Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3495890 times)

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE
« Reply #64560 on: November 27, 2021, 07:56:13 pm »
Hope not

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #64561 on: November 27, 2021, 07:57:21 pm »
Will there be a lockdown? I'm going to return to the UK in december

Who knows? Doubt it, but gonna bank a pre-potential lockdown haircut on Tuesday on the off chance.
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64562 on: November 27, 2021, 07:57:57 pm »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64563 on: November 27, 2021, 08:03:14 pm »
Lockdown only happens if the health care system gets overwhelmed. And government has a different idea of what constitutes overwhelmed than the those working there.

I would say for lockdown to even enter the discussion, this variant would have to cause severe disease in vaccinated or previously infected people. If it doesn’t then we just carry on, maybe with higher numbers of infections if it’s more transmissible. The likely outcome of this variant is that speeds up the inevitable - the majority of those unvaccinated will pick it up sooner than would have happened without it. They were getting it anyway, they’ll just get it quicker. If they get it simultaneously in sufficient numbers to overwhelm the healthcare system then I guess lockdown enters the discussion. But even then it wouldn’t be a certainty.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #64564 on: November 27, 2021, 08:37:25 pm »

Who knows…… it’s not something the government would want to do and it would only happen as a last resort. A lot will depend on how how much protection the current vaccines gives you against the new variant. It will also depend on how the NHS is coping, but as we know the Governments take on how the NHS copes is very different to what actually happens within the NHS. I think certain restrictions above and beyond mask wearing may come back into place, but hopefully a full lockdown won’t happen.

A lot of people who have been double vaccinated will be waiting for boosters, or due one very soon, if the vaccine needs to be tweaked for the new variant, then let’s hope it can be done quite quickly.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64565 on: November 27, 2021, 10:17:07 pm »

I doubt it, thankfully.

I’ve said this all along but unless a variant arrives which massively mitigates immune response and basically puts us back in the position of March 2002 (and you’d need some fairly strong evidence to prove that that is the case), then another lockdown is an incredibly hard sell because people will understandably be asking the question ‘when will this fucking end’? Despite all the anti-vax divvies, the vast majority of the country have follows the rules and believed in the vaccine as a way out of this, if you suddenly get a variant and expect people to go back to square one it’s likely to be met with extreme resistance and I don’t blame anyone for feeling that way.

I believe in people coming together for the greater good but there has to be some limit to restricting people’s lives due to something which is a minimal threat to the vast majority, we can’t keep forcing people to live pigeon hole lives, it just has to end somewhere.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64566 on: November 27, 2021, 11:19:04 pm »
I doubt it, thankfully.

I’ve said this all along but unless a variant arrives which massively mitigates immune response and basically puts us back in the position of March 2002
This would be named the 'Anelka on loan' variant

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #64567 on: November 27, 2021, 11:24:17 pm »
This would be named the 'Anelka on loan' variant

Wait for the ‘Hamann subbed off in Leverkusen’ variant.

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64568 on: November 28, 2021, 12:52:36 am »
That's the case in the US, Ciara, depends on the state. My wife and I went to Southern Utah and there were not many masks seen. If you go to Arizona, you can get assaulted for wearing one. One has to pick which state to go to by their own conviction.

On the flip side, many of these measures don't have the expected effect as being ascribed by the experts. I think that the vaccines are doing their fair bit, but masks are not nearly as effective as being portrayed, unless everyone wears them. I can't imagine for a moment that I have not been exposed to the virus. I must have been at some stage, it would be extraordinarily improbable not to. I think almost everyone leaving a "normal" life has been exposed.  But maybe the viral load wasn't enough for it to develop, maybe the transfer is less efficient, I don't know.
Sorry, but I don't quite get your logic here... Of course masks are effective, but yes, only IF you wear one. You protect yourself and others, so naturally everyone (or nearly everyone) has to wear them for them to work. If people don't wear them, that does not take away from masks being an effective means of reducing transmission - but of course they are not if you don't use them, how could they be? Just carrying them around under your chin or hoping that they'll protect everyone if just ten percent wear them is not how this works.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 12:54:28 am by lamad »

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #64569 on: November 28, 2021, 01:23:29 am »
Apparently 3 cases in Israel with no travel history, I suspect we will find there has already been a fair bit of community transmission in some countries.

