing El Lobo at the cinema. Spanish film as you might have guessed, about ETA in 1975. I don't know much about the Spanish/Basque and Franco situations but the Spaniard I was with (who had seen it before) reckons it's pretty accurate, and as a film it was very well done. All my favourite things in a film - good story, guns and cars, decent sex scene without the soppy love story, some witty dialogue/asides, and good scenery especially the bits filmed in Madrid and Barcelona.

It means The Wolf, by the way - I wouldn't mind seeing it again subtitled in English rather than French. There's a festival of Spanish Cinema going on in a nearby town here which is how it came to be back on the big screen, but sadly no Almodóvar.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #321 on: March 12, 2006, 10:36:14 pm »
Cheers for the tip Elli, sounds good. I'm going to Barcelona for 2 months in the summer so I'll try to check that out before I go.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: March 13, 2006, 12:01:51 pm »
Watched three films over the weekend and was very impressed with 2 of them:

The Proposition; thought this was excellent, great performances particularly from Danny Huston as Arthur Burns. The “Irish” manage to get the accents fairly spot on, and there is one scene involving a spear through Gut Pearce and the subsequent shooting of the Aborigine that will leave you wincing! Very violent but highly recommended

Wolf Creek; brilliant. One of the scariest films I have ever seen. Don’t be fooled by the slow start to the film, it sets it up nicely for the finale. Hard to know how much of this actually happened, but it is very good, if a little disturbing.

Lord of War; not great. It is watchable, no doubt about it, but I just didn’t enjoy it. Nic Cage is good in it, and there are a few good scenes, but its instantly forgettable!
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #323 on: March 13, 2006, 02:06:45 pm »
;D if by fucking boss you mean Matrix-esque first two minutes followed by Red Dwarf trying to be a less well scripted, serious (or do I mean credible) sci-fi film, then yeah I agree 100%... And then there's the aspects of Dune and 28 Days Later... Oh and Lord of the Rings, with the random unnecessary other language. Good fun though.

That's incredibly harsh. Not a Buffy fan, then?

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: March 13, 2006, 03:09:40 pm »
That's incredibly harsh. Not a Buffy fan, then?

Dissuade me ;D

Can't really comment about Buffy, probably seen a total of about 5 minutes of it but never particularly fancied watching more.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #325 on: March 13, 2006, 03:46:38 pm »
Dissuade me ;D

Can't really comment about Buffy, probably seen a total of about 5 minutes of it but never particularly fancied watching more.

Ok, firstly, I thought your comments were a little unfair. The fact that elements of Serenity reminded you of other stuff doesn't mean it was lifted from that other stuff.

Joss Whedon, who wrote and directed, has strengths and weaknesses. He writes very snappy dialogue, funny too. He also writes, screenplays and directs cracking good stories. I thought this movie was ripping fun from start to finish.

As usual with Whedon stuff, it's hard to take too seriously. It was a little bit scary, but not really, some scenes that were a little disturbing but not really. He also clearly loves the hand to hand stuff, and it shows. The fight scenes were as good as anything any westerner is doing these days.

Whedon also stands apart from most film makers working today in one respect. He writes and directs strong female roles, and this film was no exception.

Oh, and as for Buffy, well modern mythology if you ask me (and you did!). I remember one episode that was so good, the Guardian devoted a one off piece to it. It was an episode where Buffy's mum dies, not by any supernatural means but by a brain hemorrhage. The remarkable thing was that there wasn't one note of music, theme or incidental, in the entire episode. It was eerie, chilling and as good a study of the first few days of grieving as I have seen in any medium.

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: March 13, 2006, 05:54:56 pm »
Ok, firstly, I thought your comments were a little unfair. The fact that elements of Serenity reminded you of other stuff doesn't mean it was lifted from that other stuff.

Where did I say it was?!

Fair enough, I'm sure a film connoiseur can find things within the film interesting, and knowing the director's other work gives you some benchmarks etc, but purely from the point of view of someone looking for an entertaining (tick) credible (nah-ahh) film, it only scored half marks with me.

When I'm watching something like Red Dwarf, the bits that are blatantly in a studio add to the fact that it's a comedy/spoof, and anyway the script would be funny enough to carry it. Serenity seemed to me to attempt to pass itself off as a 'serious' (in so far as sci-fi can be serious) film, but then just had these completely silly things going on. I thought it was shite, to be honest, at the same time as having a laugh.

The vast majority of the time, though granted not always, when I sit down to watch a film I'm looking to be entertained, amused, shocked, informed, convinced and I honestly couldn't care less about the strong female roles. I'm not a film buff and I never will be because I just don't care about that side of it, for the same reason as I never know which bands are on which label and who manages what. Just let me play the record.

Maybe that strikes you as unbelievably narrow-minded and ignorant. There are other people who react like this to things I regard as infinitely fascinating, and sometimes I feel a bit frustrated that they can't see what I do - if you're like that with films, then fair play to you, but I'm not. When I express an opinion about a film, it's nothing personal about its makers or fans, it's a straightforward summary of how I reacted to it.

The musically silent episode of Buffy sounded interesting though, will keep an eye out for a chance to see that.

:wave
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 05:57:55 pm by Elli »

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #327 on: March 13, 2006, 05:58:03 pm »
Oh, and as for Buffy, well modern mythology if you ask me (and you did!). I remember one episode that was so good, the Guardian devoted a one off piece to it. It was an episode where Buffy's mum dies, not by any supernatural means but by a brain hemorrhage. The remarkable thing was that there wasn't one note of music, theme or incidental, in the entire episode. It was eerie, chilling and as good a study of the first few days of grieving as I have seen in any medium.
Iseem to remember another one without any dialogue, almost like a slient movie?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 06:00:07 pm by Party Phil »

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #328 on: March 13, 2006, 06:12:04 pm »
Iseem to remember another one without any dialogue, almost like a slient movie?

Don't remember that but I do recall an entirely musical one. That's right, as in all the main characters singing their lines.

Maybe that strikes you as unbelievably narrow-minded and ignorant. There are other people who react like this to things I regard as infinitely fascinating, and sometimes I feel a bit frustrated that they can't see what I do - if you're like that with films, then fair play to you, but I'm not. When I express an opinion about a film, it's nothing personal about its makers or fans, it's a straightforward summary of how I reacted to it.

Sorry if I sounded critical. I wasn't trying to be. I don't mind at all that you didn't see it the way I did. I'm a fan of the guy's work and wouldn't have watched the movie at all if I hadn't seen his name at the top of it.

I'm not much of a film buff either, but I am rather chuffed that I took a few quid off the bookies for the Oscars - Crash at 4/1 for best film. Now that was a movie I hope we can agree on?

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: March 13, 2006, 06:25:29 pm »
Cool :thumbup :wave

(I haven't seen Crash yet, it's on the list...)

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #330 on: March 13, 2006, 10:49:12 pm »
Just got back from seeing The Hills Have Eyes and I give it a big :thumbup
Fucking sick as fuck, if you liked Switchblade Romance (aka Haute Tension) you'll love it. It's made by the same director (Alexandre Aja) but it's set in the New Mexico desert and is in English which perhaps makes it more accessible (although maybe more predictable). A family are travelling across the desert to get to California for a holiday and they get ambushed by a group of freaks who live in the hills and mutated because of the Nuclear weapons testing carried out there in the 50's.

Highlights include mutants raping, breast feeding off, burning alive, shooting, axing  & eating people. They also kill and eat a dog and try to shoot a baby in the face. Hope I haven't spoilt it for anyone, but there should still be enough mutant based carnage to keep you on the edge of your seats.

It makes M. Night Shyalaman and Wes Craven (who incidentally is credited as a producer) look like pussies and even rivals some of Cronenberg's finest scenes. Although it draws heavily on Tobe Hooper's Texas Chainsaw Massacre for inspiration (and as I said it is fairly predictable in this respect), it is still an excellent offering in the horror genre. All in all it's thoroughly entertaining fayre, I award this film 8 out of 10 :D

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #331 on: March 13, 2006, 10:53:17 pm »
Fucking sick as fuck, if you liked Switchblade Romance (aka Haute Tension) you'll love it. It's made by the same director (Alexandre Aja) but it's set in the New Mexico desert and is in English which perhaps makes it more accessible (although maybe more predictable). A family are travelling across the desert to get to California for a holiday and they get ambushed by a group of freaks who live in the hills and mutated because of the Nuclear weapons testing carried out there in the 50's.

Highlights include mutants raping, breast feeding off, burning alive, shooting, axing  & eating people. They also kill and eat a dog and try to shoot a baby in the face. Hope I haven't spoilt it for anyone, but there should still be enough mutant based carnage to keep you on the edge of your seats.

