Author Topic: The Good Old Days - Wonderful wonky stadiums and fans  (Read 19414 times)

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
Re: The Good Old Days - Wonderful wonky stadiums and fans
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2023, 09:50:18 pm »
Thought it was something to do with ‘The Arsenal Stadium Mystery’ film. But maybe not. Loads of cracking old shots of Highbury. I live near it and sometimes walk through the flats that are there now. Feels really bizarre to stand in the centre circle and imagine what was once there.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2023, 10:32:33 pm »
It can’t’ve been Moscow Dynamo, thinking about it, because Molineux had the first set of floodlights but not until about 1951.

Amazing article here about that tour, with some cracking pictures worthy of this thread too.  The Highbury game was a foggy one apparently, so much so that nobody could actually see it.

Bonus points for using George Orwell quotes; a step up from Phil McNulty imo.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2023, 11:04:11 pm »
Ace thread. :)
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2023, 11:07:24 pm »
Roker Park...

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2023, 11:10:14 pm »
A slight aside... Highbury now. :)

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2023, 11:36:39 pm »
Who was there

Thought at first that was Highfield Road the season the sewer under the Kop collapsed. But I’m guessing it’s the Bridge when Kenny scored to win the league?

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2023, 08:09:29 am »
Bramall Lane when it was shared between cricket and football.  It was like this until about 1970, I’ve always wondered how it worked.  Could you go and sit in the pavilion if you liked, and watch from 100 yards away?  Wouldn’t the lino feel awfully exposed?  Where did MOTD put the cameras?
To answer my own question, I haven’t found much taken from the right angles, but I did find a couple of shots of Charlie George scoring there in the early 70s.  How it worked is it seems to have been all the glory of peak football on three sides of the pitch, and Sunday league stuff on the other:

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2023, 08:15:50 am »
The houses are still there

Incredible, would love to go back to that time, but only for a weekend .

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2023, 09:22:32 am »
Probably the wonkiest of the lot.
The Nest - Norwich's old ground

'Mis-hit passes, crosses and shots would regularly come pinging back off the wall and into the startled faces of the participants. Many a player would clatter into the big concrete menace while running at full pelt. Teams were instructed to keep their wits about them while taking corners, as at one point the chalk below one edge of the pitch gave way and had to be bolstered under the turf with railway sleepers. But the 22 men on the pitch had it easy compared with the spectators. In 1922 a barrier on top of the cliff capitulated, sending scores of fans tumbling down on to the pitch. It was a miracle there were no serious injuries, never mind deaths'.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 09:38:03 am by meady1981 »

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2023, 09:40:56 am »
Bunking in to Filbert street

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2023, 10:39:18 am »
Bramall Lane when it was shared between cricket and football.  It was like this until about 1970, I’ve always wondered how it worked.  Could you go and sit in the pavilion if you liked, and watch from 100 yards away?  Wouldn’t the lino feel awfully exposed?  Where did MOTD put the cameras?

My dad & uncle took me for an away day to see Newcastle play Sheffield United in the late 60s. They weren't that particularly interested in football, but they liked train journey's and looking back it was a day away from the wives for them. I remember very little about the match other than the great expanse of grass where the cricket pitch was and the pavilion way in the distance. That and a whole army of ball boys who went scampering off to fetch the ball when someone (inevitably) cleared it to the wide open spaces. No multiple balls in those days.

When the tv cameras were there I think they just rigged up a temporary scaffold arrangement on that side, so that to the casual viewer it looked much the same as any other ground.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2023, 10:41:26 am »
My dad & uncle took me for an away day to see Newcastle play Sheffield United in the late 60s. They weren't that particularly interested in football, but they liked train journey's and looking back it was a day away from the wives for them. I remember very little about the match other than the great expanse of grass where the cricket pitch was and the pavilion way in the distance. That and a whole army of ball boys who went scampering off to fetch the ball when someone (inevitably) cleared it to the wide open spaces. No multiple balls in those days.

When the tv cameras were there I think they just rigged up a temporary scaffold arrangement on that side, so that to the casual viewer it looked much the same as any other ground.
That’s exactly what I was hoping for, a thousand thanks!

Offline oldman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2023, 12:56:30 pm »
A slight aside... Highbury now. :)

wow - what a place to live if you're an arsenal fan

Offline oldman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2023, 01:02:39 pm »
Vale park
originally built as the Wembley of the north  :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 08:25:27 pm by oldman »

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2023, 05:53:10 pm »

Vetch Field, Swansea.  Built by photoshopping together at least four different other grounds and, at the far left, apparently a canal dock of some kind.

Edit: I can’t work out where the right-hand floodlight is.  It seems to be in front of the stand, but surely not?!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 06:28:49 pm by Iska »

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2023, 06:01:05 pm »

'Cathkin Park: Scotland's Great Lost Stadium' - an 11 minute video from the Tim Traveller:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/z9DV4ofsxGE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/z9DV4ofsxGE</a>

^ or click here to watch: www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9DV4ofsxGE

more info: www.stadiumguide.com/cathkinpark & https://groundhoppersblog.wordpress.com/2020/03/25/ghost-ground

« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 06:06:24 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2023, 06:19:11 pm »
To answer my own question, I haven’t found much taken from the right angles, but I did find a couple of shots of Charlie George scoring there in the early 70s.  How it worked is it seems to have been all the glory of peak football on three sides of the pitch, and Sunday league stuff on the other:

Ray Kennedy there in the bottom picture!

