Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 595075 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #13760 on: May 2, 2024, 09:58:07 am »
100% this is happening, people need to remember we typically work 2-3 windows in advance so our data/scouting team will have been working on targets for this window for some time. I'd imagine Slot has been given a list of players we think will fit and we'll be working on those.

Just like Edwards/Hughes haven't "started" yet they've appointed a new manager and back room team :D

I'd imagine this was one of the reasons finding a manager who plays a very similar way, the areas in the squad to improve will be very similar.

As I've already posted, Klopp said in the "I'm leaving" video that it was sitting down at the last summer camp, discussing this summers signings, that made him realise he wouldn't be here for it.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #13761 on: May 2, 2024, 10:03:20 am »
As previous posters have said, its good that Slot is sorted early doors, what i am happy about is Edwards returning, the guys got his head screwed on, the appointment of Hughes who's clearly a very clever guy can only add to the group as a whole.  It would seem we are returning to a very data driven dynamic, lets hope that it translates onto the pitch.
Well..
The first thing to remember here is that this is Liverpool. Former director of football Michael Edwards, who helped build the all-conquering squad of the past decade, is back, and the club's current director of research, Will Spearman, has a doctorate in physics from Harvard and helped discover the "God particle" before he was brought in to help figure out who might be a decent soccer coach.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/insider/story/_/id/40053481/liverpool-data-decision-hire-arne-slot-candidate-replace-klopp

How data-driven can you get? ;D
We're a serious outfit.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2024, 10:05:36 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13762 on: May 2, 2024, 10:05:46 am »
As I've already posted, Klopp said in the "I'm leaving" video that it was sitting down at the last summer camp, discussing this summers signings, that made him realise he wouldn't be here for it.

Aye, the wheels keep turning.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13763 on: May 2, 2024, 10:07:19 am »
Aye, the wheels keep turning.

Aye and Arne just Slots in as another spoke in that wheel.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #13764 on: May 2, 2024, 10:11:17 am »
;D
I just hope we Slot away all those chances that will come our way... ;)
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13765 on: May 2, 2024, 10:16:08 am »
;D
I just hope we Slot away all those chances that will come our way... ;)

need to turn Darwin into a Slot Machine
Jurgen YNWA

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #13766 on: May 2, 2024, 10:22:50 am »
need to turn Darwin into a Slot Machine
Yeah.. you can ermm....bet on that. Hopefully, we return to that ... High Stakes.. football we played under Klopp a few years ago.
He'll be perfect for that.
Like any appointment, Slot's is a gamble, but hope it pays off.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2024, 10:27:25 am by the_red_pill »

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13767 on: May 2, 2024, 10:29:48 am »

;D

Don't let Nick see this level of punnery.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #13768 on: May 2, 2024, 10:33:58 am »
And that's what I found so interesting and exciting. They're very much like Brighton/City in buildup and possession, and it's not just possession for possession's sake. They seem to be a team with a lot of different elements of the successful teams, but resemble Klopp's 2016-2021's Liverpool when it all comes together- high-octane devastation.

With this to work the centre backs and the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 have to be really good on the ball because you're specifically inviting pressure so you can play around that pressure. The danger is if you get caught on the ball they are in on your goal.

Offline keeby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • turned down the job of katie perrys fluffer.....
« Reply #13769 on: May 2, 2024, 11:09:23 am »
Well..https://www.espn.com/soccer/insider/story/_/id/40053481/liverpool-data-decision-hire-arne-slot-candidate-replace-klopp

How data-driven can you get? ;D
We're a serious outfit.

Yeah i read that did make me chuckle, it was to be fair a good article !
was on blankety blank once and came second.........

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13770 on: May 2, 2024, 11:39:34 am »
No worries :)

If you enjoyed that, you might also like this from Simon Kuper - a Dutch-born English journo - from the Humans & Heroes Podcast.

Who is Liverpool's new manager Arne Slot?

Thanks mate. That was a good listen.

