3 (0.2%)
Brentford
2 (0.1%)
Brighton
4 (0.3%)
Southampton
4 (0.3%)

Total Members Voted: 371

Author Topic: Predictions: Top 4  (Read 68586 times)

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Re: Predictions: Top 4
« Reply #1360 on: May 23, 2023, 08:03:09 am »
Problem with the Bournemouth defeat is it gave us little margin for error for the rest of the season and the next games were City/Chelsea and Arsenal where we only got 2 points and were still smarting from that game at City and Chelsea and first half v Arsenal. Had we followed up that United win by beating Bournemouth I think we would have got top 4.

I agree. Heck, had we drawn we would have been ahead of Manu with Manu playing a game less. Who knows what pressure being pushed out of the top 4 would had on Manu. As it is at no point all season did we sit in the top 4.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1361 on: May 23, 2023, 08:32:31 am »
Lots of people saying City will be different without pep. Does that mean he's not a fraud?

They'll still win titles but maybe a slight downturn in effort/adjusting to new tactics.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1362 on: May 23, 2023, 08:46:50 am »
Yeah they have Chelsea and Fulham at home. Could see them dropping points, but not losing twice.

It's over, and I've never wanted to say that at any point. Saturday ended our chances. Europa isn't an awful consolation and I think whether we'd snuck into the top 4 or not, our signings are probably already planned and in motion, so they wouldn't have been affected.

What you mean to say that had we got the added bonus of CL that FSG wouldn’t revise the budget to account for the extra funds? ;)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1363 on: May 23, 2023, 09:10:06 am »
Lots of people saying City will be different without pep. Does that mean he's not a fraud?

He an intense weirdo. But he knows what he’s doing!

Before he game it felt like they’d have a season on followed by a season off. A bit like Chelsea in the post Mourinho years. He could build such a strong culture that when he leaves everyone knows their kind and things carry on as normal. Or there could be an inevitable drop off. Which even if only minor, opens the door for anyone else who has their act together.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1364 on: May 23, 2023, 10:04:00 am »
They'll still win titles but maybe a slight downturn in effort/adjusting to new tactics.
He's a tough act to follow because he knows how to keep his teams motivated and guard against complacency. He's like Fergie to them.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1365 on: May 23, 2023, 10:59:49 am »
He's a tough act to follow because he knows how to keep his teams motivated and guard against complacency. He's like Fergie to them.

Definitely. Even the best sides struggle when a new manager comes in for a bit after prolonged success. In the Premier League at least. Anyone could take over PSG or Bayern pretty much and they'd just keep winning.

When Pep goes, his coaches go and some of the old guard will be nearing the exit (Mahrez, Gundogan, Bernardo, Walker are all 32)

They obviously have Haaland, Alvarez and Foden for many years to come. Stones, Dias, Akanji, KDB, Grealish as well have a good 3-5 years left.

It's hard to see a ridiculous decline but if we make the right signings we could maybe pip them if it coincides with a slight downturn.

We of course are going to lose VVD, Thiago, Hendo and Salah in the next couple of years you'd imagine.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #1366 on: May 23, 2023, 11:03:56 am »

Did he actually sign his new contract? I don't really take much notice to their news to be honest.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1367 on: May 23, 2023, 11:13:12 am »

It's hard to see a ridiculous decline but if we make the right signings we could maybe pip them if it coincides with a slight downturn.

Wishful thinking, but perhaps FSG are timing their spending to peak when City hit that dip? It's ridiculous any club should need to do that in the face of such cheating.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1368 on: May 23, 2023, 12:45:14 pm »

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1370 on: May 23, 2023, 12:54:12 pm »
When Pep goes, his coaches go and some of the old guard will be nearing the exit (Mahrez, Gundogan, Bernardo, Walker are all 32)

They obviously have Haaland, Alvarez and Foden for many years to come. Stones, Dias, Akanji, KDB, Grealish as well have a good 3-5 years left.

I actually think a lot of those players will see a big decline when Pep leaves and some will leave with him because of the expectation of decline. The only issue is when it happens. I'd love him to leave as soon as possible, but he can literally write a number on a piece of paper for as long as he wants to be there and get anything he wants. I'm loathe to give anyone at that particular branch of the abu dhabi propaganda project credit, but without Pep the project does look different. It's the money that got them Pep of course, but without Pep I don't see them being anything like this dominant.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1371 on: May 23, 2023, 01:47:07 pm »
I actually think a lot of those players will see a big decline when Pep leaves and some will leave with him because of the expectation of decline. The only issue is when it happens. I'd love him to leave as soon as possible, but he can literally write a number on a piece of paper for as long as he wants to be there and get anything he wants. I'm loathe to give anyone at that particular branch of the abu dhabi propaganda project credit, but without Pep the project does look different. It's the money that got them Pep of course, but without Pep I don't see them being anything like this dominant.
Mourinho was in the same position with unlimited funds at Chelsea almost 20 years ago but he only lasted 3 full seasons. It's not easy.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 01:52:29 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1372 on: May 23, 2023, 01:48:36 pm »
Leicester Chelsea will smash Newcastle Man Utd today Thursday and we’ll be back in with a chance.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1373 on: May 23, 2023, 01:52:12 pm »
Reach for the stars, Amir.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1374 on: May 23, 2023, 01:53:39 pm »
Reach for the stars, Amir.