Fantastic thread btw.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2023, 08:05:10 pm »
Stamford Bridge

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2023, 08:05:46 pm »
San Siro before the roof

« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 09:03:24 pm by meady1981 »

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2023, 09:00:36 pm »
Original Barcelona ground - Estadi Català

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2023, 09:03:04 pm »
Building Wembley twin towers

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2023, 09:11:05 pm »
Vale park
originally built as the Wembley of the north  :D
Looks pretty impressive here.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2023, 09:34:37 pm »
Prenton Park in the 80s

Quite interesting, even after the stands were rebuilt, the cowshed was still the home end, think it changed in the late 90s when the cowshed stand became the away end, & Bebington kop became home end
#Sausages

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2023, 09:50:17 pm »
Incredible thread! My love for modern football and modern football stadiums is long gone and I long for when football was for the people and not just for the greedy fuckers right at the top.

Talking of wonky stadiums though, unless I missed it earlier in the thread, The Dell was magnificent in it's wonkiness...

"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2023, 09:55:25 pm »
Original Barcelona ground - Estadi Català

Holy shit! Reminds me a bit of going to see the Reds play Braga. They had a rocky cliff at one end of the ground. It didn’t have fans stood on it though!!

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2023, 10:09:21 pm »
Not sure whether this is off topic but they were discussing the portaloo's on top of the Sir Kenny Dalglish stand last week (from 2:00 minutes in). Apparently fitted for the convenience of the match day commentators!

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/h26lPWQ3W-c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/h26lPWQ3W-c</a>

I wonder where the flush goes!
 :o
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 10:11:16 pm by Yosser0_0 »
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2023, 10:13:32 pm »
I wonder where the flush goes!
 :o

Portaloos have a tank (that is emptied later using suction).

:)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2023, 10:20:55 pm »

Peace of mind I’m sure. Especially if you have elderly relatives on board.

Offline oldman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2023, 10:23:50 pm »
Looks pretty impressive here.

Don’t think that’s Vale park - roker  park maybe

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2023, 10:37:13 pm »

Aye, my dad has a tourer caravan and I quite often go over to see him when he's in North Wales or the lakes. Anyway I piss like a race horse and can often fill his tank within a couple of hours, much to his alarm as it usually takes him a few days. So now when I go over to see him, he's happy to see me but becomes a bit nervous about how long it will be before the tank will be full after the 'horse' has turned up. To be honest, now he just puts me on 'bog detail' and its up to me to walk to the campsite shitter to empty to jobby tank.
 ;D
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2023, 10:47:25 pm »
Remember going to watch chester city when I was a young lad and the away end was a grass bank with some concrete chucked around

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2023, 08:39:13 am »
Aye, my dad has a tourer caravan and I quite often go over to see him when he's in North Wales or the lakes. Anyway I piss like a race horse and can often fill his tank within a couple of hours, much to his alarm as it usually takes him a few days. So now when I go over to see him, he's happy to see me but becomes a bit nervous about how long it will be before the tank will be full after the 'horse' has turned up. To be honest, now he just puts me on 'bog detail' and its up to me to walk to the campsite shitter to empty to jobby tank.
 ;D

:D

Offline Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2023, 08:48:23 am »

I remember going to Bramhall Lane in the early 70s to watch the reds and the ground was only on three sides of the pitch with the cricket pitch being on the fourth side , a really weird set up , not sure when they got rid of the cricket pitch though 
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2023, 09:06:01 am »
Incredible thread! My love for modern football and modern football stadiums is long gone and I long for when football was for the people and not just for the greedy fuckers right at the top.
Agreed.  When I see the fawning over the latest steel and glass bowl with its 10k corporate capacity I die a little.  Contrarily, I am happy Anfield is being developed so we can remain competitive.  And so the cycle continues.

I watch far more non-league games in person now than professional games.  Partly because I don't live close to Liverpool anymore and I don't have any interest in adopting a second professional club.  Partly because it reminds me of the football I used to watch as a kid.  Wonky stadiums with bits built by whoever was chairman at the time with seemihgly zero artitectural advice sought, terraces, a shared bar (amazing what that does to reduce the "banter" chanting!!) and football that is a bit more heart-on-your-sleeves and a bit less chess.

A new ground on me recently was Derbyshire side Gresley Rovers in the Northern League Divison One.  They've been at their ground since 1907, apparently.  Not my photo, link below.

https://www.facebook.com/SelstonFC/posts/-moat-ground-home-of-gresley-fc-sfc/10159622953593782/

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2023, 09:25:39 am »
Yeah, problem with new stadiums  that you see them everywhere now, for Leicester City stadium, could easily be Southampton, Middlesbrough stadiums ecc, & are souless bowls too, i get the clubs needed a new stadium, but they could have tried & built something different rather than the generic soulless bowls that have spawned up.
#Sausages

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2023, 09:32:30 am »
I remember going to Bramhall Lane in the early 70s to watch the reds and the ground was only on three sides of the pitch with the cricket pitch being on the fourth side , a really weird set up , not sure when they got rid of the cricket pitch though

Few more views - and the stand being built

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2023, 09:37:45 am »
Don’t think that’s Vale park - roker  park maybe

Don't think it's Roker Park. I don't recognise what looks like a church or the factory in the far distance

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2023, 09:45:27 am »
Speaking of peculiar grounds how about this one, Northampton Town's old ground The County Ground was shared with Northamptonshire Cricket team

#Sausages

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2023, 09:56:53 am »
Don't think it's Roker Park. I don't recognise what looks like a church or the factory in the far distance

Villa park!

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2023, 10:03:24 am »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA