Author Topic: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe  (Read 336180 times)

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe
« Reply #920 on: February 6, 2011, 10:58:41 am »
'Too many broken promises'
The ill-fated Anfield era of Tom Hicks and George Gillett has yet another victim, writes Dion Fanning

By Dion Fanning

I know many like this guy but he just writes the same thing over and over.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline reddd10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #921 on: February 6, 2011, 11:03:52 am »
"There is no romanticism in football anymore"

His English was rubbish, as if he knows how to say "romanticism".

Offline ThePrufeshanul

• Bastard child of Jose Mourinho and Maggie Thatcher
  • Kopite
  • ..whose game is tighter than Suarez's shirt says..
« Reply #922 on: February 6, 2011, 11:05:45 am »
Oh is that just the way it is? Excellent point.

Dont you get it? No one is defending him you dipstick we have just been pointing out the obvious reasons why he did what he did and said what he said. Im not Fernando's dad - it doesnt really matter to me what he does with career - its the club I'm concerned about.

Where is your anger towards the other players who also didnt put in a shift over the previous year and who are still here?

As far as im concerned the kind of players we need should play intelligent modern football, keep their heads down and slog their guts out for the club. Players like Lucas Leiva, Dirk Kuyt and Pepe Reina.

I find it really interesting that its exactly the fans who spent their time gushing over Our Nando and Stevie G are the same ones who slag off Leiva and Kuyt week after week. And when their heroes turn out to have feet of clay suddenly shirts are being burned and keyboards are being bashed with the rage of a teenage girl who's just been dumped by her boyfriend.

It would be really really nice to break out of the Rafa good, Rafa bad, Stevie good, Stevie bad, Mascherano good, Mascherano bad, Fernando good, Fernando bad level of analysis that account for 30% of the forum posts.
"Lucas Leiva? That kid had more passes than Paris Hilton on Mastermind!"
"The funniest thing of all though is an agricultural long ball centre half not trusting the ability on the ball of some one who starts for Brazil precisely because of his passing ability." - Al555

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Had sex with a swan
  • Legacy Fan
    • My LFC Blog!
« Reply #923 on: February 6, 2011, 11:06:09 am »
"There is no romanticism in football anymore"

His English was rubbish, as if he knows how to say "romanticism".

He should of said loyality not romanticism, an excuse for his behaviour is everybody else is doing it so I will as well
homepage: www.liverpoolmoods.com

Follow me on Twatter: @toggerguru

Offline wheresnemeth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #924 on: February 6, 2011, 11:07:13 am »

His progress is astonishing. Towards the end of Rafael Benitez's time at Liverpool, the club were working on a deal to sign Carroll for about £5m. Then Benitez was sacked and Purslow entered the transfer market.

Why am I not surprised.
making a c*nting mess of a list, like c*nts on a bike trying to win the Tour de France...

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #925 on: February 6, 2011, 11:11:42 am »
If the cap fuckin fits.

You defend the fellow all you want.

But it'll never alter the fact that for the past 12 months or so he's been pissing all over this club - the club so many of us love - with his wretched half -hearted turgid performances when as the main striker he should have been pulling out his fuckin guts.  If you condone that then it's up to you. but no real Liverpudlian ever would. Sorry but that's the way it is.

Totally agree. Fact is we all saw what we've been missing recently in our last game. For the first time in a while we had 11 players trying their hearts out, and what a difference it made. The biggest difference between Torres and Suarez is, Luis makes it happen, while Torres trotted around expecting it to happen. The point is nothing does happens unless you make the effort, and frankly our former number nine didn't do that enough recently. 
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline ThePrufeshanul

• Bastard child of Jose Mourinho and Maggie Thatcher
  • Kopite
  • ..whose game is tighter than Suarez's shirt says..
« Reply #926 on: February 6, 2011, 11:11:46 am »
'Too many broken promises'
The ill-fated Anfield era of Tom Hicks and George Gillett has yet another victim, writes Dion Fanning

By Dion Fanning

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/too-many-broken-promises-2527352.html

Nailed. Thanks Trada.
"Lucas Leiva? That kid had more passes than Paris Hilton on Mastermind!"
"The funniest thing of all though is an agricultural long ball centre half not trusting the ability on the ball of some one who starts for Brazil precisely because of his passing ability." - Al555

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #927 on: February 6, 2011, 11:24:27 am »

How so? Because he mentions Hicks and Gillett and last summer still?

