Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 850618 times)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #12840 on: May 29, 2020, 10:37:24 am »
Great news about the fa cup. Season still alive. Its getting exciting again, like the lead up to the world cup.

European football will be tricky though, plenty of airports still closed, travellers quarantined etc.

Weren't they talking about neutral venues and moving the teams abroad?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12841 on: May 29, 2020, 10:52:04 am »
Great news about the fa cup. Season still alive. Its getting exciting again, like the lead up to the world cup.

European football will be tricky though, plenty of airports still closed, travellers quarantined etc.

I think by the time August comes around international travel will be approaching something like we're used to. Maybe not the volume of people but I suspect most countries will have relaxed quarantine measures and airports open. In recent weeks I've seen Spain, France, Greece and Italy talk about allowing international travel to get the tourism industry going again. No reason why football couldn't happen therefore. Britain is just late to the party as usual.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #12842 on: May 29, 2020, 10:56:52 am »
FA cup just posted this on Facebook.

Will those fixtures run alongside PL Fixtures on those weekends ? With those teams still in the competition requiring an extra mid-week ?

The priority should have been completing the premier league first, then complete the FA cup after the premier league season has finished

#Sausages

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12843 on: May 29, 2020, 10:57:21 am »
I think by the time August comes around international travel will be approaching something like we're used to. Maybe not the volume of people but I suspect most countries will have relaxed quarantine measures and airports open. In recent weeks I've seen Spain, France, Greece and Italy talk about allowing international travel to get the tourism industry going again. No reason why football couldn't happen therefore. Britain is just late to the party as usual.

Problem is if some leagues don't finish due to further postponements, and each country is doing its own thing, with no thought for sport and understandably so. France said no sport till September and got the season cancelled, so PSG surely cant play at home, but where do they go, its a big set up to take teams and staff abroad, and media, and organising events, kick off times that make sense, tv coverage. Its a lot to sort out.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12844 on: May 29, 2020, 10:58:15 am »
The priority should have been completing the premier league first, then complete the FA cup after the premier league season has finished

By the time the fa cup restarts Liverpool would have won the league anyway.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12845 on: May 29, 2020, 11:00:13 am »
I'm disgusted by Mo. Everyone knows your energy levels are depleted by having a very low body fat percentage. Wish he would take it seriously, like good old Harry.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12846 on: May 29, 2020, 11:03:11 am »
British Masters back for July too.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Rheinbacher

• Main Stander
« Reply #12847 on: May 29, 2020, 11:19:13 am »
Literally one of the worst accounts on twitter this. He has thousands of virgin schoolboys hanging off his every word as well. So good to see how bitter he is about us winning the league. Reminds me of Stephen Howson's "You might as well be Celtic" rant. ;D

https://twitter.com/RiZzyUTD/status/1266067318544744450
They should know what it feels like considering they didn't have parade when they won the CL in 2008 because Rangers thrashed their city.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #12848 on: May 29, 2020, 11:24:36 am »
When are they hoping next season will start if there are no further suspensions?

12th Sept I think.

I'd have thought the FA Cup games would have been better midweek rather than taking up weekends and then still having to play any postponed PL games.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12849 on: May 29, 2020, 11:43:48 am »
Problem is if some leagues don't finish due to further postponements, and each country is doing its own thing, with no thought for sport and understandably so. France said no sport till September and got the season cancelled, so PSG surely cant play at home, but where do they go, its a big set up to take teams and staff abroad, and media, and organising events, kick off times that make sense, tv coverage. Its a lot to sort out.

Lyon president trying to get that decision reversed, France had a case of premature cancellation there.

If not Twickenham isn't being used, surely PSG could use that if they ask nicely?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12850 on: May 29, 2020, 11:47:21 am »

Not like the European games effect either of our clubs now anyway I suppose  :'( ;D

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #12851 on: May 29, 2020, 01:14:17 pm »
Has this been any word from the Premier League about how a potential second wave of the virus would impact the restart?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #12852 on: May 29, 2020, 01:17:33 pm »
Has this been any word from the Premier League about how a potential second wave of the virus would impact the restart?

Doesn't seem to have been any. The tone of that Times piece the other day about starting next season in September to ensure Euros could be played seemed overly optimistic

Offline Onward Liverpudlian

• Kopite
« Reply #12853 on: May 29, 2020, 01:28:26 pm »

I read yesterday they are going to talk about curtailment options in a week or two with some kind of PPG system the favourite.

Everything i've read about a second wave though is that it hasn't happened anywhere yet, a slight bump up in places where restrictions have been relaxed then the number of cases rapidly fall again. Also i've read that a proper 'second wave' (IF it happens) should be in winter but they are still learning about the virus.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #12854 on: May 29, 2020, 01:30:01 pm »
I read yesterday they are going to talk about curtailment options in a week or two with some kind of PPG system the favourite.

