Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3474627 times)

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #240 on: January 22, 2006, 12:19:07 am »
Watched 'Starsky and Hutch' tonight on Sky, very, very funny but not to everyone tastes, you'll defo love it if you were a fan of the show as a kid. Stiller and Wilson have great chemistry as messers Starsky and Hutch, Vince Vaughn is great as the bad guy, features a funny cameo from the genius that is Will Ferrell, but the real star of the movie for me is Snoop Dogg as Huggy Bear. Fo Shizzle me Nizzle.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #241 on: January 22, 2006, 03:07:50 pm »
yes, very good. :wave

It was! Really enjoyed that, very impressed. Something very disturbing about seeing a theatre full of men cheering on the helicopters in the Ride of the Valkeries sequence of Apocalypse Now, with no sense of revulsion or irony. I thought it was an excellent war film, and quite an original take on the genre.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Beef

• Jerky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: January 22, 2006, 04:37:16 pm »
went to see, Fun With Dick and Jane......it was alrite, very funny at times, anyone else seen it?

Ordered it on DVD. ;D So when I get a good copy I'll watch it. I watched Back to the Future 2 last night. Got the boxset at Christmas and I fucking love it. The extras on it are really good, and it's a 4-disc for £12.99 so you won't hear me complaining. Saw King Kong as well the other night, was good, but not as good as I expected.

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: January 22, 2006, 08:20:48 pm »
It was! Really enjoyed that, very impressed. Something very disturbing about seeing a theatre full of men cheering on the helicopters in the Ride of the Valkeries sequence of Apocalypse Now, with no sense of revulsion or irony. I thought it was an excellent war film, and quite an original take on the genre.
the wanking scene made me cringe . ;D

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: January 22, 2006, 08:33:21 pm »
the wanking scene made me cringe . ;D

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It was a bit grim. :puke

Offline kev78

• Legacy Fan
  • Deep Shit
« Reply #245 on: January 23, 2006, 11:33:49 am »
Watched Green Street last night. It was ok in parts but nowhere near as good as Football Factory. It just didn't really seem to be very well thought out.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: January 23, 2006, 11:41:04 am »
Anyone seen the Horror film "Hostel" yet.

Just reading about it on IMDB. Looks really interesting.

Couple of Backpackers in Slovakia...etc etc etc...although it sounds familiar it is receiving really good reviews as the director used films such as the 'Wicker Man" as his inspiration.

Shall be "Obtaining" a copy very soon.

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: January 23, 2006, 11:41:08 am »
Watched Green Street last night. It was ok in parts but nowhere near as good as Football Factory. It just didn't really seem to be very well thought out.

Elijah Wood as a Football hooligan is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life. Plus the Cockney accent that the head of the GSE is trying to put on is embarassing, don't know where he's from but he's sure not a cockney.

The storyline just seems to be 'Football Factory with a yank' in it. But as you say there is a few good parts in it.

Offline kev78

• Legacy Fan
  • Deep Shit
« Reply #248 on: January 23, 2006, 11:50:01 am »

Just reading about it on IMDB. Looks really interesting.

Couple of Backpackers in Slovakia...etc etc etc...although it sounds familiar it is receiving really good reviews as the director used films such as the 'Wicker Man" as his inspiration.

Shall be "Obtaining" a copy very soon.

Looks pretty good that. Although having sat through the director's last effort, 'Cabin Fever', I'm a little bit dubious....

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #249 on: January 24, 2006, 10:35:34 am »

Seen the trailer, which was a bit loud and screechy but as a horror fan I'll give it a watch. Blurb at the end suggested it was based on true events, not sure how tenuous the link is but could make it even more grim than it appears it is going to be.

Saw a couple of movies over the weekend. Mean Creek, which was interesting but didn't quite realise its potential, and The Assassination of Richard Nixon, which I thought was a beautifully directed film, made all the better thanks to a sterling performance by Sean Penn.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #250 on: January 25, 2006, 02:02:40 pm »
Syriana - George Clooney, Jeffrey Wright, Matt Damon among others. Should be well liked by all those into the politics surrounding the oil business. Quite good.