I think it's a decent article.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #928 on: February 6, 2011, 11:37:50 am »
Oh is that just the way it is? Excellent point.

Dont you get it? No one is defending him you dipstick we have just been pointing out the obvious reasons why he did what he did and said what he said. Im not Fernando's dad - it doesnt really matter to me what he does with career - its the club I'm concerned about.

Where is your anger towards the other players who also didnt put in a shift over the previous year and who are still here?

As far as im concerned the kind of players we need should play intelligent modern football, keep their heads down and slog their guts out for the club. Players like Lucas Leiva, Dirk Kuyt and Pepe Reina.

I find it really interesting that its exactly the fans who spent their time gushing over Our Nando and Stevie G are the same ones who slag off Leiva and Kuyt week after week. And when their heroes turn out to have feet of clay suddenly shirts are being burned and keyboards are being bashed with the rage of a teenage girl who's just been dumped by her boyfriend.

It would be really really nice to break out of the Rafa good, Rafa bad, Stevie good, Stevie bad, Mascherano good, Mascherano bad, Fernando good, Fernando bad level of analysis that account for 30% of the forum posts.

mate you are about as kosher as a bacon sandwich!

A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #929 on: February 6, 2011, 11:39:11 am »
They used to be rivals at the top, plus they were fucking c*nts.

Yeah but the 'We hate Nottingham Forest' song was sung from the early 1970s well before they were rivals at the top and well before ol' Big Head went there.

Think it was just because it sounds good in the song meself.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #930 on: February 6, 2011, 11:40:19 am »
If the cap fuckin fits.

But it'll never alter the fact that for the past 12 months or so he's been pissing all over this club - the club so many of us love - with his wretched half -hearted turgid performances when as the main striker he should have been pulling out his fuckin guts.  If you condone that then it's up to you. but no real Liverpudlian ever would. Sorry but that's the way it is.

In a nutshell for me.

'Broken promises' seems to have become his mantra but that statement can't be justified when you consider the half-arsed performances and sulking we'd become accustomed to. It's a fucking team game and it doesn't matter how good one player thinks he is, if that player isn't giving 100% the team suffers. But it's always everyone else's fault with today's superstars isn't it?
 That's what rankles with me. If he'd given his all, chased every ball, acted like he gave a fuck then I might not feel so bad about him going - even to Chelsea. But he clearly didn't, just shirked his responsibilities for the last year and then blamed everyone else.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #931 on: February 6, 2011, 11:51:31 am »
Take a running jump mate.

If you look back through the thread you will see that Torres in yesterdays press conference confirms EXACTLY what we have been saying since this discussion started.

So either we have been pretty much spot on about why he left and you have ignored it OR he is a lying, scheming, money grabbing Judas and somehow you were too dumb to notice  for the past three and a half years when you have been gushing over him like a teenage girl.

Think the thread has run its course now and should probably be locked - everyone has pretty much made up their mind now about the reasons for his departure. The plain truth is there to be read for anyone who is bothered about how such things work.
Because Torres said it, it must be true?
Do me a fucking favour, his own story contradicts his dad's and his agents.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline gemkopqueen

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone.
« Reply #932 on: February 6, 2011, 12:05:19 pm »
The fact that this thread is still going is shocking. Torres has left, he's a blue now so lets just focus on our own team hey.  Seriously I think people are happy to take anything he says so that we don't look like the mugs we think he took him for. Whether anything he has said, or says now, is true it doesn't matter. He can piss and moan about the old regime all he wants but it doesn't hide the fact that he left when we're turning a corner. Yes it might take a long time to get us up there, then again it might not. Come next season we could be challenging again and that's all that matters.   Torres is a part of our past now, lets just focus on what I'm sure will be a bright future. 
Gemzy Wemzy

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #933 on: February 6, 2011, 12:06:12 pm »

'Broken promises' seems to have become his mantra but that statement can't be justified when you consider the half-arsed performances and sulking we'd become accustomed to. It's a fucking team game and it doesn't matter how good one player thinks he is, if that player isn't giving 100% the team suffers. But it's always everyone else's fault with today's superstars isn't it?
 That's what rankles with me. If he'd given his all, chased every ball, acted like he gave a fuck then I might not feel so bad about him going - even to Chelsea. But he clearly didn't, just shirked his responsibilities for the last year and then blamed everyone else.
[/quote]

And after probably 90% of us supported him thinking well he's been injured,Roys shite tactics etc.We gave him a lot of leeway which now seems was our mistake for believing he loved the club.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline mactifosi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #934 on: February 6, 2011, 12:12:09 pm »
Torres has left, he's a blue now so lets just focus on our own team hey.  Come next season we could be challenging again and that's all that matters.   Torres is a part of our past now, lets just focus on what I'm sure will be a bright future.

