Author Topic: Daniel Andre Sturridge  (Read 1157449 times)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
Re: Daniel Andre Sturridge
« Reply #8160 on: July 24, 2014, 06:42:50 am »
My point is that it is unlikely that he will continue to do what he has been doing, not because he is crap, or lazy, or somehow has a problem, but because almost no-one in the world keeps doing what he's been doing.  The general sentiment on this thread is exactly what you suggest, that he will keep doing what he has been doing, or even improve on it.  I don't want Daniel to be shat on when/if that doesn't happen.  I don't want people to be disappointed that Sturridge isn't miles better than Robbie Fowler, which is what people are predicting.

I don't think the best way to predict a player's future success is to make a subjective comparison of whether said player is better than another standard setting player.

Ted Knutson wrote about Sturridge earlier this year. As others have said, he's not been in a 'purple patch'. He's just that good.

http://www.statsbomb.com/2014/02/we-need-to-talk-about-daniel-sturridge/

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
  • He hits them from 40 yards...
« Reply #8161 on: July 24, 2014, 06:48:04 am »
His post match interview with NBC was very good, and funny. Loved his response to the "Now Suarez is gone, do you consider yourself the man?" question. Basically said it's a team game and doesn't matter who's scoring the goals once the team is achieving its goals.
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05
               YNWA

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8162 on: July 24, 2014, 07:57:47 am »
30 goals would leave him as a bona fide established world class player.

Injuries are the only thing holding him back.

11 goals in 10 games when Suarez was out, wow that's some record.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #8163 on: July 24, 2014, 09:32:43 am »
Nope, was just watching the NBCSN stream to avoid having to be informed about what Dean Saunders had for breakfast on tour in 1989  ;)

You don't have to be a yank to appreciate Sturridge's cool persona  8)

Haha, Saunders could give Alan Partridge a run for his money in the bad anecdotes stakes.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8164 on: July 24, 2014, 05:02:36 pm »
Think he'll score 25+ this season. Will have a proper build up this preseason, will be our central focus and a greater depth of support. Reckon we'll get more games out of him too.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8165 on: July 24, 2014, 05:12:35 pm »
The interview was pure class, looks like he's bulked up during the summer

Putting on extra muscle takes a lot longer than a month.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8166 on: July 24, 2014, 05:14:56 pm »
Superb interview on NBCSN. He's such an infectious character. Fantastic showmanship too :D

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8167 on: July 24, 2014, 05:17:05 pm »
Superb interview on NBCSN. He's such an infectious character. Fantastic showmanship too :D

Yep - fantastic interview.

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8168 on: July 24, 2014, 08:16:34 pm »
Just saw his interview from last night.

Got me thinking. Daniel Sturridge is no bother to this club whatsoever. Absolutely no shite from him.

Really down to earth guy who wants to the best for this club. He is raring to go this season. Great guy and a great advert for the club.

I hope and do believe he will have a fantastic season for us.
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8169 on: July 24, 2014, 08:26:37 pm »
I have to admit I missed his dances

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #8170 on: July 24, 2014, 09:06:00 pm »
Probably my biggest wish for the season is 38 injury free games for this lad

He's still weirdly underrated - just a sensational player who we're really lucky to have

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8171 on: July 24, 2014, 09:16:03 pm »
Think this will be the season he cements his position as one of the elite forwards in European football.

Has everything from a technical standpoint, now he's going to be given an opportunity to become the focal point of one of the most exciting attacks in football at the moment. 

Its an opportunity I think he'll grasp with both hands.

Offline BreakfastPercy

• Legacy Fan
  • Follow me: @BreakfastPercy
« Reply #8172 on: July 24, 2014, 10:04:16 pm »
Straight away, arm round Lallana getting a photo in for instagram or whatever. Bet he's great for the new lads. That and he pisses talent.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #8173 on: July 24, 2014, 10:04:36 pm »
DAS.

Yeah.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8174 on: July 25, 2014, 03:06:45 am »
There is no debate that Sturridge has scored at a phenomenal rate at Liverpool.  There is no debate that the team will be organized in such a way for him to be put in the same sort of positions to score.  But strikers go through purple patches where they score at a much higher rate than is their average.  Papiss Cisse at Newcastle scored at over a goal a game when he arrived and now scores in 1 in 7.  we all know about Fernando Torres.

Sturridge has scored at about one goal every 2.5 games in his career, including his time at Liverpool.  Before Liverpool he scored at less than one in three (which is why he was sold).  He's in his prime, playing in his best position that results in the most scoring opportunities so I expect him to score at a rate better than his career average, but the most likely thing is that he will not continue to score at this phenomenal rate.  Thirty goals in a season is better than the top scorer in Italy has ever done.