Also saw Jarhead and liked that. I liked the angle it took avoiding the usual fighting scenes etc instead seeing things through the eye of the soldier. How accurate i'm not sure but it was good.
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2006, 11:30:50 am »
Watched 'Open Water' over the weekend.

A sort of Jaws meets Blair Witch (thats what it's pitched it as).

I started watching it and thought, yeah this is gonna be OK. The more i watched, the more i thought,what a pile of crap.

Although this is clearly a film made with an extremely low budget it still didn't excuse the painfully thin dialog and plot.

The pair of thitysomethings constantly bickering at each other whilst being endlessly circled by 'Pathetic Sharks'.

I wish the sharks would have scoffed them in the first half hour so i could of turned over and watched something else.

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2006, 02:20:53 pm »
I watched Life Aquatic with Steve Sissou last night.

What an absolute pearl of a film.

Bill Murray being a comic genius and seeing Willem Dafoe as ze german Klaus was fantastic and the whole movie is full of bizarre dialogue.
I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #253 on: January 26, 2006, 02:22:39 pm »

Bill Murray being a comic genius and seeing Willem Dafoe as ze german Klaus was fantastic and the whole movie is full of bizarre dialogue.

Fairly typical Wes Anderson fare, then?
This is a good thing, by the way  ;)

Offline Bullan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: January 26, 2006, 04:04:53 pm »
Fairly typical Wes Anderson fare, then?
This is a good thing, by the way  ;)
I must profess my learned friend that I have not seen any other Wes Anderson movie , so for me this was a first.

Infact I don't often see movies as I struggle with those in my own head. ;) But I'll certainly keep one eye on any future ventures of this director.

Edit.
Of course I have ... he did the Royal Tenenbaums
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 04:09:36 pm by Bullan »
I hate every ape I see.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #255 on: January 26, 2006, 06:03:35 pm »
I must profess my learned friend that I have not seen any other Wes Anderson movie , so for me this was a first.

Infact I don't often see movies as I struggle with those in my own head. ;) But I'll certainly keep one eye on any future ventures of this director.

Edit.
Of course I have ... he did the Royal Tenenbaums

Rushmore is well worth seeing, too- more Bill Murray.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: January 26, 2006, 06:29:20 pm »
Can't wait to see "Hidden/Cache" (sorry for the lack of accent). The Guardian described it on Friday as "the first great film of the 21st century". High praise indeed, and as a devotee of French cinema, I won't be missing it.

Not strictly French tho as it's been made by the German Michael Haneke... a modern day Werner Herzog (if I was pretending to be a lazy arse critic, which I am here). Definately on the 'must see' list. Have only seen one of his films *slaps own face with fish*, 'Funny Games' - which is simply unforgettable and absolutely terrifying. Nihilistic at times. He likes his French leading actresses it seems- Binoche, Isabel Huppert and Beatrice Dalle.

Went looking for that Guardian review and found this:

Paris braced for Michael Haneke's 'mystery' Mozart

Paul Arendt
Tuesday January 24, 2006
The Guardian

A wall of secrecy surrounds the Parisian National Opera production of Mozart's Don Giovanni, which opens this week on January 27, the composer's 250th birthday.
Nobody would raise an eyebrow if this was just another revival in a year already glutted with Mozart revivals. However, the production is the work of Michael Haneke, the film director renowned for his pitiless examinations of sadism, whose latest thriller, Caché ("Hidden"), won him the best director award at last year's Cannes festival.

Although Haneke has worked extensively in the theatre, Don Giovanni will be his first attempt at opera. The director has imposed on an information blackout on the production that rivals the secrecy measures decreed by Mike Leigh during the staging of his play Two Thousand Years at the National Theatre last year.
Not only has Haneke refused to give any interviews about the production, his stars are also forbidden to talk to the press. The poster, which shows a businessman behind a desk, suggests a modern-dress production. It stars the Swedish baritone Peter Mattei as the Don, and German soprano Christine Schäfer as Donna Anna.