This.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #935 on: February 6, 2011, 12:13:47 pm »

Exactly.

If he'd have done that then I'd be alongside this tit - Prufeshwahteverhis feckinnameis - defending Torres's right to go wherever the fuck he wanted. Yeah it would have still hurt like fuck but I'd have backed the lad's right to go where he felt would best serve the rest of his career as he'd have earned that right for true reds to defend his right.

BUT he fuckin didn't do that. In fact he did the complete fuckin polar opposite. He moped and sulked and never ran - i think his OPTA stats show a drop to half his 'meaningful run' levels of his peak seasons. And all the time we still defended him from the whining bastards who are always ready to put the fuckin knife into anyone. Instead we put it down to bad tactics by the manager or injury restrictions or poor quality teammates - and all along as only now we have found out from the plethora of lame excuses and lies and self serving justification that he just couldn't be fuckin arsed any longer with the club that gave him his stage. And us to boot.

And then you get apologists like this Prufesh guy coming on here with his utter shite trying to justify what Torres has been doing.

FUCK.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #936 on: February 6, 2011, 12:14:10 pm »
In a nutshell for me.

That was what was disappointing, the lack of effort.

It was almost as though he was trying to prove to himself that we were shite.

Look we've lost again after the  Spurs match when in reality, most of the other players had done well and he had cost them with his half-hearted attempts when he was clean through.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #937 on: February 6, 2011, 12:16:24 pm »
Exactly.

If he'd have done that then I'd be alongside this tit - Prufeshwahteverhis feckinnameis - defending Torres's right to go wherever the fuck he wanted. Yeah it would have still hurt like fuck but I'd have backed the lad's right to go where he felt would best serve the rest of his career as he'd have earned that right for true reds to defend his right.

BUT he fuckin didn't do that. In fact he did the complete fuckin polar opposite. He moped and sulked and never ran - i think his OPTA stats show a drop to half his 'meaningful run' levels of his peak seasons. And all the time we still defended him from the whining bastards who are always ready to put the fuckin knife into anyone. Instead we put it down to bad tactics by the manager or injury restrictions or poor quality teammates - and all along as only now we have found out from the plethora of lame excuses and lies and self serving justification that he just couldn't be fuckin arsed any longer with the club that gave him his stage. And us to boot.

And then you get apologists like this Prufesh guy coming on here with his utter shite trying to justify what Torres has been doing.

FUCK.
Spot on. Had he played like he could we would have been close to 4th irrespective, he is our best player and played like a drain for many games.

Instead he moped and moaned, so that when a chance came he wasn't ready to take it.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #938 on: February 6, 2011, 12:17:23 pm »
The fact that this thread is still going is shocking. Torres has left, he's a blue now so lets just focus on our own team hey.  Seriously I think people are happy to take anything he says so that we don't look like the mugs we think he took him for. Whether anything he has said, or says now, is true it doesn't matter. He can piss and moan about the old regime all he wants but it doesn't hide the fact that he left when we're turning a corner. Yes it might take a long time to get us up there, then again it might not. Come next season we could be challenging again and that's all that matters.   Torres is a part of our past now, lets just focus on what I'm sure will be a bright future. 

You're missing the point .

As long as folk are still spouting the myths they need to be shot down. If the myth makers fuck off then you won't get a fuckin peep out of me about Torres ever again. But I'm not going to sit back and let his conning of this club and its supporters be defended without exposing it for what it is.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2011, 12:19:17 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #939 on: February 6, 2011, 12:21:19 pm »

I posted this after the Man U game......evidence that he was starting to piss me off. His attitude was undefendable at times.

Nando, KK played with the very best CF in the world who defended from the front week in, week out. Rush worked tirelessly for the team and scored regularly. Ian Rush would have to look the work "ego" up in the dictionary.
So Kenny will be appalled watching you stroll about whilst Lucas comes out of position to close MU down to stop them taking the fucking piss.
Shape up lad, you are fucking better than this.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #940 on: February 6, 2011, 12:23:58 pm »
Spot on. Had he played like he could we would have been close to 4th irrespective, he is our best player and played like a drain for many games.