Although, in what was a mostly positive piece, I was a bit worried about the Ten Hag comparisons. Not so much the bald, Dutch and provincial talk but Kuper seemed to highly rate Ten Hag as a coach as well and went so far as kind of dismissing the current state at Man Utd as being down to not having a proper structure in place behind the scenes and therefore Ten Hag having to make signings on his own. That may very well be case but watching this Man Utd suggest they're anything but well coached, regardless of the players he has at his disposal. Saying that, I don't think the Ten Hag comparisons stack up all that much given Ten Hag's only major stint was at the richest club in Holland whereas Slot has been successful at both AZ and Feyenoord. I know they'll inevitably occur given the bald, Dutch and provincial similarities and it's unfortunate but they don't seem to be comparable otherwise.

Otherwise it mostly sounded positive. Obviously there's concerns with him coming to a stronger league and to a team expected to win the league, not having managed outside of Holland and all the pressure that entails but I guess whoever we were realistically going to appoint, there was always going to be a big risk. And Slot makes sense in theory given his relative success and the football he plays.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13771 on: May 2, 2024, 12:18:21 pm »
The only difference Slot needs to have to Ten Haag - is courage. Ten Haag came over bristling with Total football ideas, then found out his squad is filled with limited carthorses and he has to abandon his plans. Then the results went south and he further adapted his approach, basically chickening out of his methods. If Slot sticks to his ways, he will find plenty of support both inside the club and from the fans to make it work. As long as he is brave enough to do so.

Online The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13772 on: May 2, 2024, 12:34:20 pm »
Thanks mate. That was a good listen.

Although, in what was a mostly positive piece, I was a bit worried about the Ten Hag comparisons. Not so much the bald, Dutch and provincial talk but Kuper seemed to highly rate Ten Hag as a coach as well and went so far as kind of dismissing the current state at Man Utd as being down to not having a proper structure in place behind the scenes and therefore Ten Hag having to make signings on his own. That may very well be case but watching this Man Utd suggest they're anything but well coached, regardless of the players he has at his disposal. Saying that, I don't think the Ten Hag comparisons stack up all that much given Ten Hag's only major stint was at the richest club in Holland whereas Slot has been successful at both AZ and Feyenoord. I know they'll inevitably occur given the bald, Dutch and provincial similarities and it's unfortunate but they don't seem to be comparable otherwise.

Yep agree with you and Zlen above..Hag's failed to implement any brand at Utd. I don't believe he was ever that identifiable style-wise anyway, being more of a pragmatist rather than a trailblazer. He was on shaky ground to begin with inheriting a hodge-podge of players, coached in different ways, but he's had 18 months to instill an identity and failed.

Conversely, Slot's pretty much had his new clubs playing his style from the off - and successfully to boot.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13773 on: May 2, 2024, 12:47:25 pm »
No worries :)

If you enjoyed that, you might also like this from Simon Kuper - a Dutch-born English journo - from the Humans & Heroes Podcast.

Who is Liverpool's new manager Arne Slot?

Thanks, Good listen. Even the Chelsea fan was bearable.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #13774 on: May 2, 2024, 01:06:35 pm »
The only difference Slot needs to have to Ten Haag - is courage. Ten Haag came over bristling with Total football ideas, then found out his squad is filled with limited carthorses and he has to abandon his plans. Then the results went south and he further adapted his approach, basically chickening out of his methods. If Slot sticks to his ways, he will find plenty of support both inside the club and from the fans to make it work. As long as he is brave enough to do so.

I remember when we were getting battered first half at home vs City (two seasons ago) and Klopp shouted to the players 'Be brave' and then they started playing. The freedom to play comes from the manager. Knowing that if you fuck up trying to play out from the back that's on the manager because that is how he wants you to play.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13775 on: May 2, 2024, 02:06:42 pm »
Whist I do agree with the bravery element, the Manager also needs to show pragmatism.

We only have to look at Postecoglu to see the difference between being brave, and being naïve.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13776 on: May 2, 2024, 02:52:28 pm »
Whist I do agree with the bravery element, the Manager also needs to show pragmatism.

We only have to look at Postecoglu to see the difference between being brave, and being naïve.
You have a problem with Ange, mate?*

*I laugh at the media fawning over Spurs for losing to Chelsea while being "brave"

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13777 on: May 2, 2024, 03:59:01 pm »

While that’s true, I reckon Spurs fans are happier with their season with Ange sticking to his guns than United fans are with Ten Hag either sacrificing his principles again, or not really
Knowing what they were in the first place. Spurs were never going to Austin the start they had but they’ve had a pretty decent season and the fans I know are just happy to have some entertainment again after years of alll those mood hoovers in charge.

