Author Topic: Someone should write a Book  (Read 7538 times)

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
Someone should write a Book
« on: October 17, 2010, 12:36:48 am »
 I've been thinking for months now that someone should write a book about Liverpool Football Club's most recent era. By that I mean from the day that Rafa Benítez took over as manager to the moment we cheered the removal of Hicks and Gillett.

I say this because I've been a Liverpool fan for the entirety of my life but never have I seen a more fascinating, emotional set of years for my club. The conspiracy, propaganda and power struggles that go with modern sport hit LFC hard in the last six years and have enthralled us as much as they angered us (don't say they didn't, we all got involved at some point) and all the opinions coming out in one book would be fascinating.

I for one would pay good money to read a book with the compiled accounts of the main players of those years. Everyone from Moores & Parry to Benítez to Broughton & Purslow... It has potential to be incredibly successful.

Just a thought that came back to me. Carry on.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Someone should write a Book
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:40:24 am »
I'm not sure i would pay to read what happened in the last few years, but definitely a lot of investigating and questioning needs to happen over who did what.

Offline AirConGipsyRed

• The Floater in Camerons Toilet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 12:40:46 am »
tomkins will. if he hasn't already. not a blight on him either
The wheels on my house go round and round, round and round..........

"I don't care about pollution, I'm an Air-Conditioned Gipsy, That's my solution, Watch the police and the tax man miss me, I'm mobile"

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 12:46:33 am »
Been thinking this for a while myself too. I think a very apt title would be "Custodians" if you were to write one about the H&G era!
Ya we have been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe if we score then it will be different and we scored and it was different.  - Rafael Benitez Ataturk Stadium Istanbul 26 May 2005

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 12:49:12 am »
Been thinking this for a while myself too. I think a very apt title would be "Custodians" if you were to write one about the H&G era!

I was going for 'Epic Swindle' myself.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 12:50:33 am »
I personally await a Rafa autobiography with baited breath.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 12:54:44 am »
Quick, quick.  Lock the thread, before Evo turns up and starts to flog his wares.  :-X

hoonin

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 01:00:05 am »
Duncan Oldham is your man. Well renowned for publishing books detailing the "explosive secrets of Anfield".

Anyone read 'Anfield Exposed' yet?

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 01:01:13 am »
Duncan Oldham is your man. Well renowned for publishing books detailing the "explosive secrets of Anfield".

Did it ever get released?

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 01:01:49 am »

Is that the fella who post youtube vids of him sweating and heavily breathing.....while muttering shite about us?
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Visigoth33

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 01:03:44 am »

while collecting deposits for his award-winning master piece.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 01:04:41 am »

How the fuck does that bellend write anything with a straight jacket on?

Offline Doc Evil

• PunjabEvo - "Goin' Madrid lad? Gorranyspares?"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kelvin McKenzie is a c*nt. SOS 7175
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 01:05:00 am »
Duncan Oldham is your man. Well renowned for publishing the first thing that pops into his head - usually complete and utter shite

There fixed it for you.
"You going to Madrid lad? Gorrany spares?"

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 01:47:24 am »

He's taking payments already.

Offline generic_name

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 01:53:43 am »
I personally await a Rafa autobiography with baited breath.

I think you'll be waiting a long time, he doesn't seem the type to spill the beans in a sensationalist book.

Offline Graceless

• Main Stander
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 02:07:58 am »
He's taking payments already.

He's been taking payments for a few years apparently.

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 02:24:18 am »
I think you'll be waiting a long time, he doesn't seem the type to spill the beans in a sensationalist book.

Not at the moment. One day though, the truth will come out.

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 02:27:58 am »
I was going for 'Epic Swindle' myself.

Doh! Why didn't I think of that one!?
Ya we have been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe if we score then it will be different and we scored and it was different.  - Rafael Benitez Ataturk Stadium Istanbul 26 May 2005

Offline social

• Main Stander
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 02:45:25 am »
Although it wasn't directed at our club, it fits.  I think a book should be titled "They Bought Me A Lamp."

Offline BetterRedthanDead

• Kemlynite
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 05:14:59 am »
'The Rafalution and an Epic Swindle' anyone?

Offline Des Equilibrante

• Legacy Fan
  • Ex-pat Pie-Eater
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 05:16:27 am »
3 Years & 60 Days
Some say he haunts Rawk threads.

All we know is, he's called Des Equilibrante

Offline hiphopdj

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 09:18:02 am »
write a book you could make a movie of the whole sorry episode over the last 6 years from when Moores realised that he could not cope financially. From triumph to tragedy and an epic swindle.
For those of you watching in blue and white this is what a european cup looks like.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 10:09:57 am »
Although it wasn't directed at our club, it fits.  I think a book should be titled "They Bought Me A Lamp."

A lamp made in Italy which cost £20m and spent most of the time switched off because it kept breakong down!!

How about this for a title - Lies, Damned Lies and Hicks and Gillet

Offline Labyrinth9

• Main Stander
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 10:20:54 am »
write a book you could make a movie of the whole sorry episode over the last 6 years from when Moores realised that he could not cope financially. From triumph to tragedy and an epic swindle.

And hopefully sooner rather than later, back to the top again.

Would make for a hell of a movie/book/whatever.

Offline Markus

• Main Stander
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 10:24:52 am »
I think a documentary would be good.
"Dalglish told me that we're the ones who make people's dreams come true. The fans can't play, so they live their dreams through us."

Offline Licky

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 11:24:32 am »
I've been thinking about this for days. Surely Mike Jefferies should make a film about all this
They have translated from Halmstads to Malmo, to Orebo to Neuchatel Xamax, to the Swiss national team, so I find the question insulting.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 06:14:41 pm »
I think a documentary would be good.

That would probably be harder to pull off.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #27 on: January 3, 2011, 10:34:43 am »
Brian Reades new book maybe a good read out in April.

An Epic Swindle: 44 Months With a Pair of Cowboys

by Brian Reade

Synopsis

This book tells, for the first time, through the personal experiences and insights of the key people involved, the true horror of Tom Hicks' and George Gillett's disastrous 44-month reign at Anfield. It will tell how two men who knew nothing about football, and whose only ambition was turning a fast buck, managed to take over Liverpool without putting down so much as a cent. It tells how the naive buffoons who ran LFC gave the keys of one of the world's most iconic football clubs to the worst kind of leveraged buy-out sharks, with no questions asked. It tells how even the most hardened of Scouse cynics, including the author, fell for it. The endgame to this saga - the sale to the Boston Red Sox owners, Hicks' desperate attempt to sack the board, a renewed offer from Singapore, the High Court case and the Texas injunctions - is a drama worthy of its own book. Brian Reade's gripping account incorporates exclusive interviews with participants at every level, from the board directors to ex-manager Rafa Benitez, ex-players including John Aldridge and Ian St John, and current players Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard. 44 Months With a Pair of Vultures is the riveting story of how close one of the great football clubs came to financial implosion.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/brian+reade/an+epic+swindle/8297894/
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #28 on: January 3, 2011, 10:39:38 am »

by Brian Reade

Synopsis

This book tells, for the first time, through the personal experiences and insights of the key people involved, the true horror of Tom Hicks' and George Gillett's disastrous 44-month reign at Anfield. It will tell how two men who knew nothing about football, and whose only ambition was turning a fast buck, managed to take over Liverpool without putting down so much as a cent. It tells how the naive buffoons who ran LFC gave the keys of one of the world's most iconic football clubs to the worst kind of leveraged buy-out sharks, with no questions asked. It tells how even the most hardened of Scouse cynics, including the author, fell for it. The endgame to this saga - the sale to the Boston Red Sox owners, Hicks' desperate attempt to sack the board, a renewed offer from Singapore, the High Court case and the Texas injunctions - is a drama worthy of its own book. Brian Reade's gripping account incorporates exclusive interviews with participants at every level, from the board directors to ex-manager Rafa Benitez, ex-players including John Aldridge and Ian St John, and current players Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard. 44 Months With a Pair of Vultures is the riveting story of how close one of the great football clubs came to financial implosion.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/brian+reade/an+epic+swindle/8297894/

Nice one. Look forward to this.

I wonder what the timeline was for the interview with Rafa. Before or after?
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #29 on: January 3, 2011, 10:40:43 am »

On order I'm told ;)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 3, 2011, 10:44:40 am »
Is that the fella who post youtube vids of him sweating and heavily breathing.....while muttering shite about us?
No, that's Alex Ferguson.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 3, 2011, 10:46:01 am »

by Brian Reade

Synopsis

Ha ha no flies on Reade is there? PT must be fuming.

Interesting that the previous bird-related title (bolded) slipped through the net in the synopsis ;)
« Last Edit: January 3, 2011, 12:27:27 pm by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 3, 2011, 10:47:52 am »
ex-players including John Aldridge and Ian St John, and current players Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard
Now this WILL be interesting. The former two known for spouting shite about Rafa, and the latter two notoriously silent on the subject of the owners at the time.

Offline FowlerLeftFoot

• Kopite
  • There's Only One God
« Reply #33 on: January 3, 2011, 12:05:28 pm »
Lol...get ur refund if you have not already done so..

---------------------------
SPREAD THE LINK  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/19149

Overseas Reds - use Anfields address  L4 0TH

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #34 on: January 3, 2011, 12:11:16 pm »

http://koptalkinsider.wordpress.com/duncan-oldhams-non-existent-anfield-exposed-book/

Can't believe anyone thought you were serious...

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #35 on: January 3, 2011, 12:21:32 pm »
It would be nice to know the truth that went on behind closed doors but somehow I doubt we'll ever find out.
#JFT97

Offline mobypool

• Boys Pen
« Reply #36 on: January 3, 2011, 12:22:06 pm »
mikejefferiesL4 Mike Jefferies
Congrats to Brian Reade (lovely bloke to have a beer with!) on his upcoming book AN EPIC SWINDLE http://tiny.cc/16k70 Can't wait to read it!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #37 on: January 3, 2011, 12:30:13 pm »
Could be called

I gave you great moments, they gave me the sack!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 3, 2011, 12:40:51 pm »
Someone will.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 3, 2011, 12:48:53 pm »
Surprised Purslow hasn't penned a book by now.