Instead he moped and moaned, so that when a chance came he wasn't ready to take it.

You know, I hadn't even progressed the logic to that point. but you're right. And that then begs a question - would he really have stayed if we were genuinely still in contention.

And that then begs another question - he was performing that disintersedly just how much was he hoping that we'd be out of the picture by Christmas. more to the point - how much did he fuckin play to engineer it?

We'll never fuckin know, of course - but perhaps - just perhaps - these are not questions as preposterous as they might first appear on face value.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #941 on: February 6, 2011, 12:26:31 pm »
If the cap fuckin fits.

Spot on, too many still in denial over this. In fact this is more at the root of betrayal than the goings on of the last two weeks. As I said earlier in the thread, his lack of professionalism during the last twelve months showed how loyal we were; if he'd been playing at his best I'd still have some respect but not now.

I stand by saying I wish he'd left last summer.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline DaBoda

• Anny Roader
  • True red since 1993!
« Reply #942 on: February 6, 2011, 12:28:13 pm »
I had a cat named Torres. He was hit by a car and died. One week later Fernando Torres left Liverpool Football Club. It all makes sense to me now.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #943 on: February 6, 2011, 12:31:50 pm »
I posted this after the Man U game......evidence that he was starting to piss me off. His attitude was undefendable at times.

Nando, KK played with the very best CF in the world who defended from the front week in, week out. Rush worked tirelessly for the team and scored regularly. Ian Rush would have to look the work "ego" up in the dictionary.
So Kenny will be appalled watching you stroll about whilst Lucas comes out of position to close MU down to stop them taking the fucking piss.
Shape up lad, you are fucking better than this.

Rember reading that John. And I'd noticed the same thing. It was one of a score of similar passages in his final period with us.

But all the time I was still defending him - pondering, questioning what the hell was going on - but still fighting the lad's corner in arguments. and all the time he was simply pissing all over us all.

Looking back over all the lads who've ver left us from keegan onwards I've never ever seen a single one of them ever cheat us. Not for a moment. Only Torres.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #944 on: February 6, 2011, 12:32:04 pm »
"Towards the end of Rafael Benitez's time at Liverpool, the club were working on a deal to sign Carroll for about £5m. Then Benitez was sacked and Purslow entered the transfer market."

This line made me LOL.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #945 on: February 6, 2011, 12:33:09 pm »

It's the people who change their tune every time they open their trap you have to worry about. Fanning tells it as it is time after time and continually hits the nail on the head.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #946 on: February 6, 2011, 12:34:10 pm »
That was what was disappointing, the lack of effort.

It was almost as though he was trying to prove to himself that we were shite.

Look we've lost again after the  Spurs match when in reality, most of the other players had done well and he had cost them with his half-hearted attempts when he was clean through.
Think I made it clear for a long time that he wasnt giving his all for us.

However when he had the chance to help us get through to the EL final he choose not too. Yeah I know the world cup was coming up but for me that was the end of the relationship.

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #947 on: February 6, 2011, 12:35:37 pm »
If the truth doesn't change why should what he writes. Stupid thing to say.

People need to wake up and see what happen without crying like women. Torres was injured for much of last year. He wanted out in the summer. He was asked to stay to make sure the club was sold.

Did anyone expect him to put 100% in? The club knew he wanted to go. No player is going to kill himself for 6 months and cause injury. What sickens me if that we have become moany like the bitters. Shocked that a top player sees us as a laughing stock after what happened over the last two years. Christ you can just imagine what he was think when Carra pumped another ball over his head. We asked an artist to become a fucking wall painter and when he fucked off we cried like babies.

Cop on.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #948 on: February 6, 2011, 12:35:42 pm »
bollocks, guess you havent read his autobiography.

I have read it. I also admire him for saying exactly what he thinks, whether it's complimentary or not. I've also attended virtually every game Carra has played at Anfield. He amy not be the greatest player we've had, but very few have a bigger heart than him.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #949 on: February 6, 2011, 12:37:04 pm »
It's the people who change their tune every time they open their trap you have to worry about. Fanning tells it as it is time after time and continually hits the nail on the head.

Boom.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #950 on: February 6, 2011, 12:37:50 pm »

Rember reading that John. And I'd noticed the same thing. It was one of a score of similar passages in his final period with us.

But all the time I was still defending him - pondering, questioning what the hell was going on - but still fighting the lad's corner in arguments. and all the time he was simply pissing all over us all.