Maybe Sturridge becomes one of the top five players in the world, I certainly hope he does, and he has the skill set to make that possible.  My only hope is that should he simply be a very good player, which I think is the most likely thing to happen, that people aren't disappointed by his performances.

Now hang on a minute...You're talking about numbers that include playing as mainly a substitute for Manchester City, playing sporadically and mostly as a substitute for Chelsea and playing for Bolton where he scored  8 goals in 12 matches leading the line as a 20 year old. At Manchester City, as a teenager, he became the first and only player to ever score in Youth FA Cup, The FA Cup and the Premier League in the same season. He was leading scorer in the Youth FA Cup that season and scored in the Final and also being voted Young Player of the Year. He was leading scorer for Chelsea in their FA Cup winning campaign in 2009-10 too. He scored in his Chelsea debut (in a friendly)..in his Champions League debut for Chelsea and in his Liverpool debut after 7 minutes.

It's not easy to downplay this kid's talent but you have managed to do so. Why? He's fantastic goalscorer and I would be surprised if he scored less than 20 in the league this season barring significant layoffs for injury. Would be much more interesting to see his goals per 90 minutes numbers than a "1 in 3" that includes time as a youngster, a substitute and a player played out of position. Since January 2 seasons ago he has proven himself to be one of the top goalscorers in the league at Liverpool, scoring goals regularly and at a rate barely rivaled in Liverpool's history and as it stands he is the top scorer from last season to still be employed in the Premier League.

Why would your "only hope" be that he's just a very good player? All the evidence points to him being on the verge of being a world class player. I hope he achieves it. If he doesn't I won't be upset-he already gives everything for Liverpool and seems to love it in the team but I think he will be one of our leading goalscorers in the record books when it's all over.

"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #8175 on: July 25, 2014, 11:31:11 am »
Would be much more interesting to see his goals per 90 minutes numbers ...

PL: 0,667 goals per 90 minutes
PL, CL, FA Cup, LC: 0,656

City: 0,432
Chelsea: 0,477
Bolton: 0,741
LFC: 0,834

PL 13-14: 0,873

If he plays the same number of minutes, but his rate drops to 0,8 in the PL this season he'll score 20. If his rate drops to 0,7 he'll score 17. If his rate stays the same and he plays the equivalent of 30 games he'll score 26 and if he plays the equivalent of 35 games he'll score 30.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8176 on: July 25, 2014, 01:31:32 pm »
Also he will have a bigger share of the chances Liverpool create this season now Luis has gone and it looks like, most likely, that he will be playing as a lone-ish number 9. What is his record without Suarez in the team? 11 in 10 or something? I expect him to *at least* maintain his current per 90 goalscoring rate if he maintains his chance conversion rate (on a par with Suarez and Aguero last season) which he should do given his talent level as he moves into his peak 25-28/29 years.

Downplaying expectations, to me, is either Hodgson-ing or underrating Dan. This guy is very, very, very good at football and he knows it. He is right to be aiming high.

The wider question for the team is can we replace the overall number of chances that we created last season that centred from Suarez by spreading resources and trying to improve the team/squad but losing that world class individual.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8177 on: July 25, 2014, 02:29:36 pm »
More than likely he is the main man this season unless we shell out some of Suarez money on another starting striker. If that is the case then he will have a lot more attention this year so will have to raise his game to score 20 league goals again.

Was last year a one off in a generation having two strikers score more than 20 league goals? Probably was as the odds are against us to score 100 league goals again & to have two guys scoring 20 plus each. If Daniel gets the support from the likes of Sterling, Remy, Markovic & Co then I can see him scoring 20 again as he did it at a canter last year. Im also hoping Sterling will continue his progress as he could be our best attacking player bar none, that's how good I think he is.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8178 on: July 25, 2014, 05:59:12 pm »
Why would your "only hope" be that he's just a very good player?

I said, "my only hope is should he be just a very good player..."  I hope he scores a billion goals a game for 90 years.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8179 on: July 25, 2014, 06:06:01 pm »
I said, "my only hope is should he be just a very good player..."  I hope he scores a billion goals a game for 90 years.

What's wrong with being  a "Very good" player? Who  would criticise someone for being very good?

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8181 on: July 28, 2014, 12:11:23 pm »
I've removed the illness ones and separated it into the 7 seasons it covers, what this doesn't show is games missed which I think is important as a feeling one or two of these resulted in no games being missed and just a few days of rest/no training.

Hip/Thigh Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2014 June 14th
Hamstring Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2014 April 13th
Ankle/Foot Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2013 November 29th
Hip/Thigh Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2013 November 9th
Hip/Thigh Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2013 September 1st

Ankle/Foot Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2013 May 29th
Hip/Thigh Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2013 March 19th
Hip/Thigh Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2013 February 25th
Hip/Thigh Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2013 February 3rd
Hamstring Injury    Chelsea Injuries    2012 November 17th
Hamstring Injury    Chelsea Injuries    2012 September 17th
Toe Injury    Chelsea Injuries    2012 August 11th

Toe Injury    Chelsea Injuries    2012 February 29th
Hip/Thigh Injury    Chelsea Injuries    2011 December 31st
Knee Injury    Chelsea Injuries    2011 September 22nd

Ankle/Foot Injury    Bolton Wanderers Injuries    2011 April 25th

Hip/Thigh Injury    Chelsea Injuries    2009 December 1st
Calf Muscle Strain    Chelsea Injuries    2009 September 21st

Hip/Thigh Injury    Manchester City Injuries    2009 May 1st
Groin Strain    Manchester City Injuries    2009 January 29th
Ankle/Foot Injury    Manchester City Injuries    2008 October 29th

Hip/Thigh Injury    Manchester City Injuries    2007 October 13th
Leg    Manchester City Injuries    2007 August 29th

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/players/2578/daniel_sturridge_injury.html?SKEY=m3m49dc8f96fftdjle0c1br2u1

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #8182 on: July 28, 2014, 12:14:16 pm »
I've removed the illness ones and separated it into the 7 seasons it covers, what this doesn't show is games missed which I think is important as a feeling one or two of these resulted in no games being missed and just a few days of rest/no training.

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/players/2578/daniel_sturridge_injury.html?SKEY=m3m49dc8f96fftdjle0c1br2u1

All bad Dancers injuries.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8183 on: July 28, 2014, 12:14:31 pm »

Think it also shows the importance that we bring in someone not dissimilar to him as back-up as he still has fitness to prove etc. If the lad can get over these little niggles, I think he scores goals, goals and more goals.

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #8184 on: July 28, 2014, 12:22:46 pm »
Here's a better breakdown with time missed

Description          Start Date    End Date

Hamstring          13/04/14   24/04/14
Ankle Ligaments   26/11/13   08/01/14
Hip/Thigh Injury   01/09/13   14/09/13
Ankle Ligaments   29/05/13   04/08/13
Hamstring          19/02/13   08/03/13
Hip/Thigh Injury   03/02/13   15/02/13
Hamstring          18/11/12   11/12/12
Hamstring          16/09/12   18/10/12
Broken Toe          12/08/12   17/08/12
Viral Meningitis          02/07/12   23/07/12
Knee Injury          20/09/11   26/09/11
Suspended          21/05/11   27/08/11

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8185 on: July 28, 2014, 12:26:13 pm »
Worked out what those injuries means in terms of games missed (looked at stats of games he played in so it's accurate!), out of 9 injuries for us 5 of them resulted in no games missed, and 3 resulted in only 1 game being missed. So just the one resulted in a long term layoff.

Hip/Thigh Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2014 June 14th - Missed no games
Hamstring Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2014 April 13th - Missed 1 game
Ankle/Foot Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2013 November 29th - Missed 9 games
Hip/Thigh Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2013 November 9th - Missed no games
Hip/Thigh Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2013 September 1st - Missed no games

Ankle/Foot Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2013 May 29th - Missed no games
Hip/Thigh Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2013 March 19th - Missed no gamess
Hip/Thigh Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2013 February 25th - Missed 1 game
Hip/Thigh Injury    Liverpool Injuries    2013 February 3rd - Missed 1 game

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8186 on: July 28, 2014, 12:29:36 pm »
So for the record, that's played 49 out of a possible 61 games since he joined us (over 80% of the games).

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8187 on: July 28, 2014, 12:35:42 pm »
Worked out what those injuries means in terms of games missed (looked at stats of games he played in so it's accurate!), out of 9 injuries for us 5 of them resulted in no games missed, and 3 resulted in only 1 game being missed. So just the one resulted in a long term layoff.
Productive morning in the office then  ;D

Problem is if you increase the output from one game per week, to invariably two games a week, then the risk of injury becomes much greater.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8188 on: July 28, 2014, 12:38:32 pm »
Productive morning in the office then  ;D

Problem is if you increase the output from one game per week, to invariably two games a week, then the risk of injury becomes much greater.