Israel is obviously a heavily vaccinated and boosted country so will be interesting to see if that can slow or stop Omicron.

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64570 on: November 28, 2021, 01:26:44 am »
Even anecdotally I can feel numbers rising. Hearing about more people I know having it recently and numbers where I work definitely gone up but now levelled off. Boosters definitely the way to go.
I think it’s been hitting certain areas and workplaces harder recently than it has before. For most of the pandemic it was the most derived areas that had the highest levels of infection but that flipped around sometime during the summer. It’s now far more prevalent in the workplaces (and schools) that got off lightly last year - probably exactly because they got off lightly last year. Not to say that health care got off lightly, it certainly didn’t, but I’ve noticed recently that some friends that work in places that had pretty much zero infections in the first 12 months of this are suddenly getting hit really hard and they’ve found it really surprising. Until now they knew very few people who had actually had it, recently they know many.

We got many updates last year of which occupations had the highest rates of infection, like nurses, doctors, bus drivers, bouncers, factory workers etc. It would be interesting to see the same data for just 2021 - I’d imagine it’s completely different and the occupations that spent a lot of time home home working in 2020 and then went back to the workplace have been hit hardest this year. And the schools where most parents do those kind of jobs.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #64571 on: November 28, 2021, 02:59:01 am »
Sorry, but I don't quite get your logic here... Of course masks are effective, but yes, only IF you wear one. You protect yourself and others, so naturally everyone (or nearly everyone) has to wear them for them to work. If people don't wear them, that does not take away from masks being an effective means of reducing transmission - but of course they are not if you don't use them, how could they be? Just carrying them around under your chin or hoping that they'll protect everyone if just ten percent wear them is not how this works.
A mask doesn't protect you, it's not a condom. Masks protect others if you have infection, because they stop the droplets from spreading. If people around you are infected and you wear a mask, you have some, but small and probably negligible protection. Your breathing is still a path for the virus to enter your body even through a mask.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64572 on: November 28, 2021, 08:24:44 am »
Wait for the ‘Hamann subbed off in Leverkusen’ variant.

Lockdown only when the El Hadji diouf variant is found
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #64573 on: November 28, 2021, 09:02:02 am »
No that's just how you're interpreting what I said.

The Gov stopping flights from S.Africa and any other country is pointless.
Respectfully disagree. If s Africa had the majority of cases and the rest of the world prevents travel in and out, it will slow the spread of the variant. Hopefully enough to buy time to deal with it effectively.
 Banning all travel is the only other option. But it isn't really an option.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #64574 on: November 28, 2021, 09:03:50 am »
Those who have has a positive lft. How which did it show up? Is it nearly as fast as the control line, or nearer the thirty mins?

Also do they all require throat swabs? The one I've just done didnt seem to .
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #64575 on: November 28, 2021, 09:43:13 am »
Those who have has a positive lft. How which did it show up? Is it nearly as fast as the control line, or nearer the thirty mins?

We’ve only ever had the one positive LFT in our house but it showed up almost instantly. All the negative ones we have left and kept checking for half an hour but feels like if it’s showing as negative early on it will probably stay that way.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64576 on: November 28, 2021, 09:44:21 am »
A mask doesn't protect you, it's not a condom. Masks protect others if you have infection, because they stop the droplets from spreading. If people around you are infected and you wear a mask, you have some, but small and probably negligible protection. Your breathing is still a path for the virus to enter your body even through a mask.

From what I know that is not right at all.

Even a basic cloth mask prevents droplets getting through up to 70% or more and it certainly stops them getting out.

If you wear a decent grade mask it will stop you potentially catching anything and/or then passing it on elsewhere, even if nobody else wears one around you.

The main reason is to protect others but a mask does protect you also.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #64577 on: November 28, 2021, 09:51:27 am »
Not sure if anyone can advise? I have come out of my ten days isolation today but having taken a test its saying I am still positive. Going by that do I just continue isolating until I get a negative test?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64578 on: November 28, 2021, 09:54:32 am »
Not sure if anyone can advise? I have come out of my ten days isolation today but having taken a test its saying I am still positive. Going by that do I just continue isolating until I get a negative test?

You'd be isolating for a few weeks/months. My work says not to test for 3 months after a positive test, because tests can still be positive for that long.