Everything i've read about a second wave though is that it hasn't happened anywhere yet, a slight bump up in places where restrictions have been relaxed then the number of cases rapidly fall again. Also i've read that a proper 'second wave' (IF it happens) should be in winter but they are still learning about the virus.
Thanks.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12855 on: May 29, 2020, 01:41:11 pm »

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that it would be done on unweighted PPG, which surprised me.

Surely by putting FA Cup games at weekends it could lead to a situation where some teams have played more league games than others again? Why not have FA Cup games midweek and keep the PL games all at the same time?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12856 on: May 29, 2020, 01:53:28 pm »

Given the current circumstances, think the FA Cup should be voided.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #12857 on: May 29, 2020, 02:08:53 pm »
I’m not sure they should be thinking about a cup competition whilst people are dying. Same with the European ones too.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #12858 on: May 29, 2020, 02:09:07 pm »
@tariqpanja
The Champions League final, one of sport’s most-watched annual events, will not be held at its planned site, Istanbul, amid the ongoing crisis brought on by the coronavirus pandemic, according to a person with knowledge of the matter.

European soccer’s governing body UEFA, the event’s organizer, is now considering a number of alternative venues as it plans to complete the competition, which was part way through its round of 16 stage when — like most other sporting events — it paused indefinitely.

Now with national leagues starting to emerge to complete their seasons, UEFA is concluding talks on how to finish the Champions League and its secondary Europa League in August. The Europa League final had been set to be held in Gdansk, Poland. A decision will be made after a meeting of the executive committee on June 17, said the person, who declined to speak publicly because talks on the alternative sites are ongoing.

The Spanish news media reported that UEFA was planning to host this year’s Champions League final, an event that draws more viewers globally than the Super Bowl, in Lisbon. There are a small number of other candidates, according to the person with knowledge of the matter.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12859 on: May 29, 2020, 02:13:52 pm »
Shouldn't this year's CL winners have an asterisk against their win? --They'll be able to concentrate fully on Europe rather than playing concurrently in their home leagues, after all.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #12860 on: May 29, 2020, 02:17:02 pm »
Shouldn't this year's CL winners have an asterisk against their win? --They'll be able to concentrate fully on Europe rather than playing concurrently in their home leagues, after all.
By asterisk, I assume you mean it should be null and void, right?
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12861 on: May 29, 2020, 02:21:09 pm »
@tariqpanja
according to a person with knowledge of the matter.

according to the person with knowledge of the matter.

I don't know why that phrase made me laugh so much, but it sounds ridiculous, especially when they repeated it. ;D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 03:31:42 pm by redgriffin73 »

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #12862 on: May 29, 2020, 02:30:15 pm »
By the time the fa cup restarts Liverpool would have won the league anyway.

Like we've been saying all along though, there are trickier situations to finalise in the league with relegation and European places.

Would be foolish to restart and have to curtail with 2 games to go or something (not that I think that will happpen mind)

United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #12863 on: May 29, 2020, 02:35:41 pm »
The thing is, with a behind closed doors, what's the need in holding the European cup anywhere "special".

If the final is between Madrid and Munich, hold it in Paris.

Offline Mr F

• uckwit
  • Kopite
« Reply #12864 on: May 29, 2020, 02:39:09 pm »
@tariqpanja
The Champions League final, one of sport’s most-watched annual events, will not be held at its planned site, Istanbul, amid the ongoing crisis brought on by the coronavirus pandemic, according to a person with knowledge of the matter.

These sources get vaguer by the day  ;D
Chardee MacDennis: The Game of Games

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12865 on: May 29, 2020, 02:41:13 pm »
I'm in a few group chats with matchgoing fans and I'm a little worried that, especially the younger ones, have little-to-no concern for fans and want to get back into the ground "ASAP". I'm sure they overall are the minority, but I would really be keen for SoS, Spion Kop and other fan groups to be vocal in supporting the fight for the doors to be opened only when it is safe for all or matches are opened up to allow for social distancing (i.e. at a significantly less crowd capacity and requiring masks etc).

We shouldn't be ignoring the elderly, the disabled, carers, health workers and others that may not be in a position to "risk" going back to the game before we're sure it's safe.

We need to support our fellow fans so that we can all get back into the ground, safely, one day when it is safe.

Some of these same individuals are wanting to arrange parties and stuff for when football is back. I just hope none of it is grand and surfaces social media as it will be playing into what the FA and government are expecting from us.
YNWA.