Online traustibm

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #13778 on: May 2, 2024, 04:17:18 pm »
Michael Owen has just come out and reckons Slot will be the next David Moyes. At the other end we have Danny Murphy who is very excited and thinks he’ll slot right in. Pains me to say it, but I agree with ‘Mr. Murphy’ on this one.
“I can't watch TV longer than five minutes without praying for nuclear holocaust.”
― Bill Hicks

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13779 on: May 2, 2024, 04:32:41 pm »
Michael Owen has just come out and reckons Slot will be the next David Moyes. At the other end we have Danny Murphy who is very excited and thinks he’ll slot right in. Pains me to say it, but I agree with ‘Mr. Murphy’ on this one.

I'm reserving judgment until I've heard what Garth Crooks has to say.

Online traustibm

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #13780 on: May 2, 2024, 04:39:13 pm »
I'm reserving judgment until I've heard what Garth Crooks has to say.

Graeme Souness has also come out and lamented the state of the club. Thank god he’s not our manager as he’d do the same thing he did in the 90s. He’s drooling at the thought of selling the whole squad and buying some ‘no nonsense’ players, aka tackling mouth breathers who fly into every challenges. That’s what Souness likes.
“I can't watch TV longer than five minutes without praying for nuclear holocaust.”
― Bill Hicks

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #13781 on: May 2, 2024, 04:41:21 pm »
Graeme Souness has also come out and lamented the state of the club. Thank god he’s not our manager as he’d do the same thing he did in the 90s. He’s drooling at the thought of selling the whole squad and buying some ‘no nonsense’ players, aka tackling mouth breathers who fly into every challenges. That’s what Souness likes.

He talks shite but what i would do to have that mad bastard in his prime right now
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #13782 on: May 2, 2024, 04:48:31 pm »
Spurs were never going to Austin the start they had
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #13783 on: May 2, 2024, 05:18:01 pm »
It does highlight that most of the ex-players actually know sod all about the game and coaching, let alone the game in other countries.

Tbf Owen does know his stuff when it comes to talking about strikers and the art of scoring but is clueless elsewhere, certainly not to justify being on TV ahead of the average bloke.

Now if you can show in your analysis the reasons why a coach will succeed/fail rather than just based on the guys name and which county he is from then the opinion is valid.

For example, does managing a midtable PL side without European football qualify you to get a top job, even if you are poles apart from the previous manager in philosophy? There are plenty of pundits who will push the credentials of a British manager in that circumstance.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #13784 on: May 2, 2024, 05:18:12 pm »

Stop blowing nonsense out yer arse. He's said no such thing...and incidentally, if we had just one midfielder with half the talent, character and leadership of Souness we'd have pissed the title this season....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #13785 on: May 2, 2024, 05:22:45 pm »
Thanks, Good listen. Even the Chelsea fan was bearable.

Interesting stuff. Especially him coming from a family of teachers (his wife is a teacher too)

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13786 on: May 2, 2024, 05:33:27 pm »
Staunton and Beardsley.

WTF was he smoking.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13787 on: May 2, 2024, 05:36:21 pm »
Staunton and Beardsley.

WTF was he smoking.

Fuck knows. Was in the Upper Bullens when Beardsley scored for the bitters, fucking hated Souness that day.
Jurgen YNWA

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #13788 on: May 2, 2024, 05:38:16 pm »
I’m only 30 and both my knees are fucked. I choose to blame the 24 years playing as a keeper and not the 15 years of Guinness.

Achterberg has always seemed a great guy, wish him every success.

I can only echo that, he received a lot of criticism in the past from some, but he has always acted like a professional since being at the club. I wish him all the best.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13789 on: May 2, 2024, 05:52:53 pm »

The majority of pundits haven't even bothered to make the effort to study Slot's tactics. It's just "he's bald and Dutch, therefore he's a Ten Hag clone". There's no other profession in the world where you can be so lazy and apathetic and get paid so handsomely.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13790 on: May 2, 2024, 06:26:51 pm »
The majority of pundits haven't even bothered to make the effort to study Slot's tactics. It's just "he's bald and Dutch, therefore he's a Ten Hag clone". There's no other profession in the world where you can be so lazy and apathetic and get paid so handsomely.
yep, and for years and years on end as well.