Afaik after 10 days, you are free to go out again. I would assume that if you still have symptoms, it'd be safer to stay in until they have passed, but I don't think the rules say that.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #64579 on: November 28, 2021, 10:11:56 am »
No need for a negative test. 

You can test positive for quite some time still.  I don’t think I need to do a routine lft for 90 days after testing positive.

On a positive note, you’ve got high levels of antibodies just in time for omicron to come along.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64580 on: November 28, 2021, 10:35:22 am »
No need for a negative test. 

You can test positive for quite some time still.  I don’t think I need to do a routine lft for 90 days after testing positive.

On a positive note, you’ve got high levels of antibodies just in time for omicron to come along.

Thanks, someone else has just said the same. When I rang 911 they advised me  just to check your temperature if it's normal than fine. They also confirmed what you said about the testing. Just for once, the timing is good then.  :D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64581 on: November 28, 2021, 10:36:31 am »
You'd be isolating for a few weeks/months. My work says not to test for 3 months after a positive test, because tests can still be positive for that long.

Afaik after 10 days, you are free to go out again. I would assume that if you still have symptoms, it'd be safer to stay in until they have passed, but I don't think the rules say that.

Thanks, temp is normal I feel pretty good now.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64582 on: November 28, 2021, 10:56:31 am »
From what I know that is not right at all.

Even a basic cloth mask prevents droplets getting through up to 70% or more and it certainly stops them getting out.

If you wear a decent grade mask it will stop you potentially catching anything and/or then passing it on elsewhere, even if nobody else wears one around you.

The main reason is to protect others but a mask does protect you also.

What are the decent grade masks? Those n95 ones?

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #64583 on: November 28, 2021, 11:03:50 am »

Showed 2 line within seconds, the one's we had you just stick them up your hooter.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64584 on: November 28, 2021, 11:38:43 am »
What are the decent grade masks? Those n95 ones?

Yes, the 95 means that they are 95% effective at filtering stuff out. They are respirators rather than just a mask. You can also use FFP2

Don't get the ones with the valve that opens when you breathe out though
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 11:41:45 am by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64585 on: November 28, 2021, 11:48:32 am »
Yes, the 95 means that they are 95% effective at filtering stuff out. They are respirators rather than just a mask. You can also use FFP2

Are there any reusable versions?

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64586 on: November 28, 2021, 12:00:11 pm »
Yeah as Rob says, I think the FFP2/3 etc are the European class of masks and it is pretty much the same as n95. FFP3 is equivalent pf N99 but these are more uncomfortable.

Are there any reusable versions?

Wearing of a 'surgical' style mask more than once is always not recommended, but as long as you be careful with it they can be used a few times if needed.

You can get higher grade FFP2 equivalent ones also that can be washed and reused a lot. These are about a tenner each.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64587 on: November 28, 2021, 12:09:02 pm »

To be precise,  N95 is 95% at 0.3 micron particle size.  This is the size that is hardest to filter as determined by research,  lab work.  An N95 will be close to 100 percent at filtering particles sized 1 micron and above. A virus of course is smaller than 0.3 micron.

The main issue is the seal,  if you're using filter material of this grade and above for hours at a time,  you're breathing through the gaps around the filter.  If used properly,  sealed completely,  around 30 minutes onwards you'll start feeling suffocated.  You'll pass out if you attempt a sprint.  This grade and above needs mechanical ventilation to be used for hours at a time.

People mostly aren't this precise,  they get the highest grade and mostly breathe through the gaps.  Pretty much all the Hvac guys,  engineers I know just put on a cheap china made buy 50 for a few bucks disposable where the law requires it.  Not saying about its effectiveness or otherwise,  but the engineering is clear cut.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64588 on: November 28, 2021, 12:11:03 pm »
You can't reuse higher grade filter material. The act of washing the fibers will damage them enough to render them useless at the required filtration efficiency.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64589 on: November 28, 2021, 12:15:33 pm »
Thanks. Ive generally been working in a store during the pandemic and the level of mask wearing is down to very minimal. I probably need a mask not just to keep everyone else safe but myself.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #64590 on: November 28, 2021, 12:35:53 pm »
So roughly 17 million boosters have been given out. Early signs indicate that the new variant is more transmissible and the current vaccines may not be as effective against it.  Pharmaceutical companies have said if that is the case then they can tweak a vaccine to be rolled in roughly 100 days. Kinda worrying if the current vaccines aren’t as effective because so many vulnerable people have had their boosters, how long would they have to them wait for another tweaked booster?

