Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 850614 times)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #12960 on: May 30, 2020, 10:25:25 am »
Get it everywhere, Tesco, asda, sainsburys. Cider mixed with Jack, so then you add more Jack to it :D

Don't they say two wrongs don't make a right? :puke2

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12961 on: May 30, 2020, 10:38:08 am »
Needs a proper Hoegaarden glass as well, only seen them in London and a pub on the way to Middlesbrough that had it on draft and a few glasses which I relieved them of, need 'boro to come back up so I can get some more
FACT in town has the proper glasses.  I've liberated a couple over the years.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12962 on: May 30, 2020, 11:23:07 am »
Rules, Rescheduled Games and a Covenant Worth Preserving

The Premier League has finally resisted the temptation to pretend the 2019-20 season never happened. Doing so would have ruptured the bond between fans and the sport, perhaps forever.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/sports/soccer/rules-rescheduled-games-and-a-covenant-worth-preserving.html

Finally? It was never even realistically on the table  unless you watch Sky and listen to Joe "it's me glands" Anderson.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline MH41

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12963 on: May 30, 2020, 12:00:03 pm »
I turned the TV on this morning, and flicked through the SKY sports channels until I came across the Australian Rugby that was on live. I think it was their comeback week.
A few observations -

1. In the changing rooms, before the game, all the squad were hugging each other, clasping hands etc to wish one another luck. Compare that to the scrutiny that the players in the German leagues were put under when 'celebrating' goals.

2. The players sat in the changing rooms beside each other. (On their own chairs, but not 2 metres apart)

3. The players used the same ball, and obviously had to catch/handle it. And it wasn't sprayed with disinfected between each pass!

4. It was played behind closed doors, but there did appear to be crowd noise. And it appeared to be relevant crowd noise (eg attacking/scoring etc) I didn't watch long, but there seemed to be a decent atmosphere.

I appreciate that Australia and NZ have been more successful in their combat of the virus. But it almost appears that the public/press want to remove any enjoyment/normality from the return of football. Of course, footballers are easy targets, but can you imagine the furore if Liverpool scored a goal, hugged each other, in the game we won the league?
The headlines (and probably front page) would be all about players disrespecting the dead etc.

I honestly think that more needs to be highlighted about how  sports etc are returning in different countries, otherwise we are going to return to a sterile environment, where possibly smiling when you score might result in a yellow card! 😂
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 12:06:39 pm by MH41 »

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12964 on: May 30, 2020, 12:17:01 pm »
Just seen the trophy 'presentation' for Salzburg. Really hope we can do it better than that. Gutted if Jurgen can't be lifted up in the air again - surely if they all wear masks and gloves even for it!
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #12965 on: May 30, 2020, 12:32:03 pm »
Just seen the trophy 'presentation' for Salzburg. Really hope we can do it better than that. Gutted if Jurgen can't be lifted up in the air again - surely if they all wear masks and gloves even for it!

If they don't wear masks and gloves for playing, they won't wear them for the trophy lift surely
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12966 on: May 30, 2020, 12:43:09 pm »
Rules, Rescheduled Games and a Covenant Worth Preserving

The Premier League has finally resisted the temptation to pretend the 2019-20 season never happened. Doing so would have ruptured the bond between fans and the sport, perhaps forever.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/sports/soccer/rules-rescheduled-games-and-a-covenant-worth-preserving.html

At last, the idea of “null and void” is off the table.

For a while, that seemed to be the preferred solution of a number of teams who exist entirely to play soccer. For some time, there has been a constituency in the Premier League to whom all that matters is being there: not excelling, not winning games, not entertaining anyone, but simply existing in the top flight of English soccer. Null and void seemed to be the natural conclusion of that approach: It did not matter if anyone played soccer at all, it turned out, as long as they could keep cashing those television checks.

It was initially dressed up in an understandable, fairly compelling, morality: The very idea that soccer should return was almost offensive, they said. Then, later: The idea that the season should be played out in empty stadiums, compromising its integrity, was unfair, they said. Then, later still: Soccer could be played without fans, they said, but not at neutral venues; or it could be played at neutral venues, but nobody could be relegated.

He did a nice job of succinctly capturing the null and voiders arguments...but forgot about their never ending whining about this being Liverpool's fault that we are playing again.

It's a good article overall a well.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 12:51:36 pm by newterp »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12967 on: May 30, 2020, 04:04:06 pm »
Live sport given the official go ahead in the UK from government .

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #12968 on: May 30, 2020, 04:04:59 pm »
And thus, whiteboots ski trip was extended indefinitely
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12969 on: May 30, 2020, 04:05:19 pm »
The UK government has approved the return of domestic competitive sport behind closed doors from 1 June.

The 'phase three' guidance paves the way for live sport to return for the first time since mid-March.

It is up to individual sports to assess the risk and consult athletes, coaches and support staff.

Horse racing is among the first to resume with a meeting at Newcastle on Monday, while the Premier League is due to resume on 17 June.

Clubs in England's top flight returned to 'phase two' contact training on 25 May.

"The wait is over. Live British sport will shortly be back on in safe and carefully controlled environments," said the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, Oliver Dowden.

"This guidance provides the safe framework for sports to resume competitions behind closed doors. It is now up to individual sports to confirm they can meet these protocols and decide when it's right for them to restart.

"This is a significant moment for British sport. By working with clinicians every step of the way, we are creating the safest possible environments for everyone involved."

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12970 on: May 30, 2020, 04:13:38 pm »
Hopefully the Premier League can get it safe and we see fixtures announced this week.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12971 on: May 30, 2020, 04:13:53 pm »
Oliver Dowden, culture secretary, says professional sport will re-commence behind - without spectators - from June 1 including...

Football
Tennis
Hockey
Formula One
Cricket
Golf
Rugby

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12972 on: May 30, 2020, 04:14:06 pm »
And thus, whiteboots ski trip was extended indefinitely

may he rest in peace.

I've said this before - I'm still baffled by how he was adamant that there wasn't a chance to resume playing and whenever there was a piece of good news - he was IMMEDIATELY ready to link a negative article. All the while claiming to be a Liverpool supporter.

It's likely that he was a manc/blue making himself feel better and being so happy to rile people up - but man there has to be better things to do with your time. Even during the lockdown.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12973 on: May 30, 2020, 04:14:47 pm »
Hopefully the Premier League can get it safe and we see fixtures announced this week.

Well Duh! Everything else is coming back bar football mate.  :D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12974 on: May 30, 2020, 04:27:14 pm »
The Premier League has welcomed the announcement today by the Government permitting the return of competitive sport in England under strict conditions from 1 June.

https://preml.ge/qd4kh

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12975 on: May 30, 2020, 04:41:31 pm »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12976 on: May 30, 2020, 04:43:04 pm »
Snooker ain't a sport mate.  :P

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #12977 on: May 30, 2020, 06:18:48 pm »
It was bit odd that the players couldn't touch each other but could then pass the trophy around!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #12978 on: May 30, 2020, 06:24:38 pm »
And snooker!
came in to say that, a welcome change of screens next week.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12979 on: May 30, 2020, 07:22:08 pm »
Paul Joyce reporting

The Premier League have said that on Thursday 28 May and Friday 29 May, 1130 players and club staff were tested for COVID-19. Of these, zero have tested positive.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12980 on: May 30, 2020, 07:25:42 pm »
may he rest in peace.

I've said this before - I'm still baffled by how he was adamant that there wasn't a chance to resume playing and whenever there was a piece of good news - he was IMMEDIATELY ready to link a negative article. All the while claiming to be a Liverpool supporter.

It's likely that he was a manc/blue making himself feel better and being so happy to rile people up - but man there has to be better things to do with your time. Even during the lockdown.

Was he banned?  Strange guy spending all his time here making straw arguments. He never managed to wind anyone up either as his points made no sense.
Ah well, at least there's plenty room on the slopes for him and cantona to social distance.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12981 on: May 30, 2020, 07:26:06 pm »
Paul Joyce reporting

0 is too many mate. Greed over safety.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12982 on: May 30, 2020, 07:29:24 pm »
That is now 12 positive tests from 3,882 tests.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12983 on: May 30, 2020, 07:30:44 pm »

0.3%. Maybe footballers have been behaving after all.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #12984 on: May 30, 2020, 07:52:34 pm »
0.3%. Maybe footballers have been behaving after all.
I think Kyle Walker was personally giving Covid-19 tests to ladies he met over the interwebs. Such selflessness really.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #12985 on: May 30, 2020, 08:31:40 pm »
Juat saw the cringe cup lifting of Salzburg in Austria.

It's really a fake facade. Just looks so fake. They pretend to be SDing, yet they have trained together all day, have sweated together for the day pass the cup to each other, kissing it etc....yet they stand meters apart while lifting it? Give me a fucking break.

I really hope when we win it, we keep it real and properly lift it and celebrate, and not try to fake virtue-signal about Social Distancing while lifting the trophy for first time in 30 years.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12986 on: May 30, 2020, 09:03:26 pm »
Juat saw the cringe cup lifting of Salzburg in Austria.

It's really a fake facade. Just looks so fake. They pretend to be SDing, yet they have trained together all day, have sweated together for the day pass the cup to each other, kissing it etc....yet they stand meters apart while lifting it? Give me a fucking break.

I really hope when we win it, we keep it real and properly lift it and celebrate, and not try to fake virtue-signal about Social Distancing while lifting the trophy for first time in 30 years.

Yeah.  The lads will be in the showers inside of 30 minutes, I'm sure they'll be fine.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #12987 on: May 30, 2020, 09:30:04 pm »
How will footballers and staff isolate during the remainder of the season because the virus will probably be spreading like wildfire again in weeks given the nation is like one big carnival now with the sun out and the kids are due back at school.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 09:36:17 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #12988 on: May 30, 2020, 09:56:24 pm »
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #12989 on: May 30, 2020, 09:56:57 pm »
How will footballers and staff isolate during the remainder of the season because the virus will probably be spreading like wildfire again in weeks given the nation is like one big carnival now with the sun out and the kids are due back at school.

The same they have been doing? I’m guessing they are not all sneaking out to the beach every afternoon.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #12990 on: May 30, 2020, 10:05:03 pm »
The same they have been doing? I’m guessing they are not all sneaking out to the beach every afternoon.

But if their kids are back at school etc.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12991 on: May 30, 2020, 10:13:54 pm »
But if their kids are back at school etc.

It's only reception yr1, yr6 10 and 11 going back and parents don't have to send them in, so can keep kids home if they want. The clubs will be taking the necessary steps to help the players with their kids
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #12992 on: May 30, 2020, 10:26:06 pm »
Our council have strongly advised schools here not to open.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12993 on: May 30, 2020, 11:18:07 pm »
I presume they mean that no one other than the disgraceful Fabinho has tested positive? Or is he not included because he's been sacked?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12994 on: May 30, 2020, 11:48:12 pm »
Looked everywhere for some Hoegaarden today but sold out everywhere, bastards [emoji24]

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12995 on: May 30, 2020, 11:52:33 pm »

thats Real Madrid’s trophy cabinet, looks like kiev 2018 is in there

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12996 on: May 30, 2020, 11:57:57 pm »
Yeah. This is ours.

Popcorn's Art

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #12997 on: May 31, 2020, 12:14:07 am »

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12998 on: May 31, 2020, 01:32:28 am »
Don't they say two wrongs don't make a right? :puke2

I don’t like the idea of bourbon in cider...
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12999 on: May 31, 2020, 01:39:57 am »
I don’t like the idea of bourbon in cider...

You really need to try gin & moscato.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.