Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 587065 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #8120 on: October 9, 2021, 11:02:10 pm »
Currently reading Animal farm.

1984 and Why nations fail on the pipeline.

I don't recall Orwell writing this one.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8121 on: October 9, 2021, 11:26:40 pm »

On the Pipeline was one of his better works, though...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8122 on: October 10, 2021, 09:37:06 am »
Have been working my way through Philip Kerr's, Bernie Gunther series and I absolutely love them. Just read A Quiet Flame and If the Dead Rise Not. I love how people from history turn up so often, not just Nazis.
I have eight more to go but dont want them to end. Bernie is right up there with my favourite fictional characters, the only other character I love equally is Nelson DeMilles John Corey, both are capable of world class sarcasm.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8123 on: October 10, 2021, 10:50:54 am »

LOL. Not an Orwell writing that one. :)
Just a book that my professor recommended in class.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8124 on: October 11, 2021, 11:15:16 am »

I about to start Station Eleven written by Emily St. John Mandel, about a flu pandemic that kills 96% of The World.

Loved this.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8125 on: October 11, 2021, 02:49:02 pm »
Have been working my way through Philip Kerr's, Bernie Gunther series and I absolutely love them. Just read A Quiet Flame and If the Dead Rise Not. I love how people from history turn up so often, not just Nazis.
I have eight more to go but dont want them to end. Bernie is right up there with my favourite fictional characters, the only other character I love equally is Nelson DeMilles John Corey, both are capable of world class sarcasm.
I’ve read March Violets and The Pale Criminal. Had to take a break after that. Loved the books, though, and will certainly go back to them at some point. I’ve lives in Berlin as well so I recognize some of the locations.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8126 on: October 21, 2021, 11:05:40 pm »
Been reading a lot of Sharpe.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #8127 on: October 21, 2021, 11:08:53 pm »
I’ve read March Violets and The Pale Criminal. Had to take a break after that. Loved the books, though, and will certainly go back to them at some point. I’ve lives in Berlin as well so I recognize some of the locations.

May be worth trying to read them in chronological order. I've never done it and read them as I came across them in the library but seeing how his life changes systematically would be interesting.

I'll be re reading Patrick O'Brians Aubrey/Maturin series in chronological sometime soon.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #8128 on: October 21, 2021, 11:09:26 pm »

Careful it'll take your eye out.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8129 on: October 22, 2021, 09:17:51 am »

Jay Rayner`s "Chewing the Fat", which is interesting, but i thought i was getting a collection of his restaurant reviews which are often amusing.

Also, Woodward and Costa`s last Trump/Biden book "Peril". It`s blatantly obvious who the major sources in these books are as he/they always try to make them sound like heroes when that is in fact highly dubious. In this case Mark Milley (Chairman of the JCS), Mark Esper (Sec of Defence) and even Bill bloody Barr (his awful AG) get the star treatment.

Still working through "Uncommon People" by Mark Hepworth too, which is excellent.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #8130 on: October 22, 2021, 09:46:25 am »
Ring, by Koji Suzuki, the book that was later adapted into the film, The Ring. Iconic Japanese Horror, great book, way more hallucinatory and scary than the film.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #8131 on: November 2, 2021, 06:36:47 pm »
I am just wondering if anyone has re-read a book they hated at school, and did they feel any different about it? My friend is challenging me to re-read the Chrysalids by John Wyndham which I totally despised.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8132 on: November 2, 2021, 06:52:24 pm »
I am just wondering if anyone has re-read a book they hated at school, and did they feel any different about it? My friend is challenging me to re-read the Chrysalids by John Wyndham which I totally despised.
Haven’t read that for decades… so creepy.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #8133 on: November 2, 2021, 07:01:21 pm »
Haven’t read that for decades… so creepy.

It was creepy but I seemed to have problems really getting into the characters as well, as a result I found it really hard to care one way or another.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8134 on: November 3, 2021, 11:54:54 am »
Reading The Unconsoled by Kazuo Isiguro. Very strange so far but quite enjoying it.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8135 on: November 7, 2021, 01:52:38 am »
Not the last book I read but definitely one of the best is "killers of the flower moon" by David Grann. I'm mentioning it as its due to be released as a Scorsese Movie.
It's an incredible account of a conspiracy against the Osage Indians in the 1920s.
It's hard to envisage the whole story being told in a movie and I reckon a mini-series would probably do it more justice.