Singer Mireille Delunsch, who plays the role of Elvira, dropped a few hints to the Agence France Presse about Haneke's rigorous working methods. "He has written his directions, point by point, like a script, down to the tiniest detail," she said. "Haneke has gone far in experimenting with human cruelty."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,,1693547,00.html

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: January 27, 2006, 02:22:07 am »
Just watched Empire Records again, what a film. Liv Tyler in her underwear, Rene Zellweger being all slutty and one of the funniest characters(Lukas) imaginable? Great stuff.

Also just seen Breakfast Club - some cracking moments in that one, too.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Bullan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: January 27, 2006, 09:33:49 am »
Rushmore is well worth seeing, too- more Bill Murray.

Duly noted Mr Claw.
Bill Murray is always a good thing .. I watched an old war film with him called Stripes last night .. fucking hilarious comedy.
I hate every ape I see.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.

Offline kev78

• Legacy Fan
  • Deep Shit
« Reply #259 on: January 27, 2006, 09:36:54 am »
Just watched Empire Records again, what a film. Liv Tyler in her underwear, Rene Zellweger being all slutty and one of the funniest characters(Lukas) imaginable? Great stuff.

Liv Tyler in her underwear - Must try to watch that film!  :lickin

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: January 27, 2006, 10:54:17 am »
Watched 'Open Water' over the weekend.

A sort of Jaws meets Blair Witch (thats what it's pitched it as).

I started watching it and thought, yeah this is gonna be OK. The more i watched, the more i thought,what a pile of crap.

Although this is clearly a film made with an extremely low budget it still didn't excuse the painfully thin dialog and plot.

The pair of thitysomethings constantly bickering at each other whilst being endlessly circled by 'Pathetic Sharks'.

I wish the sharks would have scoffed them in the first half hour so i could of turned over and watched something else.

Yeah I agree with you there, you could write a full in-depth review of that film in under 30 words.

Two posh sods go out to sea, get left behind, shit themselves, man gets leg bit off by shark, woman cries, man dies, woman drowns herself. The End.

:yawn

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: January 30, 2006, 06:57:10 pm »

I watched this the other night, it was quite good. A little different and some quirky, but subtle, comedic moments (When he punched him made me laugh out loud, classic). Some quality shots too, the walking scene at the end with Bowie's - Queen Bitch playing and the Shark scene with Sigur Ros - Staralfur playing was a beaut, made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: January 30, 2006, 08:22:48 pm »

Not sure how I hadn't seen that till yesterday, cheers again for the heads-up. Found Mark slightly funnier than Lucas, maybe because he's so like one of my friends... Awesome dialogue though, and a cracking film.

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #263 on: February 1, 2006, 02:53:39 am »
Can't wait to see "Hidden/Cache" (sorry for the lack of accent). The Guardian described it on Friday as "the first great film of the 21st century". High praise indeed, and as a devotee of French cinema, I won't be missing it.

Just seen it, outstanding, best cinematography EVER and features two of the most disturbing scenes ever commited to film.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #264 on: February 12, 2006, 11:44:19 pm »
I just watched "'Un Long Dimanche de Fiancailles" by Jean-Pierre Jeunet.  (English title: A very long engagement).  This is a very good movie.  I however haven't seen Amelie (same guy, same actress) as I don't think it is my type of movie to sit through....

My brother and I officially agree that the French are the best movie makers.  I ill check out "Cache" soon....

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #265 on: February 15, 2006, 12:37:47 pm »
Seems to be a bit of amour for French cinema on the thread at the moment. Haven't seen a great deal but I do recommend Haute Tension aka Switchblade Romance, a nasty (but very watchable) little horror film from Alexandre Aja, who's currently remaking - or is it 'reimagining'?- The Hills Have Eyes.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline james_f

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: February 15, 2006, 08:18:24 pm »
Just seen it, outstanding, best cinematography EVER and features two of the most disturbing scenes ever commited to film.

a fan of French cinema too.  Whens this film out?  And briefly whats it about?