It makes M. Night Shyalaman and Wes Craven (who incidentally is credited as a producer) look like pussies and even rivals some of Cronenberg's finest scenes. Although it draws heavily on Tobe Hooper's Texas Chainsaw Massacre for inspiration (and as I said it is fairly predictable in this respect), it is still an excellent offering in the horror genre. All in all it's thoroughly entertaining fayre, I award this film 8 out of 10 :D

Switchblade Romance is twisted. Genuinely nasty. And all the better for it.

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #332 on: March 13, 2006, 10:57:00 pm »
Switchblade Romance is twisted. Genuinely nasty. And all the better for it.
If you liked it try to get to The Hills Have Eyes, it's just come out at the Cinema this week.
Rated B for Brutal :)

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #333 on: March 13, 2006, 11:01:18 pm »
If you liked it try to get to The Hills Have Eyes, it's just come out at the Cinema this week.
Rated B for Brutal :)

Going on Thursday, probably. Will report back. I tried to warn my wife it was about disfigured freaks who behave like animals, and she just smiled wryly and said she was 'used to it'.

Fuck knows what she meant by that.

Offline owensy76

• A pain in the arse
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #334 on: March 13, 2006, 11:31:59 pm »

Craven directed the original low budget version. Always remember it from when i was a kid with the mad bald headed freak on the video cover. Will check this out, sometimes these mindless gorefest remakes ain't all that bad for a slice of mind numbing entertainment after a hard day at the office.
for the lad who posted he walked out of final destination 3 halfway through, what were you expecting ? jean paul belmondo smoking gitanes mooodily for an hour and a half ?? these kind of flicks do exactly what they say on the tin, it's hardly citizen kane but still a laugh for 90 minutes and the you've forgotten about it by the time you get home !!

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #335 on: March 13, 2006, 11:32:48 pm »
Tsotsi looks really good. Just watching the review on Film 2006 at the moment.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: March 14, 2006, 01:17:32 pm »
Going to see 'Why We Fight' this saturday, will report back. Should be excellent.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: March 14, 2006, 04:33:09 pm »
Amistad and the original Get Carter in a bargain bin in Carrefour.

They shall be mine this weekend, oh yes.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline The not so lazy.boy

• Suspected Naturist Shoplifter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make Us Dream
« Reply #338 on: March 16, 2006, 11:48:17 am »
Just watched 3 films...
Man on Fire
The Descent
and
The Business

All very good.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 02:23:09 pm by lazy.boy »
Same shit, Different day!

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #339 on: March 16, 2006, 12:09:08 pm »

The Decent

All very good.

Does what it says on the tin.

• Legacy Fan
  • Make Us Dream
« Reply #340 on: March 16, 2006, 12:20:36 pm »
You didn't like it then. Was it too scary for ya?

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #341 on: March 16, 2006, 12:21:35 pm »
You didn't like it then. Was it too scary for ya?

I thought it was descent enough.  :wave

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #342 on: March 16, 2006, 12:25:39 pm »
Does what it says on the tin.
I thought it was descent enough.  :wave

:lmao :roger

Lamb to the slaughter, my friend.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

• Legacy Fan
  • Make Us Dream
« Reply #343 on: March 16, 2006, 02:54:35 pm »
 ::)

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #344 on: March 17, 2006, 04:32:09 pm »
Got tickets to a preview of Spike Lee's new film, The Inside Man tomorrow night. Looking forward to it, if it's half as good as Do the Right Thing then we're in for a good night.

The Inside Man
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #345 on: March 17, 2006, 06:18:04 pm »
Got tickets to a preview of Spike Lee's new film, The Inside Man tomorrow night. Looking forward to it, if it's half as good as Do the Right Thing then we're in for a good night.

The Inside Man

Let us know if it's any good. The adverts make it look like it could be a good one.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #346 on: March 17, 2006, 07:23:30 pm »
Sitting here i remembered a Spike Lee Film.

Bamboozled, anyone seen it, and did anyone apart from me like it?

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: March 17, 2006, 07:31:22 pm »
Let us know if it's any good. The adverts make it look like it could be a good one.

Will do :)

Sitting here i remembered a Spike Lee Film.

Bamboozled, anyone seen it, and did anyone apart from me like it?

I've only ever seen Do the Right Thing, which is a shambles because 25th Hour, Jungle Fever, Malcolm X and Summer of Sam are all supposed to be good.

