Author Topic: The Men in Suits behind the scenes  (Read 542599 times)

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Men in Suits behind the scenes
« Reply #5880 on: March 24, 2024, 09:32:38 pm »
Plenty of time to sign him up but we really can't afford to let players go into there final year of contract.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #5881 on: March 24, 2024, 09:37:03 pm »
Sorry to have derailed the thread, I think it sits within here though. We’ve just appointed a new SD and FCEO, the two biggest tasks they’re facing is appointing a new manager and sorting the situation of three of our most important players. Can take it to the relevant player threads if there’s no interest in discussing it here, it sits under strategy for me like.

It hasn't derailed the thread. After the recruitment of a new manager the next major items for the men in suits will be the contract situations of the Salah, Trent and VVD, so without a doubt this is the correct place to discuss this.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5882 on: March 25, 2024, 10:25:52 am »
Sorry to have derailed the thread, I think it sits within here though. We’ve just appointed a new SD and FCEO, the two biggest tasks they’re facing is appointing a new manager and sorting the situation of three of our most important players. Can take it to the relevant player threads if there’s no interest in discussing it here, it sits under strategy for me like.

I think strategy is the key phrase here. With Edwards now becoming one of the senior suits at the club it will be interesting to see what direction our transfer strategy takes. We had the initial transfer strategy when we were playing catch-up in terms of both the standard of the playing squad and revenues.  It made perfect sense to have an analytics-based recruitment policy that improved the squad and also increased revenues through player sales.

Once we caught up though and became the best team on the planet with huge revenues. That understandably needed to change. The manager and the coaching team had more of a say. Unfortunately because of COVID combined with less need to turn players over we ended up in a situation in which there was a lack of investment in the playing squad leading to a squad that aged and became less competitive.

Hopefully, now we can have the best of both worlds. We are highly competitive again, have a very good squad with a crop of young talent and only a few areas of concern. Hopefully, we can begin a program of refreshing the squad. That means we constantly refresh and rarely have to rebuild. For me that should be what the suits are looking to do.

A strategy that allows us to be competitive season in season out.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5883 on: March 25, 2024, 12:58:19 pm »
I think we’ll continue as has been the case before. Analytics in America was often used to find value. Some numbers were initially undervalued, then as things evolved those things would become overvalued and the evolution would lead to trying to find value in other areas.

You could argue that initially signing players from within the premier league/PL experienced at a good age was an undervalued area. We managed to get Mane, Gini, Mo and Robbo all for great value and exploited that. Then the English sides got richer and it’s much more challenging to find that same sort of value unless a player has a clause like Mac Allister. So we then look to other markets to find value and that’s led us to Netherlands, Portugal and Germany for some of our most recent large outlays. All the while along we’ve been exploiting the market of players around the age of 16 to fill our academy with talented lads for minimal fees. They’re more of an unknown, but any risk on potential is mitigated by how little they’ve cost. It now looks like FSG will be trying to compliment what we’re doing here with a second club abroad. It’s hard to see that as anything other than a project to develop talent for the transfer market/parent club.

I can’t see heaps changing from an approach perspective, I can’t see us suddenly taking greater risks or paying way above our valuation like Chelsea have. I think they’ll look to have a squad of around 20 senior players max with the rest being made up of academy players the coaching staff think can contribute. I just hope that within that 20 we don’t enter seasons where absolute certs for the treatment table are factored in and relied upon like in the past. Decisions on the likes of Ox and Keita were far too optimistic, adding a player like Thiago to that list was silly really even if your glass is three quarters full.

The great thing with the emergence of young talent is we might be able to aim for “transformers” in the key windows as the younger players should add proper depth to the squad, enabling us to invest the majority of our budget into potentially elite players.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5884 on: March 25, 2024, 02:07:28 pm »
The great thing with the emergence of young talent is we might be able to aim for “transformers” in the key windows.
I hope AI doesn't take the game over that much.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5885 on: March 25, 2024, 04:20:18 pm »
https://twitter.com/PJBuckingham/status/1772176727055176060

Liverpool and FSG are about to embark on a multi-club strategy “to remain competitive”. A look at where the search will be focused, why and the size of club that will serve this purpose. Portugal a strong candidate.

Online G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5886 on: March 25, 2024, 05:20:02 pm »
I wonder if the location of the second club might have some bearing on the new manager?