Online traustibm

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #13791 on: May 2, 2024, 06:51:11 pm »
I just want some people who genuinly know something about the sport. Can’t be bothered about seeing former players most of the time. At least when they don’t know what they’re talking about. I’d rather have a coverage with experts, even though they haven’t been professional football players. And off with the whole sensationalism and manufactured dramas. But that won’t happen unless the whole private broadcast thing is binned off.
― Bill Hicks

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13792 on: May 2, 2024, 09:32:38 pm »
#SlotBall in the Champions League.  ;D

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13793 on: May 2, 2024, 11:05:12 pm »
Talk is cheap. Souey was a great player and I wish we had that sort now. Very talented, but also a hard man, so nobody bullied us. Owen was a fantastic goalscorer. If Nunez had some of his composure in front of goal we’d be laughing. 

Neither man is especially accomplished in their analysis, but punditry has a bias for familiar faces, rather than insight. It is what it is.

There isn’t a manager out there who comes without risk. The available older heads are all tainted in some way. So we were looking for an up and comer. We worked a process, identified Slot, and now we will see what’s what. As fans we are fair minded and will get behind him to see what he can do.

Personally I am quietly confident. I think he will inject a bit more buzz around the place, and get the players going again. It’s not as if we have fallen far, we are about to finish third, probably. But Klopp is out of gas and it needs fresh impetus. I can;t wait to see what Slot will do with the talented squad he will inherit. He will also have the backing of the club to shape it too. Good luck to that man.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #13794 on: May 2, 2024, 11:28:07 pm »

Bankers
Politicians
A lot of CEOs
Lots of reality TV "stars"
Tory journalists
My old MD
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13795 on: May 2, 2024, 11:38:22 pm »
Reckon more people will warm to him once he has his first press conference. Enthusiasm can be infectious and he seems to have tonnes of it.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13796 on: May 3, 2024, 02:40:06 am »
Reckon more people will warm to him once he has his first press conference. Enthusiasm can be infectious and he seems to have tonnes of it.

Nailed on he says something innocuous but easily misinterpreted and we have people on here calling for him to be sacked before he even starts.

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #13797 on: May 3, 2024, 03:05:19 am »
Been listening to a lot of podcasts about this guy and there’s a lot of positive things jumping out about him, one recurring theme among all I’ve listened to is the difference in personality between him and Ten Hag. An odd thing to stick out but did was the training attendance at Feyenoord is 90% and players speak about the enjoyment of it. More than once I’ve wondered about what our training style is when we look at the injuries we’ve had over the last few years. It’ll be interesting to see if that changes under Arne.
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #13798 on: May 3, 2024, 09:41:45 am »

My main concern is how good they are in getting us out of a rut- quickly.
It comes down to tactics as well, BUT another major factor is instilling belief and cohesion, I think.

I don't want us to experience the new-manager-bounce... then fall into medicority, and struggle to get out of that. And if we do come out of something like that... how quickly after 1 or 2 results don't go our way- can we get back to a winning run, etc..
« Last Edit: May 3, 2024, 09:45:28 am by the_red_pill »

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #13799 on: May 3, 2024, 09:51:44 am »
Been listening to a lot of podcasts about this guy and there’s a lot of positive things jumping out about him, one recurring theme among all I’ve listened to is the difference in personality between him and Ten Hag. An odd thing to stick out but did was the training attendance at Feyenoord is 90% and players speak about the enjoyment of it. More than once I’ve wondered about what our training style is when we look at the injuries we’ve had over the last few years. It’ll be interesting to see if that changes under Arne.
I've been looking at Feyenoord fan-content and they are all devastated- to man/woman. :(

Even the old guard are saying they've never seen that type of football and performances at De Kuip before, but one thing they're certain about is that he WILL deliver us the league within 2/3 seasons max- if not even sooner, and that he can sustain consistent year-on-year league performances.

Others who who are not affiliated with Feyenoord, also seem to echo those claims.

These are lofty claims, but we can only wait and see.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2024, 10:13:27 am by the_red_pill »