Yep  ;D

I agree, if you add in CL games then he could potentially miss more, but then he could just as easily play in more and be injured when we don't have CL games, so his % played goes up.

I'm not arguing we shouldn't sign another top goal scorer, I personally think we should, but just trying to dispel a bit of the myth that he is a perma crock as some seem to throw around on here.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8189 on: July 28, 2014, 01:18:24 pm »
I agree, if you add in CL games then he could potentially miss more, but then he could just as easily play in more and be injured when we don't have CL games, so his % played goes up.

I'm not arguing we shouldn't sign another top goal scorer, I personally think we should, but just trying to dispel a bit of the myth that he is a perma crock as some seem to throw around on here.

It is getting a little annoying the way he is being portrayed by some people, signing another attacker is a sensible move because it means you are less worried about injuries, suspensions or dips in form, but this portrayal of him is getting out of hand.

It is a miracle that he scored over 20 goals last season when by some people's comments you might think he was out on the pitch in a wheelchair.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8190 on: July 28, 2014, 01:19:43 pm »
It is a miracle that he scored over 20 goals last season when by some people's comments you might think he was out on the pitch in a wheelchair.

35 in 49 games  8)

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8191 on: July 28, 2014, 04:52:42 pm »
Jamie Carragher: Luis Suarez 'bullied' Daniel Sturridge at times last season for Liverpool:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jamie-carragher-luis-suarez-bullied-3926321#.U9ZsJ4qhw_Q.twitter

Offline northern Monkey

• Kopite
« Reply #8192 on: July 28, 2014, 05:39:16 pm »
Not sure bullied is the right word. Luis was larger than life and not only attempting but also succeeding in pulling off the outrageous.  Not to mention he was the guy we had to keep happy to try and keep lo g term. Forget how that turned out. The boss had to try to keep him happy.

Now we. An see Daniel unleashed. Teams will be so happy to not see Suarez on the team sheet only as long as it takes Sturbridge to impose himself.  I think that won't take long and we will see an incredibly hungry and motivated Sturbridge step up.  Not only can he be "the man" but I think he genuinely wants to be.

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #8193 on: July 28, 2014, 06:51:57 pm »
Not sure bullied is the right word. Luis was larger than life and not only attempting but also succeeding in pulling off the outrageous.  Not to mention he was the guy we had to keep happy to try and keep lo g term. Forget how that turned out. The boss had to try to keep him happy.

Now we. An see Daniel unleashed. Teams will be so happy to not see Suarez on the team sheet only as long as it takes Sturbridge to impose himself.  I think that won't take long and we will see an incredibly hungry and motivated Sturbridge step up.  Not only can he be "the man" but I think he genuinely wants to be.
Have we signed another striker that I'm not aware of?
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8194 on: July 28, 2014, 06:58:08 pm »
That's Sturridge's alter ego. He appears when we need help getting over troubled water.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #8195 on: July 29, 2014, 03:22:34 am »
Needs a song...

dadadadadadada sturridge!
Hell, that dance of his goes without a song, imagine if he had one...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #8196 on: July 29, 2014, 03:51:42 am »
I actually think that sooner or later, he'll hit a bit of a dry spell. All strikers do, even the world class ones. The thing is though, I'm not worried about that at all, because he's so talented, it wouldn't surprise me if he kept up this phenomenal rate of scoring and ended the season top scorer either. If we keep showing him the love, he'll keep producing the goods  ;D
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline northern Monkey

• Kopite
« Reply #8197 on: July 29, 2014, 08:45:16 am »

Heh, damn autocorrect.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #8198 on: July 29, 2014, 11:56:49 am »
Don't think this has been linked.

Sturridge believes he and his Liverpool teammates will cope with Suarez loss

Jul 28, 2014 22:23
    By James Pearce
    2 Comments

Sturridge intends to embrace being the focal point of the Reds' attack

Daniel Sturridge of Liverpool celebrates with Luis Suarez after scoring the fifth goal for Liverpool during the Barclays Premier League match between Cardiff City and Liverpool at Cardiff City Stadium on March 22, 2014 in Cardiff, Wales. (Photo by John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)

Daniel Sturridge is convinced the loss of prolific strike partner Luis Suarez won't wreck Liverpool FC's pursuit of glory this season as he vowed: “We'll all step up.”

The England international is ready to take on more responsibility following the Uruguayan's club record £75million move to Barcelona.

Sturridge and Suarez became the Reds' most prolific double act for half a century when they netted 52 Premier League goals between them last term.

That equalled the tally of Kop legends Roger Hunt and Ian St John in 1963/64 but back then a league season was over 42 matches.