Let's imagine it is neck and neck between Alonso and Amorim. But then let's say that FSG buy a second club in Portugal. They might see it as slightly more preferable to have a Portuguese manager, to help sync things up and provide some sort of pathway from Portugal to Anfield?

I know that will be the job of Edwards, and Hughes, who would both be above the LFC manager in the pecking order, but having the manager from the same nation as the second club might be seen as a nice bonus.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5887 on: March 25, 2024, 05:26:50 pm »
https://twitter.com/PJBuckingham/status/1772176727055176060
Liverpool and FSG are about to embark on a multi-club strategy “to remain competitive”. A look at where the search will be focused, why and the size of club that will serve this purpose. Portugal a strong candidate.

Typical FSG pretend they are skint and then buy Portugal.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5888 on: March 25, 2024, 05:31:10 pm »
I wonder if the location of the second club might have some bearing on the new manager?

Let's imagine it is neck and neck between Alonso and Amorim. But then let's say that FSG buy a second club in Portugal. They might see it as slightly more preferable to have a Portuguese manager, to help sync things up and provide some sort of pathway from Portugal to Anfield?

I know that will be the job of Edwards, and Hughes, who would both be above the LFC manager in the pecking order, but having the manager from the same nation as the second club might be seen as a nice bonus.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5889 on: March 25, 2024, 06:18:47 pm »
https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1772247311529443618

Portugal, France & Belgium considered most likely starting points
Target a small club where "protests would be minimal"?
Must have potential to be self-sustainable
Was Strasbourg too big for BlueCo?

@PJBuckingham explores Liverpool and FSG's multi-club targets.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5890 on: March 25, 2024, 06:22:38 pm »
Rumour is the French club FSG are looking at is Toulouse.  :D

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5891 on: March 25, 2024, 06:28:41 pm »
Reunion with Damien Comolli?  :o

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5892 on: March 25, 2024, 07:08:11 pm »
I thought only Everton paid Toulouse.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5893 on: March 25, 2024, 07:57:56 pm »
good article ....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68654523
Richard Hughes: Why Liverpool's 'forensic' new sporting director could 'flourish' at Anfield

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5894 on: March 25, 2024, 08:13:52 pm »
Hughes is fluent in French and Italian so you'd think that would be a greater factor than the manager's nationality.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #5895 on: March 25, 2024, 08:38:46 pm »

I'd be surprised if it wasn't high on any list

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5896 on: March 25, 2024, 09:03:38 pm »
good article ....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68654523
Richard Hughes: Why Liverpool's 'forensic' new sporting director could 'flourish' at Anfield

Says there that he is bringing two of his senior staff with him. Would they be getting a slight demotion as Fallows and Hunter have the senior scouting jobs here?

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5897 on: March 25, 2024, 09:08:17 pm »
Says there that he is bringing two of his senior staff with him. Would they be getting a slight demotion as Fallows and Hunter have the senior scouting jobs here?

A demotion and a 200% pay rise, swings and roundabouts.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5898 on: March 25, 2024, 09:20:21 pm »

"Demotion" in terms of title maybe, but wage and role (given size of club we are in comparison) likely massively increased.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5899 on: March 25, 2024, 09:41:48 pm »

There was speculation Fallows and Hunter were in the running for the SD job at a point, wasn’t there?

I’m completely speculating, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see some movement with some of the existing staff members like F&H already at the club. They’ve all been in their roles for a while, they might want something different themselves or may be in line for promotions, I’ve just no idea what their next best role would be.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5900 on: March 25, 2024, 09:51:09 pm »
"Demotion" in terms of title maybe, but wage and role (given size of club we are in comparison) likely massively increased.

Hughes is bringing in two people who do the scouting coordinator and Chief scout roles at Bournemouth and we have Fallows and Hunter who occupy the Head of Recruitment and Chief Scout roles themselves. Dont know but feels like we could see some roles and scope have to change. Maybe Hunter and Fallows become key recruiters for the group model whilst Hughes and his gang deal with Liverpool exclusively.

Feels like he is bringing in his own team so to speak and wondering whether that was in any way needed? We already have an amazing transfer, scouting and data department.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 09:55:42 pm by killer-heels »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5901 on: March 25, 2024, 10:22:17 pm »
Hughes is fluent in French and Italian so you'd think that would be a greater factor than the manager's nationality.