Edit:  Have just seen its out on 17th Feb at FACT so will be probly be goin to see it then.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 08:21:44 pm by james_f »

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: February 15, 2006, 10:56:19 pm »
I finally got round to watching Match Point tonight. I didn't fancy this film, and I'm not really sure why, even the lure of Ms Johansson didn't have me aching to watch it, but i tell you what, it wasn't bad at all - well worth a viewing I'd say.

I also saw Me and You and Everyone We Know recently and quite enjoyed that too. Billed as an "ensemble piece about lonely people who find their lives connected in surprising ways" Its not large scale in any way, more so a closer knit bunch of folks but they have their effects in certain ways. It's slightly different, its one of those where you have to have some level of consciousness about you otherwise you'll just be bored I'd imagine, as it'd all just pass right over your head. Possibly one for the deep thinkers, though its not in any way hard work, you just have to relate in some way i guess.

Offline james_f

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: February 16, 2006, 01:20:31 am »
I finally got round to watching Match Point tonight. I didn't fancy this film, and I'm not really sure why, even the lure of Ms Johansson didn't have me aching to watch it, but i tell you what, it wasn't bad at all - well worth a viewing I'd say.

Have seen this. I'd say it's pretty average really, the first woody Allen film ive seen, I thought the chrachter development was a bit shit, not much depth to them, especially how the lead (cant remember his name) suddenly became a guy who seemed so "sexy" (sorry cant think of a good description) in the first ping pong scene with Johansson and then became a cheating bastard on his wife, then a murderer.  It all happened a bit fast for me really.

Like the way it all rests on whether the ball drops to one side or the other at the start and then rests on whether the ring goes over into the Thames or not at the end though.

And Scarlett Johansson is fucking amazing, good job my girlfriend looks like her  ;)

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• Don't you see what's going on out there? Everyone hates us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: February 16, 2006, 10:21:54 pm »
I just watched "'Un Long Dimanche de Fiancailles" by Jean-Pierre Jeunet.  (English title: A very long engagement).  This is a very good movie.  I however haven't seen Amelie (same guy, same actress) as I don't think it is my type of movie to sit through....

My brother and I officially agree that the French are the best movie makers.  I ill check out "Cache" soon....

I saw this at the weekend with the missus. It dragged on a bit
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: February 16, 2006, 10:40:25 pm »
Also watched Walk On Water by Eytan Fox. Cracking film and highly recommended.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0352994/
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: February 18, 2006, 12:19:23 am »
Went to see Cache tonight. Wow.

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: February 19, 2006, 12:41:06 pm »
Just watched a great Uruguayian film called Whiskey. Anyone else seen it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0331370/

Offline TommyP

• Kopite
« Reply #273 on: February 19, 2006, 01:15:48 pm »
watched final destination 3 the other night,

has anybody watched it? what did you make of the ending, dunno what happened, did they die or not  ???

:wave :wave :wave
electric feel

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #274 on: February 20, 2006, 08:02:05 pm »
Really looking forward to 'Me you and everyone we know' also fancy 'The heart is decietful above all things'

Recently watched some cracking stuff.

Kung Fu Hustle (fooking funny)
Brown Bunny (amazing film, despite next to no dialogue)
Kids (had an amazing effect on me when i was younger, still does today)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: February 20, 2006, 08:31:47 pm »
Really looking forward to 'Me you and everyone we know'

Saw it last week - really enjoyable and really weird.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #276 on: February 20, 2006, 08:31:52 pm »
Really looking forward to 'Me you and everyone we know'

watched it last night...erm!..quirky....I liked it and so did the missus!! so a ....... :thumbup

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: February 20, 2006, 08:38:50 pm »
watched it last night...erm!..quirky....I liked it and so did the missus!! so a ....... :thumbup

I hope you haven't been pooping back and forth...

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #278 on: February 20, 2006, 08:46:40 pm »
))<>((
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 08:52:24 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: February 20, 2006, 09:54:31 pm »