Have many here read it?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8136 on: November 7, 2021, 11:00:26 am »
Not the last book I read but definitely one of the best is "killers of the flower moon" by David Grann. I'm mentioning it as its due to be released as a Scorsese Movie.
It's an incredible account of a conspiracy against the Osage Indians in the 1920s.
It's hard to envisage the whole story being told in a movie and I reckon a mini-series would probably do it more justice.

Have many here read it?

Saw a film was to be made and meant to read the book.

Thanks for reminding me.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8137 on: November 7, 2021, 06:50:43 pm »

Currently half way through the new one - Sharpe's Assassin. First new Sharpe book since 2007. Its really good so far - no loss of form given the long hiatus.

My problem with Sharpe books is I sometimes read a random one when I'm between books, and then I end up reading the bloody lot again in order till I get back round to the one I started on. Must have read them all about 4 times now!

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8138 on: November 8, 2021, 02:45:47 am »
One Hundred Years of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez) - after coming out of two months of lockdown the first thing I did was visit my local library. I walked in, saw this one on the shelf and snapped it straight up. I've been meaning to read this for a while and it was worth the wait. Not an easy read with the repetition of names but an excellent & rewarding read nonetheless (the family tree in the front saved my life!). With smatterings of magic realism, we witness brutal violence, incest & unusual weather events.

Portnoy's Complaint (Philip Roth) - a very funny, filthy book. Having grown up with a non-practicing but self-identifying Jewish mother, this one made a lot of sense to me. I would say that this book has even changed my life, if that is even possible.

The Plot Against America (Philip Roth) - not as much fun as Portnoy's Complaint but still a worthwhile read for its prose.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8139 on: November 8, 2021, 08:30:56 am »
One Hundred Years of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez) - after coming out of two months of lockdown the first thing I did was visit my local library. I walked in, saw this one on the shelf and snapped it straight up. I've been meaning to read this for a while and it was worth the wait. Not an easy read with the repetition of names but an excellent & rewarding read nonetheless (the family tree in the front saved my life!). With smatterings of magic realism, we witness brutal violence, incest & unusual weather events.

Portnoy's Complaint (Philip Roth) - a very funny, filthy book. Having grown up with a non-practicing but self-identifying Jewish mother, this one made a lot of sense to me. I would say that this book has even changed my life, if that is even possible.

The Plot Against America (Philip Roth) - not as much fun as Portnoy's Complaint but still a worthwhile read for its prose.

I`ve read this a couple of times. It was very apt given the last four years in America. There`s a tv show too, but i havent seen it.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8140 on: November 9, 2021, 02:13:23 pm »

Have many here read it?
Yes, it's really terrific. I'm much more of a non-fiction reader than fiction, and this ticked all my boxes. Highly recommend.
I’m now reading Project Hail Mary. (It was on Obama’s reading list.)

And it’s superb…. Puts the science into science fiction.

Maybe Artemis was the difficult second album?
I did read this on my holidays and thoroughly enjoyed it. As you described it, more a book about friendship than sci-fi, but Weir's back in my good books now.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #8141 on: November 9, 2021, 03:54:19 pm »

Have many here read it?

Just bought for 99p on Kindle, I'll come back to you in about 6 months when i've caught up on other shit

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8142 on: December 6, 2021, 02:38:20 pm »

Have many here read it?
It's a great book and a very sad story about how Indians were treated as second class citizens in 20th century America. Excited to see how Scorsese adapts it.

Just finished reading The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin yesterday. Good SciFi story that follows a character traveling from his home planet where society is anarchic and egalitarian to a new planet where capitalism reigns. I preferred her later book Left Hand of Darkness but this is worth reading as well.

Also finished reading the Malcolm X autobiography (well, listened to the audiobook read by Laurence Fishburne - highly recommend). Very poignant and sad how the issues that are raised in that book still exist in America today after his murder.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #8143 on: December 6, 2021, 03:20:48 pm »
Just finished reading The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin yesterday. Good SciFi story that follows a character traveling from his home planet where society is anarchic and egalitarian to a new planet where capitalism reigns. I preferred her later book Left Hand of Darkness but this is worth reading as well.

We have a sci fi thread if you're interested.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=160678.0

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8144 on: December 6, 2021, 03:40:40 pm »

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #8145 on: December 6, 2021, 08:49:32 pm »
I got made to read Jane Eyre at school, that was dismal, can't say I've tried it again. I don't think I want to either.
Didn't really like the Merchant of Venice either, but I wouldn't mind trying that.  The bard did great stories , but so hard to read. (But I guess they are plays , so not really meant for reading).
Thanks to an interview on the Zoe Ball show today, I learnt the premise of the story behind Cyrano de Bergerac (excuse spelling).  I never realised Steve Martin's Roxanne was based on that. I wonder who wrote the original story behind Planes ,Trains and Automobiles.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #8146 on: December 6, 2021, 09:05:24 pm »
I wonder who wrote the original story behind Planes ,Trains and Automobiles.

Biblical isn't it?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #8147 on: December 6, 2021, 09:31:47 pm »
I wonder who wrote the original story behind Planes ,Trains and Automobiles.
I thought John Hughes based it on a trip he'd taken as a sales exec back in the day

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8148 on: December 6, 2021, 10:18:00 pm »
I got made to read Jane Eyre at school, that was dismal, can't say I've tried it again. I don't think I want to either.
Didn't really like the Merchant of Venice either, but I wouldn't mind trying that.  The bard did great stories , but so hard to read. (But I guess they are plays , so not really meant for reading).
Thanks to an interview on the Zoe Ball show today, I learnt the premise of the story behind Cyrano de Bergerac (excuse spelling).  I never realised Steve Martin's Roxanne was based on that. I wonder who wrote the original story behind Planes ,Trains and Automobiles.

Bacharach and David? 8)

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8149 on: December 7, 2021, 03:35:34 pm »
I read Kate Summerscales “The Haunting of Alma Fielding”, an investigation of the “poltergeist haunting” of the aforementioned by a parapsychology society. From 90 years later it’s easy to see how the subject used deception (sorry for the bleeding obvious spoilers)to get the attention & payments from the society. What I did like was the authors highlighting of the times (on the eve of WW2), the intense interest in the “supernormal” because of people’s close experiences of death, and also the approaches to the case from the spiritualist & psychological viewpoints. Worth a read.

Currently I’m reading Stephen Fry’s “Troy” & newly on the TBR pile Bob Mortimer’s bio “And Away” which I’m looking forward to.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #8150 on: December 7, 2021, 03:40:51 pm »

Now onto

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #8151 on: December 7, 2021, 04:06:41 pm »

That's going straight on the list. Thank you kindly.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #8152 on: December 8, 2021, 08:57:23 am »
That's going straight on the list. Thank you kindly.

Kindle Unlimited book if you have Kindle account

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #8153 on: December 14, 2021, 11:45:13 am »
Haven't been able to concentrate / focus on reading longer articles or books since I got Covid-19 last March. I know audiobooks are a great alternative but for me it just isn't the same as having the book in my hands.

I miss reading... :sad

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #8154 on: December 14, 2021, 06:28:04 pm »
I enjoyed Billy Summers until the last 100 pages or so, became a bit ridiculous.

I liked it, best in a while.

Got some action at the end. I reckon he saw a film in mind

But I got the vibe. It's like a detective sort of.. First half build the world. At which he is a master. Then action payoff. With a bit of soul

Not excellent though I like laughing at the one star Amazon reviews for 'mentions of Trump'

It's a story and it goes. Not horror. He lost horror tags ages ago.

Hard boiled pot boiler.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #8155 on: December 14, 2021, 06:31:56 pm »
Recently finished The Untouchables: Anfields Band of Brothers. Good insight and history of earlier times at the club and particularly the double champions in the early 20s. They did well to find out as much as the did on some of those players.

Would be of definite interest to anyone who enjoys reading about the early history of our club
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8156 on: December 27, 2021, 04:34:35 pm »
Currently reading Brazen Chariots by Robert Crisp. A notable tank historian reckons the nickname "Honey" for Stuart tanks comes from a Texan liaison officer, and not as popularly known from British tankers. I think this book is his source.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8157 on: December 28, 2021, 06:16:01 pm »
Got a kindle for Christmas and started The Power of The Dog on it, fantastic crime drama so far.

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8158 on: December 28, 2021, 11:20:53 pm »
Finished The Rachel Papers a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading more of Amis. Recently started The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, my first le Carré, which I'm also enjoying so far.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8159 on: December 29, 2021, 01:20:53 pm »
Finished The Rachel Papers a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading more of Amis. Recently started The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, my first le Carré, which I'm also enjoying so far.

I struggled through The Rachel Papers for months at a time. so, if you enjoyed that, his others will probably impress you more. I know that Money is the most lauded, but I think that London Fields is his best. He does have some nice ones and you always feel it is an accomplishment to read them; it's a strange feeling to have, but it's rewarding.

Le Carré, love his work. I do think you started with the best though.

I read the latest Tim Weaver - The Stranger at the door - in the David Raker series. Enjoyed it. Must read some more 'worthy' stuff next month though.