Author Topic: Legendary Teams Draft (1990-2020) - Sign-Up/Discussion Thread  (Read 12208 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Legendary Teams Draft (1990-2020) - Sign-Up/Discussion Thread
« Reply #200 on: September 1, 2020, 01:15:56 pm »
Fatty do i have to play Ramos at Centre Back? The positions aren't locked are they?  ???

The formation is locked and you have to replace the players you have with players that play the same position.  So if you want to replace Ramos with someone who isn't a centre back, that's up to you, but then you'll end up with two right backs.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: September 1, 2020, 01:18:50 pm »
Djozer owes us a pick, time elapsed, so I made a pick, and pmed Bobby.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #202 on: September 1, 2020, 01:20:10 pm »

Ta, I PM'd Djozer a reminder.  He can pick when he's back on.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #203 on: September 1, 2020, 01:52:13 pm »
Jesus, a few of my possibles have taken a battering in the last few picks.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #204 on: September 1, 2020, 02:06:53 pm »

DeFacto pleases you bastards?  Seems like an odd name :)
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: September 1, 2020, 02:13:56 pm »
DeFacto pleases you bastards?  Seems like an odd name :)

Mods are lacking quality creativity as of late  ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 1, 2020, 02:42:38 pm »
Viva and Nick are up....
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: September 1, 2020, 02:51:24 pm »
Stam's ineligible, he was in the initial two dozen.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: September 1, 2020, 02:52:32 pm »
Sorry I was a bit late.

I have to be honest, I'm struggling with a few of these picks. The team I've been chosen is one I never really had any interest in watching because of their pwn special brand of antifootball, so a lot of the players I don't know that much about and youtube scouring only goes so far when trying to work out what players were actually like and their exact attributes. Still, I needed a bald, physical centre half, and Stam is certainly that. I've probably fucked up a few of these picks due to general footballing ignorance, but oh well.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 1, 2020, 02:52:54 pm »
Stam's ineligible, he was in the initial two dozen.
Ah bollocks.

Changed it to Campbell. Not an exact analogue, but has some of the attributes (I think) the centre half I'm replacing had. Bald, physical, stuff like that.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2020, 02:56:51 pm by Djozer »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #210 on: September 1, 2020, 03:36:22 pm »
Sorry I'm late, guys. I've pm'd Nick
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: September 1, 2020, 05:24:28 pm »
Flash not around, back to Luis.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #212 on: September 1, 2020, 06:07:32 pm »
Alaba would have fitted my style of play nicely. Ah well.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #213 on: September 1, 2020, 06:16:18 pm »
I think I’m intending to play Lahm as a left back. Here is the write up for the left back he’ll be replacing:

“ Despite being naturally right-footed, he was capable of playing with either foot, and he usually preferred to play on the left side of the pitch. In this role, he was known for his pace, calm composure, reading of the game, and stamina, as well as his ability to chase and close down opponents, win back the ball with his tackles, and subsequently carry it up the flank, play exchanges with teammates, get forward, and deliver crosses into the area, courtesy of his distribution and ability to make attacking runs, which enabled him to cover the flank effectively. He was also capable of playing as a central or defensive midfielder, and was even used as a centre-back on occasion, due to his consistency, awareness, and man-marking ability”

Is that fair? If you object I’ll just play him at Right Back as he would obviously do a job there too but based on the above was looking for a right footer with experience at playing LB for a prolonged spell.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #214 on: September 1, 2020, 06:24:49 pm »
I think I’m intending to play Lahm as a left back. Here is the write up for the left back he’ll be replacing:

“ Despite being naturally right-footed, he was capable of playing with either foot, and he usually preferred to play on the left side of the pitch. In this role, he was known for his pace, calm composure, reading of the game, and stamina, as well as his ability to chase and close down opponents, win back the ball with his tackles, and subsequently carry it up the flank, play exchanges with teammates, get forward, and deliver crosses into the area, courtesy of his distribution and ability to make attacking runs, which enabled him to cover the flank effectively. He was also capable of playing as a central or defensive midfielder, and was even used as a centre-back on occasion, due to his consistency, awareness, and man-marking ability”

Is that fair? If you object I’ll just play him at Right Back as he would obviously do a job there too but based on the above was looking for a right footer with experience at playing LB for a prolonged spell.

You're not going to get consensus, mate and the hyena's will be all over you when we get to the sharp end, whatever You've convinced me, Nicky me boy. You stick to your guns
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #215 on: September 1, 2020, 06:30:07 pm »

Good to see someone making an effort to think their picks through. Lahm is obviously in a whole different stratosphere to who he's replacing, but the thinking above is sound IMO.

Also liked the Dunga pick, by the way.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 1, 2020, 06:31:41 pm »
Hey, I reject the notion I'm not thinking about my picks.  >:(

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #217 on: September 1, 2020, 06:43:38 pm »
Lahm is obviously in a whole different stratosphere to who he's replacing, but the thinking above is sound IMO.

You take that back!

And you know why I'm saying this  ;)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #218 on: September 1, 2020, 07:41:13 pm »
You take that back!

And you know why I'm saying this  ;)

Draft legend this guy. Safest 11th round LB in the biz.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #219 on: September 1, 2020, 08:02:12 pm »

Yeah I think that’s exactly the point of the draft *cough Samie*

I’m trying to think mine through but I’m trying to replace pretty much all time greats and my managers managed pretty much every other all time great since the 90s
« Last Edit: September 1, 2020, 08:05:08 pm by fucking appalled »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 1, 2020, 08:07:36 pm »
Apologies, was stuck in a meeting.

PM'ed Jozer

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 1, 2020, 08:17:18 pm »
Yeah I think that’s exactly the point of the draft *cough Samie*

I’m trying to think mine through but I’m trying to replace pretty much all time greats and my managers managed pretty much every other all time great since the 90s

I am thinking about my picks. Your bias against me is showing Lobo.   ;D

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: September 1, 2020, 08:27:59 pm »
Whatever the question is, the answer is never Gareth Bale
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 1, 2020, 08:35:58 pm »
Whatever the question is, the answer is never Gareth Bale

Bale was a top player, Golf antics aside. Let's not pretend he didn't win the EC single handedly only 2 years ago, and prior to that played at a top level consistently for a number of years.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #224 on: September 1, 2020, 08:38:21 pm »
Yeah, Bale has wrecked his reputation on the last couple of years, but he was a top player for a good couple of years. Although maybe a bit overrated.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: September 1, 2020, 08:39:36 pm »
Yeah, Bale has wrecked his reputation on the last couple of years, but he was a top player for a good couple of years.

105 goals in 250 appearances for Real as well.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #226 on: September 1, 2020, 08:43:37 pm »
105 goals in 250 appearances for Real as well.

Farmer's league.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: September 1, 2020, 09:05:48 pm »
Farmer's league.

Aye apparently that' the case

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 1, 2020, 11:41:25 pm »
Claus - had a request to move this Sunday's Guillotine draft from 7pm BST to 2:30pm BST (for me that 9:30am on Sunday).  Does this work for you? 
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: September 2, 2020, 12:35:20 am »
Claus - had a request to move this Sunday's Guillotine draft from 7pm BST to 2:30pm BST (for me that 9:30am on Sunday).  Does this work for you?

230 is 730 my time!

Sure, I'm picking first right?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: September 2, 2020, 01:48:30 am »
230 is 730 my time!

Sure, I'm picking first right?

Haha! I'll see what I can do.  This was a Stoa based request... 

In terms of this draft, I sent my picks to tubby - so have Lobo send his PM to Tubbs when he is ready and make sure Vish gets one :)
« Last Edit: September 2, 2020, 02:44:14 am by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #231 on: September 2, 2020, 09:18:42 am »
PM'd Vish.

Some of these picks are starting to look a bit mad when compared to who they're replacing.  So... I am going to propose an additional round (or two) at the end of the picks, where drafters can opt to drop one of their picks back into the drafting pool and replace them with a new pick (I'll rehash the draft order for it).

This will give you the opportunity to replace anyone you think might not actually be a like-for-like replacement.  And there are a few of those knocking about.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #232 on: September 2, 2020, 09:23:26 am »
PM'd Vish.

Some of these picks are starting to look a bit mad when compared to who they're replacing.  So... I am going to propose an additional round (or two) at the end of the picks, where drafters can opt to drop one of their picks back into the drafting pool and replace them with a new pick (I'll rehash the draft order for it).

This will give you the opportunity to replace anyone you think might not actually be a like-for-like replacement.  And there are a few of those knocking about.

I vote no additional rounds, and publicly shaming anyone who's ignored the rules ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 2, 2020, 09:33:43 am »
Let me know when it's Claus turn.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #234 on: September 2, 2020, 09:34:26 am »
I vote no additional rounds, and publicly shaming anyone who's ignored the rules ;D

I think possibly in hindsight the hidden element of the draft has hurt the ability for people to see the mistakes they might have been making and react to it. There have been some absolutely terrible picks in all honesty, which deserved to be derided when they were made but haven't been because no fucker other than themselves really knows who they're replacing. Also might have helped as people could have defended their picks - since sometimes they will see something others don't. I think on this note, it would be really really good if at the end everyone wrote a short sentence or two on each of their picks explaining why they chose the guy they did and how their playing styles match.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: September 2, 2020, 09:35:29 am »
Apart from moi.  Everyone knows who I'm replacing and the team I have.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: September 2, 2020, 09:41:06 am »
I think possibly in hindsight the hidden element of the draft has hurt the ability for people to see the mistakes they might have been making and react to it. There have been some absolutely terrible picks in all honesty, which deserved to be derided when they were made but haven't been because no fucker other than themselves really knows who they're replacing. Also might have helped as people could have defended their picks - since sometimes they will see something others don't. I think on this note, it would be really really good if at the end everyone wrote a short sentence or two on each of their picks explaining why they chose the guy they did and how their playing styles match.
I assumed we would be anyway, but it's difficult to know how accurate or otherwise the picks are because we don't know which teams everyone else has got (though you could probably work out the teams going by the personnel at the top). Having said that, we have to take into account that it's not always easy finding players who replicate what you're replacing, especially if someone else has got in first. There's a reason these players were world class!

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #237 on: September 2, 2020, 09:47:13 am »

It really depends on how bad the picks are, the rest of us can't judge that at this point! If people have made picks that are generally in line with the draft rules, but they've since thought of a player that would be an even better fit, then it'd be cool if we got the chance to swap our pick. But if some fuckers are just blatantly disregarding the rules then I'm looking forward to deriding their picks when everything's revealed and I don't think they should get the chance to swap them out ;D ;D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #238 on: September 2, 2020, 09:50:51 am »
I assumed we would be anyway, but it's difficult to know how accurate or otherwise the picks are because we don't know which teams everyone else has got (though you could probably work out the teams going by the personnel at the top). Having said that, we have to take into account that it's not always easy finding players who replicate what you're replacing, especially if someone else has got in first. There's a reason these players were world class!

Yes, that's the problem really. I liked the idea of the secret element, but it hasn't quite worked IMO. When I refer to horrible picks, I'm mostly talking about people shoehorning in superstars just because they can. I would much rather see people find a counterpart player who was not quite as good as who he's replacing, but matches their style or position, than one who was just an all round excellent player. That also touches on one of the problems with picking superstars. Players like Ronaldo and VVD (both picked) are/were pretty much good at everything, so yeah they probably overlap with who they're replacing but I'm not sure they really fit the spirit of the draft.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: September 2, 2020, 09:55:20 am »
I think there is a couple of issues getting glossed over here also. 

1. How well does the person picking know the tactics of the manager assigned?
It’s possible to pick a player with a skill set that replaces those skills but looks different.

2. Is it a like for like selection or a clear upgrade pick?
My keeper for instance is a clear upgrade pick with not much resemblance to the original. But he’s a better keeper - his national team coach thinks so, and most around the game. Obvious upgrades are a stated part of the rules of this draft as far as I’ve understood it.

3. By fixing the teams and order of drafting, like in every draft, the opportunity cost is unknown until the end - which means some picks will be difficult to understand or justify. For example, I chose Lucio because he was a ball playing defender with similar size and ability to knock an occasional one in from time to time.  Is he the perfect match after 75 picks?  Not a chance.   I must say this happens a lot in the real world - ask Edwards - we target Brandt and get Salah.  We target one player like the Norwich kid and get Tsimikas...

Sometimes the there are good reasons for picks not lining up or reasons that extend the like for like nature. Surely this should be understood by round 5?

This game should not be about - “see if you can guess the guy I’m thinking of who should really replace X player”.   It should start with the player names and end with a well written justification for why - integrating the managers philosophy, player attributes and any deviations like an upgrade at any position.

One way to fix this is to only allow 1 or 2 upgrade picks in the side
« Last Edit: September 2, 2020, 10:08:00 am by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN: