Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 281605 times)

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #1920 on: September 21, 2021, 07:51:02 pm »
Cheers for that Buck Pete. I’ll have to watch that later. There’s some good national geographic docs on Disney plus - ‘facing…’ about people coming up against pretty bad people - one of them is Suge Knight too

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1921 on: September 21, 2021, 08:37:25 pm »
Will give that a watch Pete, nice one!

I remember a few years ago on Reddit I had a good conversation with Greg Kading who worked on the task force investigating both murders. He believes it was Orlando Anderson that killed 2Pac and a gangster called Poochie killed Biggie Smalls, Orlando being a Crip, Poochie being a Blood. Apparently there was absolute chaos the days after both murders between the Crips and Bloods. Greg didn’t seem to think LAPD had any involvement in Biggies murder.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1922 on: September 22, 2021, 12:23:25 am »
Will give that a watch Pete, nice one!

I remember a few years ago on Reddit I had a good conversation with Greg Kading who worked on the task force investigating both murders. He believes it was Orlando Anderson that killed 2Pac and a gangster called Poochie killed Biggie Smalls, Orlando being a Crip, Poochie being a Blood. Apparently there was absolute chaos the days after both murders between the Crips and Bloods. Greg didn’t seem to think LAPD had any involvement in Biggies murder.

Yeah, I don't think there's any question that Orlando Anderson did for 2Pac.

As for Biggie...Yes, Nick Broomfield acknowledges that its widely accepted that Greg Kading's version of events is what went down and cops were not involved.   But former LAPD detective Kading would say that wouldn't he?

After watching this documentary and getting stone cold proof that Suge had at least 3 LAPD cops working on his security team, people might feel different.  Maybe not. :)

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1923 on: September 22, 2021, 04:24:29 am »
I watched "Shirkers" last night on Netflix. It turned out to be way better than I was expecting. A couple of aspiring Singaporean film students create an independent film under the guidance of their older, charismatic film guru. All is not what it appears to be and the film evolves into a weird mystery. The film seems lighthearted to begin with and becomes intensely personal by the end.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1924 on: September 22, 2021, 06:42:08 am »
Yeah, I don't think there's any question that Orlando Anderson did for 2Pac.

As for Biggie...Yes, Nick Broomfield acknowledges that its widely accepted that Greg Kading's version of events is what went down and cops were not involved.   But former LAPD detective Kading would say that wouldn't he?

After watching this documentary and getting stone cold proof that Suge had at least 3 LAPD cops working on his security team, people might feel different.  Maybe not. :)

I thought that myself Pete but then on the other hand he has also slated the LAPD for not doing enough to find his killer. Interesting stuff though Pete and I think we can agree both Puff Daddy and Suge Knight played a huge part in the murders.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #1925 on: September 22, 2021, 09:50:32 am »
Turning Point: 911 and the war on terror. 5 parter on Netflix. Fascinating watch.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1926 on: September 22, 2021, 09:54:26 am »
I thought that myself Pete but then on the other hand he has also slated the LAPD for not doing enough to find his killer. Interesting stuff though Pete and I think we can agree both Puff Daddy and Suge Knight played a huge part in the murders.

In this doc it's suggested Suge ordered the biggie hit from Jail.

He really didn't seem like a nice bloke at all.  Surrounded himself with gangbangers fresh out of the penitentiary.

Yep. I agree,  schoolboy name calling from all concerned that escalated to tit for tat murders

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1927 on: September 22, 2021, 02:03:59 pm »
Anyone catch Nick Broomfield's latest docu on BBC2 last night?

Last Man Standing: Suge Knight and the Murders of Biggie and Tupac (2021)

Was really good.  Doesn't really expand too much on what we already know but Broomfield is really pushing the agenda that Biggie's murder simply could not have happened without the co-operation of the LAPD.

Some good interviews with Death Row records staff and Blood and Crip heavyweights who operated security for the East/West rivals at the time.

You reap what you sow living the Gangster lifestyle but both murders could have been avoided.  Petty shit that escalated quickly.

Well worth a watch on iPlayer.

Cheers Pete, will watch this.  There's a limited series drama about this called Unsolved on Netflix - any good for those that have watched?

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1928 on: September 22, 2021, 02:05:07 pm »
Turning Point: 911 and the war on terror. 5 parter on Netflix. Fascinating watch.

As was the 6 part series on National Geographic which just focused on the single day.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #1929 on: September 24, 2021, 11:29:51 am »
Watched a couple over the last few days.

The Schumacher one on Netflix was quite good but nothing ground breaking, I think the interviews with his wife seem new and offer some insight on what life was like, but not a lot in terms of how things are now.

Also one on the bbc iplayer about Ken Buchanan was quite interesting if you’re into boxing
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1930 on: September 24, 2021, 12:13:22 pm »
Also one on the bbc iplayer about Ken Buchanan was quite interesting if you’re into boxing

Nice one. Will give this a whirl.

Buchanan v Duran is one of my favourite fights ever if somewhat controversial.  Ken, in his iconic Tartan shorts mixing it up with the great Duran.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1931 on: September 24, 2021, 12:15:45 pm »
Nice one. Will give this a whirl.

Buchanan v Duran is one of my favourite fights ever if somewhat controversial.  Ken, in his iconic Tartan shorts mixing it up with the great Duran.

Yep was a ridiculous stoppage, this doc loosely suggests the ref may have been influenced by the mob

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1932 on: September 25, 2021, 01:21:19 am »
Drew: The man behind the poster.

Fantastic documentary about Drew Struzan, one of my all time artistic heroes.

Even if you have never heard of him, you all know his work. Greatest movie poster artist ever. Star Wars, ET, Indiana Jones, Blade Runner, Back to the future - his body of work is unbelievable.

His skill is unmatched, and he’s such a nice, laid back man, with a fascinating back story.

Best two hours of telly I’ve seen in ages.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #1933 on: September 25, 2021, 08:20:20 am »
The Christy Martin episode of Untold was quite amazing. I recall her as a bit of a boxing oddity many moons ago. No idea about the chaos and abuse. Glad she came through her ordeal. Untold is a really well made series.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1934 on: October 11, 2021, 03:59:44 pm »
Bad Sport - Like the Untold series and largely enjoyed.  The horse jumping one one i'd never heard of and to be fair never wished i had.

House of Secrets - 11 family members dead in Delhi - Quite enjoyed this one (a bit different given the crime scene)- spotlight on the sensational media

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1935 on: November 4, 2021, 11:28:12 am »
That One Word: Feyenoord.

One of the better football documentaries I've seen. Follows Feyenoord through last year and how they go through a COVID affected season. Up and down season and lots of friction between players, manager and management. On Disney+.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #1936 on: November 8, 2021, 06:54:25 pm »
The Blob on BBC.

A single cell organism that shows signs of memory, learning and intelligence.

Every day is school day and all that. Really find this kind of stuff absolutely fascinating. Bit like watching bee hives and ant colonies.

The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1937 on: November 8, 2021, 07:26:52 pm »
The Blob on BBC.

Every day is school day and all that. Really find this kind of stuff absolutely fascinating. Bit like watching bee hives and ant colonies.

I thought you'd been watching Boris on Newsnight.

But then I saw the bit about displaying intelligence....

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #1938 on: December 6, 2021, 03:14:23 pm »
Watched ‘The Rescue’ on Disney+ (National Geographic) yesterday which is about the rescue of the boys football team in 2018 who got trapped in a cave system in Thailand

Amazing!  Obviously I was very aware of this at the time as it was all over the news, but honestly I had no idea just how challenging this was and how incredible and brave the rescuers were. Would highly recommend this. It’s quite a tense watch and quite emotional. They really did pull off mission impossible. Some real standout heroes but also a fantastic international effort from many people. Watch it if you get a chance
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1939 on: December 6, 2021, 11:05:22 pm »
'Universe' with Brian Cox on BBC iPlayer.

The sheer scale and numbers involved are mind blowing

Two TRILLION galaxies!

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1940 on: December 6, 2021, 11:09:16 pm »
'Universe' with Brian Cox on BBC iPlayer.

The sheer scale and numbers involved are mind blowing

Two TRILLION galaxies!

I watched the first episode of that and really enjoyed it, need to find time to watch the rest of it now.  Another good documentary on BBC4, about castles in Bavaria some absolute stunning buildings and landscapes. I recommend that.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1941 on: December 7, 2021, 09:04:51 am »
The Blob on BBC.

I loved the one with Steve McQueen

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1942 on: December 9, 2021, 11:20:02 pm »
Watched the Dettori documentary on Sky this evening. Interesting watch

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1943 on: December 10, 2021, 06:54:41 am »
Drew: The man behind the poster.

Fantastic documentary about Drew Struzan, one of my all time artistic heroes.

Even if you have never heard of him, you all know his work. Greatest movie poster artist ever. Star Wars, ET, Indiana Jones, Blade Runner, Back to the future - his body of work is unbelievable.

His skill is unmatched, and he’s such a nice, laid back man, with a fascinating back story.

Best two hours of telly I’ve seen in ages.

Thanks so much for this recommendation. I’ve watched the first five minutes and totally enthralled.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1944 on: December 10, 2021, 01:19:28 pm »
Just being rewatching Simon Reeve documentaries. Such a brilliant travel presenter giving great insight to so many countries, and doesn't gloss over the distressing stuff but his shows always maintain that level of empathy. His enthusiasm for all subjects feel genuinely sincere too.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1945 on: December 11, 2021, 01:46:23 pm »
Just being rewatching Simon Reeve documentaries. Such a brilliant travel presenter giving great insight to so many countries, and doesn't gloss over the distressing stuff but his shows always maintain that level of empathy. His enthusiasm for all subjects feel genuinely sincere too.

Yeah, I think he's brilliant at that stuff. The Russia series is excellent.

Just watched 14 Peaks on Netflix. The story of a Nepalese Gurkha, who became the first Gurkha to join UK special forces, who decided he wanted to climb all the world's 8000m+ peaks in less than a year. The previous fastest time of doing it was 7 years. Can't decide if he's mad inspirational or a bit of an idiot for taking some of the risks he took. I enjoyed the documentary.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #1946 on: December 11, 2021, 01:53:33 pm »

Just watched 14 Peaks on Netflix. The story of a Nepalese Gurkha, who became the first Gurkha to join UK special forces, who decided he wanted to climb all the world's 8000m+ peaks in less than a year. The previous fastest time of doing it was 7 years. Can't decide if he's mad inspirational or a bit of an idiot for taking some of the risks he took. I enjoyed the documentary.

Ive just watched that.. Really enjoyed it.  I'm going for mad inspirational  ;D
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1947 on: December 11, 2021, 02:01:18 pm »
Ive just watched that.. Really enjoyed it.  I'm going for mad inspirational  ;D

Yeah, I was deffo on the mad inspirational side but then the bit on K2... yikes!! I suppose all the people up there at base camp are all a bit mad in the first place ;D.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1948 on: December 11, 2021, 09:56:00 pm »
Thanks so much for this recommendation. I’ve watched the first five minutes and totally enthralled.

Seconded. Just finished it - and I loved it. Most because of the man and his works, but I found the documentary to be really well put together. Editing and pacing are spot on.

Recommended.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #1949 on: December 12, 2021, 09:01:30 pm »

Loved this, it was fabulous, also loved how he was trying to put spotlight on the sherpas. Another note to that documentary, he completed the first ever winter climb of K2 earlier this year with the same group!
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1950 on: December 19, 2021, 12:04:23 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xWVA6TeUKYU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xWVA6TeUKYU</a>

50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1951 on: January 10, 2022, 07:42:29 pm »
Watched "Searching for Sugarman" again at the weekend.

Absolutely brilliant story, engagingly told, with a fantastic and surprising outcome at the end.

For those that dont know it, this is from Wiki:

Searching for Sugar Man is a 2012 documentary film about a South African cultural phenomenon, directed and written by Malik Bendjelloul, which details the efforts in the late 1990s of two Cape Town fans, Stephen "Sugar" Segerman and Craig Bartholomew Strydom, to find out whether the rumoured death of American musician Sixto Rodriguez was true and, if not, to discover what had become of him. Rodriguez's music, which had never achieved success in the United States, had become very popular in South Africa although little was known about him in that country.

Well worth a watch, its boss.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #1952 on: January 10, 2022, 09:32:59 pm »
It really is a good watch...  8)

Just watched 'The Kings'.. 4 part docu on discovey +

A four-part series featuring four champions who ushered in a boxing renaissance.
The series showcases the dominance of Roberto Duran, Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns and Sugar Ray Leonard and their battles in and out of the ring.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14442878/
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1953 on: January 11, 2022, 02:55:20 pm »

Absolutely brilliant story, engagingly told, with a fantastic and surprising outcome at the end.

For those that dont know it, this is from Wiki:

Searching for Sugar Man is a 2012 documentary film about a South African cultural phenomenon, directed and written by Malik Bendjelloul, which details the efforts in the late 1990s of two Cape Town fans, Stephen "Sugar" Segerman and Craig Bartholomew Strydom, to find out whether the rumoured death of American musician Sixto Rodriguez was true and, if not, to discover what had become of him. Rodriguez's music, which had never achieved success in the United States, had become very popular in South Africa although little was known about him in that country.

agree, great doc

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1954 on: January 11, 2022, 08:32:22 pm »
Watched ‘The Rescue’ on Disney+ (National Geographic) yesterday which is about the rescue of the boys football team in 2018 who got trapped in a cave system in Thailand

Amazing!  Obviously I was very aware of this at the time as it was all over the news, but honestly I had no idea just how challenging this was and how incredible and brave the rescuers were. Would highly recommend this. It’s quite a tense watch and quite emotional. They really did pull off mission impossible. Some real standout heroes but also a fantastic international effort from many people. Watch it if you get a chance

Yeah, watched this today, it's fantastic.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1955 on: January 13, 2022, 08:24:28 am »
Cruel Sea: The Penlee Lifeboat Disaster

BBC4

One of the best TV documentaries I've ever seen.

An incredibly moving story of remarkable bravery and unthinkable tragedy..

On the iPlayer for the next month. Highly recommended

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00794gz

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1956 on: January 19, 2022, 01:59:35 pm »
14 Peaks.     Netflix

Wow, ex ghurka and sbs Niim climbs 14peaks over 8000m in 7months
Best anyone has achieved is 7years to do them all. Obviously a lot is based in planning and preparation but this man is a machine. Just unbelievable

It's really good, the book is better he's an absolute freak though
There's one thing they missed out when they are going up the mountains the average man takes something like 5 steps per breath, the sherpas take about 20 steps per breath he takes something mad like 50

Incredible camera work as well
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 02:25:31 pm by nuts100 »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1957 on: January 19, 2022, 02:06:55 pm »
Cruel Sea: The Penlee Lifeboat Disaster

BBC4

One of the best TV documentaries I've ever seen.

An incredibly moving story of remarkable bravery and unthinkable tragedy..

On the iPlayer for the next month. Highly recommended

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00794gz

I remember that happening and will give the documentary a watch.

There's a memorial on the sea front at Lytham St Annes to the twenty seven lifeboat crew who lost their lives attempting a rescue.
https://rnli.org/about-us/our-history/timeline/1886-southport-and-st-annes-lifeboats-disaster

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1958 on: January 24, 2022, 07:56:24 pm »
Seconded. Just finished it - and I loved it. Most because of the man and his works, but I found the documentary to be really well put together. Editing and pacing are spot on.

Recommended.

Sorry, dont come in here much, so only just seen this. Glad you both enjoyed it - told you it was good!

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #1959 on: January 24, 2022, 11:42:13 pm »
What are the best NFL documentaries? Never watched one, but seen plenty of NFL films.