Michael Edwards and FSG's top brass will be picking the Manager not Richard Hughes.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5902 on: March 25, 2024, 10:38:40 pm »
How long do we truly believe Edwards and Hughes have been involved with goings on this season?

I find it hard to believe Hughes handed in his notice in November or whenever it was without a clear idea of where he was heading to. I also find it hard to believe that it took for a meeting during the Sloan conference for Edwards to be swayed to return. He might have signed the paperwork then but I’d be shocked if they’re both just getting going now. They won’t have been working day to day, but I’m firmly of the belief that our pursuit of a new manager will be heavily influenced by Edwards, Hughes, Spearman and Gordon. Again, I’d be shocked if we appointed a manager that Hughes wasn’t completely convinced by or in favour of, likewise, we won’t be appointing a manager that doesn’t want to come and work alongside Hughes.

We read that when Edwards handed in his notice, essentially Ward taken over for most of that year before officially stepping into role. I think Hughes will have been working on who our next manager is for a while.

Offline PaulD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Some things are more important .......
« Reply #5903 on: March 26, 2024, 05:47:39 am »

when will the discussion of the Academy feature when talking through the likely recruitment strategy of Edwards/Hughes?

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5904 on: March 26, 2024, 07:58:56 am »
Hughes is bringing in two people who do the scouting coordinator and Chief scout roles at Bournemouth and we have Fallows and Hunter who occupy the Head of Recruitment and Chief Scout roles themselves. Dont know but feels like we could see some roles and scope have to change. Maybe Hunter and Fallows become key recruiters for the group model whilst Hughes and his gang deal with Liverpool exclusively.

Feels like he is bringing in his own team so to speak and wondering whether that was in any way needed? We already have an amazing transfer, scouting and data department.

My thoughts exactly. I wonder whether we will get clarity on whether Fallows and Hunter's role change.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 04:45:54 pm by HardworkDedication »

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5905 on: March 26, 2024, 10:23:45 am »
How long do we truly believe Edwards and Hughes have been involved with goings-on this season?

I find it hard to believe Hughes handed in his notice in November or whenever it was without a clear idea of where he was heading to. I also find it hard to believe that it took for a meeting during the Sloan conference for Edwards to be swayed to return. He might have signed the paperwork then but I’d be shocked if they’re both just getting going now. They won’t have been working day to day, but I’m firmly of the belief that our pursuit of a new manager will be heavily influenced by Edwards, Hughes, Spearman and Gordon. Again, I’d be shocked if we appointed a manager that Hughes wasn’t completely convinced by or in favour of, likewise, we won’t be appointing a manager that doesn’t want to come and work alongside Hughes.

We read that when Edwards handed in his notice, essentially Ward taken over for most of that year before officially stepping into role. I think Hughes will have been working on who our next manager is for a while.

Last season Bournemouth brought in O'Neil as manager after we beat them 9-0 and they had an incredible turnaround and stayed up comfortably. Hughes then got rid of O'Neil and brought in Iraola. At the time Hughes handed in his notice that looked like a disastrous move.

O'Neil's Wolves started the season well and were comfortably in mid-table and were giving the top teams really tough games. Bournemouth had a terrible start to the season and won only 1 of their first 11 and had managed only 6 points from those 11 games and were in the bottom three on goal difference, with a minus 18 goal difference.

Hughes announcing his departure could easily have been more about Bournemouth's poor start than an expectation that he was going to get a top job. The first reports of Hughes handing in his notice came around the 9th of November. Given Klopp only told FSG of his intention to leave in November so I can't see the timeframe being right.   
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 10:26:15 am by Eeyore »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5906 on: March 26, 2024, 10:23:54 am »

I mean all the managers we have been linked with can speak fluent English

Alonso, Amorim, and I don't know about Nagelsmann but most Germans either know it or pick it up really quickly

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5907 on: March 26, 2024, 10:30:41 am »
My thoughts exactly. I wonder whether we will get on whether Fallows and Hunter's role change.

The likes of Fallows, Hunter and Ward came from City. Edwards, Hughes, McKee and Burchill would have Bournemouth connections. They might integrate seamlessly or there might be some friction.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5908 on: March 26, 2024, 01:40:32 pm »

Wonder if Fallows and Hunter might take on a new role that encompasses both Liverpool and the new club FSG is acquiring?

I wouldn’t be too concerned though. We’ll see what roles Burchill and McKee get but they’re probably happy to settle for ‘lesser’ roles here given I imagine we have a much bigger operation than Bournemouth. 

Also don’t have a problem with Hughes bringing folk in if it brings new thoughts, insights etc. We don’t mind when managers bring lots of staff with them, should be the same here IMO.

Michael Edwards and FSG's top brass will be picking the Manager not Richard Hughes.

He will absolutely have a say - I’d guess a big one. He’s the Sporting Director. Think people have this idea that because Edwards is around that Hughes’ version of SD will be relatively minimal and I don’t think it’s going to be the case at all. Hughes and the new boss is going to be the main relationship that drives the club - it’s imperative they see eye to eye.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5909 on: March 26, 2024, 01:42:15 pm »
Richard Hughes doesn;t take up his role before June 1st. We will have our manager signed and sealed by then. FSG aren't stupid.  :D

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #5910 on: March 26, 2024, 01:57:38 pm »
Not sure how Hughes can get involved in making decisions about Liverpool given he is employed by Bournemouth until 31st May
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5911 on: March 26, 2024, 02:01:14 pm »
Not sure how Hughes can get involved in making decisions about Liverpool given he is employed by Bournemouth until 31st May

I'm sure all parties could come to some kind of agreement, no sense in Hughes having a lot of responsibility on his shoulders at Bournemouth if he's leaving before the transfer window opens. I'd imagine a handover period probably started back in November, so by this point he might have very little to do.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5912 on: March 26, 2024, 02:10:44 pm »

I'm sure he will be in constant communication with Edwards.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5913 on: March 26, 2024, 02:12:08 pm »
Last season Bournemouth brought in O'Neil as manager after we beat them 9-0 and they had an incredible turnaround and stayed up comfortably. Hughes then got rid of O'Neil and brought in Iraola. At the time Hughes handed in his notice that looked like a disastrous move.

O'Neil's Wolves started the season well and were comfortably in mid-table and were giving the top teams really tough games. Bournemouth had a terrible start to the season and won only 1 of their first 11 and had managed only 6 points from those 11 games and were in the bottom three on goal difference, with a minus 18 goal difference.

Hughes announcing his departure could easily have been more about Bournemouth's poor start than an expectation that he was going to get a top job. The first reports of Hughes handing in his notice came around the 9th of November. Given Klopp only told FSG of his intention to leave in November so I can't see the timeframe being right.

Both O'Neil and Iraola look good appointments (now) but both at the time seemed poor. Getting rid of O'Neil looked poor (even at the time). Of course we do not know how much pressure the owners placed on Hughes.

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/why-bournemouth-decided-to-sack-gary-oneil-after-guaranteeing-premier-league-survival/

I hope it was mainly Foley rather than Hughes because that would suggest Hughes has more sense than sometimes it has appeared. O'Neil and Hughes were teammates at Portsmouth.

Wolves are currently above Bournemouth despite their recent financial challenges
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #5914 on: March 26, 2024, 02:27:14 pm »

It feels great to be influencing important insiders like the Mole.

I have been wondering about Toulouse, which Red Bird owns, for a long time. I wonder if FSG would try to work something out with them as well, after Portugal.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5915 on: March 26, 2024, 02:39:26 pm »
You are my North Star my friend.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5916 on: March 26, 2024, 02:53:52 pm »
Richard Hughes doesn;t take up his role before June 1st. We will have our manager signed and sealed by then. FSG aren't stupid.  :D

Edwards doesn’t take up his role until then either  ;)

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5917 on: March 26, 2024, 03:01:46 pm »
See, this is where you've not been keeping up to date with rumours. Rumour is Edwards was back unofficially in December, not so long after Klopp said to FSG he is off.  :D

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5918 on: March 26, 2024, 03:03:45 pm »

I don't think Edwards is quite as conflicted as Hughes, Imagine if we had a director of football who was spending a load of time whilst employed here advising say, Wolves or Fulham (ie not a direct rival).
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5919 on: March 26, 2024, 03:04:14 pm »

Where is that from? I'd be surprised if he hasn't well started given he wasn't under contract to another club.