The departure of Suarez, who took the Golden Boot with 31 goals, leaves a void but Sturridge intends to embrace being the focal point of the Reds' attack.

“It was a unique partnership,” Sturridge said.

“I wish Luis all the best. We shared some good times together.

“We created history together with our goals and I think we became the most successful Liverpool partnership together in one season.

“In terms of next season for the goals, I’ll step up myself and everyone has to step up to get the goals because it is a long season.

“The new boys who have come in as well as the players who have been there all season. This is a huge club with a lot of players who can step up.

“Luis has left and that's football. He’s moved on but he’s doing it for himself and his family.

“As a team we will move forward, I wouldn’t say I’m the main man. We are going to do our best to move forward as a squad. And do our best to be involved at the top.”

Liverpool's Jordan Henderson and Daniel Sturridge make sandwiches at a Subway shop on Tremont Street in Boston as part of their pre-season tour of America. Liverpool's Jordan Henderson and Daniel Sturridge make sandwiches at a Subway shop on Tremont Street in Boston as part of their pre-season tour of America.

Suarez may have gone but Sturridge has been impressed by the business Liverpool have done in the transfer market this summer.

They have already spent around £77million on deals for Rickie Lambert, Emre Can, Adam Lallana, Lazar Markovic and Dejan Lovren.

The £10million transfer of Divock Origi will be announced on Tuesday but the Belgium striker will spend the coming season on loan at Lille.

Sturridge doesn't fear that the club's remarkable resurgence under Brendan Rodgers will be halted.

“No, I think Liverpool FC is a huge club, it’s an elite club and people don’t realise that,” he added.

“Players come and go in football, that’s the nature of the game.

“Some players will remain at a club their whole career like Stevie (Gerrard) and some will move to different clubs.

“For me with the signings that the manager has made - exciting players, young players, 'up and comers' as they call them with experience of the Premier League - we are going to have that winning mentality and the mentality to move forward.

“We'll be an exciting squad, playing attacking football and that’s the Liverpool way. We will continue to do that.

“I will do my best and give 100% as I always do and I’m sure the other boys will do the same.

“Whoever is selected will go out there with the right mentality and try to win games for Liverpool.”

Sturridge, speaking during a player appearance at Subway during the club's tour of America, is keen to put the double disappointment of the Premier League title race and the World Cup with England behind him.

The free-scoring Reds found themselves needing just seven points from their final three matches to end the club's 24-year wait for the top-flight crown but the big prize eluded them.

Sturridge then headed for Brazil where he scored in the opening game against Italy but Roy Hodgson's side were beaten and crashed out in the group stage.

“It was a hard lesson to take in terms of going out so early but that is fuel for the fire, fuel for the future for England,” he said.

“That is a lesson we have learned from and we understand what we have to do.

“Sometimes the dirty things, the things we don’t want to do, wasting time and the little things that win games and competitions.

“We have learned from that, the younger players especially. We will move forward from that and also take those things from England into playing for Liverpool. That is the key, to continue to improve and learn no matter what age you are.

“It was very hard to take in the Premier League but you have to move on. Now it’s a new season and I’m excited and looking forward to it.”

With Liverpool's rivals having also been busy in the transfer market this summer the bar will need to be raised again.

But Sturridge says there's a real hunger in Rodgers' squad to succeed both domestically and on the continent as the club returns to the Champions League after a five-year absence.

“This season maybe we still are the underdogs with the signings the other clubs have made,” he added.

“Arsenal spending big money, Chelsea buying two top players in (Diego) Costa and (Cesc) Fabregas and Man City will always be strong with the players they sign. The list goes on… Tottenham and Manchester United.

“It’s going to be a great season for us to show what we can do again. “Regardless if we are the underdogs or the favourites, it won’t change our mentality.

“We are a young, hungry squad that are looking to put our stamp down not just in the Premier League but European football as well.

“We will try to move forward as a squad with a great manager behind us who has got the exact same mentality.

“He is hungry for success. That is the motto - everybody is hungry for success here.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/daniel-sturridge-believes-liverpool-fc-7523211
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8199 on: July 29, 2014, 12:24:30 pm »
Don't think this has been linked.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/daniel-sturridge-believes-liverpool-fc-7523211

Can't help but like this guy.

His record for us so far is phenomenal.  There's no reason to believe he won't go from strength to strength.

When a key striker has left in the past, we've always had to go out and find a new one to replace him.

They're not the same types of players of course, but in terms of goal scoring, we're so lucky we had 2 prolific goal scorers already at the club.