That's plan B after the mushrooms run out.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1375 on: May 23, 2023, 04:07:11 pm »
That's plan B after the mushrooms run out.
The mushrooms might provide the necessary lift, don’t discount the possibility 😎
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1376 on: May 23, 2023, 04:26:45 pm »
City will be 15 points a season less when Pep goes.
Do City get Haaland if Pep isnt their i am not sure either.
He is a prick but a brillant manager
The day he goes it will be a great day.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1377 on: May 23, 2023, 04:39:56 pm »
Where's Peter? He promised us 3rd place
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1378 on: May 23, 2023, 04:57:45 pm »

He's on the phone to the bookies asking if he can have his £1000 back.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #1379 on: May 23, 2023, 05:06:21 pm »
:lmao :lmao :lmao :wellin

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1380 on: May 23, 2023, 05:07:35 pm »

;D
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1381 on: May 23, 2023, 06:35:02 pm »
Mourinho was in the same position with unlimited funds at Chelsea almost 20 years ago but he only lasted 3 full seasons. It's not easy.

There was a limit, even at chelsea. The city owners could hire Roman Abramovich as their butler if they wanted to. But take the wider point of course, whilst I'd say that Pep's 'style' is better suited over time than Jose's 'seige mentality' thing that always had a shelf life.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1382 on: May 23, 2023, 08:39:26 pm »
If the PL relegates them I don't see Pep staying. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that happens in the next year or two.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1383 on: May 23, 2023, 08:48:43 pm »
There was a limit, even at chelsea. The city owners could hire Roman Abramovich as their butler if they wanted to. But take the wider point of course, whilst I'd say that Pep's 'style' is better suited over time than Jose's 'seige mentality' thing that always had a shelf life.
While at Chelsea , the financial limit was never curtailed like city can do now. He effectively had limitless funds.
His style though wasn't likely to last more than a few years.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1384 on: May 24, 2023, 09:47:24 am »
So we need to win our last game and United to lose both theirs. In that sense, did anything really change by drawing with Villa? We still needed United to lose 2 anyway if I have it right.

So long as United lose to Chelsea tomorrow, it will at least make the final day interesting for a while.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1385 on: May 24, 2023, 10:13:43 am »

Pep is effective at relentlessly winning domestically compared to an Ancelotti who loses interest after one title or Mourinho whose head explodes after 2 seasons in a job. His Bayern teams barely dropped a point up to the point of confirming the title. It's very boring dominance, as the games are so one sided due to their possession and it relies on limitless budgets (City), having way more money than anyone else (Bayern) or a freakish generation of talent (i.e. Barca).

However, he's underachieved in Europe with the teams he's had and the domestic success he's had. Although that'll all be forgotten in a couple of weeks, it shouldn't have taken him 6 years at City to win a CL (or no final in 3 years at Bayern). He couldn't retain the CL either with the greatest club team of at least the last 25-30 years, including a ridiculous bottle job against a Di Matteo led Chelsea.

Before Pep can be labelled a genius he needs to come off cheat mode.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 10:19:31 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1386 on: May 24, 2023, 10:24:14 am »
So we need to win our last game and United to lose both theirs. In that sense, did anything really change by drawing with Villa? We still needed United to lose 2 anyway if I have it right.

So long as United lose to Chelsea tomorrow, it will at least make the final day interesting for a while.

2 draws would've been sufficient.

Had we beaten Villa and Newcastle still failed to beat Leicester, we'd have had a chance of finishing ahead of them with a decent win v Southampton and them drawing at Chelsea.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1387 on: May 24, 2023, 12:42:01 pm »
2 draws would've been sufficient.

Had we beaten Villa and Newcastle still failed to beat Leicester, we'd have had a chance of finishing ahead of them with a decent win v Southampton and them drawing at Chelsea.

Pretty sure Newcastle would have won on Monday if they had to or we beat Villa. They only needed a draw and they battered a woeful Leicester and missed open goals and all sorts. Last 25  minutes they pretty much took their foot off and settled for a draw against a team who were causing them no problems.

Takes the pressure off United though.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1388 on: May 24, 2023, 12:45:23 pm »
We won 7, lost 1 and drew 2 of our last 10 games. It was a really good run and illustrates that it was lost way before that run.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1389 on: May 24, 2023, 12:52:21 pm »
We won 7, lost 1 and drew 2 of our last 10 games. It was a really good run and illustrates that it was lost way before that run.

We needed to win the last 10 games from Arsenal onwards and even then we'd still be behind Newcastle on goal difference with a game left.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1390 on: May 25, 2023, 12:07:10 pm »
We needed to win the last 10 games from Arsenal onwards and even then we'd still be behind Newcastle on goal difference with a game left.

No side should have to win their last 10 to achieve their aims. If that's the case they've fucked up too much before that or they're up against a cheat. Both have been true In our last 4 seasons.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1391 on: May 25, 2023, 12:17:16 pm »

He's a perfectionist and demands high standards. They were playing like shit around Jan and he was flipping out at them and bombed Cancelo out. That can backfire as well . What seemed to get them going was the PL charge but again Guardiola knows how to use things like that to motivate.

He's extremely obsessive about winning relentlessly. Those manager usually burn out quick like Mourinho does. Pep himself did at Barca. He has kept that going at City which only Ferguson has managed in the modern era.

The resources are the key though and no CL up to now is poor. He's effective at domestic dominance because he can just churn out win after win unless they're on a poor run.