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12866 on: May 29, 2020, 02:59:23 pm »
Have we heard from Gary "How many people have to die before it becomes unpalatable?" Neville, or Troy "I've never had to jump for a header while picking up a cucumber." Deeney on the FA Cup restart?

I think it's very disrespectful to restart the FA Cup and European competitions without their blessing and approval.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #12867 on: May 29, 2020, 03:09:18 pm »
Given the current circumstances, think the FA Cup should be voided.

But not nulled?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12868 on: May 29, 2020, 03:26:30 pm »
The CL could be completed like a mini World Cup in a safer  country ie Germany , all squads flown in with quarters on a tues / weds , semis on a Sunday and a final on the following Saturday . Gets the need of teams travelling to different countries , the two legs would have to go to the wall for the season but at least it’s completed before the new season .

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12869 on: May 29, 2020, 03:39:27 pm »
The FA cup actually has potential to be interesting now BCD - rather than most teams shitting it and rolling over for City, I think they'll gain more confidence from the slightly different feel of games. I'd still expect City to get to the final but might be trickier than usual for them.

I'm glad it's being played out personally. If we somehow manage to get the league, FA cup and CL all played out by September then we can start to get back to normal. It would have been a total mess if some or none of those competitions could be completed.

The CL is definitely the challenge as others have said but I think it could be played in a 'safer' country over a few weeks in August if travel allows for the players and staff to all get there.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12870 on: May 29, 2020, 03:42:37 pm »
Yeah, I agree. Also, although I shouldn't care what rival fans think, at least it means other teams will be winning cups and it won't just be us being derided for "celebrating during a pandemic" etc. Well, maybe. ::)

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12871 on: May 29, 2020, 03:43:25 pm »
Literally one of the worst accounts on twitter this. He has thousands of virgin schoolboys hanging off his every word as well. So good to see how bitter he is about us winning the league. Reminds me of Stephen Howson's "You might as well be Celtic" rant. ;D

https://twitter.com/RiZzyUTD/status/1266067318544744450

STOP. POSTING. THE. THOUGHTS. OF. CHILDREN. FROM. "FOOTBALL TWITTER." ON. HERE.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12872 on: May 29, 2020, 03:46:18 pm »
Yeah, I agree. Also, although I shouldn't care what rival fans think, at least it means other teams will be winning cups and it won't just be us being derided for "celebrating during a pandemic" etc. Well, maybe. ::)

Putting the hilarity aside of the CL being 'voided' for example, it's in football's best interests to get everything completed. This is what the null and void idiots have never understood - I have no problem with the CL going ahead and finding a winner, it's not going to be City, and even if it is they obviously wont count it at a time like this.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12873 on: May 29, 2020, 03:50:41 pm »
Brendan Rodgers had it a couple of months ago.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12874 on: May 29, 2020, 03:51:38 pm »
Did he show character to recover?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #12875 on: May 29, 2020, 03:56:21 pm »
STOP. POSTING. THE. THOUGHTS. OF. CHILDREN. FROM. "FOOTBALL TWITTER." ON. HERE.

Please. Really....please.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12876 on: May 29, 2020, 04:08:08 pm »
Putting the hilarity aside of the CL being 'voided' for example, it's in football's best interests to get everything completed. This is what the null and void idiots have never understood - I have no problem with the CL going ahead and finding a winner, it's not going to be City, and even if it is they obviously wont count it at a time like this.

Absolutely.

I’m made up they’re completing the FA Cup and seemingly the CL as it means I’ve got more football to watch.

We can’t win it every year and I’d give us every chance of being competitive in it again next season - if Alisson has been fit for the 2nd leg v Atletico the chances are we’d still be in it.

It looks like this years final will no longer be Istanbul so hopefully they delay it to next season and we manage to get there.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12877 on: May 29, 2020, 04:08:11 pm »
He also climbed Kilimanjaro once, y'know.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12878 on: May 29, 2020, 04:24:35 pm »
Yeah there is that, currently 25c in Barcelona. Have been to spain a few times this time of the year and its always been mid 20's in the day but does cool of a night, did Majorca one august and it was mid 30's of a night, no way you'd want to play footy in that
cant they play them very late at night, i remember years ago there was a barca game at midnight for some mad reason, Ronaldinho scored a worldie in it

https://youtu.be/pCXwTqoFaMA

And this is why, Sevilla insisted it had to be on a Wednesday and barca wanted it on Tuesday so they did 12.05am on the Wednesday ;D

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/sep/04/europeanfootball.sport

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12879 on: May 29, 2020, 04:26:45 pm »

Apparently he has the names of the people he may have caught it off in three envelopes.