Looking back over all the lads who've ver left us from keegan onwards I've never ever seen a single one of them ever cheat us. Not for a moment. Only Torres.

I think it's a bit simpler than that Torres has had the same body language for the last year or so playing for Spain as he has playing for Liverpool. His body wasn't right and his head wasn't right, he is human when you aren't happy things generally don't go well for you. He hasn't been turning it on and off when he felt like, he hasn't been 100% fit for a very long time and the Liverpool dressing room pre Kenny wasn't a very nice place to be.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline stiffnuts

• rustytool
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #951 on: February 6, 2011, 12:41:10 pm »
My head is full of ifs right now (sad but true) but if we didn't have Hodgson, if players had performed to their maximum, if we had even just beaten Blackpool and Everton recently, things would be looking so different. OH well if my aunty had bollocks she would be my uncle. Yes I know........

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #952 on: February 6, 2011, 12:41:52 pm »
I think it's a bit simpler than that Torres has had the same body language for the last year or so playing for Spain as he has playing for Liverpool. His body wasn't right and his head wasn't right, he is human when you aren't happy things generally don't go well for you. He hasn't been turning it on and off when he felt like, he hasn't been 100% fit for a very long time and the Liverpool dressing room pre Kenny wasn't a very nice place to be.

Not spanish but he hasnt played well for Spain for years.

Offline Bastion Of Invincibility

• Anny Roader
« Reply #953 on: February 6, 2011, 12:47:00 pm »
If the cap fuckin fits.

Well said. He seems to think a club owes it to him to win trophies. For a guy who missed half of last season and scored ZERO goals in the Champions League he has some nerve to come out and say he was sick of broken promises.

He bottled the World Cup and has picked us as an easy scapegoat.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #954 on: February 6, 2011, 12:49:16 pm »
another article quoting more comments from nando, more justification for his decision, fanning quotes and interprets as he feels and fits it round a story he wants to write, he also states his version of events as fact and uses nando's quotes to prove it

at the end of the day, he chose to move, he wasn't forced or edged out, he chose to go...lfc have nothing to say on the matter other than what has been said once by john henry re price, and dalglish being disappointed by the timing.....the story is going nowhere, there are no great insights, just more theories from journos trying to make the story last at least until after today......it is becoming a media story that unfortunately nando is helping perpetuate
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #955 on: February 6, 2011, 12:55:00 pm »
Not spanish but he hasnt played well for Spain for years.

He was fantastic in Euro 2008 but hasn't been fully fit since then really. In 08/09 he only played in 24 of 38 League games and last season only played in 22 of 38 League games.

The irony is that he has played in 23 of our 25 League games this season and one of the games he missed for the birth of his child. It's just a pity he was completely miss-managed by Hodgson for the vast majority of that time.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #956 on: February 6, 2011, 01:00:05 pm »

I do take your point re the World Cup performances. They are consistent with the poverty of his performances in a red shirt. Only he will know the real truth on what happened there.

However, as for his closing time in a red shirt, I suspect kenny knows as well as anyone how much the lad could or couldn't or did or didn't turn it on as a consequence of injury recuperation or any other mitigating factor and how much was simply attitude and underlying intention.

I think kenny's latest priceless comment along the lines of - Torres will get the kind of reception he deserves but I'm not going to tell the fans what to do - provides us with all the insight we need as to whether he thinks Torres conned us or not. It can, of course, be taken the other way but I suspect if kenny felt any different to the way the likes of myself is feeling he'd have not wasted a second in being cryptic but would have come out very firmly in Torres's corner.

But he didn't.

Offline fcbruno

• Main Stander
« Reply #957 on: February 6, 2011, 01:02:02 pm »
I had a cat named Torres. He was hit by a car and died. One week later Fernando Torres left Liverpool Football Club. It all makes sense to me now.

Sorry to hear about your cat.

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #958 on: February 6, 2011, 01:04:35 pm »
Think I made it clear for a long time that he wasnt giving his all for us.

However when he had the chance to help us get through to the EL final he choose not too. Yeah I know the world cup was coming up but for me that was the end of the relationship.
There was a bit more going on with that knee injury than is first apparent. He needed it doing, but I heard the problem was it wasn't done properly first time and something was left in it.

Offline reddd10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #959 on: February 6, 2011, 01:11:35 pm »
He needs to know:
Because you played for Liverpool, you'll never walk alone.
But respect us, as we respected you at your time here, or that first statement will be ultimately tested.