You’ve now got Javid asking/telling the JVCI to extend the booster program to younger people and reduce the gap between the second dose and booster jab. Not sure this man knows what he’s doing, leave it to the JCVI to come up with these recommendations.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64591 on: November 28, 2021, 01:12:12 pm »
https://twitter.com/ballouxfrancois/status/1464913368201015297?s=21

Good thread here on Omicron variant by a Professor at UCL which is well worth a read. This bit in particular is fascinating:

As a side comment: If the "highly optimistic scenario" of the omicron variant preferentially causing infection of the upper airways (and hence lead to milder symptoms) were at least in part true, this could have some fairly extraordinary implications.

It may imply that warnings about vaccines leading to new variants, in particular in populations with a mix of immunity from vaccines and infections, were right, except that vaccination, even at lowish rates, could have contributed to the evolution of a milder variant

It may further imply that the inability of current vaccines to induce strong humoral immunity may have in effect been - epidemiological speaking - a strength rather than a weakness

As with any new variant, the next few weeks will be key as we begin to stress test early anecdotal data with actual epidemiological data from the population, with regards to both transmissibility and severity of symptoms. Fingers crossed as if it’s more transmissible but causes less severe symptoms than Delta, this could potentially take over as the dominant strain.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #64592 on: November 28, 2021, 01:46:34 pm »

Good thread here on Omicron variant by a Professor at UCL which is well worth a read. This bit in particular is fascinating:

As with any new variant, the next few weeks will be key as we begin to stress test early anecdotal data with actual epidemiological data from the population, with regards to both transmissibility and severity of symptoms. Fingers crossed as if it’s more transmissible but causes less severe symptoms than Delta, this could potentially take over as the dominant strain.

That's the sensible approach. It won't stop the scare headlines in the Mail and the Express about the cancellation of Xmas and how Boris is working hard to save Xmas.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64593 on: November 28, 2021, 01:53:11 pm »
That's the sensible approach. It won't stop the scare headlines in the Mail and the Express this thread.

Fixed that for you  ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 01:58:32 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #64594 on: November 28, 2021, 02:20:21 pm »

Definitely worth a read as there are some encouraging signs despite the doom and gloom over the new variant.

One of the reply’s from a doctor was this

A year ago I tweeted that what we really need is a highly transmissible variant that causes mild disease to become dominant and then endemic. Everyone will be exposed and in future COVID will be a sniffle for the vast majority who survive.  Omicron could be that (or not)

Fingers crossed!!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64595 on: November 28, 2021, 02:30:21 pm »
Definitely worth a read as there are some encouraging signs despite the doom and gloom over the new variant.

One of the reply’s from a doctor was this

A year ago I tweeted that what we really need is a highly transmissible variant that causes mild disease to become dominant and then endemic. Everyone will be exposed and in future COVID will be a sniffle for the vast majority who survive.  Omicron could be that (or not)

Fingers crossed!!
There aren’t encouraging signs.

This is just wishful thinking.

We know nearly nothing about omicron, good or bad.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #64596 on: November 28, 2021, 02:38:01 pm »
Thanks, temp is normal I feel pretty good now.

Good stuff, glad you’ve come through, J…
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #64597 on: November 28, 2021, 02:40:33 pm »
There aren’t encouraging signs.

This is just wishful thinking.

We know nearly nothing about omicron, good or bad.

There’s defo too many daily mail readers in here  ;D

If we're a bit lucky, its ability to (re-)infect immunised hosts does reduce its replication rate, and hence would be expected to cause on average less severe symptoms, send fewer people into hospital and reduce fatality rates if it spread.

I’ll rephrase what I said then. There’s no hope, covid is here for good, things will never get better……

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64598 on: November 28, 2021, 03:19:27 pm »
So do we know for sure that Omicron has better immunization escape, and if so by how much?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64599 on: November 28, 2021, 03:24:51 pm »
So do we know for sure that Omicron has better immunization escape, and if so by how much?
We have a suggestion it might, but nothing firm.  It’s far far too early to know
W