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #348 on: March 17, 2006, 07:36:01 pm »
Will do :)

I've only ever seen Do the Right Thing, which is a shambles because 25th Hour, Jungle Fever, Malcolm X and Summer of Sam are all supposed to be good.
Didn't like 25th Hour but it seems to be quite popular. Summer of Sam is quite entertaining but others I know aren't so keen. Maybe I have strange taste in films.
Haven't seen the others.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: March 18, 2006, 12:03:23 am »
Finally got round to watching 'Sideways' last night. Fucking well funny!

Enjoyed it that much I may watch it again tonight if I get the chance.  :D
Just seen it. Excellent, a road trip for the 40 somethings. It had some real laugh out loud moments. I like this  kind of slow paced movie that draws you in.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #350 on: March 18, 2006, 11:50:33 am »
"I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!!"

Yes, I watched Network last night, a film some six years older than myself. Peter Finch was brilliant i have to say. He had quite a few rambling monologue's that you couldn't take your eyes or ears from, excellent. I thought the script/dialogue was very good too, good acting all round and the message of the ranting loon was spot on as well. Reccomended for any folks too young to have took a young lady to the cinema when this came out, and possibly to those who did and enjoyed the young lady and not the screen.  :thumbup

Good stuff.

------

Also, some other's from 20+ years ago well worth a viewing for the younger lot;

Mean Streets - Early Scorsese, De Niro, Harvey Keitel. Good character film.
After Hours - Scorsese again, commented on this elsewhere. High suspense.
Manhatten - Woody Allen. Another good character film with great dialogue.
Cool Hand Luke - You've pretty much got to see this film.

**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: March 18, 2006, 01:16:23 pm »
Anyone seen Nightwatch? Is it any good?
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #352 on: March 18, 2006, 01:20:10 pm »

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: March 18, 2006, 01:24:33 pm »
Russian sci fi one.

Which is the best one?

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: March 18, 2006, 01:36:57 pm »
Ahhh. Just clicked on the second link.....you don't have the link for the Russian one. Didn't realise Greenaway was still knocking about the place?

The Cook, the Thief is his best.....Helen Mirren a star.

Didn't he (Greenaway) do one with Ewan McGregor? Was just thinking the other day how far McGregor has fallen in terms of his, well, in terms of where he's at. Working with George Lucas was a disaster for his career in many ways.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: March 18, 2006, 02:25:09 pm »
Anyone seen Nightwatch? Is it any good?

Saw Nightwatch towards the end of last year. It had a decent visual style but most of the dark Vs light story was cliched and muddled. It's worth seeing if you like that sort of thing but, as is often the case, the hype is stronger than the product imo.

Watched 28 Days Later last night. It's been on the pile for ages, seeing the trailer for tonight's showing on Channel 4 prompted me to watch it. Cool film. Nothing amazing and the army base scenes were a bit laboured but on the whole it was pretty solid.

Offline kev78

• Legacy Fan
  • Deep Shit
« Reply #356 on: March 18, 2006, 04:28:35 pm »
Watched 'Red Eye' the other night. Was ok but I thought it lost its way a bit once the action was on the ground rather than on the plane. It was a very short film as well and by the end I just thought it was all rather pointless.

Offline owensy76

• A pain in the arse
  • Kopite
« Reply #357 on: March 18, 2006, 10:45:09 pm »
Ahhh. Just clicked on the second link.....you don't have the link for the Russian one. Didn't realise Greenaway was still knocking about the place?

Didn't he (Greenaway) do one with Ewan McGregor? Was just thinking the other day how far McGregor has fallen in terms of his, well, in terms of where he's at. Working with George Lucas was a disaster for his career in many ways.
[/quote

The Cook, the Thief ... is that the one were Helen Mirren makes her husband eat her lover's body ? Boss film that !!

Quiet night in tonight, just about to stick " A History of Violence " on. Supposed to be a good flick. By the way, would be interested to hear what that new tarantino picture is like, if anyone's seen it yet ??

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: March 19, 2006, 04:27:28 am »
Am really looking forward to "V for Vendetta": I've been banging on around the same themes myself. Great to see something you're into put up on the big screen.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: March 19, 2006, 05:00:06 am »
Just watched 'Why We Fight'. A documentary about the American Military-Industrial complex. Winner of the Sundance Film Festival Grand Jury Award. Clean, precise, and powerful.

TRAILER

REVIEWS
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson